• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Tutorial BBCode Basics

Error 420

One Thousand Club
So, you're typing up an RP as just normal text, and as you're browsing the rest of what the site has to offer, you find that other RP's are using fancy buttons and pictures and images, and making you seem like a chump. But have no fear! BBCode is easy to use.

The first thing you should know is how a BBCode works.

Basically, a basic code has two parts, one at the beginning and end. For example, if I wanted to make it so that somebody would have to click on a button in order to read text, I would make a spoiler.

Hello, World!

And how that works is the following, just typed right into the thread.

Code:
 [SPOILER] Hello, World! [/SPOILER]

Notice the tags, SPOILER and /SPOILER. These are the beginning and end of the code. The first one tells the site the beginning of the code, SPOILER.
This is surrounded by brackets, as seen in the example above. Some sites use < and > symbols, and occasionally { and }.

So, if I were to write the command, SPOILER, but didn't follow it up with an ending, it would not result in a spoiler.

If I put an unfinished spoiler,
, it would carry over into the next spoiler and become a layered spoiler, which can be useful. For example,
Hello, World!

Other commands are a bit more complex, and have arguments. For example, if I wanted to quote Abraham Lincoln, I would write

Abraham Lincoln said:
"Don't trust everything you see on the internet."

In original BBCode, this turns out to be
Code:
 [QUOTE=Abraham Lincoln] 
"Don't trust everything you see on the internet."
[/QUOTE]

Notice how it says QUOTE=. After that = sign is our argument, Abraham Lincoln. This gives the code more information, so it says that Abraham Lincoln said that.

This, however is just the bare basics of BBCode, and there's hundreds and hundreds of commands for you to use and an entire world of design to tap into. If you're smarter and better at BBCode than me, plese make some tutorials for others to use, it really helps.

NOTE:
For the commands, I used capital letters. This is a personal choice, and I don't think it's necessary on this site.

Quick, hopefully very easy question, is there a way to adjust the size of the text within the bbcode itself? I'm attempting a code that would look tons better if it had larger text, but Rpn text only expands to 7 nowadays.

Quick, hopefully very easy question, is there a way to adjust the size of the text within the bbcode itself? I'm attempting a code that would look tons better if it had larger text, but Rpn text only expands to 7 nowadays.
If you're using the rich text editor, that is using the (size) code.
If you want a big title then the (h) and (sh) codes would work (hopefully) or a site like fontmeme, which gives you tons of fonts, words of your choice, and outputs in a picture with transparent background.

If you're using the rich text editor, that is using the (size) code.
If you want a big title then the (h) and (sh) codes would work (hopefully) or a site like fontmeme, which gives you tons of fonts, words of your choice, and outputs in a picture with transparent background.
Catharsis Catharsis Yes, it's with the SIZE tag.

Hello, World!

Code:
[size=30] Hello, World! [/size]
Oh heck, I didn't think of header.

Thanks! i actually tried to size but it didn't work so i thought i was doing it wrong, all better now, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back