• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Suggestion BB with Backgrounds

IdyllicDreamer

Dragon's Dream
Roleplay Type(s)
I have noticed that a number of the codes I have seen, which either have backgrounds or specify what color the background should be at all times, neglect to actually add in a specified color for the font. My own codes tend to be dark, as the darker color theme feels easier on my eyes, which is why I used NightMode for RPNation.

I know not everyone would share my choice, and that my writing in my codes would be very, very, difficult to read for anyone on the LightMode. So I made sure to specify the color of the font, which also would help in case anyone using my codes decided to change the background, or such.

Very few other codes I have seen actually do that, using the lighter coloration of a background in Lightmode looks perfectly fine, but in NightMode is becomes a struggle to read what is happening.

This isn't meant to be a critique, or state there is a problem in everyone's coding, I was simply hoping to raise awareness about something that may come up to other members. I can't be the only one who uses NightMode.

We cannot force inject a font color because in order to do something like that we'd need a hypothetical program to read the entire code and figure out what font color to put and where, and letting something automated do something like that wouldn't go very well (risks of breaking someone's code or making the user upset the the font color the hypothetical program could select would look bad to them).

The only thing you can do is just let a user know you can't read their post because they forgot to specify the font color.

Oh, no I didn't mean for the website to do that, I was just saying I think individual BBcoders, when making what they share, could consider the idea of adding in a specified color if they chose to specify a background.

Oh, no I didn't mean for the website to do that, I was just saying I think individual BBcoders, when making what they share, could consider the idea of adding in a specified color if they chose to specify a background.
The only way that happens is if they do it. ;3 I sometimes just forget to include it in mine since I tend to stick with one theme. It's why I suggested you could only inform them politely about font-color issues when you come across them because they either may not have known that the font color changes in a different theme or simply forgot to include it in their code. Many users take codes offered by others because they don't know how to code themselves and that could have been something they were supposed to alter themselves.

Of course, no one could just force them to add it in, that would be silly. I just wanted to try and raise 'awareness' so to speak.

I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself if not for the mention in the rules about coloring font in posts as potentially making it harder for some people to read.

Of course, no one could just force them to add it in, that would be silly. I just wanted to try and raise 'awareness' so to speak.

I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself if not for the mention in the rules about coloring font in posts as potentially making it harder for some people to read.
That's only in certain areas of the site, areas like community hub, staff contact, etc where it's best to just not code so people can read it without difficulty (such as us Staff). Roleplay areas are free game XD

There isn't much to be done awareness wise. We wouldn't want to pester the whole site with an announcement, not everyone would read it anyway. XD Believe me, we've had jokes about forcing font-sizes to at least be a minimum size because of how hard it makes it to read certain things users post with 6-9px font sizes, lol.

No, no, see I'm the announcement. The lone freedom fighter with a very vague cause.

Maybe Suggestion was the wrong prefix to use?

No, no, see I'm the announcement. The lone freedom fighter with a very vague cause.

Maybe Suggestion was the wrong prefix to use?
Lol, no suggestion is fine since you are suggesting to the masses to remember about the font colors. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back