• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Closed BB Code Tests

Did You enjoy the look of my coding ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's cool but not quite my style

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uasal

The Swiftest Shot In The West
This Is a place away from my private workshop where I'll post some BB Codes for testing. Some may be repeated but that's simply for fun, or because I've changed something minute. I may post the codes I think are cool or nice for you guys to use but to be honest I'm not anywhere near capable of pulling off some of the amazing things other people do, but I hope that at some stage I will be.

The stuff I post in this form will have a focus on making it look cool or nice, yet I'm going to also but some readable content in here too, just in case you fancy a read while checking out my stuff (plus I need to make sure it looks cool with text XD). Have fun guys and you can PM me with any questions or criticism.

Thank you

The following posts include information about the plot of 'Children of Men'

Thelonious Faron

theo faron 1.jpg

Alias: Theo

Personality:
Theo is a kind man who has been somewhat removed from his former self as a result of current world events. Theo Is not a violent man, while he is not afraid to use violence when needed, he does try his best to abstain from it.

Theo likes coffee, alcohol, and smoking. He also enjoys being in the company of his friend Jasper and also that of his ex-wife Julian. He also enjoys discussing current world events.

Dislikes:

Theo dislikes the current state of society. He strongly disagrees with the treatment of refugees and was very verbal about this in his early years.

What is this character to the plot ?:
Theo is the hero of the movie. He is an apathetic and disillusioned former political activist. Theo has lost all hope for humankind until he becomes the unexpected guardian to Kee -- the mother of the last baby on Earth. Theo then embarks on a perilous journey that will revive the hope that he has long forgotten.

Bio:
Theo Faron is an everyday man, seemingly apathetic former political activist. He is somehow loved by animals (as animals are often seen to approach him gently). He befriends Jasper Palmer, a former political cartoonist. Theo had a son named Dylan who died on the flu pandemic of 2008. Because of his son's death, Theo grew apart from his wife Julian Taylor whom he first met in a rally against the government. He also has a cousin named Nigel who works as a minister

Relationship/Crush: Theo has an ex-wife named Julian Taylor who he still holds feeling for.

Julian Taylor

MV5BMTQ0OTY4NTI5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTE2NzE3._V1_.jpg

Alias: Julian

Personality:
Julian is a very passionate individual. Once she decides to do something she will see it through to the very end no matter the risks involved. Julian can be very verbal about what she believes in however she knows when its best to let an argument slide. Altogether Julian is a very strong character with a stern grasp on her life and goals.

Julian enjoys the company of the fishes and is also quite fond of Kee. Julian enjoys working alongside the fishes and is overjoyed when she knows that her organisation has made a change, no matter how small.

Dislikes:

Julian dislikes the current state of government in great Britain. Julian absolutely despises how immigrants are treated and also the unfair system in which the upper-class are so privileged.

Julian is the tough and intelligent leader of the underground rebel group, the Fishes, and also Theo’s ex-wife. And although their marriage ended because of their only son’s death, Julian still entrusts Theo with the fate of humankind.

Bio:
Julian is a former human rights activist who was at the forefront of the news in her earlier days. It was through her campaigning that she met her former husband Theo. Julian had a child named Dylan with Theo but unfortunately it died in the flu pandemic of 2008. The death of the child lead Julian to the break up of her marriage and also towards a spiralling road of severe depression.

However after being relieved of her depression Julian formed a band of 'terrorists' called the fishes, and lead them to actively seek out unjust behaviours in society.

Relationship/Crush: Julian is the ex-wife of Theo Faron whom she still holds feeling for.

Kee

MV5BMTk4MzQ2MTE3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc2NzE3._V1_.jpg

Alias: Kee

Personality:
Kee is a very awkward character. Kee questions the actions of everyone around her and is very harsh in terms of who she trusts. Kee is a very pleasant person to those she trusts and is also vey caring as well, however she does prioritise herself in a crisis.

Kee enjoys peace and quiet, being with her child and being within the company of both Julian and Theo.

Dislikes:

Kee hates to imagine a dreaded future for her child and also hates it when she is told what to do by those who deem themselves above her.

carries within her a baby in a world that has been infertile in 18 years. Kee exudes an aura of youth, positivity and life in a dark and hopeless world. Since she bears the future of the whole human race in her, she would be an extremely valuable asset to anyone who possesses her.

Bio:
Kee is the only woman in recent years to bear a child and as a result sought protection from the notorious terrorist group the fishes. Upon receiving said protection, a plan was set in motion for Kee to escape the county and unfortunately Kee was overpowered with the complex plan and was practically dragged along by everyone.

Relationship/Crush: Kee is being guarded by Theo

Summary

The year is 2027 and the world’s youngest citizen has just died at 18 years of age. As women have become infertile and no children have been born for 18 years, humankind is facing its own extinction. Confronting massive waves of immigrants, Britain, the world’s only functioning state, rounds up all of the illegal immigrants for deportation.

The film’s protagonist, Theo Faron, has just narrowly escaped a bombing reportedly attributed to an underground pro-immigration guerrilla group called the Fishes. Shaken by the incident, Theo visits his friend Jasper, a former political activist who lives in seclusion with his catatonic wife.

The next day, Theo is captured by the Fishes and reunites with his former wife, Julian, who leads the group. Julian first tells Theo that the Fishes were not responsible for the earlier bombing and asks Theo to secure a few transit papers. Theo is then able to secure them due to his connections within the government. However, these papers state that Theo must accompany the refugee that the papers are meant for.

Theo joins the refugee, Kee, her midwife, Miriam, Julian and her friend, Luke, on a drive to the southern coast of England. On the way, they are attacked by a mob and Julian is killed. In their escape, a police car stops them and Luke ends up killing two policemen. Luke then finds another car and drives everyone back to a safe house on a farm.

At the farm, Kee reveals to Theo that she is 8-months pregnant and that Julian told her to only trust him. The Fishes then decide what to do with Kee. While Theo thinks that Kee's pregnancy should be made public, the FIshes think that the government will use the baby as a political tool. Kee agrees with the Fishes and decides to stay on the farm until the child is born.

That night, Theo wakes up to the commotion outside and sees two members of the mob who killed Julian coming inside the safe house. Theo finds out that Luke and the Fishes killed Julian and want to use the baby to unite people for their revolt. Theo then steals a car and narrowly escapes the Fishes with Miriam and Kee.

Theo seeks refuge at Jasper’s house. Jasper then arranges for Kee to board a ship named

“Tomorrow” from the Human Project – a group of scientists committed to curing human infertility. The plan is that Kee would be slipped in the waters near an immigrant camp called Bexhill with the help of Jasper's friend, Syd.

The Fishes eventually finds Jasper’s home. Jasper quickly finds Theo a car and shows him an escape route while he stays behind. Jasper euthanizes his wife before the Fishes kills him for not giving up information.

Theo drives to an old school to rest and wait for Syd. There, Miriam talks about her work as a maternity nurse and the onset of female sterilization. Syd arrives and takes everyone to Bexhill. On the way, Kee goes into labor. In order to protect Kee, Miriam fakes religious mania and was taken away. Inside the camp, Kee manages to hide her pregnancy and meets Marichka – Syd’s contact, who provides Kee and Theo with a safe place to stay. Right after Kee and Theo arrive in their room, Kee gives birth to a baby girl.

The next morning, Marichka and Syd tell Theo and Kee of the Fishes’ uprising in Bexhill. The national guards have also mobilized their forces to contain the revolt. Syd and Marichka are dumbfounded after seeing Kee’s baby. Theo, Marichka and Kee then manage to escape Syd after he tries to turn Theo in.

Luke later took Kee away while Theo and Marichka are left to be executed. Theo is able to flee when a battle breaks out. Theo then finds Kee with Luke in an apartment bombarded by the national guards. As Theo attempts to escape with Kee, Luke fires at Theo but is killed shortly after. When Theo and Kee find their way out of the apartment, everyone stops at the sight of Kee’s baby. As Theo and Kee walk away, the fighting resumes. Theo and Kee find Marichka and rows away on a boat Marichka found for them. However, Marichka refuses to go.

Theo and Kee stop at a buoy where they were supposed to meet the “Tomorrow”. On the boat, Kee discovers that Theo has been shot. Kees tells Theo that she will name her baby Dylan – Theo’s son’s name. From the boat they witness an aerial bombing of Bexhill by fighter-bombers. Theo dies just as the Tomorrow arrives.

The Similarities

'Children of Men' may seem very far fetched to many a person at first glance, however upon inspecting it closer one would find many similarities between the movie and the real world.

Infertility
The inability to fertilise, produce and or carry a female egg to birth. This is the disaster that has plagued the world of the movie. For eighteen years the no known woman in the entire world has been fertile. But is this only in the movie world ?

While yes it is true that the majority of humans are fertile, infertility is slowly becoming more and more of a threat. About 6% of married women 15–44 years of age in the United States are Infertile, that's approximately 1.6 million women in the US alone. And unfortunately this number is rising due to the life style of modern day mankind. Someday infertility might wipe humanity out altogether ! Scary.

War
War huh yeh , what is it good for ? Absolutely nothing !
Fortunately for the 'undertaker' not all problems can be solved by the amazing musical talents of Edwin Starr. War is a massive problem in modern day society. Several small wars are constantly being fought around the world and along side them are larger scaled wars in which superpowers test their new munitions.

As in real life the movie states war in raging in the middle eastern region of the world. And similarly , people have fled from these countries to seek refuge in a safer country. Which again has lead to over population and a racist party sprouting up in parliament. A coincidence some might say, a similarity says I !
'Oh, war, I despise, 'Cause it means destruction of innocent lives'.
Sing on.... sing on.

Class Systems
In the movie the upper class are privileged beyond compare while the middle and lower classes are left to fight for the scraps that are left behind. This is a drastic exaggeration of current world systems. However the similarities are in place to act as a bleak reminder that money really does hold a lot of influence in modern day society.
Oh all the things I could do, if I had a little money !

Fun Facts

Director: Alfonso Cuarón

Writers: Alfonso Cuarón, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby.

The Book: The Children of Men novel was written by P.D. James and basic information about the book can be accessed here. An excellent article was written by Caryn James on the New York Times comparing the book to the cinematic adaptation. The article is very well-written and thought-provoking. It has my highest recommendations.

Release Date: September 3, 2006

Estimated Budget: $76,000,000

Running Time: 109 minutes

Motion Picture Rating: R for strong violence, language, some drugs and brief nudity

Production Company: Universal Pictures, Strike Entertainment, Hit & Run Productions

Theo Faron is Greek for "The God of the Lighthouses" while Kee's name is a homophone for "chi" (also can be pronounced CHEE) which means the energy or force of life itself.

In the movie it is women who have become infertile, while In the original novel by P.D. James, it was men. In the book, the infertility crisis is the result of all men producing no sperm.

In the movie, Theo and Julian's son Dylan died from a disease epidemic, while in the book it was a daughter Natalie who was killed when Theo backed out of the driveway and accidentally ran her over. Both the film and book show this death as the reason for their separation.

When Miriam is taken off the bus at Bexhill, the camera pans by several cages with prisoners inside. One of them is the infamous "hooded man" from the Abu Ghraib prison torture pictures. He is seen in the exact pose as the real pictures.

When Owen enters the dining room in Battersea power station, the large black and white mural behind him is Pablo Picasso's "Guernica." The same image is drawn on the wall of the tunnel which Theo and Kee use to escape in the rowboat. The painting was Picasso's reaction to the Nazi bombing of Guernica, Spain during the Spanish Civil War, which killed an estimated 1,600 civilians.

At Jasper's safe house, Jasper discusses the death of Theo's son during a flu pandemic. During the scene, the soundtrack plays music from Kindertotenlieder ("Child Death Songs") by Gustav Mahler, a song lamenting the death of the artist's children.

The Use Of Music

Music plays a strong role in almost every movie ever made, be it in the form of a catchy theme song, the memorable tune that's played in a time of suspense and about anywhere between the two. Contrary to common belief that song that's played at the start of your favorite movie and the one that's played at the end tell their own story and contrast well with each other on purpose. The intro song is commonly used to draw the audience into a false feeling of security or a state of anticipation, where as the outro music is commonly used to portray what happened in the movie from the start right to the end. In fact the reason the outro became so popular in recent years is for that very reason !

However, Children of men stems away from this thought as during the credits the focus is not on the music but more so the sound of children laughing. This is to portray hope to the viewer and helps the viewer to digest the ending of the movie in the way the director wished it to be.
This is not to say music did not play an important role of course, it simply means that the role was reinforced somewhere else. And it was.

As opposed to spending the majority of the music budget on the outro music, the budget was used on several songs for use within critical scenes. And due to this being the only source of music throughout the movie, it's effects were enhanced by simple tricks of the mind. Alfonzo was a smart man and utilized this to portray his documentation like play writing to its fullest. In addition to the story that was being told the music ran away ahead of time building suspense and also alerting the audience to a very brief hind of what was to come moments later. Not many people would allow the music to run ahead as it tends to spoil and 'epic' scene. However It's important to know that Alfonzo wanted his movie to feel like a documentary about a story everyone knew, by leading by mere moments it lures the audience into experiencing the movie this way without spoiling the movie.

In children of men, music is vital !

Memorable Quotes

Jasper: What did you do for your birthday?

Theodore Faron: Nothing.

Jasper: Oh come on, you must have done something.

Theodore Faron: Nope. Woke up, felt like shit. Went to work, felt like shit.

Jasper: That's called a hangover, Amigo.

Miriam: As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in. Very odd, what happens

in a world without children's voices.

Newsreader: Day 1,000 of the Siege of Seattle.

Newsreader: The Muslim community demands an end to the Army's occupation of mosques.

Newsreader: The Homeland Security bill is ratified. After eight years, British borders will

remain closed. The deportation of illegal immigrants will continue. Good morning. Our

lead story.

Theodore Faron: Who's the father?

Kee: Whiffet! I'm a virgin. Nah! Be great, though, wouldn't it? Fuck knows. I don't know

half the wankers' names.

Theodore Faron: Julian? I haven't seen you in twenty years. You look good. The picture the police

have of you doesn't do you justice.

Julian Taylor: What do the police know about justice?

Julian Taylor: Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells

dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Julian Taylor: You're smoking?

Theodore Faron: Yeah; it's not working.

Kee: Froley.

Theodore Faron: Froley.

Kee: Name my baby Froley.

Theodore Faron: It's the first baby in 18 years. You can't call it Froley.

Kee: Says who?

Theodore Faron: Oh yeah, there you go, that's what you always do when it gets tough, you walk away.

Julian Taylor: This is our stop.

Patric: This never fucking happened, so don't go telling tales 'cause we'll be watching you. At work,

when you sleep, when you have a piss, we'll be watching. All the fucking time.

Theodore Faron: Jeez, your breath stinks.

Patric: No, it doesn't.

Theodore Faron: Yes, it does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back