Other Battle within a RolePlay

Darth Tangent

Time Lord
I consider myself to be a fairly experienced roleplayer. I have been a part of, helped create and supervise several roleplays here and on other medias. Fantasy or Fandom are the genres I typically gravitate towards. Naturally, fighting is quite a big part of that. Yet have I to use a system or mechanics similar to the likes of D&D and other games. Anything battle wise I've been a part of has been improvised on every participant's part with the standard roleplay description. This has led to a lot of standstill player battles of neither party agreeing on how a character should lose, or if they should even lose at all. Especially when it comes to what moves should land given any current circumstance. Bottomline, what systems or mechanics have you used for pretty battle oriented roleplays? I'll be starting my first rp soon and would like to know.

If it's an advanced dice roleplay, go with one of the many systems already out there. I can't help you with that. If you want to have it simple and open enough where the majority of people can use it, I encourage you to try making your own. You're not relying on someone else's definition of what is easy; you're relying on your own. You have that firsthand experience so you know what's a pain to go through and how combat will eventually flow personally. It's like buying a tailor-made suit. Sure you can get a suit that every other person buys and it fits okay (established dice systems), but when you take the time to get the perfect fit for YOU (self-created system), you feel much more comfortable and snug.

Target what you want and kick all the extra to the curb. HP? Check. MP? Check. Critical hits? Check. Dodges? Check.

^ Don't go adding things like a morality system, resurrection, elemental modifiers, positioning bonuses, if you don't need them to play. Cut right to it and spend your energy on making what you need, feel right. Leave all the icing and extra stuff out of it. Unless you are a game developer or have large experience with systems, don't add things that sound cool, but you know nothing about. It will only trip you.

Try fate core. It's a light dice roll system that's heavier for the gm, rather than the players. Many of the things you would want, such as resolution to a standstill. Are often solved by dice roll.

Player wants to jump a chasm.
Gm imposes a number
Player can roll against it and use a stunt dice to make it more likely to work

Very simple stuff. The nuance comes from the gm needing to balance difficulty vs fun

One little piece of advice I have for non-dice combat is called the ⅓ rule. One in three attacks MUST land and MUST do damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back