• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Synergy JADE

Aspiring Human Being
In the hours before dawn, the gathering of Lore’s people reached its conclusion. After a week of tournaments, magical spectacle, and unequaled grandeur, the royal families gathered for the largest and grandest feast on the final day. Secured by the best magic users in the land, this was a time to celebrate 210 years of friendship between the 7 kingdoms.
Runia castle.jpg
But treachery awaits.

In the hours after midnight, Petrus, King of Zerona led a troop of Onor's most skilled assassins and black sources into Runia Castle. In one calculated blow, this elite group destroyed Lore’s rulers and it’s few powerful sorcerers. Onor’s forces flooded in, destroying their defenses at the Great River, taking the castle for the first time in its long history.
RP1.jpg
Blood runs from the stones.

With the capital’s people in shambles, many are enslaved or subjugated. People begin to disappear to pay the life debt of dark magic. Onor searches for the Dragon’s Eye, a magical artifact that allows the user to wield magic without restraint.

Intro1.jpg
Smoke rises from the palace.

Onor’s forces make for Zerona’s borders, preparing to invade Tidal and Chaan before the people can unite. The war has begun. Who will survive this Battle for the Continent?

Intro2.jpeg
The sun rises.

Last edited:
RPG.jpg
Enter Auria
It was all a dream. Feasting and laughter rang like music in the depths of my memory. Everything hurt. But that dream hurt most of all.
The dead eyes of my brothers stared back at me. My mother falling across the table, her life's blood draining from her neck. My father stabbed through the heart.
So. Much. Blood.
It had to be a dream. Onor didn’t belong in Runia castle. They belonged in ports and taverns. Or passed out on the street sleeping with dogs. Not in my home. Not killing like wolves among sheep.
I was too scared to run. To move. Too afraid even to let them kill me. I just watched. My father was the first to die, a sorcerer appearing out of thin air and stabbing him through the chest. Crossbow bolts flew through the air. My brother, Erzan dropped in the middle of the great hall and his guards fell then too, one smashed across the helmet, his skull split. The screaming hummed in my brain. The smell of gore churning my stomach. But still, I did not move.
That’s when they came for me. The daughter of Runia. Secondborn, but sister to three brothers whose blood was splattered across my shoes. They led me away from that hall into another nightmare. I think I fought them, but the shock has erased so much.
From the blur in my memory, I am tempted to say they took my innocence, but that doesn’t capture this horrible dream. No. They just tore my soul and body apart until they were too small to put back together ever again. I will not remember their faces now. I cannot or the dream will become real.
When they were finished, they locked me in the old watchtower. It has long since been built around by the home that I knew. But some great ruler declared it should remain in its place over the river as a monument to the old world. Back when magic was plentiful and artifacts like the Dragon’s Eye hadn’t passed into legend.
On those cold stones, that is when I remember being able to move again. I had to wake up. I had to wake up from this nightmare.
Outside the window the flames had begun. Smoke burned my already dry throat as it hit my face. I went to the other window. A hundred feet below the river crashed, specks of red and black spraying against white stone.
Ghostly smoke danced at my feet as I stepped up onto the windowsill. My hand moved from covering my naked breast and reached out to the sky. The sun broke over the horizon, turning illuating the decimation below. Blood ran from my fingers and fell like rain on the white rocks below.
I raised my chin towards the sun. A prayer formed on my lips and cracked from my throat. “Whatever gift of magic is within me. Give me the power to live." I breathed as the flames rose higher on the tower walls. "And in the names of my dead brothers. In the names of my parents, the rulers of Runia, let me never stand still again until I have justice for my family, my people, and my continent.”
With that, I stepped off the balcony.

voin-muzhchina-art-boroda-volosy-perchatka-kurtka.jpg

---------

The ruined castle was alive with activity, the sound blended together in his mind and became a single cacophony of noise that dulled his senses. The burned remains of buildings crackled as the embers that remained growled with a hunger to consume what was no longer left to consume, soldiers talked all around him, a myriad of languages, most of which Lorne had no idea to the meaning, but he did not need to. Such talk was always the same, regardless of where they descended from. The talk of men and women who survived, eager to forget the terrible things they had done once the river had been breached, once the walls had fallen, once.... Once the fight had been over. The water skin felt so heavy in his massive hand, his eyes traced the thing, so small, so insignificant and yet he could not find the strength to lift it to his lips. The wooden stool he had salvaged from a ruin groaned under his bulk whenever he shifted and it was only good fortune that the charred wood had not given up as the castle already had. The memories of the day before would not leave his mind, what happened to the people, the servants, the workers, the women.. Something had happened to the soldiers, something had come over them and Lorne could not say what... Nor had he tried to stop it. He had ignored what they were doing, ignored the pleas for aid, the screams to stop, he had not cared. He had walked past it all, through the fire to find her. He had killed so many that tried to stop him, that tried to slow him, but she hadn't been there. Sigrid was not there. His calloused hand tightened like an iron ball as the water skin exploded in his hand, the water splashed across the dirty street, the once clean, pure liquid became stained black from soot as it trickled down the stone. He had done it all for nothing.

"No rampages this time, giant," A smooth voice said as it sliced through the noise around him, Lorne lifted his head to see the Onor captain, young, a noble of some stalk, at least, that is what the man had said and Lorne had not cared enough to commit the information to memory. The thin man ran a clean hand across the large, stylized mustache that arched above his lip, a thin smile stretched itself across his face. His armor was ornate and clean, his slaves no doubt just finished the coat of polish to hide the stain of what had happened, "You gave the lads quite the fright," he continued, his rich voice filled with mirth, "They were all too afraid to get close to you when you were throwing that tantrum of yours in their little... well, I don't know what your people call it."

"What do you want, Rylind?" Lorne said, his voice harsh from the smoke that had filled his lungs the night before, burned its way through his body.

"No need to get that tone, my friend," Rylind said as he raised his hands in mock surrender, and Lorne noted, one of which held a large pouch of coin, "Just here to deliver payment and make an offer," he finished before he tossed the filled bag over to Lorne. Lorne made no move to catch it as the bag hit the hard stone, the sound of coins clinking together filled the air and the voices that were so active around stopped as the telltale sound caught their attention... But it took only a single look at Lorne for them to think better of it and go back to their own looting.

Lorne eyed the dark bag, he hadn't done this for the coin. It should have been the last, he should have found her. She should have been here. His jaw tightened and his teeth gritted together so hard that part of him wondered if they were about to splinter, this had all been for nothing. Aldire had been sure. The message had been sure. She was here. She had to be. He needed her to be. Oblivious to the thoughts of the Orgrillon, Rylind continued, "The commander was quite impressed with your... efficiency. You left quite the impression on the others, remarkable. Does it bother you? Killing your own people for coin? It shouldn't. Its just the way of the world, sooner or later, this land was going to become a part of Onor. Just the way of it all,"

No, Lorne had felt no remorse as he had killed the men and women who had manned the walls. He had no loyalty to this place of stone, he never had. His home had been in the ashlands, a small village surrounded by monsters. He had not cared about the royalty of the Ashlands, people that lived leagues away and yet claimed to own the land they bled on just because they were born... Why would he care about the royalty of this land? A land he had never bothered to learn the name of before the months prior. No, he had ties here, but that didn't mean he...

The captain continued he waved his hand in the air as if describing the weather with his dressing slave, "But he wants to continue this.. friendship. Full contract, I'll be sure to read it to you like last time," his voice held a hint of scorn, "For the conquest of this rabble land. Gold, slaves, maybe even a bit of land, not bad for a mercenary, right? Think of all the-"

"No."

"No?" Rylind repeated, his sculpted eyebrows raised in surprise and for the first time, he looked at a loss of words. "By the hells, what do you mean no? You think you'll get a better deal then that?"

Lorne's dark eyes took in the young Onor captain, a man who bathed in oils, pampered and groomed for power he had never earned, "No."

"Then what? You thinking about joining up with the rabble? I'd think twice about that, giant," Rylind said, his hand reached down for the hilt of the curved blade that hung at his waist, an empty gesture, Rylind would never try to fight him.. at least, not personally.

"No," Lorne repeated, his voice harder then the stone beneath his feat.

"No, no, no," Rylind mocked as he repeated the words, "Is that the only word you know, you dumb brute? What do you think will happen if you leave? You think we are just going to forget that you told us no? When you are starving as our forces sweep this land of sheep fuckers pretending to be people, you think we will just let you come back? Maybe if you crawl back to me, on hands and knees, I'll let you join my house guard, a slave, of course, but better then your kind-" His words died as Lorne picked up the coin purse and stood, the mismatched armor that covered his large body groan and shifted.

Lorne stepped towards the captain, his heavy boots crunched through splintered wood and Rylind flinched as his ember eyes fell upon the wicked axe and hammer at his waist, his own grip tightened on the hilt of his blade, his knuckles white as the noise around them once more ended. Soldiers of Onor stopped in their looting, stopped in their act of piling the dead to watch as Lorne stepped closer and closer to their captain. "Wha-!" Rylind started, indigination momentarily replaced his shock but his face blanched as Lorne's massive hand gripped his pauldron, his hand wrapped nearly entirely around it and Rylind heard the metal groan under the pressure as Loren squeezed, "Farewell, Rylind. I will not look for you on the field," he said and passed the captain. His steps echoed heavily through the castle of ghost. He wasn't sure where he was going, where he could go, but it didn't matter. He'd find her.

Last edited:
1-2-3-4...how about a bloody war?

This was a whole mess. Kidari wasn't planning on staying in the city for long-maybe snag a job for a few days to get some extra money-but then a bloodbath at the festival that would make her sick, and soon enough the murder of any magic user through Runia. Kiki was getting out of there, currency be damned.
Dark cloths that concealed her mouth and horns and her tail tucked into her clothing was enough to make guards not see her or think she was a homeless woman, which isn't exactly a lie, but it wasn't a truth either. The flames signed the edges of the cloths, but didn't hurt her-she didn't let them hurt her.
Kidari was approaching the watchtower, the castle, where she could see men surging into the stronghold. She didn't have to be a genius to know they were most likely Onor forces, but the extra banner of the kingdom of Zerona caught her eye. "The hell...?" the tiefling mused, before quickly running across a fallen tree through the embers that were catching the branches aflame. She didn't want to stay here, she didn't need to anymore.
Kidari used the flames to her advantage, jumping across fire and moving the flames to obscure any scouts or lookouts. As she was about to cross the river's edge in the shadow of the watchtower, a figure caught her peripheral. They were on the balcony, stretching themselves to the sky...and jumped off.
"Shhhhit!" Kidari instinctively reacted, jumping and latching themselves in a second onto the watchtower's side, and springing off the side of the tower. It would only be a few seconds for the person to hit the water, and the drop would've broken their bones or even killed the person as soon as they hit the river; Kidari messily collided with the fallen person, and with the both of their weight, hit the opposite side of the river with a large splash. The current of the river rushed and pulled at the both of them, and soon enough both Kidari and this unknown person were dragged and rushed down the waterway.
"GASP!" The tiefling broke the top of the water, tight grip on the hair of the...woman? She wasn't gonna let them go, not now, not while the both of them were being dragged through the river. Shouts from the castle watchtower alerted Kiki, and in an instant the demonkin used her dark clothing to cover this woman as best as they could, and they held tight as the current pulled them down water-away from the chaos, away from the ruins, away from the Onor forces.
-----
The duo spent who knows how long floating down the river, but soon enough the sun was much higher than before and the current pushed them onto rocky shore of a light forrest. It took a minute for Kidari to regain her bearings, but she shook her head to keep focus. Kiki looked up at the sky-"I would say early to middle of the morning," the tiefling mused-before pinching the bridge of her nose.
"What in all that is holy has happened...?" She gave a glance at her newfound companion, and quickly shifted her gaze away as Kiki realized that this woman was as bare as a baby. "Crap." She didn't expect it, she didn't see it, and even the very quick sight of the woman's body brought a twinge of pink to her cheeks. It took her a moment to quash the sudden feelings, but Kiki turned back to the woman, biting her bottom lip in focus. The water was cold enough to keep the tiefling shivering, especially if you had nothing on; Kiki quickly uncovered her dark-colored cloths and wrung them out from their soaked state, only having some light but durable and stretchable leather armor underneath.
She wrapped the coverings around the other's body, making sure it couldn't be easily pulled off or drop off the body, before focusing for the moment, breathing in-then out. Her tail flicked absentmindedly as her body drew upon itself and sparked a light and harmless but warm fire into her hands, the tiefling holding her warming hands over the princess' body. She didn't know if the other passed out or not, but at least she wanted the other to not freeze.

The Statue Beneath The Sea

946810265_preview_fh-ubi-berserker-trailer-712x712_Desktop_269608.jpg
“Careful…careful…” someone called the swaying ship, a man trying to keep his nerve under control “Just a little more-DAMMIT I SAID CAREFUL!” Though it would seem that the waves of the waters were nothing compared to the rise and fall in his heart, not that their presence helped or amused him in any form or fashion.
From the side of the ship, willing some pulley system into working adequately if not properly, the man recently berated replied “I am being careful, but this damn thing doesn't want to come loose with me-see. Had easier time talking my way out of not paying the tab after a night at the bar.” He continued his struggle with the gears and ropes, pondering at how they moved slower as time moved.
“If you cost me this score, I'll make it so that you'll ne'er have to worry about that trouble again” the first man was having none it, his fury was nearing its clutching point and it was all he could do to stay civil. “I'll give you all the drink you can muster, for now er mor” his gaze turned the waters, cursing them far worse than his fellow ship mate. How long have they been out here, doing circles in the sea, combing its floor in search of treasure to get rich on. It had become an important source of income for him and his crew, a staple of business. How many Learned Book Men would pay handsomely for some old things that sank beneath the wave, his pockets had become acutely aware over the few years he's been into this. Many would gather at Runia this time of year, all the kingdoms would pay their respects and share their glories. But this man didn't care for such festivity, for the true glory in his life growing fat from his lucrative findings.

That said, this particular year had been…less fortunate for his entrepreneurship. It just felt like…the ocean was working against him some how, as if the world had an agenda and tasked the sea with tormenting the man with sweet promises of nothing. It was a madness, he had no doubt, but he had the sliver of hope it was something.

“It comes out, or you go in” he gave one final warning to the crewmate before turning his attention back the water. There had been one recent break in his bad luck streak, some underwater ruins were discovered in this part of the sea and he sought to scourer for anything valuable. The men he sent diving returned with good news, a temple within the sea was directly beneath them. And at its heart was a number of statues in fair condition. Without hesitation, the captain order the crew to hoist one up. That had been mid day…it was now the dead of night. The crew had trouble finding a statue that wasn't glued to the floor for hours, and then they had to guide the roped object out of the ruins properly. But the entirety of that time the sea had been against them. The water grew rougher, the object had become snag, a few of the sea beast became aggressive, and a storm had begun brewing as night fell. Every little thing seemed to be working to put the captain in a poor mood, to steal what good luck he had left.
POP…Crrrrack…

He frozed, his ear detecting a disturbing sound from the pulley. His eyes crawled over to the contraption and saw it leaning in a way he could only describe as incorrect. It was breaking. The machine. The comfortable world he had built for himself. The last thread of hope he had. All of it was breaking.
“CAPTAIN!” The crewmate called over to him with fear in his eyes. Yet the man could not feel any of his previous anger from before, his fire had turned to iced and he could not be motivated to do anything about it. “LOOOOK”.
…And yet, those eyes were quickly accompanied by a pointed hand jutting out to sea, towards the center of all their troubles. The captain followed the crewmates gesture, feeling the chill of his dying hope being tested. In the chop of the crashing waves, several men could be found calling for help from the water. They were holding on to something…something at the spot where the taut rope pierced the water. At a loss for words, the captain started pulling on the rope directly. The crew mate abandoned the pulley to assist, a madness working the two men into a frenzy. Whatever was on the other end was heavy, wave didn't make guiding it any easier. But with their combined efforts, in water and out, the object was slowly wrestled from the water.

And finally, it was on the boat. The Treasure they seemed.

“Was a hell of a fight t get’um out into open water, ebun arder t fin it in the first place” a man soaked to the bone sat on the deck, to exhausted to be concerned with standing “Though I was gonna to die”

“I nearly did, shark was looking real funny at me and gettin to close” another added, and more of the swimmers would go on to recount their tale under the sea. The captain, however, couldn't hear what they were saying. Couldn't make any sense of the noise coming from their mouth. All of his focus was on man of stone standing before him. He had to keep reminding himself that what was standing before him was chiseled from rock, that it was just a rock. And yet the long lost artist behind this piece displayed a bewitching skill the man could feel to this day. It was so life like, it's portions like that of another man. And yet, it was so deliberate in its display of some ancient legend. The Statue was that of some ferocious masked warrior ready to slay his foe, his weapons of choice being two axes that would crush all opposition.

“They got us a good one cap'n, I can smell the money off it” the crewmate who'd been working the pulley spoke to him, breaking the man from thought “I'm going to get to drown at my favorite drinking place after this”.
The captain couldn't really bring himself to admonish the man, his own emotion to blurry to enforce discipline, and allowed the good mood to continue. He went back to inspecting the piece while trying to gauge a price for it. The form would already beckon a good haul, but the that it lacked any signs of damage or incorrections would definitely secure. As for the material…just stone, although, not any he was familiar with-if that mattered anyway. Rock was rock, he was only happy that there we people that would give him money for rocks-
!
Something caught his eye, a gleam of metal. Looking back at the axes, he leaned to get a closer look. Fearfully, he reached out and touched it carefully. Without doubt, they were definitely made from metal-if he had to guess in this dark of night bronze. Whoever the artist was, they were rich and they were about to help him get rich. The man turn back to the divers, ready to ask them if there any statues in the same quality as this one when he was interrupted by a series of screaming and shouting. Turning towards the source of chaos and fear, dread befell the captain as his eyes uncovered a horrendous sight.

A giant wave swept up from the depths of the black water, pulling the ship towards its ever growing form as began to tower creation. It roared in its wake from the sea, drowning out the howl of the wind. Like a serpent poising itself to strike down some foolish rodent, the man in charge of this ship felt an eerie quiet over come him. Not many approach the Echo Isles and return unscathed if they return at all. That he had been able to make a profit here for quite some time, it was only natural that a debt was being tallied towards him.

“It would seem your master has come to reclaim you from me” his madness compelled him to speak to warrior “it is unfortunate, but your trip ends here. As does mine…” The wave began to buckle and descend from its celestial height, ready to crash into the ship and send them all bellow. What a coward he was to give in to it, his soul drowning in the dread filling his vessel. “I only wish we had your bravery in the end”

“…I…am not…brave

Ah. He finally broke. The statue answered his prayer and had begun speaking back. In fact, the head had turned to him, the masked facing him and returning the captain’s ration.

“But I...will know…no…Fear!

And just as the monster from the ocean crushed the ship, the warrior of stone moved and his blades flashed the low light.​

Last edited:
Tai’iq was normally a tabaxi of fleet foot, he never stayed in one place for too long. He was a thief of the incredibly petty variety, normally he was so quick that said pettiness was no problem for him. He would just swipe something and skip town before any consequences could find him. Though that was usually just because Tai’iq only stole when he needed to or when he saw something shiny enough to catch his eye.

When that bracelet worn by an Onorian commander had caught his eye Tai’iq had told himself no. It would be suicide to steal from someone of high authority. The smart thief didn’t get a bounty because once you had a bounty your days were numbered. At least Tai’iq had never heard of a thief lasting long with a bounty among the trading ports.
That was why he’d run, as much as it’d hurt him to leave the town where he actually had a very small audience for his poetry, but if he’d stayed he would’ve already been skinned by now. Tai’iq cursed himself for not running North and instead going South to Runia. For he’d been tracked by bounty hunters and though as a Tabaxi he was fast. There was only so long he could run before he was eventually cornered.

And here he was, cornered against a river. Tai’iq did not know how to swim, so the water may as well have been an unscalable wall. Three men steadied their blades towards the Tabaxi. “Finally done running then” the man directly in front of Tai’iq spoke first. They were all wearing armor with the crest of Onor on their chests.
“Well, no actually. I’m just waiting for my ability to walk on water to kick in” Tai’iq shot back. The three men laughed at their quarry until the one on the right. A big hulking brute stopped laughing and spoke up.

“Wait a minute, the Bounty says a promotion and a sum of gold for whoever delivers the hide of the Tabaxi who stole from Commander Barlet” the brute repeated. The one of the left nodded. This one was slim with a hook nose that ended in a large wart.

“Yeah that’s the reward” the left one spoke. The right one kept on rubbing their chin.

“But then, there’s three of us and only one hide on that thing” the brute spoke again. The leader sighed as if disappointed in the brute.

“Well obviously the reward goes to me, I’m the only one between the three of us that knows how to track” the leader spoke.

The brute looked a little downcast. Tai’iq was looking around looking for some kind of out. Suddenly an idea sparked in the Tabaxi’s brain. “Oh but that’s not right. It was the big one that spotted me earlier” Tai’iq suddenly spoke.

The brute looked a little happier now. “See, I should get the promotion” the brute spoke up. The other two looked at him annoyed.
“Don’t listen to the Tabaxi, he’s the enemy” the leader spoke before poking Tai’iq in the chest with the point of his blade. Just enough to hurt.
“No, but I did see’im” the brute said.

“Why don’t you want the promotion, you carried all of that lout’s arrows and maps. He wouldn’t be able to track me without you” Tai’iq spoke to the man with the wart.
“He does have a point” wart said. The leader growled at his men and pointed a finger at wart.

“Don’t you start now” The leader spoke again. The three bounty hunters argued for a good while, giving Tai’iq an opening to start tiptoeing away. “HEY! He’s sneaking away” the leader shouted. He looked at Brute and Wart before pointing back at the tabaxi. “Listen, we’ll decide who gets the reward later” Leader coughed ‘it’ll be me’ under his breath before continuing. “Right now let’s just skin the-.”

All of a sudden there was a splashing in the river that sounded relatively big. Their heads turned to see what looked like a pair of women washing down the river. Tai’iq didn’t wait though, he used the slight distraction to bolt away. The Leader let out a scream of annoyance.

Tai’iq was kind of curious as to why there was a pair of women washing downriver though.

Dw4a-yueying.jpgAm I truly lucky? Was the thoughts that ran through Jade's head. Jade just so happened not to be there when everyone was killed she just so happen to come back when it was to late and the castle was in flames. She had just so happened to stepped out at the right time at the right moment. Yet her family had not been as lucky. When the castle was in flames Jade ran to find her parents and siblings to find them all slaughtered though her father was some how alive though not for long. She knelt down staring at him tears streamed down her face as he said his final words and he gave her a sad smile before finally closing his eyes. She couldn't cry.....not here she had to get out find whatever survivors she could get them out. That's exactly what she did though she wish she could of helped more.

Jade was sitting in a tavern. She had a hood over head and she was sitting at the bar in silence staring at the drink in front of her. She actually never had a drink before never felt the need to but today she wanted to know what it was like just to forget everything. But.....she couldn't she had to get home she shouldn't be wasting time....but she didn't want to go home....but she had to go home she was the next........ Jade covered her face with both of her hands and just stayed like that for a moment until finally she moved her hands looked down at her drink and downed it.

"And we march onwards, and we march every day!"
"To the east, past the sea, to the continent of Lore!"
"And there'll be blood, there'll be guts, there'll be fire and hate!"
"And we'll give 'em a thrashing they'll remember evermore!"

Febo caught himself abruptly and stopped singing. After having spent the better part of four weeks in Onor, plotting, the noise that surrounded war camps was practically engraved onto his mind. Normally, he was not supposed to sing incriminating songs while on a mission undercover, but he had to calm his nerves, one way or another. And by the Gods above and the demons below, was his blood boiling right about now.

Everything had been meticulously planned beforehand, as it should've been. Money had changed hands, and it was ensured that the princess would not be butchered amongst her family, although he had not liked the way the soldiers smirked when they said there's fates worse than death, not one fucking bit. But it had been arranged all the same. Yet more money had changed hands, and an arsonist set to work, creating controlled chaos in the vicinity. And finally, the plan entailed him bribing the last batch of guards, getting the keys, and busting into the tower, bravely saving the princess. Plausible, victimless, orchestrated. A masterclass in schemes if ever there was one.

Instead he had burst into the tower and found no sign of her. A short investigation revealed that she had elected to jump. To what was most likely her death. The mere thought of her dying filled him with massive dread. His Father would be...displeased. Displeasing Xanross de la Zot was a very fast route to having a most horrible accident. That was the reason why he had chosen to hope that she somehow survived even though the logical part of his mind rejected the very thought. He was on a vantage point, on a hill, syrveying the area with his spyglass. He tried to take into account the speed and depth of the current, then the weight of the woman, then a brief consideration of her swimming skills and probablity of consciousness. With all this information in mind, he calculated the distance based on the timeframe in which she could have possible jumped off, and centered the spyglass on that location.

After two minutes he saw nothing. Therefore, she must surely be dead. He felt a massive iron fist settle in his stomach at the thought of having to give him the news. Resigned, he went to put the spyglass away...only to see two figures.

One of them was his target. He breathed a colossal sigh of relief. He focused on her chest, doing his best effort not to stare but to instead decide if it was moving. He was leaning towards yes, although concentration was a little difficult.

Because someone had saved the princess. He was meant to find her first so that he could be her only companion. Much easier to have her ear that way. A new person just complicated things to no end.

He cursed his rotten luck. What was with today and adding unforeseen complications to his plans? No matter. He had to act quickly, while the princess was still in need. He stowed the spyglass and backed away, soon reaching his horse. He galloped quickly to the last location he had seen the pair. Thankfully, they were not hard to spot, as the tiefling now seemed to have stopped and channeling some form of magic-fire magic, he assumed, which made sense given this one's infernal heritage. He slowed his pace, dismounting two dozen paces from the pair, and approaching with his best impression of sincere concern, which was not fully feigned-he was worried. Luckily, the tiefling had taken the initiative to cover the princess up, eliminating what was admittedly a distraction.

"Good evening! Were you the one that saved this woman? If so, you have my while-hearted gratitude."
"My name is Febo. Febo Obinspal, and I am a friend. But I fear there is little time for introductions and conversation. The Onorians have surely taken note of the fire and shall be swarming the area posthaste. If you are unaware, this one is hunted down by them. Come, help me hoist her onto my horse. I can explain everything back at my camp."

Concerned, semi-honest, and straight to the point. Exactly how one would expect a worried ally to act.

Onix Lyon
a811213310b33de73301ed1090e95f49.jpg

It hit like a charging minotaur the news of the attack. Why now of all the times to launch a full-scale invasion. To start a war when everything was going so well. When his family and friends from the business were there. Just trying to take the next step of becoming a household name. Onix wanted to go along with them to Runia but was told to stay watch the shop in Tiden with his grandmother(grand is what he calls her) and a couple of employees. Even though he was an only child most of the employees treated him like a little brother and the feelings were similar. But more things were still becoming dire than that.

"The sea is where most people's hearts are. An people like to receive things from the heart. " Remembering the family's business motto. That was one of the last things that his father and mother told him before they headed out. Still having the flesh image of the ships leaving the port in his mind. His grandmother was in was so distraught that she fainted. It was at this point that Onix knew he had to go to Runia. He told the last couple of employees to look after his grandmother while he was away from Tiden. He packed up the supplies he thought he would need for the trip. He loaded it all onto a small cubby boat. He knew he could handle almost any boat but since he was on his own a small one would do. He didn't know if he had to sneak into Runia. Before leaving he visited his grand who is still sleeping. Seeing one of the workers acting as a nurse."She seems alright for now I'm sure she will be fine with some rest."
"Hay grand I'm going to go see if I can bring anyone back. I wish I could say that everyone will be coming back home... But I know that would be fool hearty. So tell than stay safe I'll be back as soon as possible." As he begins to leave Onix feels a trug on his arm it seems his grand has woken up. She looks at him with desperate eyes and tells him."Please make sure you return home safely that's all I ask of you." He turns to her and smiles." You have my word as a sailor I will return Grand." Kissing her on the forehead and leaving the house.

Finishing his preparations he hoops on his boat and heads out to sea. Only thinking that he would do whatever it takes to bring anyone of his family back safely. ". Runia here I come."

Last edited:
navara pathfinder ❜
location: runia, near the castle at an army camp | with: lorne | tag: Cosmo Cosmo
The moment her feet touched the grounds of Runia, disaster struck and a recognised flag waved in the air: Onor. Captain Caine didn't undertake many dealings with the other. However, if they did, Navara would take care of the ledger that showed brief profits of the black market, though, it merely touched the surface. At first, worry seeped through her petite frame, concerned for her friends, but before she could help anyone else, she needed to stay alive. Navara took her lessens in strides and managed to survive to see the next day. Her feet moved swiftly through the worn-out, dilapidated city. The smell of iron and soot-filled her nose as she scrunched up her nose in disgust. While blood stains covered her attire, Navara disregarded it and continued to act, keeping her hood on to cover her horn as her tail swished freely. She needed leverage and passage out of the city, but, lost her bundle during the midst of the uproar.

There was no turning back for her. At least, at the state of the current chaos. Whether it was her curse or wrong place, wrong time, Navara didn't have a moment to lose. She chose to leave The Wicked Serpents, but time was never her friend. Memories of wandering when she first woke came flashing back in her mind in full motion. It was distracting, but it got her through surveying the layout of the Runia. She didn't feel pain nor sadness to see what befell Runia. But, the odd sensation of familiarity to see destruction made her curious. What was it? However, she didn't have the luxury to dwell any longer. Perhaps it was her mistake to have unconsciously relied on the comforts of Calys and Lester which always undeniably included Captain Caine.

Her ears twitched slightly at the sound of a preoccupied army camp near the ruined, burning castle. From across the way, Navara crouched lowly behind a stone, scoping the scene before diligently sneaking past some of the guards to invade their tent. Where guards gathered, supplies and rations stored. While she heard idle chatter outside, Navara quickly moved, looking through boxes and grabbed what she could hold before something shiny caught her eye. Pausing in her rummaging, Navara stared in awe at the gold treasures. But, before Navara could reach, a sound of a flap opening caught her attention as she turned.

Caught. Red-handed.

Fighting against the steel-hold on her arm, Navara grunted slightly, before hissing, "Let me go, you brute!"

Moving violently against the guard's grip, she was dragged out in the open where other guards gathered. Although the guard finally released her, causing her to fall on her butt as her tail shook from anger, eerie, low laughter gathered near her, scorning in disgust. The same brute who threw her to the wild dogs kneeled before her, gripping her horn to pull her close, "What did you say?"

Steely, Navara gritted her teeth, biting down the yelp threatening to escape her lips. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of hurting her, instead, she rolled her eyes before scanning her surroundings. She managed to get out of tight spots before and this time would be no different. As the guards continued to taunt her, waiting for her to make a move to harass her further, the tiefling heard coins clinking in the distance before the sound gradually came closer.

Side-eyeing the giant "boulder" that was carrying items that clinked with every step, without so much as a thought, Navara called out to him, "Hey! What took you take so long? Don't you dare forget about me!"

At the sudden shout, the guards turned to see the passerby. In that moment, with one glance, Navara noticed the sweat dripping down the side of the guards' faces as the hold on her horn loosened. "You.. you're with Lorne?" A quiet whisper escaped his lips.

It didn't take a genius to note the slight fear in his voice. Slapping his hand away from her, Navara quickly got off the ground, shaking off the dirt. Navara grinned, continuing with the farce. She faced the guard smugly, "Of course. Lorne and I are buds.." The lie slipped through her tongue though she was sure she unconsciously swallowed back her nerves. "I'm sure if he found out you handled me with such violence, he'd . . how do I say it politely? Kill you." Navara taunted, waggling her fingers as she clicked her tongue.

Though there wasn't a quiver in her voice, Navara did what she had to do to survive and hoped whatever caused them to believe her continued. While "Lorne" didn't seem like someone to push from his massive stature, Navara wished in her thoughts he'd assist her. With one more push, she called towards the man, moving in his direction, "Wait for me!"

Once she found herself saddled up next to him, Navara felt warmth and couldn't reason why she did what she did, but she placed a gentle touch on his arm, showing more proof they were allies. Whoeever this being was, Navara stayed by him, intending to not leave despite him towering over her tremendously in size.

Craning her neck to look up at Lorne, Navara slightly frowned in thought before leaning forward, "Hey, hey, where are you going with all of that?" She pointed at the big bag of money as her eyes widened delightfully.

From behind, the same guard stepped forward, scratching his chin, ". . .Want to let by gone be by gones? Didn't know she was with you."

Last edited:
Auria
Cold, sharp wind rushed past her cheeks, creating a whirlpool of streaming red hair as Auria fell. Wind howled, freezing her bare skin as she plummeted to crashing rocks below. The smoke of the fire and the freezing of the wind boiled her skin, splintering the dried blood away like an ax to tree bark.
Magic, save me. She begged the winds. Or let me die here with my family.
Rocks grew larger beneath her feet.
And then.
Something grabbed her, slamming her sideways and sending them both tumbling into the river. The princess turned just in time to see purple, fleshy skin and long horns protruding from a dark hood.
A demon. A demon has come to claim my soul. Too much. Her consciousness slipped away as she and her new companion tumbled into the abyss.

Warmth. That was the first thing Auria felt as life came slowly back into her freezing body. She opened her eyes and the demon from her nightmare was standing over her, flicking its tail slowly as she held her hands.
Ria withheld a scream. Though the water boiling in her stomach did just as much to stifle any noise she still had the strength of making. She coughed instead, moving her head to get a better look at the figure, realizing for the first time that she had been clothed. Wait.
It was— Auria squinted through her blurry eyes. It’s a tiefling. She had only seen a few in her sheltered life. And the form was not so demonic now without the clouds of smoke, but instead, the purple of her skin seemed to suit her, her long brown hair streaming with river water and yes, a crown of horns framed her face in a disheveled but almost regal matter.
You—” Auria gasped, water gurgling in her stomach and burning in her lungs. “You saved me?”

Kidari thought about what she saw in Runia as the city was crumbling under the roar of domination from Onor while her hands warmed the stirring princess. Charred buildings, screaming men, woman being defiled-their cries to make it stop hearing no one; it made the tiefling's tail curl in fear and anger. She didn't fully understand why Onor wanted to run Runia into the ground so badly, but for whatever it is, it shouldn't concern her. It couldn't...could it?
The coughs of the waking princess alerted Kidari, and the demonkin pulled her hands back and smothered the harmless flame with a single quick clench of her fists as she opened her eyes. She glanced over to the princess' features, piquing up when the other gasped out a question. Kiki rested her hands on her lap and sat on her legs, giving a nod to the other.
"Aye. Someone had to, because a drop like that could've killed you." "And I wouldn't blame you for trying it in your current circumstances." The tiefling pointedly mused to herself, giving a sigh and reaching out a hand to the princess. "Are you okay though...?"
The crackle of footsteps took her focus for a moment, snapping her attention to the newcomer. It was a male, concern laced in his words as he spoke. The demonkin had placed herself between the newcomer and the princess, her tail smacking lightly onto the ground as she listened. Something about his words put her on edge, but as with her sudden reaction to the woman's bare body, Kiki quashed the feelings of suspicion to dwell on another time.
"...Yes, I was the one who rescued her." The tiefling's words were honest, pointed. And protective.
Kiki looked back at the princess, who no doubt was also looking at the newcomer. If the Onor were really coming to swarm the area...the mere thought of one of their kingdom laying a hand on her sent a shiver up her spine. She couldn't exactly trust this fellow the duo just met either, but it wasn't like there was any other plan that was better.
"Tradorus and troublesome help is a least better than no help at all."
She let out a quick exhale, turning back to Fabo as the demonkin laced one arm around the princess. "Fine, we'll go with you, Fabo. It's at least better than staying out here and running the risk of running into Onor troops."

Auria
"Fine, we'll go with you, Fabo.” Auria heard the tiefling say. “It's at least better than staying out here and running the risk of running into Onor troops."
Goosebumps formed along her arm as she pushed herself into a crouch. The tiefling stood between her and a great Warhorse. She shuddered and struggled to get a better look.
A snap turned her head to the right. Not more than a dozen paces away, a pair of golden yellow eyes watching from the underbrush. The catlike creature looked on the shade of the trees too dark to read the expression. Three larger figures loomed less gracefully behind thin logs.
Auria’s stomach churned. The water in her lungs sent her body shaking with a series of coughs that tore her away. She pulled the thin covering tighter over her shoulders.
“I don’t know who you are,” Auria wheezed, turning to the horseman. “But I am no princess. I am one of her ladies in waiting. You must be confused.”
It was the first lie she ever told. At least one she told someone besides herself. But she hoped that would be enough. The Princess of Runia has been scrubbed from existence with the blood that still stuck to her shivering skin. Whatever she was, she wasn’t anyone who demanded respect.
She looked pleadingly up at the tiefling girl and reached up, asking for support. Her muscles ached, but the tiefling yielded, offering Auria an arm and pulling her up before the horseman.
“I’m okay,” she whispered to her companion to answer her question. Then she forced herself to straighten.
“Please, sir.” Auria stood on wobbling legs as she looked up at the man. He rode like nobility, though his shoulder held the stiffness of one who has never been allowed to disappoint. His face was honest, but his eyes nervous. Like her father’s horse before a hunt. “Please, take my friend and I to safety. And help me find a weapon.”
Throwing that last part in was a bit hopeful, but part of her remembered those helpless moments in the tower. She could not be defenseless again. If this man was really who he claimed, then he would still help them, right?
“Please—” With that, she lost her footing. The churning of the water came boiling up. Auria stumbled forward, gripping the horseman by the boot to keep from falling. But just then, her guts would take no more. She gripped the fine leather boot of her supposed savior and vomited.

VALTEK [With Jade Princess]

Valtek took another look at himself in the mirror as he adjusted the straps on his mask.

He had nothing but gratitude for the apothecary who had dragged him back from the jaws of death but somehow he couldn't help wishing there had been more. That he’d possessed and been willing to use the various potions and tinctures which had saved Valek up was amazing, if only….

If only the potions had been of a higher quality, if only there had been some genuine healing magic left, if only…

His wounds had been closed but the scars and the…holes…remained. Nothing short of a regeneration spell could fix the damage and Val wasn’t even sure if such things still existed.

“How in gods name did this happen ?”, Valtek raised his eyes upward “How did they get in, who betrayed us”. For a brief second he was filled with rage, casting the stone water bowl off the table and knocking the jug and washing tools to the floor. “Erzan, I’m sorry. Damn it I failed you” .

Val sank to the floor in dispair, head in hands, the tears from his left eye burned like fire as they leaked over the exposed nerves and bone under the mask. “Pull yourself together man” he muttered as, taking a deep breath, he rose to his feet with purpose and left the washroom.

Marcas the Apothecary was waiting outside, a small man of advancing years he was wringing his hands together and visibly upset. “Are, are, you ok Captain ?” his voice trembling, he’d heard the smashing and was worried the rage was directed at him. He’d done all he could with his skills but much of the damage was too severe.
“I’m sorry I couldn’t do more,” he bowed his head and stared at the floor.

Valtek calmly put a hand on the smaller mans shoulder “You did more than I could have ever expected my friend” he said reassuringly. “I have to go out there, I have to find out more about what happened, I need to…” he swallowed for a second “I need to see if anyone’s left”

As he left, Marcas handed him a small stone Jar. “For the…” he gestured to the mask and the horror it covered “A bit morning and evening, it will help. A bit”.

Standing outside Valtek looked around and took stock. All he had on him was a tunic and trousers the Apothecary had found for him, no armour, no weapons, not even a belt knife, “or even a belt” he mumbled hitching the trousers up. He lifted the hood over his head, it had once been blue, or maybe green but tattered and threadbare as it was it left his face and mask in shadows and was invaluable to him.

Entering The Dead Egg Valtek paused and looked around, nothing dangerous though something had caught his eye and he felt that twitch between his shoulders that something was amiss.

The drinkers were the normal crowd, locals, traders, working men and women. There was a definite sense of forboding in the room though, lots of talking but it was all low whispers and a lot of looking around. People were scared, they didn’t know what was happening, why it was happened and what would happen next.

Reaching the bar he caught Stilmans eye, for a second there was no recognition then the barmans eyes opened widely in shock and he rushed out to embrace the taller man “We thought you were dead”. Awkwardly removing the barkeeps arms from around him Valtek quickly update him on what had happened then turned to the bar.

A slim figure there had caught his eye as he’d entered the Inn. Sitting at the bar in a hooded cloak but something about it was odd, out of place and now as he quickly looked her up and down he knew what had spiked his intuition.

The cloak was plain but of a good quality and clean. The boots visible below the cloak were of a high quality. The hands covering her face (for the shape of the body and hands as well as the long brown hair escaping from under the hood made it clear that it was a girl), were the well manicured hands of the rich. Clean and well cared for , though he could just see calluses from weapon use, a bow and something else if he wasn’t mistaken.

There was a shake to the hands though and what appeared to be specks of blood ? on them.
Taking her hands away from her face the young woman looked down as the mug in front of here before awkwardly lifting it and downing it.

Brown hair, pale skin, dark eyes, an Ashlander perhaps ? Valteks practised gaze flicked over her face, he was fairly certain he’d seen her before.

Taking a chance that he knew her from the palace he leaned slightly towards her and spoke quietly and calmly to her, doing all he could to avoid sounding threatening, she appeared frightened or shocked as it was “are you ok….my Lady ?”

Febo looked at the pitiable woman before him, battered, bruised and nearly drowned, and although he had been explicitly been trained to not have such thoughts, he could not help but feel pity for a few moments. How low had she been brought! Defiled, tortured, traumatized. Having lost everything to events he played a part in. And now he had to stand there and gaze upon the results of his family's handiwork, all the while giving her false hope.

No matter, he told himself. No matter at all. This is simply how politics work. There was no use crying over how moral or immoral it may be or what could have been done better. The only thing that matters was the task at hand. And his current task at hand was to protect and aid this princess. And if the princess seemed to insist that her new friend come with, so bloody be it.

But it wasn't only that. Out of the corner of his eye he could see movement. Hidden within the brushes, a pair of eyes. And judging by the sound, not alone. Curses! Bandits? Onorians? Agents of a rival house? Febo was fairly confident in his ability to defeat normal threats, but the timing indicated they may very well not be normal threats. Perhaps the tiefling could be enlisted to help? She didn't exactly look like some sort of skilled fighter, but she mustn't have been completely clueless, either.
He cursed viciously under his breath. Complications, complications, nothing but fucking complications! What had he done to deserve this curse?

Almost as an answer, the princess heaved and vomited right onto his boot. Luckily for Febo, he had elected not to wear his best pair of boots, so as to help him look more approachable. Which was fortunate, because, judging by the smell, it would take an inordinate amount of scrubbing to make this pair presentable again. He dismounted quickly, supporting the princess.
"A weapon I cannot currently provide, but I promise, I will arm you soon. But let's waste no more time!"
Gesturing for the tiefling to approach, he spoke in a low tone.

"Quickly, aid me. Let us mount her upon my horse. I shall provide shelter and nourishment at my camp, but we must be quick. Not only are the Onorians headed this way, I see movement behind the bushes. Could be brigands seeking to profit from her misfortune. We must leave. Now!"

Once the princess had been secured, he turned and slapped the reins, causing the horse to accelerate. The pair began moving away quickly, although not so quickly as to leave the tiefling in the dust. She could still follow, if a little behind.

"Hopefully they will be brigands or Onorians, and I can solve this tiefling problem early on. After all, if they attack, I will not have to outrun them-I will have to outrun her alone.

He remained focused on the path, although he spoke to Auria.

"Do not forget to hold onto me. A fall from a horse could be very damaging, and you'veunfortunately already been battered heavily."
With how shit his luck today was going, he would not be surprised if the Gods decided the princess suddenly forgot how horses worked and dashed her head falling from the saddle.

Kidari somewhat raised an eyebrow at Auria's declaration. Fabo never insinuated that she was a princess, but the woman said that she wasn't one, which logicly meant that she... "Wait, she's a princess?!" That kinda got her off-guard for a moment at the realization, but quickly helped the princess up and to walk over to the newcomer. And then Auria vomited on the poor horse rider's shoe, to which Kidari stifled the giggle she had but her tail-which was swishing back and forth like a dog-gave it away.
However, a snap and sound of people alerted the tiefling a dozen or so paces away, and Kiki quickly nodded at Fabo as she helped Auria up and with getting onto the warhorse. "Yeah, yeah, I know, I got it. No need to tell twice."
Once the princess was secure, the three of them took off, the horse rider and the princess a couple running paces in front. Frankly, the tiefling thought it was dumb and easily used as bait in this position, with her running behind and to the side of the horse. She muttered, "Don't leave me in the dust..."

No shit. Auria huffed. A fall from a horse could be very damaging? Who did he think she was?
But she closed her mouth and held on, glancing back at the tiefling trotting behind them. She hasn't asked her name yet. Or correctly thanked her for saving her life. But no way she could turn without sliding off sideways.
She winced as the horse's rump rubbed her painfully on bare skin as it ambled forward.
Stupid. She had asked for a weapon. But she probably should have prioritized any sort of clothing to make her decent. Horses weren't made for riding buck naked with anything but a stranger's cloak to shield you from their itchy hairs.
Think. She had to grow up. Her brothers deserved a better avenger than what left of her. But she was it.
"What is the name of my companions?" she said, forcing confidence she'd hear her father use so many times. "It seems I owe you both a life debt. I want to learn more about..." she glanced down at the vomit still staining the horsemen's shoe. "Who you are and where we are going?"
And how do I learn how to be like you? Auria glanced at the man's rapier then tried to see behind her once again without sliding off. Whatever it took she had to figure out how to find vengeance for Runia. For her family. She had done some magic. But nothing more than budged a few spoons on a table or caused sand to swirl when she concentrated. Once she had made an option that allowed you to see twice as well... well almost twice as well. But she had a lot of help. Her formal training was supposed to start after the other royals returned to their kingdoms.
She winced as the horse skittered. Lore. Everything hurt.
"And wherever we are going," she said, trying to keep the pain from her voice. "Can I get some clothes?"

Dw4a-yueying.jpgJade set the mug down and well....she wasn't impressed...though at the same time she felt like she could get use to the taste.....wait what did she order again?

“are you ok….my Lady ?”

Jade who was not paying attention suddenly heard a voice. She turned her head to look at the man next to her. Guess it was obvious that she wasn't ok but like hell she was going to tell a random person her problems. She mustered up a smile tried to steady her voice so it wouldn't sound shaky. "Oh yeah I'm fine just....tired. Thanks for asking though." She said as she turned her head back around. As she sat there she noticed that she was feeling warm....Wonder if that was from the drink. Jade thought to herself. Jade glanced back at the man....he was wearing mask.....Hiding your face huh?.........she wondered if he had any involvement with the attack on the castle or was he a survivor. Oh! Maybe that's why he asked. She was sure she wasn't the only person here who was probably mourning. So why had he picked her out? After a moment she fully turned to him and spoke in a low voice. "I'm guessing you were at the castle during the uh....attack." Feeling her eyes starting to tear up she quickly turned around before it could be noticed and she pulled her hood further down. Don't cry, don't cry! You don't even know who the hell this is! Though she didn't realize it the utter sadness was written all over her face mixed with being exhausted. She really needed sleep but there was no way. Not now sleep would have to wait.

The bartender came up to her asking if she wanted a refill Jade nodded and watched as he refilled her mug.
Baradour Baradour

Tai’iq came to a stop crouching in between a tree and a bramble bush. His ears were up as he listened to the sounds of his pursuers crashing their way through the forest letting out shouts of, “He went that way” or “That shadow just moved” as they went in the absolute wrong direction in search of their quarry who finally had managed to shake them.

The tabaxi slunk out of hiding and in the opposite direction of where he heard the bounty hunters running. He began to pick the burrs he’d picked up in his scramble to escape from his clothing and fur.

Tai’iq did have to thank the distraction of those two drowning women for his escape, and he half-wondered where they’d ended up. He had run downriver so maybe they had washed up nearby. If they’d not been dead, Tai’iq couldn’t remember if they’d been moving. He had been too busy running away at the time. There was a sudden noise that made him stop.

Horses.

It sounded like more than one, but he wasn’t sure as he couldn’t see them through the foliage before him. Tai’iq had to wonder why there would be multiple horses around here. His first thought was bounty hunters, but they didn’t seem to be looking for anything at least by the sound of it.

Tai’iq slowly pushed his nose through the bushes and saw what looked like a small camp by the river. He looked over and saw the shapes of horses retreating with some vaguely familiar shapes on them.

Tai’iq pushed his face back in the woods and moved through the forest with speed until he caught up to the figures. Most of his fascination was pure curiosity to be quite honest, though some of it might’ve been because it’d been a bit since he’d run into someone to talk to who wasn’t after his hide. At least not yet.

“Didn’t expect to see anyone else out here. Greetings” Tai’iq called out to them perching on a thick tree branch. The tabaxi was in plain sight to the riders as he looked down at them curiously.

VALTEK [With Jade Princess]

The young woman was clearly shaken “I’m guessing you were at the castle during the uh…attack”, for a second it looked like she going to cry, her face showed a deep loss, almost overwhelming grief.

Val wasn’t sure what to say for a moment, what should he say, did he want to share more of himself, he was very aware of the mask for a second, and even more that which lay beneath.

With the instincts of a natural barman, Stilman stepped into the pause “would you like a refill perhaps ?” As she nodded and the mug was filled Valtek made a decision.

Moving slowly he sat on the stool next to her, his wounds had been healed but he was weary to his very core, his shoulder hurt where the bolt had struck him, his face itched with a fury below the mask and he could feel a thumping headache.

Can I get a mug Still, not that swill, the Pale ale from Buxby please”.

Turning to the woman, speaking quietly so no one else could hear him he introduced himself.“I am Captain Valtek Corinthe, I am” he had a lump in his throat “or was, personal bodyguard to Prince Erzan of the Royal house of Runia”. He moved his hood slightly, revealing the dent in the side of his skull and the parts of his ruined face the mask didn’t cover. “I was at the Palace, part of me died there.

Stillman came over with 2 jacks, filled to the brim with a a pale frothy liquid which smelt far better than that in the other mug on the bar. Valtek raised the mug with a whispered “to the house of Runia” and drained it.

I don’t mean to scare you. I’m going to go and get a few essentials and then I’ll be back. If you’re gone I’ll understand but I need to find out what is going on. Should your road lead in the same direction as mine then I’ll help and keep you safe”. Honesty and recent events made him add sadly “for as long as I am able”. Then leaving her at the bar he went up the stairs to his rooms.

Returning to the common room Valtek felt much more prepared. The highly polished finely made plate armour that had been his second skin for the past decade had been stripped from his body at the palace, but he hadn’t always been in the guard.

He now wore a plain brigandine, a coat of steel plates sandwiched between a layer of padding on the inner and stiffened leather on the outside reinforced by steel pauldrons on his shoulders.
His lower arms bore steel vambraces linked to heavy steel gauntlets protecting each hand, the armour all had a used, functional look to it.
All that remained of his earlier attire was the hood which again covered his head.
Across his back the 2 handed hilt of a great sword could be seen and from his belted waist a pair of axes hung.

His gaze swept the bar again, were his instincts correct ? would she be waiting ?

The Thief and the Giant
A deer deer and Cosmo Cosmo Collab Production

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━
The mismatched armor, some of it pieces of monsters slain and processed, turned into makeshift armor, others large scraps of proper armor that Lorne had managed to scavenge on the rare occurrence he found someone close enough to his physique to use, weighed heavily on his shoulders and with each step towards the ruined gatehouse, Lorne could feel the weariness start to settle in. How long had it been since he last slept? Three days? Perhaps four? His dark brows furrowed as his heavy footfalls crunched into the rubble filled pathways, when was the last time he had eaten? It all seemed so abstract then, something he would soon no longer need even if he survived the first sally across the walls as the soldiers of Onor were more then eager to throw their mercenaries in first, after all, a dead mercenary didn't require payment.. Despite being merely a day before, it felt like a lifetime ago. Lorne had been sure this was the end. This was supposed to be the end. She was supposed to be here. His large hand tightened around the coin purse in his hand as the coins were pushed together and squeaked in protest, it had taken so long to track her down to this place, to be so close and have to start again.. Lorne let out a slow, ragged breath and fought back the frustrated that tried to worm its way into his heart. It was a setback and as much as he wanted to roar his fury at the heavens above, it would change nothing. This would change nothing. Sooner or later, he would find her.. and he would strangle the life from her.

As Lorne passed through the ruined remains of the gatehouse, he gazed across the river to the Onorian camp that had been moved up in the night, after the fall of the castle and its city. Had his stuff been moved as well? Thrown in some communal tent? Or would he have to wrestle with a quartermaster to get what was rightfully his? Well, in truth, he did not have much. A blanket, a change of clothing, some tools and a pan... For a moment, just a moment, Lorne wondered if he should even bother. The coin he got could replace it soon enough and the sooner her left, the sooner he could escape the spirits of this keep. The buzz of noise that surrounded him was the same as ever, an endless buzz of sound that blended together that defied any real attempts to make out the voice of individuals and Lorne did not bother to attempt to, he would be gone soon enough, or so he thought. A flash of white and a small voice cut through the background buzz and drew his attention as it sounded young, small and female, a child perhaps? His head turned to a small... woman? Possibly. His eyes traced her, the two large horns adorned her head that flanked long white and grey hair, and from her body shape, Lorne had decided she was, probably, not a child even if she wasn't much taller then some. His head tilted slightly as they seemed to be speaking about him especially if her gestures were anything to go by, his eyes spotted a tail that weaved back and forth behind the petite figure, that was unusual.

They had been talking about him as, sure enough, the tiny creature ran up to him and told him to 'wait', and so he did.. and as she drew nearer, he could make out more details. She had odd yellow eyes that seemed to glow like burning embers and he could make out a few scars that marred her face, but despite the things exotic features, she looked young. Too young to have such wounds. He noted the tiny metal toothpicks at her waist that some could call blades, they looked used but not quite worn. Not a warrior by trade as he was, an adventurer perhaps? Brought here due to bad luck and timing. While it did not show on his face, what did surprise him was when she touched him. Her small hand laid on his forearm and that was even more unusual. People did not touch him. They did not move close to him. They did not speak to him in such familiar tones, Lorne opened his mouth to try and understand what was going on as he looked straight down at the small creature when she beat him to the punch by asking him what the coin purse that had weighed so heavily in his hand just moments before were for.

Lorne's dark eyes followed her own to the purse, where was he going with it? He wasn't sure. He had no where to go. Lorne wasn't sure where Aldire's own hunt had taken him. He wasn't sure where the witch had gone. He wasn't sure where to start. What to do. He had merely been walking away from the castle as at least he could then feel like he was trying to accomplish something. His lips tightened into a line as told the truth, "I don't know," his deep voice seemed to echo in his ears, a final reminder of his failure. The way she talked to him, touched him like they were friends or something more, was unusual. Did he know this creature? Lorne knew he was not the smartest man in the kingdoms, he knew he forgot things and peoples. He knew he was hard to forget and most people, even those he had never spoke to, knew him as he tended to stand out. Had he met this woman under such circumstances? Had he helped her? Had she helped him? Was she a..... lover of Aldire's? What even was she? He knew he had a poor memory, but surely he would have remembered such a being. His brows furrowed further as his mind dug through the past to try and recall it, but he was not able to do so for long as a group of soldiers approached.

He flicked his eyes to the lead soldier, Lorne supposed he was a large man, but to Lorne, the man seemed no larger then any other. With him? She wasn't with him. Unless she had been trying to find him? Had she been caught while searching for him? Or had it been merely an unlucky chance? Did it even matter? No. No it did not. Nothing mattered at the moment, so Lorne inclined his head slightly to the man who seemed to sag in relief and quickly made his leave. Lorne looked down at the creature for a few moments longer as he tried to commit her face to memory before he pulled his arm away and started to walk down the road again.

Lorne just... did not understand anymore.

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━
She was not intimidated. However, the deep bellow of the boulder's voice caused the skin on her arm to rise as her lips curved downward when he answered her question.

"I don't know."

That was not the answer she wanted, however, was grateful that he went along with her farce whether he knew it or not. However, she knew too well of people's manipulation. It wasn't in anyone's nature to give freely to others. Did he want something? Warmth left her touch when the giant moved his arm away. Her deepset yellow eyes stared at his back while she only took one small glance at the retreating cowardly guards, wanting to save their own hide. Navara wanted to know more about the reason why they were afraid to anger this being.

Something ignited in the pit of her stomach. Why did he help her? Who is he?

Navara tilted her head slightly, weighing her options. She hated to admit it, but she too, didn't know where she wanted to go. Her map left her hand and while the stars could guide her, she was still without money and supplies. A slight annoyance or agitation bubbled in the pit of her stomach at seeing the mountain's lack of interest. His footsteps vibrated with each step he took, rubbles crushing under his weight, and Navara could only raise a brow, feeling her balance out of sorts as she attempted to stand firmly on the ground. The continuous shake and clinking sounds the coins moving inside the bag made her tail whish back and forth. She wanted it. If the mountain had no use for it, she could think of plenty of ways.

Swiftly making her way towards him before he could be too far ahead, Navara trailed behind him as best as she could.

"You're going to leave without saying good-bye?" Her voice raised slightly, "If you don't know where you're going, how will you know which direction to take? Are you always this considerate? I'm not fond of owing others, so if there's something you want. . . and if it's in my ability, I can help, maybe."

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

For a moment, Lorne thought she may leave even if he did not understand, at all, what was happening but he was fairly certain he did not know this small creature. So why did she know him? Had she seen him from a distance and learned of him? Had she searched for him and now that she met him, her curiosity was sated? Did it matter? Lorne doubted it did, so he didn't bother to look back and instead kept his eyes ahead to the horizon as he tried to think of his next step. Perhaps a nearby village where he could resupply, rest and try and send a missive to the last location he knew Aldire to be at. It wasn't a bad plan so much as not a plan at all. If anything, it was more something to keep him busy and his mind away from the reality that was his failure.

The small, almost coy, voice arouse behind him, close enough to tell him she was now following in his step even if he could not hear her footsteps. Considerate, Lorne's brow furrowed as he tried to recall the meaning of that word. Perhaps she was pointing out his rude behavior, he hadn't stopped to converse with her or ask her name, he had brushed her aside but that was fairly normal and he had yet to find someone who voiced a complaint to it. Was he supposed to have known her name? But what she said at the end caught his attention and brought him to a stop, Lorne slowly turned to face the creature..

He took in her form once again, she was.. strange looking. Not unpleasantly so. She was small, too small, but her body had a nice shape to it, a womanly one. In a certain light, a man could find her very alluring, so perhaps.. "I do not know where to go any longer," Lorne said with a pause, "Did Aldire send you to aid me?"

It made sense if his brother had. Aldire wasn't as large as Lorne, so the size difference between this creature and Aldire would not be so.. well, Lorne wasn't quite sure how comfortable it could possibly be with this thing, and she was attractive enough to suit Aldire's taste. Perhaps Aldire knew he would fail and so sent this... being to aid him? She seemed to have skills he did not, if at least in terms of conversational ability.

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

The sudden pause in the giant's step made her furrow her brows. Did she hit a nail on the head? Was she right to assume he wanted payment from her? Navara was ready to counter the mountain's question and assumption until he questioned her motives. Aid him? It seemed the more she asked, the less he answered and it only furthered her endless tirade of boundless questions she needed answers to. However, whoever this Aldire was, he seemed important to the mountain. Friend of his? But, the more Navara attempted to say the name Aldire the more her heart seemed to ache. She felt uncomfortable and found discomfort at the thought.

With a gentle hand to her chest, Navara slowed her breathing as she shook her head. The tiefling shook slightly, triggered. Whoever this being was, Navara was intrigued yet offended. Does she know him? Or was this person the one she was fleeing from? Regardless, her attention returned to the giant as she raised her head, meeting his gaze.

However, her eye twitched slightly. The way his eyes roamed caused her the hair on her back to rise. What was he staring at? Navara felt exposed and objected to the way he was looking at her. Was he. . . what's the word Lester said? Scoping her out? Feeling slightly threatened, Navara didn't like the way he continued to stare. A small hiss escaped her lips as her tail whipped, hitting the ground. He was looking down on her!

"Have you never seen a tiefling before?" Navara snapped before folding her arms, a way to self-soothe the thought of him staring at her in a scandalous light. Monsters, giants, and beings alike, they all want something. "And if Aldire sent me to aid you? Would it matter to you?" She pointedly questioned, her cheeks reddening from slight anger, though could be misconstrued as blushing.

Shaking her head, Navara moved forward quietly, her tail curled as she reach out to grip the end of fur "armor" he wore on his shoulder to pull him to look in her yellow-glowed eyes, "If so, yes. So that means, you're stuck with me."

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

Lorne furrowed his brow at the creature, he was never good with people. Their thoughts and feelings eluded him even at the best of times, yet even he could tell his examination had offended if the hiss and stamp of her tail were anything to go by. In another life, he may have even laughed, the act reminded him of a young child as they stomped their foot onto the ground to demand they be taken serious. Still, he tilted his head a little as he tried to ponder it. She seemed to have curled into herself there for a bit, it reminded him of the blushing chits that would follow Aldire around... An odd mix. Was she an impertinent child out to prove herself or some blushing maiden offended by his attention? Perhaps both, but he couldn't fault her for being offended by his gaze, he was well aware he wasn't the kind people, especially of the fairer sex, enjoyed being starred at regardless of intent.

"Tiefling," Lorne repeated as he rolled the word around in his mouth and gave a nod to show he understood. So that is what this creature was. A tiefling. He wasn't exactly sure what that was, were horns and tails common with them? But then... Did it matter? Would it matter? Of course it would, she should know as much if Aldire sent her, but perhaps she didn't understand why. It would be like his brother to not say exactly what they were hunting. Perhaps he was afraid to scare her off, maybe Aldire was close and sent this chit to him for protection. Perhaps he had another lead. So many possibilities and for the first time since the assault, Lorne felt something rekindle in his chest, hope.

Before he could really answer, she reached up to grip the manticore fur on his shoulder, the tug she gave was almost impossible to feel and it took him a moment to figure out what she had attempted to do before it clicked, she wanted him to lean closer so she could look him in the eye for some reason.. Lorne paused before he bent and let her hand guide him to where she desired him to be, his dark gaze met the glowing embers once more and she finally confirmed it. Yes, Aldire had sent her, and it seemed she was meant to stay.

"Very well, tiefling," Lorne said as he pulled himself back up as she was no more able to hold him then a bucket could hold an ocean, "There is a village a few miles away. We will get supplies there and I will send a few messages out," he said the plan simply, he did not bother to phrase it as a question because it was not a question. It was simply what was going to happen. Lorne slowly turned his back to her, once again, and resumed his walk.

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

Whatever possessed her to continue this charade would gnaw at her in the future, but what he didn't know, wouldn't kill him. While the tiefling wasn't a good liar, she managed to persuade the mountain. Be it by their fate and her stars are aligned with this giant, Navara would take this opportunity. It would be good to have a companion, afterall, when she tested her own fate, she ended up in a predicament larger than she could handle on her own. Not that she would admit. However, she never imagined running into. . . this being. Nevertheless, "beggars" couldn't be choosers. But, the way he said tiefling amused her to an extent, as if he was learning a new word or trying to understand a new concept. Perhaps, the giant wasn't so bad. It appeared he didn't know much of things outside of, well, whatever it was he was doing. Which further begged the question, what was she aiding him with? While pirates had their own code of conduct, she wasn't sure of others who didn't fit the mold of predictability.

As her eyes bore into his, Navara received the answer she wanted. But, she wasn't satisfied with it. Instead, his response felt as if he was mocking her with the emphasis on being a tiefling. Had he truly understood what she was or he took it with a grain of salt? Regardless of the case, the giant was not apologetic nor seemed embarrassed for being caught gazing at her. While she managed to tug on the fur on his shoulders, Navara questioned whether he felt the tug or let her have it.

Muttering under her breath, Navara rolled her eyes and slightly clicked her tongue once more as she followed behind him.

"Just supplies? Will we also rest and find food?"

Though grumpy, she needed to know what she got herself into. As she caught up and walked next to him, Navara threw boundaries out the window and continued to chat without stopping, asking him various questions such as Where are you from?, Why were you in Runia?, What are you searching for?, and mindlessly chatted about the seas, questioning if he could swim as they walked towards the village.

$_57.JPG

ALKITHOË.
Runia, moving towards Chaan. Open to interaction.

Alkithoë sensed it before it truly hit. Something distinctly hostile hung in the air, near choking the city. She had been gathering a moss that tended to grow on rooftops, but quickly stopped and straightened her long body as she sniffed the air. The castle... She furrowed her brow, jumped down and landed with ease, stuffing what little moss she'd gathered into one of her pouches on her belt. A gathering of children nearby looked up from their little game, glancing curiously at her. The children of the Shambles, Runia's shanty town, had little in the way of a set schedule, and with the celebrations of the week had thrown even that into the river. It wasn't unusual to find a gaggle of them in the streets at night.

One of them, older and clearly braver, whispered to the others. "Aul' Foul Wan! She can kill a man with a look, y'know. I seen it!" The others protested, but looked over at her with the worried but excited eyes of young ones. Normally Alkithoë would smirk, play along - she was fond of kids, always had been, and the nickname they'd given her amused her - but she was preoccupied with the smell of sweat, the faint rumble of feet marching. Just as she was about to usher the kids inside, anywhere with an open door, a column of smoke rose from the direction of the castle. With quick steps she moved pass the little street gang, to find her stash hidden between two run-down houses, and ran towards the castle.

Soon she found a viewpoint, from atop a hill just outside the Shambles. A feral grin slowly spread across her face as she took in the view of the castle in flames, of soldiers storming it under Onorian and... was that Zeronia's colours? Curious, something she had not anticipated. As she settled down to watch the invasion, she spared a thought for the Shambles, where she had lived for the past several moons. She shook her head - she had no need of sentimentality. What she saw before her was an opportunity, an opportunity for punishment on those who had wronged her and her people, had left them to die.

She watched the whole invasion, moving out of the soldiers' way and hiding as they moved into the city, clearly with targets in mind. At one point someone had fallen down from one of the castle towers. Her ire lay in Dobris, which was many days travel from Runia, especially for a whole army. Maybe she'd do well to move ahead, present herself as a mercenary further down the line. Making up her mind, she moved towards the mountains, careful to keep out of the way of the soldiers. She would travel through Chaan. Being among the green again would be good for her, and she was low on plant supplies anyway. Better to join a battle already started, than show up after the fact and trust they would not think her a spy.

Alkithoë donned a cloak as she smiled to herself, and ugly twisted smile. Soon, my loves, she thought. Soon you'll rest in true peace.

From The Mud
Somewhere of the Echo Isle

“…HUUUUuuu” his lungs were on fire, pain racked through his expanding chest as it dragged air within. “UUggHg-HUUU” For a moment he exhaled, probably for the best to keep his ribs from burst, and he quickly reverted back to swallowing more air. It went like this for awhile, a gluttonous fish for one moment then an anorexic dragon the next. This bipolar pendulum where he wasn't sure if he was thankful to be alive or deserving of a better ending.

…He should be dead. A monstrous act of God swallowed his ship, and his crew, dragging any trace of them away from this world…where was this world. One would think that death is well guaranteed at that point, so what hell had he been dumped in to feel this pain. His face was hot, burning even. Eyes blinded by a fierce light, with the rest of his head in complete and utter agony as it rang deeply between his ears. Yes. It was unfortunate, but to his credit as a seaman, the former captain had undergone such an experience a few times in the past. He was not dead, just wishing he were.

Opening his eyes only made it worse, but he had to regain vision as soon as possible and survey his surroundings. The light flooded into his orifices, searing the radiance into his memory. It proved to be too fierce for the half dead man, and he willed his body to move itself. Barely any response, too weak, too heavy. But not too painful, just enough to wish he had an actual excuse to lay in the sand. Gritting his teeth in determination, he slowly began to roll over to his side. The motion took forever, and every inch require that much more effort. And yet, somehow, he completed the action.

Now his face was in the sand, and his back was to the sun. It was almost pleasant, amongst the agony, to feel the sudden change in temperature throughout his body. His front must have baking for hours, and now it was shaded. The rest of him was absolutely soaked, through his clothes to the bone, and the water weighed heavily on him in this misbegotten state. The freezing cold was being offset by the heat from above, and if it were under different circumstances he'd fallen asleep right there to this boon of comfort.

His eyes were free from the scorn of the sun in his self made shade, and he began opening them a second time. Still blind, but the lack of the intense rays made it easier to adjust. What he saw was indeed sand, though, a bit mushed from his face's imprint. He tilted his head left, then right, still hiding his newly rekindled vision from the seething light. A Beach, he was on a beach. Yes. He already knew this, where else could this be that he washed up to. But where. Nothing particularly seemed distinct as a land mark in either direction. Tucking his head in a bit, his could see the white foam of a wave rushing forward to greet him before it receded back into the sea. Lifting his head, he watched at the beach abruptly transform into a rocky terrain and became an abrupt wall of trees.

His head dropped back into the sand, taking a final moment of respite before attempting to stand. It was not a pretty business, his limbs felt just as much like dead as the rest of him-and he was using all four to make an effort “Work…you damn sea legs, yer supposed to be something a sailor is proud of” his jeering was answered by failing support coming from beneath him “can't complain with no rocking about, work, damn yo-uugh”. He somewhat succeeded, his body was somewhat off the ground. However, it was his neck supporting his weight with his forehead firmly planted into the ground-not his legs which only seemed to be pushing him further into the beach head first. Had he been a fawn freshly born, the scene he was in might've been adorable with him using every appendage at the ends of his torso to stand up.

However, now was not the time to be cute as one might put it. He pulled his arms in legs in, kneeling and he supported himself on his joints. More air coming in and going out, with bits of sand to irritate his nostrils. He tried again. First to came putting one foot under himself, not fully, more so just the tip of his shoe. He dug them into the ground and pushed, leaning on his forearms and joint while finding the correct leverage. There! He had it. One foot sole connected with the earth. The next part would be tricky, but it was time for the other one. Rocking on towards his leg, this time he used the palm of his hands to lead his body up. The second leg seemed more reasonable, the only hassle was resisting the urge to capitulate once again. Finally, the sole of his left foot was driven into the sand, although, not directly beneath himself. Nothing a few seconds of wobling his legs closer wouldn't fix.

The time can to break his prostration completely, this time, and the captain started to lift his chest higher then his waist. He fully believe that this would end with his rear back in the sand, an improvement despite its failure, but he wouldn't allow this game to go on any longer. His legs proved their worth, and, sooner or later, his head eventually made it back to its correct position in of his anatomy. The universe finally returned him to a better state of understanding, a dead man walking that should've been laying at the bottom of the deep with the rest of his ship and crew.

“…” He was in silence as the thought came to him more clearly. If he were alive, he had to find out what happen to the rest of his if they were still around. Had to find out what was left of their ship if anything could be salvage for their continued to survival. Find out where his prize was at if were still…”uuRRRGH” his insides curled and emptied themselves on the beach beneath him. A mixture of sea water, blood, and some other unsavory substance marked the earth between his feet. To his credit, though, his Sea Legs were worth their salt and he was spared from falling into the vial. Pulling his head back up in a jutting motion, he reassessed the situation. Nothing but beach to his right, nothing but sand to his left, an entire sea behind himself, and a jungle ahead. First, comb the beach to see if anything of value or familiarity could be discovered while doing so. Then…he could think about what to do next-

“AAAAHH!” a scream came from within the trees, jerking the captain’s attention away from his inner thoughts. Without saying a thing, his course of action had been decided in record timing and he made his legs move him forward towards the sound he. Stumbling as fast he could without falling, he kept to a brisk pace as he urgently made his way off the beach and into the canopy of the trees. Maybe it was his crew, maybe it wasn't, but it was most certainly human contact…maybe sapient contact, at least, that could help him in his current predicament. Although, from scream, he wondered if the creature he was hobbling towards was more in need of help if not just as much as this pitiful man was.

But that didn't stop him from moving, he kept his momentum going. If whoever…or whatever, was in dire straights he needed to get to them that much faster. His survival depended on anything and everything he could with precious time that kept ticking. He must find a way to survive this situation, it started with him refusing to lay quietly on the beach, and it now followed him to the chorus of screaming. If they were a friend, he would help if for no other reason then to help himself. If they were a foe…hopefully they needed even more help than he did.

“Cap'n? CAP'N?! CAPTAIN-over here!” a voice racked with a mix of joy and fear called out ahead. The someone noticed his approached, and it gratefully appeared to be an ally. “up hear-UP HERE” the cracked voice guided him, beckoning him to look up. Hanging by a rope tied his leg, he found one of his crew dangling in the trees above like some sort of fruit begging-quite literally-to be picked from its current state. It was, funnily enough, the man he had operating the pulley system back on the deck. Maybe it was due to the sudden to turn of events, but the captain couldn't help but laugh at the irony that he found in the situation. Or it was supposed to be a laugh, the only sound he made a more exaggerated exhale. “Please get me down from here, Cap'n, my head don't feel right…and my bowles aren't any better”

Mute, but not silent, the rejuvenated man stumbled through the undergrowth and made his way over to his crewmate. Hi hand reached to his side where his trusty cutlass still hung in its sheath, ready to work it out and cut his ally down. Though…twas a curious thing, finding a trap out here. Wherever they were, some natives with the intelligence to make the contraption had to be close by in order to make use out of it. If so, the first thing to do after saving his man and the rest was finding the location of their population. They could barter for resources…assuming they had anything worth trading. But they could most certainly figure out their location, and from there, they could plan their course. Yes! The more information he could get his hand on, the better their chances of survival and returning to the life they once new. Yes! This was but a hiccup in the struggle of life, a blessing in disguise, he knew it so.

Blade drawn, he searched for the anchor point of the rope. Should only take one good slash, any decent blade carrier could accomplish that. The hardest part in would just be in finding it…actually, that was the hardest part. Where is that damn rope?! He circled the tree his crew member was hanging from, sure that it had to be here somewhere. But no matter how hard he looked, there was no sign of any thread like substance. “…sir…I'm beggin ye t get me down from ere.” Almost sensing something was wrong, his mate called out to his one hope with a hint of urgency in his voice.

The man redoubled his efforts, if the anchor point wasn't around this tree then it had to be at one of the nearby ones. Looking around, they were standing in the middle of a clearing with a small canopy of withered trees. There were only five, each adorned by gnarly crown of crooked branches naked of any leaves. They hardly looked alive, especially compared to the rest of the forest, and yet they were the most dynamics object one could lay eyes on. Even so, they had a stillness to them, disturbingly so for a tree. They made him uneasy. The sooner they could get away from them, the better. Wait! The rope, he found it a little deeper in the canopy. “Brace yerself” speaking for the first time, he raised his cutlass “don't break anything on yer way down” and cut the rope in two.

“…Did ye do it yet?” the crewmate called out. Looking up, the captain saw that the fellow was still hanging by a taut rope, completely undisturbed by his action. Looking down, he speculated at the thread he just severed. Made from a mixture of on hand materials, it was the only one of its kind around. So how it didn't release his fellow man confused him. He turned his attention upward. At this rate, he was going to have to try climbing and releasing the sailor directly. He wasn't quite certain if he had the strength to try that at the current moment, but he couldn’t well just leave em hanging. He stepped out from the canopy, trying to organize his thoughts when he was suddenly ripped up through the air by his feet.

“NNgghAAAHH” he yelled as his world had been flipped upside down. He must've stepped in another trap-dammit, didn't see another one. Must've been well hidden, too damn well at that. Whoever made this contraption was a filthy cur that he would remember to beat once he was free of his predicament…if he could get out of it.

“Cap'n? Cap'n, what happened? Did you get caught to?!” a voice came from a direction, and as nauseated as it work to focus his senses, the captain never the less followed the sound from where it came. He found his crewmate staring back at him in disbelief before allowing his head to slack. “Dammit all, got you to. We're never gettin out of this.”

The captain was silent for a moment, and then furious. After being given a second chance, he would squander it so effortlessly right here. He would find a way to free them, and get out of this mess. In his anger, he tightened his fist while resolving himself to find a way to escape. “My sword!” That's when he remembered his cutlass was still secure in his very hand, managing to keep from dropping it in the sudden motion. Looking down…up…at his feet, he spied the rope that had snagged his ankle. Even like this, he should be able to get out. Turning back to the crewmate, he said “you got a knife on ye?”

“…dropped it when I was yanked.”

Inhale. It was getting dark.

Exhale. This had to be done now.

“…Alright, listen to me” the captain spoke after a pause “you ain't a seaman, you're a monkey”

“O-OI! What's that for Cap'n, you can just take being a sailor away from me. The Sea is my home, my life, me…mother-“

“Listen. You're mother gave birth to a monkey…and monkeys swing” he looked the guy clear in the eye “a sea monkey, yeeah. You're a sea monkey who's going to swing over to me so I can cut you loose!”

“C…cut me loose” the sailor paused, looked towards his leg caught in the trap and immediately turned back “what if you miss?!”

“Hey! Look at me-LOOK at me” he commanded his attention, trying to bark away any doubt the man could have “Monkeys swing. A Sea Monkey ought to know how to swing like a rocking ship. Just think about that, like a babe in a cradle going to sleep. Swing. Swing to me.” For a moment, all the fear the man had swelled into his, and then, he nodded. He shook his body one way, then the next, until his mass pulled at the rope in a way that made the shifting of weight smoother. He built up a rhythm, followed it to completion, and nurture it into growing. He started swinging, coming closer and moving further with each cycle. The captain prepared himself, he didn't have much energy, and hanging here all night would leave them both in much worse dire straights then getting this over with. He made a silent promise to his crewmate to not screw this up, and he began swinging himself.

The two tried to match the other the best way they could. It took them some tine, and already the guy with the most important task was starting to feel a bit exhausted. But he forced himself to go on, pushed forward with will power if nothing else. Just a bit more…more…more-

“HUGPH!” the tip of his blade’s edge swung out towards the man's leg…and cut the rope less then an inch above his foot. The sailor screamed, a strange sound of fear mixed with relief and flooded with surprise escaped his throat as began to fell. The man better be grateful. The captain had to twist body for that extended reach and could already feel his guts ready to erupt out of his mouth. But it had been worth it, for just he had cut one set of ropes, his blade was still in the middle of traveling towards his own snare. In one swoop, he cut both of them-hardly a second apart. A decent swordsman-ha. Perhaps he shouldn't be so modest. If he survived the fall, this would make quite the tale-

“Ahg!” a sharp pain tore through his arm and nearly pulled it out of its socket. Something…something grabbed him. His sword arm, right around his wrist. Looking in confusion, he saw the rope he had recently sliced coiled itself around him…moving like some sort of serpent. He became still, not understanding what was happening, but knowing that it wasn't any good for his sake.

“Cap'n…” Turning around, he followed the voice from behind him. At first, all he saw was another rope…a long one at that, moving ever so slowly yet thoroughly as the crewmate he recently freed was hoisted. This time, however, with coils wrapping themselves around his body. “It…didn't work.”

He didn't reply, couldn’t think of anything to say, there was nothing to say, this wasn't right. This was…

HHHHHNNNNGGGGG. A twisted and corrupt sound came from the trees that the ropes hailed from. They'd given him a bad feeling ever sense he saw them, and now they were unapologetically acting incorrectly for trees. They moved. One might think they were swaying in the wind, but there was no wind to cover for this inexcusable act of motion. The were twisting, their hulls moaning at the gradual movement. Like a giant flower in bloom, the canopy showed signs of vibrant life. Only it was like that of some unholy living creature taking the front stage instead of some silent plant in the background. They began to coil around one another, bending their great trunks in a howling ecstasy, merging their individual selves into one conglomerate form.

When it was finally starting to settle, the corrupt branches did the opposite of their great whole and began straightening out. They became a bush of spears, each poised and looking eager to skewer something. “!” Just as retched thought enter his mind, some of the branches turned his way. And then they began to extend towards him, gliding through the air like the tentacles of an octopus he found in a reef before, searching for prey to grab on to.

They were curious, and as night fell, he finally had the full displeasure of meeting the master of the snare trap as it came inspecting the quarry.

Last edited:
The common room was busier than before and Stillman pushed past groups chatting as he came up and took Valtek by the arm.
You know old Meg ?”, the barman looked across the room to where a middle aged woman was holding court telling some tale that involved sweeping arm gestures to an enthralled crowd.

Valtek thought for a second, “she runs the flower stall down by the river doesn’t she ?”

Aye and quite the curtain twitcher she is” came the reply. “Well she saw a survivor, some girl jumped, or was pushed from the Whispering Tower. Its been empty for years and the doors blocked up but the walkway to the palace is still there and folk have been seen up there.”
And there's more, she jumped and some other woman caught her if you can believe it !."
"Say what you like about Meg but she’s not got the imagination to make shit like that up !. There was also some bloke on a horse, they were heading for the road, the icing on the cake though, the girl, the jumper… she was naked
!”

Valtek thought for a second, if it was true they’d have had to be important to be locked away in that tower and desperate indeed to have jumped. He knew Meg, she liked a drink and a gossip but prided herself that her ‘news’ was true.

Look Val, you gotta be careful now, there are patrols out there, soldiers. Not just from Onor but from Zerona as well if you can believe that ! They’re looking for something, or someone. Maybe time to get out of town, lay low, at least until you’re healed up.

Before turning away the inn keeper nodded to the side of the building, “Mack has a couple of horses saddled, take you pick.” He smiled, “I’ll add it to ya bill”.

Onix Lyon

Walking through Runia

Coming up to the port of Runia Onix was expecting to see a bit of wreckage of ships and fire from the city. But he didn't think it would be to this extent. All he could do for now is to offer his best wishes to those still in the city. He had to check up on his people before being too concerned about anyone else. Onix began to search the wreckage of the ships at the port to see if there were any signs of his family's ships or any survivors picking up anything of interest. While avoiding any unwanted attention.After about a couple of hours or so of searching all that turned up was about six of the family flags and logos. Each was torn and slightly burned in some way from what looked like a fight. In addition to as many families heirlooms from the employees who died in the chaos. He would at least try to return them to the respective owners. After he finished putting the heirlooms in a safe place in the cubby he made his way to the dock.

Once docked Onix hide his boat the best he could before taking a foot on land. After walking for a bit he comes to his family's store in Runia
Lyon's Fishing and Chipping. (in small writing it says yes we do shipping). He couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at it before stopping and standing in front of the store for a bit. Seeing that the store had not escaped the looting. Seeing that it had been put in a state of dismay with broken windows and stock marks all around it. Seeing the only thing left was a box of free seashells and toys for kids made from fish bones. But something else catches his eye blood leading to the back office. Following it he comes to the body of Ifan one of the oldest members of the business. Walking up to him Onix knees down and examines him. It looks like he got deeply wounded and couldn't be saved. But suddenly a dragger came for Onix's throat but stopped when Onix raises his hand to block it getting a small cut on his hand."An here I was thinking I could take one of those Onorians with me but you got your parents in you."Said Ifan as he sat up with Onix helping. Once done Ifan informed him of what happened. While he was Onix bandage his hand. Afterward, Ifan gave Onix a hard look before he continued."Look, your grandfather and parents were good people and dam great captains. I would..." Onix raises a hand to stop him he could tell it wouldn't be too long.
"I know could you tell me some stories about them." He climbed onto the office deck opening up the ceiling and pulling out some old bottles of booze." Haha you know how to make an old man smile help me up I want to see her beautiful face while I tell you." Helping Ifan up and taking him outside to look at the sea and seating at the edge of the dock. They started drinking as Ifan told stories of the glory days. Ifan downing more than Onix he wasn't the best at handling himself with more than five strong drinks. "Guess you don't take after them in that regard. But I did get something for you it's where I was playing possum." Taking another swig from his bottle
"Really "Onix stood up walking back into the store where he found Ifan looking under the floorboards he finds his father's cutlass wrapped up their jolly roger. He lets out some tears before returning to Ifan. When he returned Ifan was nowhere to be seen. The only thing left was papered with some blood on them held down by a bottle. The first was lfan telling him thanks for sending time with him then it said sorry for the following. As Onix read the papers he became annoyed by them almost angry having a tight grip on his father's cutlass. The writing belonged to his grandfather. It was a shipment of exotic 'pets'.Seeing that there were some problems with the delivery. After taking some time to turn the shipping manifest into a list. Drop off in Runia. "Well, I guess this will be a longer trip than expected thanks, grandpa...Really."
Throwing his bag on his back .As he starts making his way through the ruined city.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back