• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"What ever happened to just shooting a man in the head for efficiency?" Shaun jokingly complained at Jesse, his barbarism was not unheared of in the Wastes. It was everywhere and it somehow bewildered the older man. Everybody's obcession with causing as much suffering as possible was odd to him, as it took longer, was harder to do, and most importantly; was much more messy.

He looked over at Rose, the woman was resting. "Penny for your thoughts?" He said to her as she stirred a bit.

Somewhere near Superior

The pain. The fucking pain.
It was bad enough having your fingers cut off, but the insult to injury was far worse. Matt had a high rank within House Irushi. A Sam-U-Rye. Matt was less concerned with the details and the history, and cared far more for he perks that came with the position. Granted, Matt had seen more sophisticated places than Irushi's territory, or even Noble territory in general, but his property with Irushi was his own. He ate fresh...ish food and didn't have to scrounge for any canned good that hadn't already been looted or eat worms. One of the top perks, of course, were the ladies. Even for him most harem girls were off limits but there were still pretty enough waster girls, and almost none would turn down a Noble.

His missing fingers might mean losing his rank. It was supposed to mean losing his life. Becoming a Noble was a good deal, but there was a catch. There was always a fucking catch. Some ancient set of rules followed by the people House Irushi was trying to be, required ritualistic suicide in the even of defeat. As word had hopefully not reached Irushi by now and the waster that crippled him was surely close by, perhaps Matt could save his own ass, but first...a little operation.

Three fingers were severed in perfect series. Middle, ring, pinky. But Matt was able to cauterize the bleeding fingers and, fighting through the pain, attached wires to the stumps. The wires wouldn't be as strong as actual fingers, but if he did this right he could hold and swing his katana properly. The wires were attached by more wires and to his index so when one moved, they all moved in the same way. Sharp pain intensified as Matt bent all his fingers. It wasn't ideal, but he had enough basic functionality to swing his blade.

At the Church Cellar

"I think for now it would be best to keep a low profile and figure out who exactly this Todd Noble is." Jesse said, thinking of where this person might be staying "Shaun, do you think this duel is some kind of big deal to the common populace? Like... a big enough deal for Todd's men to come and watch? And probably others?"

Rose was laying down in the cellar, her head resting on her backpack as she tried to relax. She was just about to nod off when Shaun spoke to her. She sighed, leaning back to look at him, "Just thinking about why I am still traveling with you all?"

She sat up, her expression slightly innocent, "I don't mean that to be rude...I meant. How did you all get together? You and that kid?"

She looked over to Jesse before she rubbed her eyes, "I left Jack to go fight the Nobility, and now I'm just a tag along. I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time here.."

She bit her lip, "That's my thoughts..."

Hawk had nothing to do but sleep, eat, and train while his armor is was worked upon. Over the next few days, he would find Snake would often come to see him. Usually she would talk to Hawk or ask to wash his hair, but would eventually begin to spar with Hawk.

"Hawk, you're strong, there's no doubting that, but where you're strong, you often miss your target due to your speed." Snake says, as she brings Hawk down into the depths of the caverns. Hawk knew where he was, and it made him more self-conscious of the scar on his left cheek. He touches it, and remembers when it was fresh, the ache of his muscles, and him running toward the light as a child, hoping to see his family. Hawk walks into a stalagtite without realizing it and smacks himself back into reality.

Hawk rips a chunk off of the rock and begins to chew on it to see if it was edible. He finds it hard to do, and can feel some of his teeth crack as he does so. He feels something tug on his arm. Looking down, he sees Snake.

"You... Really shouldn't put rocks in your mouth." Snake raises an eyebrow. "Are you okay, Hawk? You weren't really paying attention." Hawk nods, before spitting out the rocks to the side of the cave, more akin to spit taking pebbles. Snake chuckles a bit upon this sight. "You know, Hawk. You're a funny guy." Beaming him a smile, that he could only see from the dimly lit cavern with sconces lining the walls every so often. Snake leads him to a large opening in the caves that have torches lit around the area. Hawk, recognized this place.

"We're going to use this place to train together."

Train...

Hawk had been running toward the light, his clothes had torn against the stalagmites and he was bleeding from his face from whatever had assaulted him. He ran harder than he thought possible. His legs ached, his chest burned, but he was injured by whatever was behind him and it was loud. The flapping of wings was inside of his head as he pushed his body onward, and when he came to the break, he could see a large cliff looming over rapidly moving waves against a rocky shore. Hawk dove to the ground, as he felt a rush of wind take to the skies above him and screaming from bird like creatures. Hawk didn't dare to lift his head, not because he didn't want to, but because of the pain of exerting himself. He could barely even manage to move his legs. He cried out for his mother, his father.

He felt his blood coming out of his left cheek, and his legs pulsed with pain every time he drew a breath. His cracked lips felt hard to lick right now, and his breathing was the only sound filling his head. His gasps would die down until eventually he could hear the waves crashing against the rocks near the shore. The pain racking his body was immeasurable. Two black shadows are cost over Hawk, blocking the sunlight from his body. One turns him over, and Hawk finds himself glad that they were covering his eyes with their shadows. One produced a water skin and brings it to Hawk's lips, making him drink it. "He survived them with but a mark from the hawks..." Bewilderly spoken from one of the shadowed figures.

Hawk was now on the ground, clutching his head. "HAWK!" He heard scream in his ear. It was Snake. "What's wrong!?" Hawk shakes his head, as he composes himself, slowly rising back to his feet. He realized there was a pain in his head, and upon running his fingers along his skull, realized he had dug his nails into his head and had drawn blood. Snake stares in concern at Hawk, before she begins to speak in a hasty tone. "I didn't mean to bring you down here if it was gonna hurt you, Hawk." She says, looking guilty. Hawk shakes his head again, and gets into a ready stance for combat.

Snake, hesitantly smiles at first, before slowly producing a bi-fold staff. "I guess you really like fighting, huh? Okay, but we're going to work on your speed." Snake and Hawk charge at each other. Snake, with her nimble body, finds herself easily able to weave around Hawk's fist and puts her staff to his neck, forcing Hawk to pause. "This, is why we need to work on your speed. You're strong, but you must be faster." She says as she somersaults away from him with ease. "Now," she says, pushing her hair that was now draped across her face to the side of her vision, tying it up in a messy bun. "We're going to try this again."

Hawk looked at her in shock, and found himself wanting to impress Snake. They began charging at each other again. Snake weaving around Hawk's attacks in a more defensive and evasive position. Snake climbs to the top of her staff at one point and taps Hawk on his head with her hand when he goes to throw a punch in her direction. "Too slow, Hawk!"

The Hawk continues to try and catch the snake, but has the snake already infected the Hawk with it's poison? Time will tell.

Last edited:
Shaun listened intently to Rose, and what she had to say. It made his heart wrench a little when she said she felt like 'Just a tag along', when he knew she was more than that.

"'Just a tag along?' No way. You are Mad Rose Dillinger." Shaun responded with emphasis, "The wild ax woman of the North. You have proven yourself to me a long time ago, and now you have joined us. I wasn't expecting to see you alive after this much time, but now you're here. I understand you feel like that now, but you will get your chance to play to your strengths sooner or later." He told her, attempting to lift her spirits.

Shaun finally answered Her question with "I had a bit of bad luck a year or two back, a sinkhole dropped me into a sewer from the street above. One way or another I was pinned under a blasted out car, only able to look up into the open sky from the hole in the street above. I must've been down there a couple days, before I heared somebody above and called out." Shaun paused a second, look in over at the young man.

"Turned out Jesse was up there, and I convinced him to help free me in exchange for reading and first aid lessons. A few months later we wound up in Superior, and chanced upon Shisa, Ethan, Aurora and another girl, Ryder...but she's dead now." He regaled the story, probably attracting the attention of other members of the group as he did so. "We wound up fleeing a nobility kill squad into the Cistern. We then got hired to attack the settlement you were being held in, and the rest you know." He concluded.

"For the record, I could read already. The Bastards taught me." Jesse said, thinking it funny how the only people who could read were the Nobility and a gang of thugs "Anyway we have shit to do. A lot of shit. We should go somewhere else first off. Can't stay in one place. Shaun, if I get up and walk is that going to fuck up my leg worse?"

Just then Jesse heard footsteps. A lot of them. From the house above.

"Shit. I told Ethan to keep watch." Jesse said out loud, cocking his revolver "Can't do one thing..." He then mumbled.

Rose smirked at Shaun's words, "Mad Rose is right, listening to an old toss pot like you."

She gave him a teasing smile before her tone turned softer, "Thanks Darling. I do have to say this baudy group of outcasts has been the most interesting I have joined thus far."

She listened quietly to Shaun to explain how he met Jesse and the rest of the team. She was sad to hear about Ryder's demise, wondering what it would have been like if they had met. She nodded, "Oh yes. Caught me being sliced by Senator McFucknuts. Not my best moment. Sloppiness on my part. The last crew I had were so ambitious, but they couldn't see past their hatred. The want for revenge overtook everything and it got to a point where I couldn't... save them. Not that it was my fault. Just sad. They were good people. I don't want to see that happen again. I'm getting tired of watching people die.."

For a brief moment, Rose looked weary the light in her fading somewhat as she thought of the countless friends, allies and lovers that have fallen away to this cruel wasteland. At Jesse's words, Rose's smile came back and she laughed, "I've heard of the Bastards before. The stories I've heard..."

She was going to continue when the sounds of a group of people were above them. She was on her feet quietly, blowing out candles and turning off lights before moving over to a vantage spot unseen when entering the cellar doors, as she shut her eyes, listening to the sounds of footprints come closer before she whispered, "More than 5. Less than 10. It sounds like. I could be wrong though.."

Last edited:
"Honestly? You'll be fine as long as you don't gallop around overexerting yourself." Shaun told the young man, snatching up his shotgun reacting to the mass of footsteps above them. He carefully and slowly racked it, making as little noise as possible while doing so.

Shaun shuffled to move behind an overturned couch at the bottom of the flight of stairs, sealed off from the group of intruders by a bolted wooden door which was rotting on its hinges. Should they burst their way through it, they'd meet Shaun's fury at the end of the glass cannon. Shaun looked up the steps, where the creaking of floorboards were start in to be heared.

Shisa cursed under her breath. There wasn't much she could do to help, with her dominant arm all jacked up. She grabbed her bag of nettles, which she had refilled since its last use. She got up slowly, had it really been that long since she'd been on her feet?

Shisa slowly snuck to cover a bit away from Shaun, staying quiet as a churchmouse. She was off to one side, so she could easily throw the powder at any intruders without getting Shaun hurt in the process. She was drugged up to minimize her pain, which is alot given her arm was torn asunder. She was lucky she still had the arm. She just watched and waited.

The footsteps eventually stopped up above, but Jesse kept his gun aimed at the door. Then, the door started to lift to reveal a familiar face. A couple, really. Jesse didn't shoot, though couldn't pinpoint exactly where he had seen these people before.

The frail man, likely a bit younger than he appeared thanks to his condition, flung his hands to his sides.

"Peace!" He yelled

And behind the group of four desperate wasters was Ethan.

"Ethan what is this?" Jesse asked clearly irritated "Can't you do one thing?"

"These people hate the Nobility too. From how things have been going as of late I didn't think you would have anything against letting seemingly random people join." He said, his gun holstered and a book tucked between his arm. This clued Jesse to the problem.

"Keep your books about old world tech at the hq when you're on watch from now on. Focus." Jesse ordered "And the rest of you get out of here. Theres nothing for you here!"

Rose was prepared to take one of the waster's out with a vicious throw when she paused. Listening to Jesse's words with Ethan. She lowered her axe, and spoke quietly, "Jesse..The poor dears look as if they are going to pass out. The least we can do is give them some food.."

She looked at the leading young man with a kind smile, "What is your name darling?"

Shisa stayed behind her hiding spot, relaxing a bit when she saw it was Ethan with four new people. Ethan being a smartass like usual. Traveling with that many people would get risky.

"Ethan, one more comment and I will slaughter you." She said it in a joking tone as to not frighten the new people, but she was serious underneath. He was salty still, and they probably couldn't take in four new people. They got into enough trouble with just them, and she didn't want to endanger the newbies.

"Приемането на четирима нови хора е твърде рисковано, имаме достатъчно проблеми. Няма да имаме достатъчно храна." (Admission of four new people is too risky, we have enough problems. We will not have enough food.) Shisa said to Shaun. She had enough problems with the people in the group, she didn't need four new enimies. She got up, wobbling a bit on her feet. She kept facing away from the new people so they wouldn't see her face as she went back into the basement.

"Не искам да се занимавам с това лайно. Ако имате нужда от мен, ще хвърлям шекс в моята стая." (I don't want to deal with this sh*t. If you need me, I'll be casting hexes in my room.)

"Are you kidding me? Most of the food got destroyed in the attack!" Jesse argued, thinking back over how much food they have. Some of it was canned and kept preserved. Some of it was canned...but even a can can't protect it's contents from the passing of time. And then there was, in fact, hunted rabbits and squirrels being preserved with salt (Jesse had a basic understanding of how to use salt as a preservative).

"Alright, someone give em some of that fish." Jesse said, referring to the canned and heavily salted anchovies. He figured they were salty and dehydrating, too light on calories to be missed much, but in addition to that, Jesse never liked em "Ya know, the salty stuff. Then they can get outta here.

"Please...can't you spare any weapons? We've been on the run since we were rescued from slavery." One begged. This brought Jesse back.

Shit.

It was these people again.

"The Bastards have returned. Risen from the grave to avenge-" But the frail woman speaking this was cut off.

"Fuck the Bastards. If I ever see one again I will shoot em dead. Now take your fish and get out of here." Jesse still had his gun pointed this whole time. He wondered if the cultists coming for them had anything to do with these loud mouths.

Shaun nodded at Shisa's words. He gave her his shotgun to use as a cane as she walked away, after it was clear four starving escapees were no threat. "Shisa and Jesse are right, we barely have enough as is. I'm sorry, but that is all we can spare for you." He told the group of scavvers and the escapees.

After some time the Escapees left, leaving the group in peace. Shaun beckoned Jesse over to him to talk a bit more privately, simply muttering "How long are you gonna be in denial for? It's true what they say. You're the leader of the bastards, wether we are bastards too to you or not." He told the young man, clearly tired and needing a stiff drink. He couldn't drink from his hipflask, and the novelty Wine grew old fast.

As kind as Rose was she knew foodstuffs were low so keeping the four with them would be a hazard. She gave Jesse a soft nod at his words and a knowing smile at the kid when he changed his mind about sharing. Sometimes good leaked out whether we wanted it to show or not. She kept silent at Shisa's words, crossing her arms as she watched the woman go back to her area.

At the mention of weapons and the return of the Bastards, Rose gave Shaun a look to show she was slightly confused but intrigued. As the small group were basically told to leave, Rose came up after them, "Wait.."

She dug into her shoe and pulled out a small dagger she had taken and handed it to the young man, "You can use this to make spears for your group. Use a soft stone or rock and water, when you can find it to sharpen it, if it gets dull. If you guys make it remember to pass on this kindness. If we all abandon each other then they win. Now scoot....Scoot!"

She shooed them off and moved over to Shisa, knocking slightly so as not to barge in. She came forward with a soft smile, "How's the arm, love?"

She took a seat by her and looked down, clearly interested in what the young woman was doing, "So how does one cast a Hex? There is one man in particular who stole my shoes, my money and gave me a nasty case of crabs. I've been holding a grudge on that fucker for about twenty years now...and would love for him to lose his hair or his penis. Whatever you can do?"

She giggled lightly, hoping to keep the mood light.

"Its different this time. I'm different too." Jesse said, remembering the barrel of a gun and hearing the gunshot "But I know what you mean. I'm just buying us as much time as possible. We need to keep William's men in the dark. At least for the time being."

Jesse stood up and tested his legs. They didn't feel as strong as before, but he could definitely use them.

"We should probably move from here though. And I can be a little more useful now that my legs work." Jesse looked over at Shisa "Think you can handle a long trip?"

"My arm? Better, but can't do anything with it yet."

Shisa smiled at Rose, happy that she was showing interest in her craft. Oh, Jesse was talking. "I can tough through it. I can walk, but my arm is useless."

Shisa turned back to Rose and her stuff, closing the door on her room. She had taken one of the sub rooms in the basement to call her own. She began to take out several black candles, pouches of herbs, a bowl and a small jar of vinegar, pins, needles, a poppet, a fire starter, a pen and paper. "What was this man's name, or do you have something personal of his. I can't make his dick fall off, but I definitely can do some damage. Depending on what you have of his or what you want to do, I can do different things."

Shisa took out her grimoire, flipping through the pages for her section on curses. She would need Rose to help, there's no way she can write with her arm all jacked up. Besides, Rose helping would make it more personal to her.

"You will have plenty of opportunities to castrate people later. For the time being..." Jesse thought about where he was going to take everyone "Pack up."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somewhere on an Old World Highway
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There wasn't much in the region between where William's territory ended and Bob the Impaler's territory started. The noteworthy road that connected the territories was a crumbling road from when metal machines carried men faster than any horse could. This road was once known as I-25. Now and before, there came a point while traveling on this road where buildings were few and all one could see was vast open fields with a few thickets of trees around streams and ponds. In the distance, poles could be spotted clustered together resembling more clusters of trees. Jesse knew to keep a distance. The last thing he wanted was for anyone else to see what they really were and lower moral even more.

Jesse pointed at what was once a park that had now overgrown into a small forest.

"That way." Jesse said.

These people better like camping, he thought.

Days passed as Hawk continued every day, training hard, finding himself less interested in just killing in the arena as his father had taught him for years. He often found himself more interested in the time he was spending with Snake. As the training progressed, Hawk was finally able to catch Snake by her hood, while Snake stood in a little surprise, her staff resting against his forearm.

"I didn't think it would take a couple of days, but I shouldn't be surprised." Snake said, removing the staff from his forearm as Hawk releases her hood. He didn't smile, but he looked satisfied with himself. "You've been training hard, so I've been thinking of a way to reward you. Close your eyes and hold out your hand." Hawk did as he was told, and felt something strangely shaped enter his hand in an almost cupped upward position.

"You can open your eyes now, Hawk." Snake says, and as Hawk opens his eyes, he sees upon his hand an ornate masquerade mask in his palm. He holds it up with his index finger and thumb and looks over it. Decorative small gems lined the brows of the eyes, stain free porcelain that had silver lining the mask. It didn't look edible to him, but Hawk was never one to judge something that he didn't try yet. He lifted it to his mouth and felt Snake's staff smack his bicep. "YOU DON'T EAT IT!" She nearly screeched. Hawk looks down, slightly unsure why it seemed so important to not eat it, and tucks the mask away in his satchel, securely.

Snake leaned in really close to Hawk, pressing her small body against the large giant of a man. "Whatever you do, don't show your father that mask." Snake hissed very quietly before she pulled away. Hawk felt confused, but he decided for once, he would not show his father something, and keep a secret, as asked by Snake. He nods.

"Good," Snake said, with a bit of a smile that wore quite well on her face, she was relieved. "Now, I'm going to play on the offensive. Get ready for me." Snake's position changed, her staff flicked in her hands in rapid succession as her face grew less affectionate and more focused.

"En garde!" She yelled as she charged Hawk. Hawk lost sight of her until she was in front of his face, and by then it was too late. Snake smashes Hawk hard across his chest with her staff, forcing the man riddled with muscles back. While Hawk goes to step back, Snake sweeps his legs from under him and topples the man, her staff up to his neck in seconds.

"I told you to be on your guard, Hawk." Snake said with a cold tone to her voice as she pulls the staff away. Hawk looks confused at her, he didn't remember her being this fast before. He gets to his feet again, and puts himself back into a combat stance. Snake stares him in his face while he gets up, demeanor slowly becoming normal. "You're a good man, Hawk, but you're going to need to fight me like you want to kill me."

At this, Hawk visibly tenses up. Snake had not hurt him like others had in the arena, so he didn't see a reason to hurt her. Snake, upon realizing Hawk became tense, raises her voice, her face going back to a cold expression, as if she hated Hawk.
"If you don't try to kill me, I may kill you instead." She flashed her staff again with more ferocity as she spun it in her hands. "Now, again!"

Last edited:
Ethan stalked the thicket with a device in hand resembling a shotgun. This instrument differed from a shotgun, however, as in place of shells and pellets it shot pure searing hot steam in the face of anything unfortunate enough to stand too close. Jesse had ordered him specifically to check the wooded area surrounding a stream for threats, and Ethan was going to show Jesse he was perfectly capable of the task.

While Ethan acted stoic, like he didn't care one way or the other what anyone thought, he felt Jesse was the kind of warrior to look up to. He didn't want to seem a burden to the group, especially to the leader, Jesse.

Proceeding through the thicket with the barrel of his instrument taking point, he jumped his aim at a squirrel at the slightest noise. While wolves, mountain lions, and even elk were becoming more aggressive, squirrels retained their docility. He felt relieved to see the source of a sudden noise was relatively harmless, when he felt something snake around his right ankle. Next thing he knew he was hanging upside down by a rope.

"God damnit." Said Jesse, appearing out of the brush, revealing he had been only a few steps behind Ethan "You can't do one thing."

Jesse took out his pistol ready to fire, even though he figured whoever set the trap had long since left the area.

Watching some distance away, the two were being regarded with a predatory glare. The glare was no Lion or Wolf or other woodland creature, but perhaps just as unhinged and dangerous. The figure stayed motionless, barely blinking as the two men got stopped at the snare trap. They waited and waited, the two organising themselves as Ethan was getting removed from the trap. Once the men had moved on, the figure left the shrubbery they concealed themselves in. A fur trapper.

They reset the snare and quickly left the area. They weren't going to be caught out without the rest of the gang members. These two men looked like too much for one to handle. The group this unknown stalker came from had recently entered Culrud, with this specific member being just a scout. Boy would they have good news to report. That was for sure...

Jesse automatically has his gun out and pointed in the direction of the bushes the split second he sensed someone else around, but then didn't see or hear anything else.

"Damnit Ethan what have you gotten us into?" He said in a hushed voice "Everybody look around, whoever set these traps is close by. And watch your footing!"

Shaun headed up the rear of the group, guarding the backs of the wounded with his glass cannon. He helped Shisa take the weight off her ankle by draping her arm over his shoulders, treating himself as a lean to as additional support for her staff. In front of them was Aurora and Mos, and in from of them was Rose and Saxa whom were flanking the horses and cart, with Jesse and Ethan at the head of the caravan. The horses had survived longer than Shaun thought.

Woodland brush wasnt the best terrain for the wagon, and progress was slow. The biggest hamper so far seemed to be Ethan getting caught in a snare, and Jesse having to cut him down. The local wildlife seemed to avoid this area, so they were fortunate to not have anymore rabid forest critters on their heels like an over vocal Dizznip princess, or whatever they were called.

Certain that whoever set the trap had departed the area, Jesse lowered his gun again and observed the area. It seemed like forever since he had camped out in nature, especially with a canopy and river or lake. Here there was only a stream but it was enough for aesthetics. He felt more content in such an area. This could be a detriment if he got too comfortable though.

When the tents had been set up and a fire was going, Jesse looked through the trees to the shadow silhouettes in the distance along the road going North. He had heard of people who had been sodomized. It never sounded pleasant even when it didn't result in mortal injuries. Depravity was nothing new to Jesse, being that even he himself was willing to torture murder enemies. Still, impalement was a special kind of sadism.

"Now that we are set up, we should head to Denver tomorrow for information about this duel." He said, eating a roasted rabbit on a stick "I don't think its just a duel. I think its several duels. Called a tournamett."

"3000 years on this God forsaken earth and our civillisation's main source for entertainment is blood sports. Some things never change." Shaun muttered, disapproving of it all. What was the point of fight I to kill the opponent if you have to handicap yourself in certain ways? Just bring a shotgun to a knife fight, that way it's over quicker.

The old scholar rose on his creaky knees to get some rabbit, roasting on a think skewer of wood by the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back