Idea Basic Dice System

Error 420

One Thousand Club
Without pulling out all your Pathfinder books and your matching set of dice, making a dice RP seems a little daunting. However, I have a solution.

I call it the D&D 0 Edition! It's like D&D, but simplified to an extreme for easy use in any game.

Here's an example from a current thread of mine, including CS.
Stat Rolls:
Roll 3 d6 eight times, and remove the two lowest sets of rolls and assign them how ever you want. These stats affect various dice rolls determining how not bad your life will be throughout the game.

Skills:
You will roll "against" these throughout the games with a d20. You can choose two skills to tag in, and only two (for now). These are the things you're good at, and you'll have a better chance are not screwing up when you have to use these skills.
Acrobatics: Based on dex, how well you can leap, run, do sick free-running.
Guns: int, when you know the difference between a SIG Sauer and an AK-47.
Athletics: str, it's how well you can climb, punch something, and teach that beach bully a lesson.
Deception: cha, how well you can trick humans with functioning brains.
History: int, when you know the exact altitude of the Mason-Dixon line
Insight: wis, how well you can figure out a functioning brain's true intentions
Intimidation: cha, when you can scare the hell out of somebody, functioning brain or not.
Investigation: int, finding out details about what you can see
Medicine: wis, doing first-aid
Nature: int, finding the bear necessities
Perception: wis, looking for things you can't see
Persuasion: cha, persuading functioning brains to do your bidding
Scrounging: int, how well you can find stuff in the ruins of civilization
Sleight of Hand: dex, how much of a sneak thief you are
Stealth: dex, how stealthy you are
Survival: wis, what you can make from the wilderness

CS:
Name:
Appearance:
Strength: (How hard you hit something)
Dexterity: (How quick you are)
Constitution: (How tough you are)
Intelligence: (Knowing a tomato is a berry)
Wisdom: (Knowing a tomato does not belong in a berry salad)
Charisma: (How charming you are)
Tag Skills: (2)

That explains how stats and skills work right there. There's more stats that the GM has, like HP (health) and speed (movement speed), as well as all of the skill stats.

In regular play, a character would state an action they want to do. For example,

Player: "I search the corpse for any valuables."

GM: "Roll investigation"

Player then rolls a 20-sided die, and adds their skill stat to that roll to see if they succeed. It depends on the situation, but GM chooses what roll will result in a success. For a general rule of thumb though, <10, failure, >15 complete success. 1 is a critical failure no matter what and 20 is a perfect success.

In combat, people roll initiative with a d20, where they add their dex modifier (more on that later). Initiative scores from greatest to least are the turn order. In a turn, characters are allowed to move up to their speed stat, do a single action, and talk as a free action.

How the stats are used: Each of the main stats has a "modifier". It's the default stat for each skill using that stat. Modifiers are found by taking (stat-10)/2, rounding to whole numbers towards zero.

Leveling up is essential, and there's several ways you can do it. I'd go with adding 1 to one stat of your choice, and adding 6 points spread out to any skills for level 2. The count should go up with every level.

max scores:
Level 2: 6 is max score on any skill
Level 3: 8
Level 4: 12
Level 5: 16
Level 6: 20

DYING: When your health is at zero, you're bleeding, and will lose health points per turn until stabilized. You are dead when you are at negative your total health. Roll a new character.

Health is found by taking con modifier * 1d4 roll + 10.

But yeah. Pretty simple. Just one solution, so what are yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back