• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Baldur’s Gate: Descent to Avernus (D&D 5e)

Magnar

King of the Underworld
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Friedrich Nietzsche

98EEF638-B0F2-4AF0-A665-0EA4C7891A98.jpeg
They came.

A slow trickle at first, but then more, and more and more. Ragged and desperate, the trickle of refugees grew more and more, until that trickle became a flood. As the first of them entered the city gates, they carried with them tales that were so far-fetched as to be completely ridiculous. The Holy City of Elturel, for so long a shining bastion of goodness, had fallen. A city so pure that a second sun shone above it to bask the city in its holy radiance.

But as the refugee's came in ever greater numbers, it became harder and harder to discount the troubling stories that came with them. Elturel had not just fallen, it had been scoured entirely from the surface of Toril, and Grand Duke Ulder Ravengard had been lost. As hundreds of thousands of Elturan refugees spill into the city of Baldur's Gate, and the Flaming Fists struggle to maintain law and order, little does anyone realise that this is just the beginning of a far deeper and darker plot, one that stretches not just from the world of Toril but into the depths of Avernus itself.

~~~~

Welcome to Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

4CBEA812-B538-418F-B16B-1B8AAC6FAE94.png

Baldur's Gate, or as its known to its inhabitants, "The Gate" is the largest metropolis and city-state on the Sword Coast. It is also one with a storied history. In the year 1368 DR, Sarevok Anchev initiated a plot to poison and weaken iron shipments across the Sword Coast. It was the start of an elaborate plot with political ramifications that would shake the entirety of the region to its very core. It was also one that was designed to leave him as the sole Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate.

Yet there was a secret that Sarevok kept concealed with his co-conspirators inside the Iron Throne. He was the progeny of the god Bhaal, who foresaw his own demise during the Time of Troubles, and his true motivation was to cause enough instability and chaos in the region to become the new Lord of Murder.

Sarevok failed, and he was slain by Abdel Adrian, his own brother.

Over a hundred years have passed since those tumultuous events. Grand Duke Abdel Adrian is dead, having been slain ten years past. The city today is a veritable picture of chaos. The Flaming Fist, bereft of their commander, are struggling to keep the peace in a city divided by its residents and refugees from the lost city of Elturel. To make matters worse, cultists of the so-called "Dead Three", Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul, are sowing discord and chaos amongst an already divided city, threatening to turn the potentially combustible powder-keg into a full on explosion as the city implodes within itself. And as the streets become bathed in the blood of countless hundred of thousands of innocents, there are those in the upper echelons of the city who are determined to use the political instability as vehicle to seize power for themselves even as the city tears itself apart below them.

And this is just the beginning of the city's problems.

Where the city of Elturel once stood there is now nothing but a deep, scorched crater. Something dark and terrible has wiped the city from the surface of Faerun, and this is only the beginning. Soon, dark and hungry eyes will inevitably turn their gaze to the slowly dying city....

Into this politically charged cauldron of blood and chaos you will come, yet it will not be a simple task to save Baldur's Gate.

Are you prepared to descend into hell itself to save your home? Are you prepared to ask yourself the most difficult question of all?

Is it more important to save the lives of many, or the soul of one?

The Application Process Ideally, I am looking for five characters here to accompany a character of my own creation, but in the event I don’t get that I can run this with only three others to join me. Please find below particulars as to what I'm looking for in the game and a bit more specific detail about the game. If there's something you're not sure of, then by all means shout.
  • Starting Level: 1
  • Ability Point Generation: Point Buy OR Dice, your choice
  • Acceptable Sources: PHB, ScaG, Volo's, XGE only
  • Starting Equipment and Gold: As per PHB starting equipment and background
  • Variant Humans? Yes
  • Good or Neutral Characters only
  • Posting Rate: 2 times a week

For the application itself could you provide me with the following details:-

Name:
Class:
Alignment:
Personality:
Appearance:
Backstory:
RP Sample:

For any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I swore off a lot of roleplays, but Descent into Avernus sounds appealing because it depicts the Blood Wars and I have next to no prior knowledge. Count me interested. I was considering a rogue, druid, or an aspirant Doomguide DEX-based paladin. *gasp*. Maybe all three along the road! What are your rules for dice rolling? Is it rolls of 4d6, remove the lowest?

Rolls would be 4d6, keep the highest 3 rolls, however if the ability scores are absolutely atrocious I'd allow the facility to reroll.

Knowing me and my atrocious luck half the time, I thank you. I rolled just now and am rather pleased with what I got. 6, 13, 14, 14, 16, 17. I also threw a grace roll of 13 if you think the 17 and 16 are too high.

writing down results using an online wizards dice roller
Roll(4d6)+0:
4,1,2,5,+0
Total:12
Roll(4d6)+0:
3,4,6,5,+0
Total:18
Roll(4d6)+0:
4,6,4,1,+0
Total:15
Roll(4d6)+0:
2,6,5,4,+0
Total:17
Roll(4d6)+0:
3,2,5,5,+0
Total:15
Roll(4d6)+0:
5,6,4,5,+0
Total:20

16, 13, 15, 14, 15, 11

character idea 1 rogue daughter of a pirate captain
1627065015577.png

character idea 2 Wizard that used to work at clothing shop weaving clothes together but bored of her job and started exploring her love of all things magical through books

1627071459988.png

these are just the two top ideas I have at the moment

Ooo! I'd like to join! Though I don't actually know much about Baldur's Gate.

For rolls I got 15, 13, 18, 8, 14, 17

Whelp, 2 high stats but I think that eight painfully balances it out.

I might be interested in this. Would you object to a minotuar as a PC race?

1609731540740.png

This is the official write-up of the race for you to look at.

Ooh, good rolls, both! These are well above the average. Also, a minotaur! I am looking forward to seeing a minotaur if accepted.

I could pull in my old cleric character of Gurk the Gross; the human healer with a 4 Charisma.

Gurk was a fun character idea. He was a great way to cover up a roll of a '3' on the dice that you stuck in your Cha stat.

Minotaur was in Volo’s wasn’t it? If so then I have that source so it’s ok. How’s about I throw up a character thread later? Will post my own character there.

Minotaur was in Volo’s wasn’t it? If so then I have that source so it’s ok. How’s about I throw up a character thread later? Will post my own character there.
To be honest, I have no idea of what book that the minotaur is in. I wanted to play one in an earlier game, and the Storyteller shared with me that one sheet that I posted up top. I also found it on the DnDBeyond website.

I just need a spot where I can roll some dice for my attributes that is acceptable with you. A character thread is a good place for me to use the die roller here.

Magnar Magnar Can you also post an official list of those that have a spot in the game, along with a OOC thread to bring our musings? We can discuss who's playing what so there is no confusion.

Yeah, if I'm in, I'll go ahead and pull in my idea of Gurk once more. Every party needs some good healing power.

For my part, I'm going with either a straight fighter, or perhaps a paladin. Depends on how well I roll on my stats.

I must confess, I am half tempted to make a halfling that will hitch a ride on the horns of Sherwood's minotaur! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back