• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (IC)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
  • Inula Mallian
    Lvl 2 Dogfolk Bard

I returned Axtis's greeting with a simple nod and a 'looking forward to knowing you better as well'. I didn't really deserve her praise with how useless I had been yesterday, but that didn't mean I wasn't still happy to heart it. Besides, maybe today even someone like me might be able to be just the tiniest bit useful. In that sense, I had to agree with Grond: I really hoped we could go and just get this whole dealing-with-a-cult thing up and dealt with! Fortunately, I didn't have to wait long before Hafdan called for us to depart to the baths Tarina had mentioned the cultists were in.

I couldn't help noticing, however, that someone new was coming along with us. Who was that nearly bald elf with the grumpy expression and the bow and the arrows? Wait, wasn't he the one that threw those knives earlier? Why were we letting him come along with us? Or had he been arrested by us or something? When did that happen? As much as I wanted to ask, it'd just be too awkward with the person in question right there.

My attention was taken over by that incredible bathhouse when he arrived, though. A beautiful garden with fountains and benches of marble of all things (but quite fitting for baths), surrounding walls engraved with the image of nymphs. The inside revealed to be no less beautiful: It was like an extravagant chapel, with the ceilings of stained glass and those paintings. I kept an eye out for anything magical above or near any of the sources of water, but alas I couldn't tell if there were any devices like the kind papa designed anywhere. Maybe I should have paid more attention to his rambles back then.

"Even so, I think he would have liked to see this anyway." I muttered to myself. "It's so, uhm, so artistic! I wonder what kind of passion went into this. It's just like Allus Rockrise said. 'Look, Sonnie, how the celestials open the gates of heavenly perfection yet we are so blinded by a single glimpse of even its leftover light that we must rest in between mere moments of it.'. "

Maybe my turn to peek would be one of these-

I suddenly bumped into someone ahead of me. I was about to apologize for not paying attention while I observed the bathhouse, when I noticed they had drawn their weapons for the most part. . I scrambled to find my pen and paper, barely double checking whether the written spells I had written in advance for any emergencies were in an adequately reachable sack or not., even though I wasn't sure what was going on in the first place. I did try peeking a bit before asking of course, but that only resulted in my covering my eyes with my paws. There were a bunch of naked people just walking around in here!. Why were these naked people all armed to the teeth?! Whose room did we just enter and was now surrendering to us (butt naked as well!). If this is what bathhouses were like, no wonder Papa had never taken me to one!

Even in that kind of situation, an argument began to boil within our group, this time between Fallen Dragon and the new elf member, about whether or not to try to save the naked people from our potential "bloody" actions. Truth be told, even though I barely knew him, I did at least agree with the elf about something, it wasn't right to kill them just because they might perhaps be connected to the cult! I began to raise a paw, but dropped it before it even rose above my belly. What was I about to do? Upset, betray lady Vannath again? Even if Fallen Dragon wasn't Lady Vannath herself, he was surely her most trusted aide. If I did anything, if I said anything, what good would it accomplish now? I'd just cause more trouble like yesterday.

Don't worry though, me! Your chance to shine will come! Just...just not right now. As my fingers flickered through the pages I was readying myself with earlier, in an effort to calm down, Axtis and Grond began interrogating the person we caught in this room, and the former in particular searched the wall. I jumped in place as the wall seemed to suddenly open, and a tiny person came out from it! They were waiting for us too? Did the captain send them?

"Wait, if the captain sent them there... wouldn't that mean he already knew where the place was?" I asked myself, then shook my head. "Wait, that's not important right now. We better follow her if she knows where we can find those cultists. It's what we're here for, right?"

With that said, I was right behind Hafdan. In a metaphorical sense.

okada-manabi-shingeki-no-bahamut-anime-inumimi-3404461-jpeg.790124

Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Hit Points: 15/15
    Hit Dice: 2d8
    Armor Class: 14
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 30 ft
    Passive Perception: 10
    Spellcasting Ability: Cha
    Spellsave DC: 15
    Spell Attack Bonus: +7

Bardic Inspirations: 5/5

Spells
Cantrips: (2)
*Guidance
*Mending

First Level: (4)
*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep
*Speak With Animals [Ritual]
*Unseen Servant [Ritual]

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Wolf Pelts Leather Armor
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
146 CP

Carrying:
*Calligrapher's Supplies (magical focus, has an effect which magically produces paper)
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Rope (silk) (currently with a small reduction in size)
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer
*Tumbling Tales of Tom Tomb (book)
*Diary of a Princess (book)
*Practical Analysis of Arcane Script Pt1 (book)

Skills
Saving Throws:
Strength: +1
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +4
Wisdom: 0
Charisma: +7

Skills:
Acrobatics: +4
Animal Handling: 0
Arcana: +5
Athletics: +1
Deception: +7
History: +4
Insight: 0
Intimidation: +5
Investigation: +5
Medicine: +1
Nature: +4
Perception: +1
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +9
Religion: +4
Sleight of Hand: +4
Stealth: +4
Survival: 0

Passives

Researcher- When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Diplomat- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.

Song of Rest: Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance spend one or more Hit Dice to regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points.

Perception Check: 2

Interacting With: N/A

Mentions: Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide D. Rex D. Rex Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Epiphany Epiphany dr xenon dr xenon Dethrix Dethrix

Might Also Want To Read: N/A

Sherwood Sherwood

The terrified woman pointed across the building towards where your companions had found the hidden door.

Idea Idea Epiphany Epiphany dr xenon dr xenon Lioness075 Lioness075 D. Rex D. Rex Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Psychie Psychie Dethrix Dethrix Ellya Ellya

The bathhouse patrons didn't wait for the group to decide whether or not to spare them. By the time the argument concluded, the only two people remaining in the building aside from their small army of Flaming Fist deputies was the pair of masseuses, who at least at a glance appeared to be unarmed. Even then, both of them were practically reduced to sobbing messes of terror, and there were no signs of cult regalia on or around their person. As the group stepped through the door, whatever you decided to do with the pair of bathhouse employees, quiet and unlit stairs greeted them. Ahead, the quiet drip of water was the only noise that seemed to call out to you. The stairs descended ten feet. Twenty feet. Finally, whoever was up front saw into a large, dark room, full of putrid smelling water. Unfortunately for Chise, it looked to be at least two feet deep, but everyone would find the sewage rather hard to traverse regardless ((the water is difficult terrain.))

The room's ceilings were nine feet high, with wooden braces holding up the ceilings at several points throughout. The walls appeared to be hewn from limestone, and to those more familiar with stonework such as Hafdan, quite a long time ago. That being said, despite its disgusting appearance, the room itself was quite bare. There were two exits: One to the party's left, and one to its right. To the right appeared to be a short dead end (further investigation revealing nothing of note), while the left was a long, stretching hallway that continued out of the group's sight, with or without light or darkvision, as it sharply curved to the left only about twenty feet down.

map.PNG

Pressing further on and turning left, the sewage continued to slow the your walk through the long hall for some distance. Its foul smell clogged your senses, especially your unfortunate new Halfling companion, whose head was only a bit above the water itself. Probably best if Chise kept her head turned up slightly, lest she swallow some as the group splashed through the filth. A solid few minutes of walking passed before you eventually found your way to a ramp that rose out of the water, the passage hooking right this time. Ahead, a housecat stood at a closed door, meowing towards the group as they approached. It jogged over, absolutely covered in sewage; but it had been told to scout ahead, and so it did. It meowed pitifully at the halfling.

Any inspection for traps or hazards would find none, and no sound came from the other side of the door. Swinging open, as for the room itself, it was roughly shaped like a diamond. The room was seemingly empty, but not bereft of decor. Three exits, one on each wall, faced the party. All three doors in the room bore intricate carvings, though to the party's right there was no door. At this point, given you knew what you were looking for, the carvings were fairly easily recognized.

d9.PNG

The party having entered from the North, the door to the East showed a tall man clad in plate armor, his face hidden by the visor of his great helm. His right gauntlet was painted back and holding shackles. The man's posture was rigid, almost military, and his boot rested on top of a pile of humanoid skulls. It was plainly a depiction of Bane, god of Tyranny. To the south, across the room from the party, the door was carved with the image of a cloaked figure appearing to float above the ground. Its face was hidden by the cloak's hood, and the only visible piece of the being itself was a skeletal hand that emerged from the cloak, holding a screaming human skull. Myrkul, god of death. Behind the party, the door they came in through had a powerfully built, skull-headed figure with hooked blades instead of hands. Bhaal, god of murder.​

Last edited:

Hafdan charsheet
Dwarf Fighter - Axe & Shield
HP: (24)
AC: 16/18
Passives:
  • Perception/WIS: 12
  • Investigation/INT: 9
  • Insight/WIS: 14
Action Surge [ ] / Short Rest
Second wind [ ] / Short Rest

Battleaxe: +6, 1d8+4/1d10+4
Handaxe 20/60, +6/+5 1d6+4

Studying the doors while simultaneously scraping the larger chunks of something from the sewers off of his boots Hafdan seems to come to a conclusion.

"We should probably all split up and go down each tunnel," he offers to the group.

• Inula Mallian
    Lvl 2 Dogfolk Bard

EEEWWWWWWW!!! Sewage water? I expected a lot of things today, but walking (or was it practically swimming by this point?) through sludge was not something I would associate with "hidden cult" and "bathhouse", especially the later! I shuffled through my bags in search of a prepared paper for that new spell I recalled yesterday. but just as I was taking it out, I shook my head. This was not the time to be wasting my magic. It didn't seem like we had 10 minutes though, and I wasn't sure how far above water any part of me would be. Maybe I could ask Fallen- no, no I couldn't. He might need to fight suddenly, if like a monster or a bandit or even a pirate showed up down there or something along those lines. Forget about not carrying, he wouldn't hesitate to drop anything I asked him to carry right into the sewers, or maybe even at his opponent. On the other hand, if I left it somewhere on the surface, my things would get stolen and sold for sure!

I opened up some of my sacks, moving my calligrapher's supplies and my books onto one sac, while my forgery kit and papers I put in the other. I did add a couple more small things to each, but I wanted to keep their weight on the low-end despite it. After all, I was going to have to carry those things in my arms the whole way through those very "murky" waters. I gulped once I was ready.

At first, I just dipped my feet (boots were tied to my sacks by the shoelaces) on the water, and shivered at once. Not just because of the cold, but also because it felt like dipping into a very thick soup. Nonetheless, I had proceed, and submerged one leg after the other.

..................................................​

"You want us to split up Hafdan? But, where to even? I mean, we just came from here." I pointed at our entry point. "And the only other passage is that hall over there. All the rest are closed! I think we should just all head through that open place first, before we try to force open anything we shouldn't, you know? We don't wanna be a Red Leapy the tomato."

Spells
*Guidance
*Mending

*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep
*Unseen Servant [Ritual]

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
146 CP

Carrying:
*Calligrapher's Supplies (magical focus, has an effect which magically produces paper)
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer

Skills
Saving Throws:

Skills:

Passives

Researcher- When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Diplomat- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.

Song of Rest: Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance spend one or more Hit Dice to regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points.

Interacting With: dr xenon dr xenon

Mentions: D. Rex D. Rex

Axtis looks at the two doors, and says, "Before we lock ourselves into a path, lets at least see if these doors are locked." She then walks over to the doors and checks them out to see if yes, indeed, they are locked up.

Lioness075 Lioness075

Vanishing from your party's sight and moving down the hallway to the west, it forked shortly ahead of you, lowering back into filthy water as there had been in the initial passage. To your left was a tapestry in a dry alcove, roughly five feet wide and seven feet tall. Depicted on the tapestry were four faceless, malformed figures ripping apart a fifth, screaming humanoid form. The grisly art work has managed to stay mostly dry at a glance, but appears to have been there for some time. To your right was a large, open room, but it was difficult to see exactly the room's purpose without going inside first.

d8.PNG

Psychie Psychie

The doors were, in fact, unlocked. Peeking through the eastern door revealed nothing but a long hallway that made a sharp turn towards the edge of your darkvision. Through the southern door, however, was an open room. Lying on the floor of this otherwise empty room were two sets of the pale bodies of three humans in filthy black robes, arranged in a triangular formation. A lit torch laid in the middle of each trio of corpses. A rough-hewn staircase to the left led down to another torchlit chamber, the light peering up through the stairs. The bodies appeared to be wholly unmoving, but as you looked at them, you could swear you saw the slightest rise and fall to their chests.

d10.PNG

Leandra.jpg
Name: Larassa LaFraeNicknames: Lara, Shadow
Class: RogueLevel: 2
Equipment: Shortbow & Arrows (19/20), Shortsword, 2x Daggers, Leather Armor (AC 16)

As the group finally made the decision to move down into the basement of this place, Larassa trailed after everyone, occasionally glancing behind herself to make sure nobody was following their large group. She hid a scowl in the darkness and obscurity of her hood, increasingly frustrated with their ever-growing group. It was only making it that much harder for her to be sneaky like she normally would be.

Struggling through the sewage water below, Larassa's scowl only deepened. While she was not the shortest of the party anymore, Larassa still hated getting wet like this. She kept her arms up in the air to try and keep most of her body dry, though her efforts were rather in vain overall. Her legs and pants were effectively soaked through by the time they got to the second room and her tail was limp behind her, dragging a bit along the floor.

Sighing, Larassa raised her tail around her side and began trying to wring out the water while the others discussed this odd room they were now all squeezing into.
Dropping her still wet tail to the floor once more, Larassa glanced around and then finally took note of the oddly designed doors. Before anyone started poking and prodding, Larassa investigated the room to ensure it was trap-free. Feeling confident with her check, Larassa stepped aside to let others poke and prod away.

Hearing Hafdan's idea, Larassa actually nodded in agreement. Their party was far too large now to take on one hallway. It would probably work out better if they evenly divided the party and split up. It was always possible they would end up meeting again at the end of the hallways.
Still, Inula was not wrong in pointing out that they had not really checked if each door was already unlocked.

Growing increasingly impatient with all the chatter, Larassa shook her head and simply turned away from the group and dropped to a crouch. Moving forward on all fours to lessen her size, Larassa snuck down the open hallway and left the party behind for now.

Approaching the fork in the hallway, Larassa cautiously peeked down each way and her scowl quickly returned at the sight of more filthy water. She was probably not going to stay dry at this rate. And with that, she sighed again and stood back up on her hind legs before entering the water once more.
The tapestry to her left was most certainly not something she would ever want to see, but Larassa figured hunting down a cult meant they would decorate in this fashion. Thus, she assumed she was headed in the right direction.

Deciding to use her stealth to her advantage, Larassa continued forward and snuck up to the large room nearby. Slowly, she leaned through the room's entrance to perceive what was inside.

Interactions: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 (Roll Checks)
Mentions: dr xenon dr xenon (Hafdan), Idea Idea (Inula), Epiphany Epiphany (Chise)
Nearby: N/A

Grond looks over at Hafdan and shrugs. "We can split up, but who is going with whom? We should try to split our heavy fighters to make sure that if there is trouble along one path, that group is not overwhelmed."

Lioness075 Lioness075

Looking into the room, the first thing that caught your attention was the smell, overpowering even the stench of the sewage you were wading through at the time. It was immediately hard to mistake. It was the smell of decay, of something that had been dead for at least a couple days. Three wooden beams braced the ceiling of this flooded chamber, which featured a stone altar covered with various bits of human remains in the northeast corner. Hanging on the wall above the altar was a three-foot-tall steel mask cast in the form of a frowning human skull. Floating in the middle of the room was a human corpse, badly maimed and bloated.

d7.PNG

There was only one other exit from the room, but a quick look showed the passage was collapsed.​

• fe1fc8bc635f1d4c8cb5daead7293397.png
    N i m a
    Water Genasi - Level 2 Cleric - AC 19 - HP 21/21 - Walk 30 ft - Swim 30 ft
    STR 15 (+2) DEX 8 (-1) CON 18 (+4) INT 13 (+1) WIS* 19 (+4) CHA *11 (+0)

Nima had been waiting near the entrance to the bathhouse for a time now, making sure that no overly suspicious folk left the building without anyone noticing. The place had started to run pretty empty now though, and as silence started to fill the room, she gave a soft sigh. Eventually, she did make her way to where the rest of the party was. If they got themselves killed somehow, she would share some of the responsibility for that, and that's a thing she couldn't have.

When finally reaching most of the group, Nima kept a blank expression while taking in the situation. It became pretty clear that they were thinking of splitting up. Maybe not the best idea in case of an ambush, but it would certainly get things done faster. "I'll take go straight ahead, half of you stick with me, if we haven't seen each other again in ten minutes, we meet back here to report."

With that, the heavily armored Genasi held her shield in her left hand and kept her mace in the right, sighing softly as she made her way forward.

Updates Rolls
    Perception for interesting shit or whatever: 14 + 6 = 20
    Other actions

none

Ellya Ellya Idea Idea dr xenon dr xenon Epiphany Epiphany Dethrix Dethrix D. Rex D. Rex Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie

Pretty much the moment Nima opened and stepped through the southern door, it became abundantly clear to her that the six bodies on the floor weren't dead. In fact, they were doing a frankly piss-poor job of playing dead. They all leapt to their feet at once in this dimly lit chamber, shouting a warcry and wielding flails that more amounted to skulls than proper weapons. Their ragged robes covered thin, rather physically unimpressive frames. Dark, necrotic energy cracked through their hands, dancing across gnarled fingernails like black bolts of lightning.

necromite.jpeg

Still, Nima was hardly taken off guard, even if she'd only noticed the fact that they were seemingly still alive mere moments before. As such, it seemed despite the planned ambush the party had these cultists on the back foot.

((Round 1, group initiative goes to the party.))

d10.PNG

The cultists are occupying the bottom six spaces, and are arranged so that 1 is in the front left, going left to right.

Necromite of Myrkhul 1
AC 11
HP 13

Necromite of Myrkhul 2
AC 11
HP 13

Necromite of Myrkhul 3
AC 11
HP 13

Necromite of Myrkhul 4
AC 11
HP 13

Necromite of Myrkhul 5
AC 11
HP 13

Necromite of Myrkhul 6
AC 11
HP 13

Last edited:
With the sudden appearance of the cultists, Grond is once more in his element. He raises up his sword and moves into the fray, swinging at the first of the enemy. His heavy sword cuts deep, felling the first of the cultists with a single blow.

Hit an AC of 11, doing 13 points of damage
Hit Points: 24
Second Wind: 1d10+2 [ ]
Action Surge: [ ]
Hit Dice: 2d10

Initiative: +1
Speed: 30
Passive Perception: 14

Armor Class: 16

Weapons and Armor
Crossbow, Light - +3, 1d8+1 damage, Rng 80ft/320ft

Greatsword - +6, 2d6+4 damage, Slashing, Heavy, Two Handed
--Great Weapon Fighting allows one reroll of 1's and 2's on the damage dice

Breath Weapon (2d6 Lightning, 5 by 30 ft line, Dex Save DC 14) Racial Ability

Chain Mail - +6 to AC, Stealth Disadvantage

Last edited:
With her rapier in hand, Axtis darts out from behind Grond and stabs out with her blade at cultist number 2, and with her sneak attack, she is able to kill her target by running him through.
Hit Points: 19

Passive Perception: 11

Armor Class: 15

Weapons and Armor
Dagger x2 - Main hand +6, 1d4+4 Piercing, Finesse, Light
Ranged +6, 1d4+4 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Rng 20ft/60ft

Rapier - Main Hand +6, 1d8+4 Piercing, Finesse

Shortbow - +6, 1d6+4 Rng 80ft/320ft, Piercing, Two Handed

Sneak Attack Bonus: +1d6

• fe1fc8bc635f1d4c8cb5daead7293397.png
    N i m a
    Water Genasi - Level 2 Cleric - AC 19 - HP 21/21 - Walk 30 ft - Swim 30 ft
    STR 15 (+2) DEX 8 (-1) CON 18 (+4) INT 13 (+1) WIS* 19 (+4) CHA *11 (+0)

Nima tightened the grip around her mace and took a breath, grinding her teeth before charging in quickly, shield forward and moving in to smack on the cultists with her mace. For a moment, she thought about just beating or intimidating them into submission, but a quick glance at their faces revealed plenty for the very insightful Genasi. These were pawns, just husks with nothing going on in their life except their devotion to the cult. No one would miss these people, but still she wouldn't willingly murder them.

The cleric charged in through the first line of defense, going straight for #5 and smacking him with her mace.

Updates Rolls
    Insight to see if these dudes have any life besides this: 25
    Mace attack: 16
    Mace damage: 4 on cultist #5
    Other actions
    none

• Inula Mallian
    Lvl 2 Dogfolk Bard

While the rest of us were still discussing how we ought to split our group, Axtis went ahead to investigate one of the passages that might be locked, my eyes glued on them unsure what would happen (though I still stuck to the group at large, not accompanying the tiefling). Come to think of it, after glancing around a bit and even sniffing in my search (a decision I regretted immediately upon receiving the aggressive reminder that we were in a sewer in my nostrils), I noticed Larassa seemed to be nowhere to be found either, had they maybe gone to a different place? Discussions continued, everyone mostly in agreement on the fact we should split at least, and Grond giving a suggestion to distribute our strength. Finally, the genasi arrived as well, and they immediately took to investigating a different passage ahead. As before, my eyes were glued on them, unsure what kind of things might await us down here. Sure enough, this time was different, and a whole group in rags and scrawny bodies attempted to ambush us.

Despite the feeble appearance of the cultists, however, something was quickly brought to my attention: Some dark, necrotic power that seemed to almost dance around their fingers with occasional spikes or sparks of power, bursting like an overfilled balloon. Could it be, warlock magic? The skulls they wielded seem remarkably close to flails....and it would make sense for cultists to obtain power from some evil being they worshipped. However, the magic they wielded was arcane in nature. Warlocks often wielded arcane magic as well, but I couldn't shake the suspicion these cultists were wizards of some kind.

If so, they were likely to be using necromantic magic, perhaps strong enough that they could revive some corpse. What else did I know about necromantic magic? Uhm....

"They seem to be applying arcane magic for some necrotic effect. If they are anything like the necromancers I was told about, they could drain your life to restore their own, and if there any corpses nearby its possible they could one, maybe a couple of undead each." I explained.

I had to wonder what led them down this path. Had they studied at the academy? Were they also desperate to obtain power, to be remarkable, to finally obtain that recognition, from teachers, friends, crushes...family? I found myself clenching a hand on the handle of my rapier. Ah, they reminded me an awful lot of a certain trio from way back then. That was another thing I had to wonder, had they gone on to change their ways, or would they one day just become what these people were? Could any of them ever take it back? Could these people?

Either way, I knew two things: If possible, I didn't want to use magic to defeat them. I hope they could live to see the error of their ways, and how could they do that if they believed they only lost because the other side had even stronger magic on their side? Second, we should probably focus on taking them out of the fight one by one, since otherwise they might be able to recover using their necromancy.

Grond and Axtis had unfortunately already killed two of them, and the genasi was hitting another. I rushed to her side as fast as I could, and drew my rapier, aiming to stab through the cultist's right hand and arm. If I could remove one of their hands from moving, I could disable some of their spells, not to mention make them drop whatever the skull thing was supposed to be.

Spells
*Guidance
*Mending

*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep
*Unseen Servant [Ritual]

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
146 CP

Carrying:
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer

Skills
Saving Throws:

Skills:

Passives

-Arcane Check to see if she could learn anything from the necrotic energies (rolled 11 total)
-Movement towards Nima's side
-Attacking cultist 5 with rapier

Interacting With: Ellya Ellya Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood dr xenon dr xenon Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide D. Rex D. Rex Dethrix Dethrix Epiphany Epiphany

Mentions: Lioness075 Lioness075

Tialaas Kalot

Wood Half-Elf

Level 2 Blood Hunter

AC 15

HP 12/18

Walk 35 ft.

BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 Epiphany Epiphany Ellya Ellya

STR 16 (+3) DEX 16 (+3) CON 13 (+1) INT 19 (+4) WIS 11 (+0) CHA 10 (+0)
When the impression popped open to reveal a Halfling woman on the other side of it, Tialaas’s eyebrows arched upwards in surprise but he gave no reaction otherwise. His hand instinctively twitched as he thought to draw a weapon on the newcomer, seeing as she had entered directly from the dungeon full of cultists. But for whatever reason, the rest of the party seemed to take her story at face value. As if anyone who simply said Zodge’s name was exonerated.
With a sigh, he followed with the others as they descended into the shrouded rank depths of the hidden space. While they waded into water, he quickly drew his bow and nocked an arrow as he scanned the area for potential threats. Besides a cat in thorough need of cleansing, nothing seemed to be amiss.
Upon entering the diamond room with the various doorways, Tialaas scowled at the various depictions of the Dead Gods. When the Dwarf spoke, his frown deepened in disagreement. In virtually every bard tale that had been sung, adventurers had died to such an idea. Before he could even speak, the animalistic girl voiced his very concerns herself, to which the Half-Elf nodded in agreement. Quickly the group began to discuss splitting up anyways, to which Tialaas rolled his eyes.
Nima’s decision to direct a portion of their party only made his exasperation grow, and after she barged into the room to reveal several sets of bodies, he prepared himself to take action. To this end, he removed one of his brown leather gloves and readied his bow for a precise strike. Sure enough, the robed figures lept to their feet and battle ensued. Recognizing the threat the figures posed, Tialaas slid his palm down the razor-thin wire of his bow, transmuting his blood into glowing runes of powerful magic that immediately engulfed his weapon in arcane lightning. The pain was brief, but the blood loss cost him health that he was already low on.
With a calm breath, he watched the conflict carefully and weighed where his assistance would have the most efficiency. Without entering the room, he waited until an opportunity presented itself before releasing a sparking arrow towards the enemy Nima had attacked. Unlike the others, she hadn’t been able to fell her target. A well-placed arrow through the eye dealt with the issue, with an audible crack of surging electricity being heard as it fried the cultist’s brain.

c o d e b y t r i p l e s
When the impression popped open to reveal a Halfling woman on the other side of it, Tialaas’s eyebrows arched upwards in surprise but he gave no reaction otherwise. His hand instinctively twitched as he thought to draw a weapon on the newcomer, seeing as she had entered directly from the dungeon full of cultists. But for whatever reason, the rest of the party seemed to take her story at face value. As if anyone who simply said Zodge’s name was exonerated.
With a sigh, he followed with the others as they descended into the shrouded rank depths of the hidden space. While they waded into water, he quickly drew his bow and nocked an arrow as he scanned the area for potential threats. Besides a cat in thorough need of cleansing, nothing seemed to be amiss.
Upon entering the diamond room with the various doorways, Tialaas scowled at the various depictions of the Dead Gods. When the Dwarf spoke, his frown deepened in disagreement. In virtually every bard tale that had been sung, adventurers had died to such an idea. Before he could even speak, the animalistic girl voiced his very concerns herself, to which the Half-Elf nodded in agreement. Quickly the group began to discuss splitting up anyways, to which Tialaas rolled his eyes.
Nima’s decision to direct a portion of their party only made his exasperation grow, and after she barged into the room to reveal several sets of bodies, he prepared himself to take action. To this end, he removed one of his brown leather gloves and readied his bow for a precise strike. Sure enough, the robed figures lept to their feet and battle ensued. Recognizing the threat the figures posed, Tialaas slid his palm down the razor-thin wire of his bow, transmuting his blood into glowing runes of powerful magic that immediately engulfed his weapon in arcane lightning. The pain was brief, but the blood loss cost him health that he was already low on.
With a calm breath, he watched the conflict carefully and weighed where his assistance would have the most efficiency. Without entering the room, he waited until an opportunity presented itself before releasing a sparking arrow towards the enemy Nima had attacked. Unlike the others, she hadn’t been able to fell her target. A well-placed arrow through the eye dealt with the issue, with an audible crack of surging electricity being heard as it fried the cultist’s brain.

The re was no flourish behind his moves, in a single fluid movement, Fallen Dragon pulled the staff from his back, took it in both hands, and thrust it at Thing 6. Given that it was going towards Nima,he wasn't going to let it overwhelm her.

His thrust was followed by twisting and delivering a snap kick to its face.

Strike 1:
Strike 2:

Damage 1:
Damage 2:

Leandra.jpg
Equipment: Shortbow & Arrows (19/20), Shortsword, 2x Daggers, Leather Armor (AC 16)

Almost immediately after poking her head into the room, Larassa gagged and felt immense regret welling up inside. Her eyes began to tear up and she gasped, as she struggled to keep her breakfast contained. Even on the go, that breakfast was better than most she had ever had before. She was not about to relinquish the breakfast over some dead bodies. This was not her first rodeo.

Steeling herself, Larassa narrowed her eyes and skimmed over the room. It was about as dank and disturbing as she had expected.
As curious as she was about the messed-up altar, Larassa saw the floating body and tensed. Fishing out some ball bearings from one of her pouches, Larassa tossed them near the body and watched as they splashed into the water around it.

Hunching over in the water to try and somewhat lessen her size, Larassa readied her bow with a nocked arrow in case the body reacted. She knew better than to charge into any situation recklessly.

Action: Shortbow attack readied in case floating body makes any moves besides floating motionlessly in the water
Interaction: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2

Hafdan charsheet
Passives:

Rushing into the fray Hafdan swings his battleaxe at the nearest suspected cultist that's both still alive, and doesn't open him up to an attack of opportunity from someone else. His axe bites deeply into the cultist but does not drop them. he shifts his shield to intercede if any of the surviving cultists he can see move to attack his companions.

"Fighting Style: Protection While wielding a shield and a creature you can see attacks a target other than you within 5 ft., you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll."

Lioness075 Lioness075

The ball bearings splashed into the water near the corpse, sending ripples throughout the filth. A few seconds of silence passed as the body shifted slightly with the movement of the water, but there was no sign of it stirring. Watching it for those moments made it abundantly clear whoever this was, he was the primary source of the smell within the room. Without flipping him onto his back, it would be very difficult to ascertain whether what was on the altar came from him, however. Back in the hallway behind you, you heard what sounded like the not-too-distant sounds of a fight starting. For someone less swift than you, arriving in time wouldn't be feasible, but your feline speed would make quick work of it if you so chose.

((You can reach the combat fairly easily using your racial to double speed, move and use a bonus action to dash, if you want to participate in the likely very brief second round.))

Ellya Ellya Idea Idea dr xenon dr xenon Epiphany Epiphany Dethrix Dethrix D. Rex D. Rex Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie

As all Hells broke loose in this fairly tight space, for all their fanatical devotion, the cultists clearly weren't prepared for this level of force being levied against them. As Grond stepped in, greatsword in hand and sweeping wide, it caught one of the foremost cultists in the collarbone. Gravity carried it through until the heavy blade caught on one of the man's lower ribs, but nearly cut in half was still very dead. Panicked shouting erupted from the Necromites, who scrambled to defend themselves in desperation. It was less fear than surprise, however; there was no intention to flee in their faces. Axtis was similarly successful, her long-bladed rapier easily finding the heart of another cultist. Where the first cultist at least let out a surprised gasp, this one fell without so much as the slightest sound.

Nima and Inula's target was somewhat less fortunate. Nima's mace struck him about the head, his eyes crossing momentarily. Just as he started to recover from that, Inula's sword pierced his hand, drawing forth an unearthly shriek of pain from the man. His flail clattered to the floor as he clutched the wound, fear momentarily entering his eyes for the first time as he looked at the pair. A mere instant later, an arrow crackling with electricity slammed into his head. If the man had the space, the force might have made him do a flip. As it stands, his head slammed into the wall behind him with a resounding cracking sound. The man writhed for a few seconds from the Crimson Rite's lightning before falling still.

Fallen Dragon's victim fared a little better, on the side of mercy. The staff struck him in the chest, and Dragon could feel the man's ribs crack through his staff. The Necromite stumbled backwards, a pained snarl marring his already filthy visage. His hand came up, that same necrotic energy dancing across his palm. Before he could follow through, Dragon's kick struck him in the jaw. The man's head twisted violently with a snap. Eyes frozen wide open, the man collapsed to the ground, a loud thud the only noise he made. Hafdan's opponent, meanwhile, reeled as the dwarf's axe left a bloody gash across his chest. Barely still standing, he spat blood onto the floor. Looking to his one remaining comrade, the pair nodded to each other, then raised their hands.

Ghastly claws made of necrotic energy fired from their outstretched palms at the most vulnerable targets nearest to them (Axtis and Inula respectively); it seemed they were going to try to take someone down if they were going to die. Axtis managed to leap to the side, the claws leaving scratchmarks on the wall behind her. Inula was less fortunate. The claws gripped her by the shoulders like a vice, the cold energy pulsing into her chest ((8 damage)). Momentarily, it released her, leaving a sensation almost like being seriously ill in the young girl.

((Top of round 2 to you guys. If they are still alive to take a turn, I will be impressed.))

View attachment 803634

The cultists are occupying the bottom six spaces, and are arranged so that 1 is in the front left, going left to right.

Necromite of Myrkhul 1
DEAD

Necromite of Myrkhul 2
DEAD

Necromite of Myrkhul 3
AC 11
HP 4, Engaged with Axtis, Hafdan and Nima

Necromite of Myrkhul 4
AC 11
HP 13 Engaged with Nima, Hafdan and Inula

Necromite of Myrkhul 5
DEAD

Necromite of Myrkhul 6
DEAD

Last edited:
Axtis does not take well to the one that tried to cast a spell on her, so she turns her rapier on him.
Hit Points: 19

Passive Perception: 11

Armor Class: 15

Weapons and Armor
Dagger x2 - Main hand +6, 1d4+4 Piercing, Finesse, Light
Ranged +6, 1d4+4 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Rng 20ft/60ft

Rapier - Main Hand +6, 1d8+4 Piercing, Finesse

Shortbow - +6, 1d6+4 Rng 80ft/320ft, Piercing, Two Handed

Sneak Attack Bonus: +1d6

Hafdan charsheet
Passives:

"Alright then!" Hafdan exclaims as he swings again. "Let's finish this off!"

Axtis's rapier found easy purchase in the throat of the Necromite that tried to attack her. Gurgling, he collapsed. Moments passed before he went still, never to move again. Across the room, Hafdan's axe hit his mark on the arm with so much force that not only did it sever the limb, it passed almost entirely through the man's torso. The shock pretty much immediately knocked the cultist out cold, and he was likely dead in seconds. With that, a certain stillness settled into the room. The quest drip of water once more became the only sound, replacing the panicked shouting and clashing of steel on metal that had filled the hallway for those few seconds.

Further examination revealed little of value on their person or in that first room. Now that calm had returned, the room was really rather plain. Its dimly lit neighbor, looking down the stairs, seemed to be a dead end. The room was partially collapsed with a sarcophagus in its center.​

Last edited:

Hafdan charsheet
Passives:

Lifting up the heads of each of the dead acolytes Hafdan tries to see if any of them look like they might be a noble's son. He also gives them a Crimson Fist frisking looking for any valuables.

Leandra.jpg

Larassa flinched when her ball bearings hit the water and sank. The body moved in tandem with the water's movements, but nothing out of the ordinary for a floating body. Her eyes scanned the room again, trying to sight anything springing an ambush, but nothing else happened.

Behind her, Larassa could hear fighting in the distance. Her ears flicked back while her eyes stayed forward. She held her position a moment longer and her right ear twitched a few times while she listened to the combat conclude. Whatever had happened back there had concluded as quickly as it had started.

Ears forward once more, Larassa crept into the room and made her way over to the body. Unsheathing a dagger, she slowly flipped the body over with the tip of the dagger and then jumped back, as best as she could in the water. She grimaced at the sight of the mangled corpse and her eyes flitted over to the altar. The connection clicked in her mind, even as she felt bile rise in her throat.

Closing her eyes for a moment, Larassa steeled herself and swallowed. Now was not the time. She had to stay focused.

Opening her eyes, Larassa left the body floating in the water and moved towards the altar. She unsheathed her second dagger and held each tightly. She had no clear understanding of exactly what she was seeing here. She could barely remember what their task was, given she had yet to see any cultist. The décor and scent of death emanating from this underground place was enough to tell her they were in the right place. Yet, besides what little she heard unfold from the main group, there still seemed to be something missing. She just could not place it.

Looking over the altar, Larassa began to carefully poke and prod all over. She wanted to check for traps, but she also was hoping she may find something that may stand out, maybe a hidden switch or a hidden compartment.
This close to the altar, it was all she could do to keep her breakfast down, but Larassa did her best to simply focus on the task at hand instead. If she could not find anything on or near the altar itself, she would even use one of her daggers to move around the bits on the altar itself to see what was going on there.

Actions: Investigation
Interactions: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2
Mentions: N/A
Nearby: N/A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back