• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
keep your weapons sheathed in my tavern and I'm sure you can stay as long as you'd like
Shemlech looks a little apprehensively at his 6-foot long poleaxe, before picking up his mug of mead and preparing to head upstairs with the group.

"To put it bluntly, I am a Slave. Or at least, I have been one since I could remember. I labored in a Coliseum for most of my life, my caretaker was another slave whom worked the smithy. He was a good man. Though being a Slave I was taught many things to live by. A set of rules to be exact by the one who owned me, I am not allowed to own possessions unless given to me by another. I am not allowed to own money, or use it to purchase anything. I am a slave, not a free man.. When the Order took me in, I simply believed it that my services as a Slave were needed elsewhere. Now I am here, serving you all and Captain Zodge. I don't mind my life, it is a fair and uncomplicated one. To serve others is and has simply been what I do. Within reason, of course."
Sasha feels her heart break a bit when Gill reveals his background to them. As they rise from the table, she walks around to him and gives the large man a quick hug. "I cannot even begin to wrap my head around the life you have lived as a slave, but remember that now, you are a free man, not a piece of property to anyone. I will help you in any way that I can to get you over your past and to be able to look on the future in a whole new light. Now, lets go meet this information source."

"Thank you, darling," Sylbella let out in her usual echoing voice as Alan shared what he knew, not really adding to what she had already gathered from the woman. Nevertheless, she returned the offered nod with a slight bow of her head before excusing herself from his presence and heading back towards the group, the wine glass in her hand.

"According to our humble bartender, Tarina is upstairs. I reckon it is best if we do not engage in games of chance with her." She informed the group. Whether they already knew such a thing or not she had no way of knowing so at least now they all knew. It was impossible to miss the hug Sasha gave Gill but Sylbella didn't comment on it. She managed to pick up the last bits of what the woman said and it was enough to give her a snapshot of Gill's past. She wouldn't pry though... especially about the past. "If everyone is okay with it, we should head upstairs."

Assuming everyone was okay with it, Sylbella would then make her way towards the stairs and up, bringing her wine glass along with her.

Bright's expression softens as Gill talks, though she doesn't trust herself to choose the right words. She nods at Sasha's encouragement, and her gaze lingers a little on Gill. She resolves to help him where she can, help him find the new start and freedom she's been lucky enough to achieve. Sky confirms that Tarina is upstairs, which is a reassurance, and so Bright goes to head up along with the others. "Of course. I hope her information is more trustworthy than her gambling."

Lit lanters hang from the rafters in the windowless room as you head up the stairs. Rugs cover the wooden floor and help dampen the noise from drunken patrons gathered around two large tables, eating and playing games of Baldur's Bones.

There are about 8 people sitting at the long tables, a mixture of different races and such who are deeply invested in their games. However, one potentially stands out as the person you are looking for. A human woman with a blue bandana covering light brown hair. Wearing a corset type garment over a ragged white shirt and some simple brown trousers. The high leather boots which look muddy and well worn are perched ankles crossed on the table as she takes a swig from a tankard, devious grin covering her features.

"Tough luck gents, want another shot? Try your luck?"
Each of the men give a shake of their heads, going back to their drinks and muttering to themselves with sour expressions on their faces. The human woman gives a snort, and turns to the tavern proper.
"Any others want to take a shot at some Baldur's Bones and beat my winning streak? I'm willing to bet 5gp that you can't!" She laughs loudly, and takes another deep swig of her tankard, scanning the room.

Last edited:
The hug was what surprised Gill the most, the young man had never experienced kindness in such a form. The best way for Gill to repay that kindness was a smile to Sasha. Though his innermost thoughts conflicted with Sasha's statement. A free man? Gill? No, not possible. Gill Ravencrest was simply an Amateur Gladiator turned Paladin, by a stroke of dumb luck. His life was made to serve other people. Knew what his own life was worth compared to others, and before him was a group of people whom all had lives worth living far more important than his own. It struck him as odd, what Sasha said at the end though..

"I will help you in any way that I can to get you over your past and to be able to look on the future in a whole new light."
Whatever could Sasha mean by such a phrase? Was his life as a Slave really that terrible to those who have tasted freedom? Sure, he didn't have an easy life. But there was shelter, food, clothing, work, even a chance to prove yourself at becoming a legendary Gladiator, a master of entertainment to an audience! Gill could have gone pro if his life hadn't taken that quick turn to becoming a Paladin. When Gill examined the party around him, he observed each of their gaze for but a second, and it felt weird to Gill. Like everyone spoke with their eyes in that moment. Gill reached for his money pouch, placing it back to his waist within his cloak..

"It is very kind of you, Sasha. I am happy to protect all of you no matter the circumstances of your beginnings." Gill said to each person of the team. Feeling that was an appropriate response to such kindness he had been shown.
With that, Gill followed behind everyone yet again to go upstairs, keeping his self-imposed position of caboose to the party during social interactions. There was a very confident woman speaking loudly about some sort of game Gill had never heard of, or played. She was willing to bet 5 gold pieces about her winning streak as well. She certainly was an imposing woman, wasn't she?

"If she is so sure of her winning streak, why does she not raise her wager?" Gill asked his party in a hushed tone. "Does anyone know how to play this Baldur's Bones? I believe I have never touched such a game before."​

It wasn't hard to notice Tarina in the middle of everyone else. The woman certainly stood out and, as it seemed, actually made an effort to stand out. From the first look alone, Sylbella couldn't help but notice how different she was from the female human in question, appearance-wise in terms of clothing choice, and behaviour-wise. Nevertheless, so far Tarina fit the description they had been given and Sylbella didn't have the habit of judging others based on first impressions.

"I am afraid I do not, unfortunately," Sylbella replied quietly to Gil's question. Even if she spoke quietly, her voice still had that faint echo to it, this time much softer given her speaking volume. "As for the wager amount, I would reckon she is trying to attract more people. A large amount could scare away hesitant players." Merely a guess on her part, she had zero experience with swindlers even if she was used to a different type of social play. "Regardless, I believe now is a proper time for us to approach her. Does anyone want to accompany me?"

All of them walking up to Tarina might be as good as it is bad. A large party might make it seem they are pressuring her and they were given specific indications to not offend this woman or fall into her bad graces. Assuming someone from the party agreed to walk with her, Sylbella would then make her way toward Tarina. The rugs covering the wooden floor deprived the room of her heels clicking against the wooden floor.

"Excuse me?" Sylbella let out gracefully and respectfully, holding her glass of wine in her hand still as she tried to grab Tarina's focus. "Are you Tarina?" The question felt rather rhetorical. "My companions and I would like a minute of your time if the moment suits you. We were sent here on behalf of Captain Zodge."

Tarina's confident smirk stuck to her face as Sylbella approached.

"Yeah, that's me." Before frowning at the next sentence.

"Old Zodge sent you? What does he want?" She didn't seem to keen to continue the conversation, but she sat back down in her chair, grabbing the tankard of that sat beside her. She shoved her legs up onto the table, crossing her ankles as she did so, leaning back in her chair.

"I should have known with a bunch of Fists such as yourself it wasn't to play a game. Shame."

The more time she spent with the woman, the clearer it became that the two of them had very different ways of just being, quite opposite in fact. Nevertheless, the woman had yet to offend any of them and if Sylbella took it personally everyone she met someone different than her then she'd have a quarrel with everyone.

"Captain Zodge indeed sent us. May I sit with you, Tarina?" The elegant voice echoed around her as Sylbella set her hand on one of the free chairs, her other hand still holding her glass of wine.

Sylbella would then wait for Tarina's answer and, depending on it, sit down on the chair or remain standing.

If she sat down, she'd take a soft sip of her drink before continuing, her blue eyes focused on Tarina as she looked toward the woman over her own glass.

"Captain Zodge sent us to find you in the hopes you may have some information that could assist us on shedding some light regarding the recent killings." She paused for just a moment, examining Tarina's features and reactions. "Do you have any knowledge about them or about the Dead Three?"

Axtis does her best to stay out of the way and keep her mouth shut, knowing that her impulsive responses might do more harm than good here. Best to let Sky do the talking and not say something silly.

Noting that Sky seems to have everything in hand with Tarina for the moment, Shemlech approaches one of the other tables playing the unfamiliar game Tarina had been playing, and watches the game for a few moments.

"Excuse me; I'm not familiar with this game. Can you explain how it works?"

"It's a free city aint it?" Tarina replied to the request to sit. Glancing over the troop, she took another swig of her tankard.

When Sylbella mentioned the Dead Three, she just rolled her eyes and put her tankard down rather forcefully.

"Zodge still trying to deal with the cultists? Thought he would have handled them by now. Showing his old age the captain. Tell you what, you help me, and I help you." Tarina took this moment to adjust her seating, feet on the ground and leaning forward in her chair.

"A've been having problems with these...bandits that seem to be lurking around. Believe that I've cheated them out of something. I heard rumours from an old mate that these thugs tracked me to the city. If you lot stay here at the Elfsong to see if these pirates show up. If they do, you kill them all and I give you the information. If you don't...well I guess you're going to have to go back to Zodge empty handed, and a can tell you from the time I've known him...he won't like that." A sly grin spreads across her face as she mentioned Zodge, and took a more careful sip of her tankard, waiting for the party to respond.

Gill turned his head towards Tarina in the moment she spoke about the bandits. Did she really cheat them out of something? Was she using them to buy her freedom from these bandits so to speak? Gill narrowed his eyes a bit, but not in anger or displeasure, but in thought. Killing a couple of people within an establishment felt wrong to Gill, perhaps outside would be a better place to do so. Or better yet, to talk to them about letting it go? Persuading them to leave Tarina alone? Gill stepped in to speak to Tarina now, giving a slight bow to her to show respect.

"Your request is heard, but do we truly have to kill them to get your information? Why not persuade them to leave you be? Or perhaps to bribe them with our own resources? I find it rude to kill people inside of an establishment where the owner doesn't like weapons to be drawn."
Gill thought for a few seconds, before looking at Tarina again.
"Miss Tarina, If I may ask you why your wager is so low? A challenge is meant to be taken with risks involved. Being raised in a Coliseum, you want your audience to really enjoy the risks and rewards of the show. You should bump your wager up to bring people who are worthy of a challenge to you. I am sorry if I offended you, but I just wished to speak my opinion so that I may make it more enjoyable for you."
Gill bowed yet again, and then moved himself to the side of Shemlech, examining the table he was near as well.

"Perhaps we both can learn how to play, right Shemlech?"​

Sasha looks over at Gill and says, "The wager she's asking to make could keep a family in food and shelter for months. Not everyone is well off enough to afford to part with that kind of coin, let alone have enough to risk wagering more."

"I am certain another solution can be found to your predicament, can it not?" Sylbella asked calmly, taking a sip of her wine, her manners the complete opposite of Tarina's.

"As my companion said, we have been told to avoid any violence within this establishment and I would very much like to keep that." Something told her that this wasn't the first time someone was coming after Tarina for her money so surely, the woman didn't necessarily need them dead.

"If we are able to convince these individuals that are coming for you to let the past remain in the past, would you still hold your end of the arrangement and share what information you may have?"

Sasha shrugs, saying "How many of these bandits are we talking about? One or two? Or a lot more than that?" She begins to look around the place up here, trying to get a feel for how awkward it would be to have a pitched battle with an unknown number of foes with unknown capabilities.

Axtis waits to hear what Tarina has to say, but somehow doubts that even if she gives them the ok to talk to these bandits, its not likely that they will be able to get the bandits to back off in any way short of bashing their skulls in. After all, it is not likely that they will be reasonable, is it? No, probably not.

”You kill them otherwise they kill you. These pirates aint ones for ‘negotiations’. Once they find out you’re with me, then it’s fight or death. I mean you can go ahead and try your sweet talk on them. But let me tell you I doubt they’ll come round. They come from all over, and when they’ve got their mind on something, they’ll do it. The leader killed their previous captain, and now are blaming me for it. Didn’t care too much for the man myself, but not enough to kill the lad.

5 gold pieces is low?! I don’t know what fancy location you come from but that’s two months wages for most hard-working folks. I aint made of money you know; it’s why I’m sitting here gambling away. You have a right attitude to come to my table and say all this. Tell Zodge I’m not interested in helping you!”

She started to get angry, slamming her tankard again on the table, eyes directly at Gill with a deep frown. When Sylbella spoke she just shrugged.
”As I said you could have tried, but I have known these guys a while now. Let me tell you, they’re the type to stab first ask questions later. Never met anyone who could persuade them once they had a job in mind. Stubborn jerks. Anyway it doesn’t matter, due to your friends rudeness I’m done. I don’t want your help, get away from my table.”

With that she went back to drinking, fiddling with the dice she had on the table, quite unhappy with the conversation.

Gill heard what Sasha had to say, and agreed with it for the most part. People do have to survive, the world could be harsh sometimes and even Gill knew that. When Tarina snapped at Gill, his smile faded with her yelling. A mistake had been made on Gill's part, and it was one he knew his team would be punished for-- Gill wanted to make it right fast. There was enough reprimanding and yelling and beatings when Gill was younger, all of this was numb to him save for the fact his teammates needed this informant. He could have very well just left afterwards, but no he pressed onward for them.

"I am sorry, Miss Tarina. My words were never meant to offend you, I was raised in a Coliseum..So all of my life I've been surrounded by those with wealth, I understand now that my judgement is skewed about other people's livelihoods. Please accept my offering here, so that we may continue to work together. I hope it is more than enough to compensate my manners. I am terribly sorry for my words.."
Short and sweet, Gill knew Tarina would care little for anything else. As he reached into his pocket he placed a pouch full of 15 gold pieces in it on the table. All the money Jerren had given to him for his journey, he could finally make use of it now as an offering of peace and friendship. Gill was no free man, but if money was important to others; he would give it to them.

Persuasion: + 3
Total: 10.

Tarina watched as he apologized, frown remaining on her face as she observed the pouch of coin being placed on the table. She lifted it, felt the weight, before taking it and pocketing it.

”Fine, you’re forgiven for the moment. Help me out, and you’ll get that information, get rid of them I mean. Dunno when they’re meant to be coming but it’s supposed to be soon. You deal with them, then I help you. Do. We. Have. A. Deal?”

She punctuated the last sentence, eyes travelling between each of the group as she did. There was no kindness or cockiness in her tone. She displayed an air of hostility, unlike before. It was pretty apparent she was not in the mood for any more refusals.

The situation seemed to resolve itself. However, if Tarina's attitude was anything to go by, the damage made wasn't wholly healed. Regardless, there was nothing to be done right now except look ahead. Neither of them could change the past, certainly not Sylbella. If she could, there was a lot she would have changed by now.

"It seems that your mind is made up on the matter." Sylbella let out softly, taking of sip of her wine as elegantly as ever. "I do not speak for the group but as far as my word goes, we have a deal. We will deal and get rid of them, just not indoors." If there was really to be violence, then Sylbella would make sure it didn't happen within the establishment.

"Since you do not know when they will come, can you share some information about this party that is coming to kill you?" Knowing exactly who it was they were looking out for would be fundamental. "Do you know how many they are and what they look like?"

Tarina looked back to Sylbella, still seeming rather unamused at the group. The jovial expression she had before had vanished, leaving a stern look.
"A mixture of humans mostly. But the one you want to focus on is the leader, Dead-Eye he's called. A strong man with a cloudy right eye. Him and his group are pretty easy to spot. There's about eight of them including Dead-Eye."

She stops talking almost instantly as a strange feeling washes over the tavern. The conversation seems to quieten down as a song is heard, a sad lamentation that fills each room of the tavern. Those with a passive perception of 15 or higher see a ghostly figure of an elf travel through the back of the room and into a wall, not caring for any of the individuals that sit in the tavern, seem to be focused on the song.

O sing a song of Elturel
Of water, woods, and hill
The sun dawns on her ruddy cliffs
And fields green and still.
This land of long-abiding joy
Home of the strong and brave
Renowned by all, across the realms,
And never once a slave.

O sing a song of Elturel
When foes are at her door
Her fields torn by cloven feet
From some infernal shore.
Arise the mighty Hellriders
Take up your swift, keen swords
Then charge into the hellish fray
And scatter devil hordes.

O sing a song of Elturel
And when the night does fall
Sleep safe beneath Companion’s light
Until the dawn does call.
We’re bound by mortal covenant
That only ends with death
And so we’ll sing of Elturel
Until our final breath.

Shemlech stops and listens to the song without seeing the singer (PP of 9, woo!).

"What a curious song", he remarks. "Who was singing? Elturel... that's the city that's fallen, isn't it? And the Hellriders mentioned too. But the song sounded... older, somehow. Wait, I want to write this down. Maybe the library will want it."

He starts scrabbling through pockets for a scrap of parchment and a quill; carefully unscrewing a small bottle of ink, he scribbles down a fair, if not quite perfect, record of the words.

Axtis gives Shemlech a gentle touch and points out the elf at the back of the room. "There. He's the one singing. At least, I think the singer is a he. It could be a woman; its hard to tell."

She then looks about at her companions and asks, "What are we going to do about these pirates? Should we try to ambush them before they come inside? It might be a bit of a problem as we only know what one of them looks like, this Dead-Eye fellow, with his one bad eye."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back