• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Nonialba

An archivist documenting all things
jnifm-01-03.jpg

Chapter 1: A Tale of Two Cities

• qOQHXILwHf3SrAMHJz9XpmqlyvWWE3UOx0q1w68iths.jpg

Welcome to Baldur’s Gate, a veritable nest of rats and vipers clinging to the rocky slopes overlooking the Chionthar River. From their high perches in the Upper City, the local nobles — known as patriars — gaze down with veiled contempt upon the common rabble in the grimy Lower City, which hugs the foggy harbour. The whole of Baldur’s Gate reeks of blood, crime, and opportunity. One can easily fathom why pirates and traders are drawn to this place like flies to a carcass.

Following the river farther east would eventually lead you to Elturel, capital of the holy land of Elturgard — or at least that was the case until a few days ago. The flood of refugees from Elturel has gotten worse since the news first arrived that the city has fallen. Everyone is saying Baldur’s Gate is next, but no one truly knows who or what has claimed Elturel.

The patriars pay a mercenary army called the Flaming Fist to protect their interests in Baldur’s Gate, and by extension, the city itself. The Flaming Fist has gained even more power since their charismatic leader, Ulder Ravengard, claimed the title of Grand Duke a few years ago. Apparently, Ravengard is missing. In his absence, the Flaming Fist has sealed the city’s gates to staunch the flow of refugees. No one is allowed in or out.

All of this was brought to your attention shortly after you were drafted by the Flaming Fist to help defend the city. Your orders are to speak to Captain Zodge at the Basilisk Gate, which pierces the city’s eastern wall and takes its name from the various statues that rest in its niches and perch atop its battlements. Unseen beyond the sealed Basilisk Gate, a dirt road stretches through the Outer City slums to the bridge known as Wyrm’s Crossing, then to distant realms beyond.

sbxtc-01-02.png
    ---

Dozens of Flaming Fist soldiers are trying to control an angry mob of commoners eager to leave the city. Armed with only a vague description of Captain Zodge — a tall man with short greying hair and a leather eye patch — it takes you a while to find him. A fight breaks out between soldiers and commoners, and you finally spot the one-eyed captain as he wades into the fray and begins throwing punches. Just another day in the City of Blood.

---

Angry mobs can be dangerous, and Zodge is quick to take out the instigators so that the mob’s anger turns to fear quickly. No one is arrested during the fracas the characters observe, but several commoners are beaten and robbed of their money pouches after a brief skirmish with Zodge and his soldiers. Your characters would not be surprised by Zodge’s handling of the situation. Flaming Fist captains have tremendous latitude when it comes to keeping the peace in Baldur’s Gate, especially in the Lower City.
    Once the mob has been dealt with, Captain Zodge notices each of you, and approaches.

"Ah, the new recruits. I take it you are here to help with the current situation."

Please take a moment to introduce and describe your characters.

The young blonde woman introduces herself to the others as Axtis Jen, a devotee and loyal cleric of the god Ilmater. She is dressed in shining chain mail armor with a white tabard over it, the holy symbol of the good and holy Ilmater prominently displayed on her chest. To complete her wardrobe is a shield that is currently seated on her back, with a hefty mace dangling from a loop on her belt.

This is a time of much excitement for Axtis, even with all the turmoil and fear that is being experienced by the populace. Having spent her whole life in the temple in service to Ilmater has left her with little chance to get out in the world to see the sights and sounds, so on the day that she went to her high priest with a confession of having seen a vision calling her to go out and bring the world and good works of Ilmater to the people, it was a bit of a surprise.

Having arrived in the city just before the lockdown has taken place, Axtis is now looking for some way to bring a touch of peace and light to the people around her that are living in such a state of fear and confusion that they would try to fight the established city guard. When she heard that there was a general call being made for able-bodied men and women to go to the guards and help, Axtis jumped at the opportunity to be there for others and to serve.

When Captain Zodge addresses them, the perky blonde offers up a bow. "Captain. I am sure that I speak for my companions when I say that we are looking forward to being of service to you and this good city. How may we be of service to you this fine day?"

The city had changed a lot in the one-month period since Sylbella had arrived. At first, it had been like any other large city in the world, maybe a bit rougher around the edges, but in the past few days it had changed... a lot and not for the better. Ever since the news of the fall of Elturel reached Baldur's Gate more and more people, refugees, entered the city's gates. It didn't surprise her when the gates were closed and the city was placed on lockdown. No one is allowed to get in or out.

Honestly, being trapped inside the city didn't bother her that much. She had nowhere else to be until her job in the city was completed. Sylbella had been in the city for a month, waiting for her... employer to give her the details of what she was to do in the city. Days turned into weeks and weeks into a month, up until the moment she found herself offering her help mercenary army called the Flaming Fist. What little funds she had before she arrived were running dangerously low and it didn't seem that she'd be getting her job details any time soon so she had to make do with what she had.

The fight had ended almost as quickly as it had started, the troops under Captain Zodge making quick work of the crowd with a somewhat "hands-on" approach that Sylbella didn't know how it made her feel. She didn't comment on it though, she knew when to speak up and how to speak up. Criticising the Captain's approach was probably not a good way to introduce herself now that she was joining the mercenary army. In fact, anyone looking at her wouldn't picture her as someone who'd join one to being with...

Sylbella was a tall Air Genasi female, easily reaching 5'8. Like most Air Genasi her skin had a light blue tone to it while her body was covered in various odd and abstract white patterns, the most noticeable one probably the one on her face that started on both of her cheeks and went around the eyes to join in the centre of her forehead before coming down the middle and stopping right above her nose. The top of her head was covered in an elegant, long, waist-length, very well-kept mane of straight hair, her strands running down like a waterfall past her shoulders. Somehow, even without a breeze or wind, her hair seemed to dance and shift like there was one, a captivating sight no doubt for anyone not used to seeing her. Sylbella's eyes, while still light blue, had a slightly darker colour to them than her skin, her long and pointy ears also displaying an elven heritage.

She seemed to carry herself very properly, very elegantly, a posture not unlike a noblewoman or someone of high birth. Completing this was the fact she was wearing a dark, black and purplish dress. She definitely seemed out of place in a situation like this. The clothes, however, while very beautifully crafted and themselves very elegant were not made of expensive materials. The dress hugged her form tightly, just enough to showcase her figure without restricting her movements, the skirt splitting at the sides and, thus, revealing her thighs and sides of her legs. The dress seemed to be held by the beautiful necklace that she had around her neck, parting slightly in the chest area to reveal a bit of cleavage. She completed her assemble with a pair of comfortable yet elegant dark heels, these giving her an extra two or three inches in height, and with a staff which was hard to tell if it was purely decoration or had an arcane element to it.

"You are indeed correct, Captain." Sylbella let out calmly, giving the man a respectful bow of her head. The Air Genasi's voice seemed to match her appearance perfectly, it being very soft and composed, elegant too. There was a faint echo to each of her words too, causing her voice to linger in the air for a few more moments. "The situation here seems to have calmed down so what is it that is required of us, sir?" Sylbella didn't know any of the other people nearby, the blonde, heavily armoured woman included, so she didn't feel right about letting someone else speak for her.

Having grown up here while looking down from the Upper City, Sasha has a general knowledge of her way around the city. At least, she had years ago, before going on the run from her home and family to try and get away from the boorish ass that her parents wanted her to marry. Who cared how much money and his fancy titles he had? Certainly not Sasha. Not wanting to let that happen, Sasha decided to grab a few valuables and go on the run, finally ending up at the monastery where she learned to live a more simple life as opposed to the existence of luxury she was used to.

Spending years at the religious retreat, Sasha grew up from being the spoiled teenager to a competent young woman. After all this time, she suspected that the family had probably stopped looking for her, and even if they were still on the lookout, she had grown up and changed so much, she was hardly recognizable to anyone that might try to put two and two together and tell that she was the missing girl from the Almar family.

Sasha raises up an eyebrow at the actions of this Captain, being a very hands on kind of fellow in dealing with the rioting refugees, but like Sylbella, she decides not to say anything about it to their new employer. Glancing over at her other companions, she starts to wonder just what she was getting into with them. Shifting her spear from hand to hand, the otherwise unarmed and unarmored woman offers up a polite bow to Captain Zodge. She says, "Greetings to you, Captain. I am Sasha. How can we be of service to you and the city?"

Bright is a tall tiefling woman with red-orange skin, given a little extra height by a pair of heeled boots. She wears a dark red robe, through which armor like dragon scales could be seen, and the hood pulled up over head leaves just enough room for the pair of tall, curving horns that extend from her forehead. On her back, a pair of rust-colored wings sit half-folded, and a reptilian tail curls around her ankles. There’s an air of quiet self-assurance to the way she holds herself.

An air that is entirely manufactured. She’s had practice at it, but it’s still a constant effort to keep the act up, an endless mantra of maintain eye contact, tilt your head up, resist the impulse to fidget. Pretend you have a right to be here. Pretend you're not about to burst with anxiety and unease.

She doesn’t approve of what she’d seen the Flaming Fist do here, not by any means. Even if she agreed with the goal of order by any means necessary - which she doesn’t - she fails to see how beating and robbing commoners would help. These are people whose worst crime is wanting to escape a dangerous situation, up against an army of mercenaries with almost no limits on their actions. And Captain Zodge’s inquiry seems more like a smug way of pointing out their lateness than an honest question. As the others reply, she finds herself taking a liking to the tall air genasi, the only one to openly remark on what everyone must have noticed.

The tiefling takes a slow breath as she carefully contemplates her words. This is her first impression with the Captain, and she knows how much that can matter for a facade like hers. She wants to speak up, to not lose sight of her own morals. But she also doesn’t want to spark a confrontation. She’s all too aware she doesn't have the power to back up her attitude. So she keeps it simple.

“We were merely instructed to report to you. Your soldiers seem to have… dealt quite thoroughly with this situation.” Her tone was flat, and her words might almost have passed as a statement of fact if it wasn’t for the meaningful pause and the way her gaze stays unflinchingly on the Captain.

Shemlech takes a long, steadying breath to calm himself before stepping forward. At well over 6 foot tall, the Dragonborn should have been an imposing sight, but he seems uncomfortable with his frame and somehow smaller as a result; although the crowd still moves out of his way as he moves.

"Uh, yes. Shemlech, uh, Norixius Shemlech, I mean. You must be Captain Zodge. Nice to, um...". Shemlech seems on the point of extending his clawed hand with its dark scales, showing just a hint of shimmering gold - his heritage still just visible after generations of descent. But he realises that wouldn't be a very military gesture, and stops self-consciously, nervously gripping his halberd's staff instead. "I was told to report here," he continues, taking comfort in certainty. "To assist however you needed. I'm not sure if that was with this" indicating the halberd "or my research. I hope research, I honestly don't much like this, they only just gave it to me, and I don't know if I should have been given some armour as well, and... Um. I'm sorry, I'm not very good at this..."

He trails off, looking slightly lost.

"You must go, Ravencrest. All that we have taught you has led to this, The Order has already decided for you to attend the summons of the Flaming Fist. I put in a good word or two, as well. Because I know you are ready for this, I know...That you can do this. If anyone, you are most capable of becoming a strong and noble figure among the masses of the Lower City, and perhaps even the Upper City."
~​
Those words continued to echo within Gill's mind. The Order that had been training him for an entire year believed him ready to take on something like this? He had no inkling of where to start, or how to do anything for anyone just yet. He was very quiet, a statue that was as still as can be, and nary any emotion crept through his cheeks. He thought about a lot of things, and most of all thought about the Coliseum... It was far easier to tend to the chores in the Coliseum than it was to be a Knight of the Holy Order.
His father figure, and one of the Order's Councilmen- Jerren, had thought Gill was the perfect choice to answer the summons of the Flaming Fist. Why? Gill wondered.

Gill's apperance is that of a 6 foot tall brickhouse of a man. Crimson red hair that is usually tied up in a messy short ponytail, a few locks of hair dangling in front of his face. Piercing blue eyes, almost like a blizzard caught within the color of them. His gentle face seemed more appropriate for a noble or flirtatious bard than a hardened knight. A clean-cut scar etches across the bridge of Gill's nose. Another placed on his chin. More definitely would be seen on his upper body considering his Coliseum fights with raging animals always seemed to give him a new gift every fight. In his defense, he tried very hard to keep himself from getting injured...But it wasn't always in his favour. His chainmail covered all of that up anyway. Though one thing might have stood out for the man, his crimson cloak and an emblem of a Raven on a Shield, pinned directly onto the cloak.

As the masses of angry mobs grew a couple of ways ahead of his destination, Gill finally snapped into reality when he felt a nudge against his hip. Looking down to inspect, he saw a child had been shoved to the curb unintentionally, with a large scratch against their elbow from the fall. Gill thought for a moment, before kneeling down and looking over the child. They seemed rather displaced and out of order...So, Gill thought of something rather light-hearted of himself.
Gill owned, and always wore a crimson cloak that he obtained through his short stint as an Amateur Gladiator, it was his prized possession and the only gift he cared so much for as it brought him back to times that were in his eyes-- easier times. Ripping just a piece of the crimson cloth off from the end of his cloak, he gave it to the child to bandage themselves up with. Gill offered a smile to the child, and then moved on to sift through the angry mob that was forming. Making it to his destination just in time to see Captain Zodge put to rest the flames of protest, Gill remained silent until he was spoken to directly. Gill would try to remember that Captain Zodge seemed rather a serious man.

"Ah, the new recruits. I take it you are here to help with the current situation."
Gill heard he was addressed directly by Captain Zodge, after having blanked out for just a few moments, thinking on that child he had gifted the cloth to. He wondered if they were alright.... Though he must need give an answer to Captain Zodge, first.

"Captain Zodge, Sir. Gill Ravencrest, Of the Holy Order. Reporting for duty."
Gill noticed Shemlech after he answered Captain Zodge, frowning as he thought that the Dragonborn was nervous, or perhaps riddled with the shivers. Why not try to help the fellow out? They were going to be working together, at least. Placing his hand gently on Shemlech's shoulder, he gave a soft smile to him and spoke, trying to help Shemlech regain his composure.

"The first day is always nerve-wracking, isn't it? Do not worry, you are among friends now. Or at least, I assume we all can become friends."

Captain Zodge looks over each of you. It's difficult to tell for sure what he is thinking. But, he seems to ignore individual gestures and questions. Instead, beginning to walk back to the fortified area he arrived from, waving for each of you to follow him, though he doesn't check to make sure you are doing so.

"The refugee crisis...", he starts. Before pausing, as if choosing his words carefully.
“...has stoked fears that Baldur’s Gate might suffer the same fate as Elturel, of which nothing remains but a hole in the ground... apparently."

Once he returns to the small fort, a building that is mostly run down in nature, sitting at his desk, only then does he glance over each of you. Examining you intently.

" Our grand duke, Ulder Ravengard, was visiting Elturel on a diplomatic mission when the city was destroyed. Coincidence? I think not."

The man claps his hands together at this point, giving a deep sigh before continuing.

“The knights of Elturgard call themselves Hellriders. A few of them escaped the destruction and think we’re somehow to blame for Elturel’s downfall."
His brows furrow at this, slamming his fist abruptly on the table, voice raised. Two of the Flaming Fist soldiers that were talking in a corner glanced over awkwardly and moved away. As if preparing for something...more to occur.

"What a bunch of self-righteous rabble-rousers! We’re arresting them on sight, but that’s left us shorthanded to deal with another problem. For that, I need your help.”

Zodge doesn't wait for a reply, though his voice gets...slightly quieter as he continues.

“Baldur’s Gate has long been plagued by followers of the Dead Three — the god's Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. I thought we had wiped them out, but apparently not. These purveyors of fear and death are taking advantage of the current crisis to commit murder sprees throughout the city. As my appointed deputies in this matter, you’ll have the license to kill these wretches on sight. Find their lair, and wipe it out. Eliminate anyone who gets in your way, and don’t worry about collateral damage."

There's a grin in his voice, a sadistic sort of tone as he gives them permission to handle the acolytes as they choose.

“If you do as I say, I’ll see that you each receive two hundred gold pieces in addition to my gratitude, which is worth considerably more. I assume you will be capable of at least this? Do you have any questions?"

Axtis frowns at the thought that these cult members would be free to roam about, causing mayhem and mischief wherever they go. Her own devotion to the great god Ilmater notwithstanding, she has no problem working to destroy these evil cultists wherever they may lurk, hiding in the shadows. She nods at the Captain, saying, "Quite a princely sum, sir. One that will certainly be a nice added bonus for us all. I would like as much information on their possible locations, though, before we go running amok throughout the city. That will save us all a lot of time in our search for them."

Shemlech raises a wary hand. "Uh, yes, I have a question. Are these cultists followers of all three at once, or do they cleave more to a specific one of the Dead Three? While the Three are often worshipped together, being obviously three facets of what is ultimately just one domain, often a given cadre of followers cling more strongly to one than the others. There is a credible argument that Myrkul, being a god of the dead is in fact less worrisome than, say, Bhaal with his purview of actual murder."

Sensing that Zodge is not in the mood for a theological discourse, and probably wouldn't know the answer anyway, Shemlech sheepishly lowers his hand again, mumbling, "I just thought it might make a difference."

Two hundred gold pieces?! Was Captain Zodge serious? Gill had never seen, nor even heard that much be spoken about before. Gill half thought that Captain Zodge was joking... Though perhaps the gratitude of Captain Zodge was indeed worth far more than some gold. Gill didn't carry much to his name, and he was far less money-smart. This worked in his favour though, as he rarely spent his money in the first place. He didn't like to use it, he thought only wealthy or "free" people were allowed to spend money.

No matter how long it has been since he was enslaved in the Coliseum, Gill still didn't see himself as a "free" man. His conclusion on being brought to the Order was his services just were needed elsewhere. Once, Jerren complimented...Or insulted? Gill for being "A canvas coated in white paint." Gill did not know what that meant, but if he tried hard enough he might have thought that Jerren was teasing him for something about himself.

Gill's new allies seemed to be asking questions regarding their mission, which snapped him out of his statue-like contemplation. Gill thought he should contribute to the discussion at large as well.

"Captain Zodge, Sir. Has these attacks...Have they had any sort of similarities? Such as at the same time every day? Are they close in proximity to one another? If we narrow down the potential of the next attack to a singular area we might find it easier to counter."​

Mentions: Nonialba Nonialba

Sasha looks at the other members of the group (not quite a team yet, but perhaps it will change) as they speak. She does her best to hide her smile at the cleric's comment of two hundred gold being a 'princely sum'. Perhaps for some, but there were days that papa would spend that much simply ordering clothes just to look impressive. <snort> But that was a lifetime ago, and if I am to be able to feed and house myself, having money will make that possible.

Sasha doesn't say anything; the others have already spoken up about the things she would ask about and the monk doesn't see any need to be repetitive. Instead, she calmly waits for the response to the questions from this Captain Zodge.

Captain Zodge definitely looked like a more radical leader than what Sylbella had first been expecting. The hands-on approach to dealing with the crowd had been a surprise but now he was telling them to kill, or rather, eliminate, anyone who got in their way without care for possible collateral damage. Her current commanding officer definitely wasn't making the best first impression but neither of these thoughts was reflected in Sylbella's expression. The only upside to dealing with such a man so far was the monetary reward and even then two hundred gold pieces might not be enough...

"Who has been murdered so far, Captain?" Sylbella asked calmly, each of her words echoing through thin air while her hair danced softly in an inexistent breeze. "Did you find any connections between the victims?" She followed up, never once raising her tone of voice. Truth be told, the odds of the victims being connected were slim to none, especially if they were in the presence of cultists who worship Gods of death and violence. Nevertheless, sometimes even such cults could have intentions behind otherwise seemingly unrelated strikes.

Bright listens to the Captain speak, tucking the information away in her mind. She’s heard bits and pieces, rumors about the city and Elturel and the Duke, but hearing everything laid out like this is much better. Gets a sense of the big pictures, even if she doesn’t trust the Captain’s opinions one bit.
She can, reluctantly, agree with his warning about the Dead Three. She’s sure there are some innocents, but she’s also heard about some of these murders, and it’s… not pleasant. His comment about eliminating people is upsetting, and she has to concentrate quite hard not to protest right there and then: you’re telling us to kill innocent people just for inconveniencing us? are you any different to the murderers you’re condemning? It’s a flood of outrage strong enough that she takes a few seconds just to process his next words.

Two hundred gold pieces. She glances at the others, a few of their reactions confirming what she’d heard. That was a lot. Her family wasn’t poor, but she doesn’t know if she’s ever seen that much money change hands at once. The things she could do with 200GP… she barely has time to consider the possibilities, but she knows it could change things for her significantly.

As the others begin to speak, Bright folds her arms and listens. She’s a little annoyed at the cleric girl chiming in as though she can speak for all of them, but can’t quite suppress a smile at hearing the tall dragonborn ramble about religion. A fellow scholar, it seems, and she can empathize with the pain of sharing knowledge at the wrong time. The inquiries all seem valid, though. Even the cleric's. It’s reassuring that her companions are taking more of an investigative approach, rather than the bloodbath that Captain Zodge appears to want. She considers allowing him the space to answer the previous questions, but quickly dismisses it. It irritates her to spare this man any more pleasantries than she absolutely needs to.

“How would we identify these murderers you speak of? It is highly unlikely that we will catch them in the midst of a killing spree, after all. And I doubt that… eliminating anyone we see there is the most efficient way of progressing.” More like the thought of it makes her sick to her stomach, but she knows that kind of argument won’t stand a fly’s chance against someone like Zodge. That isn’t a language he understands. She just hopes the rest of the group don’t follow in his footsteps.

Zodge glances between each of them though his eyes linger on Shemlech at his line of questioning.

"You are asking the wrong person these things. I know little based on the information provided to me. As I said, we thought we had..."
The man paused, a deep sigh displaying what could be frustration.
"...gotten rid of this problem. I do have a lead for you. If you head further into the city, to the Elfsong Tavern. Mind you, each of you be on your best behaviour."

Again, his eyes glanced over each of them, seeming to refrain from voicing any vocal judgement about the group that stood in front of him.

"Once there, you want to find a woman named Tarina. A human woman she is. She's known to work for different folks as an informant. Last I heard she was working for one guild or another. I want you to approach her, and ask what she knows about the Dead Three and the deaths. She owes me a favour, so tell her you work for me."

He adjusts his belt ever so slightly, the sound of bustling, yelling and the usual chaos getting louder again. Another disruption starting up most likely.
"And for the love of Balduran, be nice to her. Tarina has dangerous friends. Let me tell you that you don't want to be on the business end of her blade. Get to it now!"

The Captain doesn't seem to wait for further answers, taking his leave back out into the chaos, leaving the party to handle things themselves.

Axtis nods as she listens to the captain. "Yes, sir. Go to the Elfsong Tavern and speak with Tarina. I promise to be on my best behavior, so no worries there."

Once Captain Zodge leaves, the perky blonde turns to her companions. "I don't believe that I have shared my name with the rest of you yet. I am Axtis Jen, a devotee of Ilmater, whom I serve as a cleric, as you can see here." Her hand brushes over the holy symbol on her tabard and the amulet around her neck to help draw attention to them, as if they needed any help to be seen. "I have heard some of your names, but not all. Perhaps everyone could introduce themselves and let us know what talents you bring to the table. Just so we are all aware of what the rest of us can do."

Axtis smiles at everyone, showing her friendly personality to all as she patiently waits for everyone to respond.

Sasha looks at Axtis and gives her the private title of Little Miss Sunshine in her own mind, doing her best to hide her smile at her own wit. Well, at least we have a healer with us. Might come in handy if these cultists put up too strong of a fight as we put them down. With a shrug, the woman says, "Um, ok then. Well met, everyone. I am Sasha, and I have trained in the martial arts of fighting with my hands and feet." She spins her spear around in a rapid arc, showing off her talent in using such a weapon. "So, who's next?"

"Shemlech, of clan Norixius" offers the Dragonborn, diffidently. "I'm, well, I was until recently a librarian. I didn't really have anywhere to go when I... uh, left that job, and the Flaming Fist sort of pulled me right off the street because I'm tall I guess. I, uh, I do know how to use this thing" - the halberd again - "don't worry; I just would rather I didn't have to."

As Zodge leaves, Bright clicks her tongue in frustration. “Tells us to ask questions, and then refuses to answer. What a waste.” It’s mostly to herself, rather than the group, and she shakes her head as though dismissing her irritation. Her eyes flick to each member of the group as they introduce themselves. Ilmater… she doesn’t quite remember who he is,, never really was invested in religion, but from Axtis’s attitude she can probably guess. Sasha’s skill with the spear is impressive, and she gives a nod of acknowledgement. Shemlech being a librarian tracks with the little she’s seen of him so far, though the hesitation in his voice suggests something more to his story. She makes a mental note to try and find out sometime.

There’s a lull in the conversation, and she goes to speak, then hesitates. It’s an unfamiliar situation, and she has to weigh up which name to give. Best to play it safe, she decides. “I am known as Wildfire.” The line has the practised ease of a half-truth she’s told a hundred times. “The sorcerous arts are my domain.” Bright unfolds her arms in order to hold one hand up, and with a snap of her fingers a flame flares and dies on her palm. She hopes the curl of her fingers obscures the hidden switch on her bracer.
Spell cast: Prestidigitation

Elfsong Tavern.

That was what Gill heard, and all he really needed to know. Tarina was the one they seek, and so that was what Gill would do. Find the nice lady, and talk to her. He sure hoped she was nice though, the way Captain Zodge spoke, it almost sounded like she was way more of a threat than she was nice. Gill hummed gently as Captain Zodge took his leave.

He began to listen to the others, all speak about who they were and what their talents were.

Axtis was a Cleric serving Ilmater, she had wonderful blonde hair. Very much an outspoken character, Gill sure wished he could be as forthcoming and talkative. He sometimes worried he was far too silent for socializing, he could take orders well but he seemed to lack a certain kind of "attentiveness" when people spoke with him naturally.

Sasha looked very nomadic to a degree, she was very strong indeed. He liked her clothing, if he had to be honest it made him want to feel the fabric but that would be rude. Her spear was what made his eyes widen some, it wasn't exactly like his own but it certainly looked to be a hefty thing. Was she a Monk? He had heard about them before. She seemed very nice too.

Shemlech was a dragonborn! He had seen very few in his life, but it was mostly at the Coliseum where he met one or two fighting in the pits. He had high respect for them no matter what, they all seemed very powerful people, and Shemlech no less held an imposing aura around himself. Smart people usually were rather imposing, especially librarians. Shemlech spoke kindly and respectfully to the others, so Gill was certain he didn't intend to be a fearsome figure

Wildfire (as he now knows her) seemed very opinionated, and a tad bit brutal in her choice of words. Gill hadn't thought to question Captain Zodge's character or get annoyed with him. But she took her stance without much hesitation. Gill respected that, and found it very comforting to have a very open minded person to join this group that was forming incredibly fast. Her skill with magic also amazed Gill, he couldn't help but wonder if one day he could be as talented as Wildfire in magic, for now though he remained capable of healing and sensing certain energies around him.

Gill blinked, realizing his inner workings and opinions of the others had kept him quiet and spaced out during the conversation, Sylbella had yet to answer and Gill found this a good time as any to respond. Quickly he picked up the conversation as Wildfire set it down

"Uh...Hello! My name is Gill. Though when I was brought to the Paladins to train, I gained a last name too. Gill Ravencrest." He pointed to his emblem pinned to the cloak featuring the raven.
"I am very excited to be working with you all. I can fight, and I can protect. That is what I was trained to do, and as I stand here before you I will ensure no harm befalls you all that results in death. I am now going to be your friend."
Gill smiled proudly to the others, and gave himself a metaphorical pat on his back for such a well constructed introduction. With spear, shield, and greatsword in hand he will protect them.

It seemed that Captain Zodge had been more concerned about passing along the mess caused by these cultists than actually handling it. He didn't give them much to go on besides telling them to talk with someone else entirely. It was a good starting point but something inside Sylbella told her that the Captain was putting them, a group of fresh recruits, in charge of such a matter only so that, should things not work out, the fault wouldn't fall onto him. Of course, this was all her own speculation and impression of Zodge.

Sylbella listened quietly and closely to everyone as they introduced themselves. The group itself seemed to be very diverse. Whether that was good or not, she couldn't know for sure until they actually started working together. She made a point of looking at whoever was talking directly, more out of respect than anything else. She was intrigued, in a good way, by many of the displays her companions gave even if her expression didn't really shift from her composed form.

Eventually, it seemed that she was the last one left to introduce herself. If she had been anyone else, she might have felt as if everyone's eyes were locked on her. "I am Sky." She introduced herself, her words echoing like there was wind present while she gave the room a short bow of her head. This movement caused her ever-moving mane of white hair to shift even more. "It is a pleasure to meet all of you." She wasn't really sure what to say about herself and her capabilities. She didn't really know these individuals in front of her and while she had no cause to not trust them, she also had no reason to since they had just met. It was a weird grey area. In the least, however, she trusted them enough to have her back for the assignment they had been given.

"I would say I am good at a couple of things. Worse in many more." She commented very humbly and eloquently. "I study a little of bit magic." That probably wasn't hard to deduce given the staff in her hand, even if the said staff was hard to tell if it was arcane in nature or just a fashion choice. "I have a way with words as well, written or otherwise spoken."

Sylbella wouldn't mind getting to know the others a little bit more, she welcomed meeting new individuals and experiences, but that would probably have to wait for a later time. "I would like for nothing more than to learn more about each and every one of you, but I believe we should head towards the Elfsong Tavern." Each of Sylbella's words seemed to echo slightly. "I am familiar with its location. It is not far from here. A few blocks west."

Last edited:
It was a pleasure to meet Sylbella, and certainly some do say to save the best for last. Gill was floored at Sylbella's voice, it sounded like it traveled with the wind! The echo was calming too. Gill couldn't help but smile at Sylbella. For certain there was no other explaination of Sylbella that she would be magical, as she looked the part, and dressed the part as well! Her name was Sky, very fitting for one that seemed to have a voice that carried with the wind.
Gill returned her bow with his very own. Manners were important, after all!

"It is a pleasure to be your friend, Sky. You know where the Elfsong Tavern is? If so we can leave at your ready." Gill smiled as he stood back up from his bow.
Gill looked at the rest of his new companions for their own opinions on the matter, and when they should go to the Tavern. The lady in question was a woman by the name of Tarina. He thought of a good way for everyone to introduce themselves without getting on Tarina's "bad" side. Captain Zodge made it perfectly clear not to anger Tarina. Gill especially didn't want to get on anyone's bad side, save for bad people..Of course.

"I am ready to leave when you all are." Gill said finally, before waiting for the others to speak their mind.​

Sasha nods, saying, "I haven't been to this particular tavern before, but it is well enough known that I also can find my way to it. Just remember to be on our best behavior when talking to this person. Speaking of speaking, who is good at socializing? That way we can put our best face forward in meeting Tarina."

Axtis shakes her head. "Oh, you don't want me to be the voice of the party. I always seem to put my foot in my mouth when I get too excited. But I will be well behaved the whole time, I promise! I'll smile and stay quiet. That should keep me from saying the wrong things when I'm not supposed to."

Shemlech keeps quiet and follows on behind the others. As the party looks around for a suitable spokesman, he simply shakes his head. "Uh, no. No, you don't want me".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back