• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (DnD 5E)

BarrenThin2

Fear not the dark, for it is those that deal in the light of day who will be your undoing.
____

Adventure Introduction

Welcome to Baldur’s Gate, a veritable nest of rats and vipers clinging to the rocky slopes overlooking the Chionthar River. From their high perches in the Upper City, the local nobles — known as patriars — gaze down with veiled contempt upon the common rabble in the grimy Lower City, which hugs the foggy harbor. The whole of Baldur’s Gate reeks of blood, crime, and opportunity. One can easily fathom why pirates and traders are drawn to this place like flies to a carcass.

Following the river farther east would eventually lead you to Elturel, capital of the holy land of Elturgard — or at least that was the case until a few days ago. The flood of refugees from Elturel has gotten worse since news first arrived that the city has fallen. Everyone is saying Baldur’s Gate is next, but no one truly knows who or what has claimed Elturel.

The patriars pay a mercenary army called the Flaming Fist to protect their interests in Baldur’s Gate, and by extension, the city itself. The Flaming Fist has gained even more power since their charismatic leader, Ulder Ravengard, claimed the title of Grand Duke a few years ago. Apparently, Ravengard is missing. In his absence, the Flaming Fist has sealed the city’s gates to staunch the flow of refugees. No one is allowed in or out.

All of this was brought to your attention shortly after you were drafted into the Flaming Fist to help defend the city.

baldur'sgate.JPG

___

Baldur's Gate and You

Descent Into Avernus is a fairly difficult and bleak module that will take the characters, however many they are, from level 1 to roughly level 13. Upon getting a group of 4 (minimum) - 10 (maximum) players, we'll use a dndbeyond campaign where I can share all the books I own for character creation purposes, though we'll also do a smaller, less detailed CS on site.

We'll largely be using DnD 5e as written, though certain rules are subject to change depending on how they gel with play by post.

Stats: We'll be using a sort of Heroic Standard Array. That array is as follows, to be assigned wherever you wish: 18, 16, 15, 13, 11, 8.

Allowed Content:
No Magic: The Gathering (Eberron/Ravnica/Theros) for the most part, though Artificer and the Theros subclasses (College of Eloquence, Oath of Glory) are fine. Critical Role content is alright.

Leveling: We'll be using milestone advancement.

Origin: Your character must be properly in Baldur's Gate. Preferably, they will have lived there for at least a little while, but that isn't required. Baldur's Gate is a dreary city full of corruption and villainy. Does this mean your character lacks scruples, or do they push back against the encroaching evil that haunts the city?

___

Dark Secret

You all did a bad, bad thing. Your role in it is either up to you or to the dice- your choice- but you participated in a recent murder, be it directly or simply as a witness.

Doctor Holk Thinster jeopardized lives every night he worked at Cliffgate Hospital. Who knows how many were crippled on Thinster’s table or died under his inexpert knife. You put an end to Thinster’s practice for good.

Why did you do it? Was it to avenge all those Thinster has maimed or killed? Did you think you could maybe rob the man? Did you lose someone to him? Or were you just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

The possible roles in the murder are as follows.
Murderer. Via a blade, a shove, or deliberate inaction, you took a life.
Bystander. You could have prevented a death. You chose not to.
Instigator. You’re the architect of someone’s demise, your words spreading death.
Liar. You know what happened, but didn’t tell.

People are talking. The law doesn't know anything yet, but people keep saying they've seen Holk walking the streets at night after he's been missing some few days. You swear you saw him watching through your window one evening, but that's impossible. Are these just flashes of your guilt, or is something more at work?

This will be expounded upon with each character in the sign-up.

___

'Table' Rules

So, play by post is a relatively new medium of Dungeons and Dragons for me. I've done some research into ways that should helpfully keep things running smoothly.

Initiative: Rather than a hard and fast initiative, we'll instead lean more towards what Baldur's Gate 3 was originally going to do with group initiatives; effectively, the initiative checks are totaled against each other by each side, with each side going one after the other. This will likely generally favor the players, but that is alright with me.

Combat: In general, please keep a quick reference of the most important parts of your character visible in each post (HP, AC, Passives). I'll be able to reference these through dndbeyond, but it'll speed things up. Monsters will always have their AC, defenses, and HP listed so that you individually can do what you need to with each post without having to wait for a response from me, describing the attack, talking, so on. If the zombie dies to one attack, you can move on and attack something else, and I'll cover the death in my post. In general, we'll favor a more 'theater of the mind' approach to proper grid combat. If I don't say otherwise, assume an enemy starts about 25 feet away from you.

Critical Hits: Crits, however they are achieved, always do the max damage possible on the dice (unless the dice explicitly isn't multiplied, as with brutal critical), then roll the dice again. The modifier is doubled for this as well.
Ex.- Goblin crits. Their attack does 1d6+2 damage ordinarily. As such, the base is 8, to begin with. Now they roll 1d6+2 again (or 1d6+10, if you want) for the final damage on the crit.

Post Frequency: Not gonna hold us to a strict order, just gonna move us along if we're waiting on you in combat or otherwise. Don't worry about it too much.

Rollin': When possible if I would call for a check, I will roll in my post and write out the result (this will mostly happen with unsolicited checks and initiative). Saves the time of a very small back and forth between us when it could be knocked out in just a couple posts.

OOC will be done in a separate thread.

Post below if you're interested!

Last edited:
I am definitely intrigued and will have tons of free time going forward at the end of this month. I have a Tabaxi rogue who could very well take on the role of murderer, but be guilt-ridden afterwards. I can write her very confidently, but she is a selective mute. She essentially plays a game of charades whenever she wants to get a point across or add to a conversation.

I dont know much about Baldurs Gate at all. But I do have a Tabaxi Monk that was fresh broken from prison that I have been wanting to play. I got a plus one if I do decide to join in.

I am definitely intrigued and will have tons of free time going forward at the end of this month. I have a Tabaxi rogue who could very well take on the role of murderer, but be guilt-ridden afterwards. I can write her very confidently, but she is a selective mute. She essentially plays a game of charades whenever she wants to get a point across or add to a conversation.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

I dont know much about Baldurs Gate at all. But I do have a Tabaxi Monk that was fresh broken from prison that I have been wanting to play. I got a plus one if I do decide to join in.

It's alright if you don't. I can answer any questions you might have, and the game won't rely on you being able to recite its history to me or anything. The more the merrier!

Sounds like a lot of fun!

It's alright if you don't. I can answer any questions you might have, and the game won't rely on you being able to recite its history to me or anything. The more the merrier!
I can't make no promises yet. Depends on my schedule in wether I can join or not. But I do have interest.

I would be interested in a DnD game. I just wonder what kind of character to make up.

Really any kind of character is alright, though the general theme lends itself a little better to characters with slightly more flexible morals (even if they are generally good people). Still, even then, playing a genuinely very good person in a game like this can be an interesting challenge.

So pulling in a Lawful Good Paladin might not do too well. Ok. I can deal with being a bit naughty. So, I can go with either a fighter or rogue. Just need to decide upon my race.

A Lawful Good Paladin would have something of a difficult time, to be sure. Once we get a couple more people I'll get that signup and the DnDbeyond link up.

I get you. I am either going with a half-orc fighter, or a tiefling rogue. Just need to decide which one.

Ooh. This seems interesting. Also, is the max cap for thia roleplay 5? If so, id like to join ^^

I'm not normally one for level 1 campaigns (gonna be playing a bard if I'm in), but this time I have an idea really calling out to me, so I want in! Question though, is unearthed arcana, after GM revision of course, permissable?

gonna be joining this, class choice will probably be either cleric, warlock or barbarian depending on how the rest of the team looks :^)

Psychie Psychie Not sure if this would sway your decision at all, but I am using a Tabaxi rogue for this. I replied last night with that decision. Just wanted to point that out in case you wouldn’t want to have two rogues on the team.

Psychie Psychie Not sure if this would sway your decision at all, but I am using a Tabaxi rogue for this. I replied last night with that decision. Just wanted to point that out in case you wouldn’t want to have two rogues on the team.

To be fair, unless there is literally one person of each class, there is inevitably going to be repetition. We’re close to if not already at 10 players if we count all the invited as participating.

How do I know which of the different races are allowed or not? D&d beyond still can't dumb it down enough for me to really understand much without asking.

Idea Idea
Idk what that means so I'll just take that as a tentative no x)

The satyr, centaur and probably Minotaur races come from the crossover books between D&D5e and Magic the Gathering, namely Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica, the planeshift documents, and he new Odysseys of Theros. The Eberron stuff also seems to be banned except the artificer, though that one isn’t from Magic the Gathering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back