• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Back in Time 1X1 Closed

SparkleBreaker

♥ Pineapple Queen ♥
giphy.gif

The attic was off limits. Always had been, always will, but that didn’t keep Nat out. Visiting the forbidden part of her grandmother’s old house had forever been on her to do list. Now, with sweet G-ma downstairs fast asleep, was her opportunity to see what was up there.

The white cord dangled from the trap door in alluring way. Natalie took a firm hold on it and slowly started to pull it down. The hinges cried out in a horrible squeak as they had not been used in years, causing her to freeze in place. The TV below was blaring and had covered the noise. The rumble of the elder woman’s snoring gave her reassurance she was in the clear. The cord was pulled once more and the trap door opened to reveal stairs that folded up.

Natalie checked over her shoulders quickly to see if she was still getting away with going in the attic. Indeed she was and she little out a little squeal and waved her hands in the air before pulling the stairs down and climbing them.

The room was quite large, but not exactly what she expected. While she figured that her Mother’s childhood would be stored up here in boxes that was not the case. A work shop table was there, various tools, some she recognized other she didn’t, littered the room. Diagrams and charts were pinned to the wall, along with drawings of a machine, each modified slightly different than the other. The machine happened to be out in the open on the table below.

It was a sore spot in the family and off limits to discuss, her grandfather and his plan to make a time machine. Way back, before she could remember and she was a baby, her grandad claimed that he had successful made a hole in time and could travel. Went public about it and got locked up in a psychiatric ward until he died. Natalie thought all of his research had been swept up under the rug along with the whole scandal, but her grandmother had kept all of it. By the inch thick layer of dust, she knew her grandmother hadn’t touched it since his departure.

“Woah.” Natalie took the machine in her hands. It was a helmet with a large looking scope on the forehead and buttons on the side near where the ear would lie underneath. The helmet fit snug on her head, like it was meant just for her to wear. Not expecting anything to happen, she started pushing the buttons on the side until she heard a little ding and the helmet come to life. A white beam came out of the scope above her face.

Mind reeling she beamed at her discovery, thinking to herself that it could take her anywhere: The future, the 1950s, the renaissances era or maybe even back as far as the Victorian times. The light had created a whole in the air that was dark and Natalie’s adventurous side took over. Perhaps, if she poked her head through she could see where in the past it would take her. The hole started sucking her in as she got closer though and before she could stop it she was falling through time. The landing was hard and she crashed into wood flooring. The helmet did a hell of a job protecting her head, but she could hear one of the pieces bust inside and start shaking around. A groan escaped from her lips as she rolled on her back and rubbed the arm she had landed on.

tumblr_n0c99jp2Xz1ridkjdo1_500.gif

Virginia Kirkland

Virginia hadn't been looking forward to this day, and it was just as bad as she'd thought. Today was the day that her mother and father had decided she would meet her suitor. The man she'd been engaged to basically since birth. Being the fourth of 5 girls, she was familiar with how these days went, though it hadn't ever been her. The visit had gone 'well' in her parents eyes, Virginia hadn't said anything wrong or offended her fiance's family, which was all that mattered. However Virginia knew the boy was good looking, so much so that her sisters had all told her that she'd gotten a
good one or that she was lucky. But Virginia had not felt anything for the attractive, rich man which was notably odd for her though she didn't tell anyone. She knew that this was the way that her mother and sisters had all met their spouses and they all seemed happy enough.

As she listened to her parents say goodbye to their guests, Virginia sighed and stood, straightening her golden dress before continuing to move. (the fourth dress in my cs.) They day moved on as usual, she sat in the darkness of the library in the Kirkland family home. She was reading Jane Eyre in the armchair in the corner when her third eldest sister walked in, the one that was closest to her age. Virginia smiled at the sight of her sister, who had been the only one absent from the day's event. Her sisters stomach was enlarged, she was pregnant with her first child, having married her spouse only a year ago. "There you are Virginia! I've been looking for you" She grinned and stood, "Here a I am" Virginia greeted her sister, standing and hugging. "So, how was he?" To this question Virginia had no answer, "Oh I don't know Cordelia, he's nice an all but I can't see myself being happy with him"

"I felt the same way, look at me now" Virginia laughed at her sisters comment, which made her feel slightly better. "I know but-" She began, before being cut off by a sudden soft thud above them. "What was that?" Her sister looked just as alarmed as Virginia felt, "Um, I don't know. The only thing above us is the attic. I'll go see what it was" She looked confused as she walked toward the door. On her way out she heard her sister call after her, telling her to be safe but she ignored it and moved on. It didn't take her long to reach the door to the attic, carefully she shoved open the old wooden door, revealing a tall dark spirally stair case. Lifting her dress to prevent it from dragging in the dust, she held the rail with her other hand and made her way up.
Why would anyone be up here? She couldn't think of any reason for her family members to be in the attic. They didn't keep much up there, except for broken pieces of furniture and old rugs. Finally arriving at the top of the stairs, Virginia shoved open the second thick door, revealing the medium sized dark attic, as well as the brunette on the floor.

"Who are you?" Virginia asked immediately alarmed. The girl was in odd clothing, and had a strange contraption on her head. Not only that, she had no idea how the woman would've gotten into the attic. "What're you doing?"

tumblr_nbv8vdrMHX1sliirlo1_250.gif

The fall might have dislocated her shoulder or she was being a big baby over the fall. Natalie’s good arm scooped up her bad one and held it close to her chest for protection as she pulled herself upright, in a sitting position. The world around her spun and forced her to stay off her feet. Light footsteps were approaching and she began to frantically push buttons so she could get out of there without being seen. No familiar chime or the low wine of the machine working came and before she knew it a stranger had come through the door and was demanding answers.

Natalie went to respond, but no words came out as she knew nothing of what to say. Taking in the other brunette’s wardrobe she was far from home. Unwanted tears began to well and threatened to spill as she became afraid of what her fate would be.

“Nothing, just trying to go home.” Quickly, her hand darted up to the buttons once more, trying to get the machine working again. Nothing was happening and she must have looked like a crazy person to this stranger. What if they locked her up? The machine would never get fixed and she would be stuck to live out her life here, alone. Tears started streaming down her face as she began to shake.

“I’m not stealing or anything bad. It was an accident, coming here. I’d be out of your hair but this thing won’t work.” Natalie rested her forehead on her knees and covered her head like a child being scolded as she began to sob. Sneaking into the attic was the worse decision of her life and she would never do so again if she could just get out of this predicament.

giphy.gif

Virginia Kirkland

At first, Virginia had a certain anger and fear that had welled up toward the girl, but as the strange girl began to tear up Virginia's heart softened. She walked as quietly as she could toward the girl, sure not to alarm the other members of her family. Soon enough she was directly in front of the crying girl. She knelt down as best she could in the restrictive clothing and reached forward gently, lifting the strange silver helmet from the girls head. Virginia set it on the floor next to them, "It's alright, we'll find a way to fix it" She assured her, though not even sure what it was she had no idea what she would do. "Until we can get you home don't cry. That's no way to waste your time." With a soft, gentle hand, Virginia reached forward and began wiping the tears from the girls eyes.

As she looked over the girl Virginia realized that if this girl was stuck away from home she'd have to learn to be in the society that Virginia had grown up in. "In the meantime, come with me, I'll let you borrow one of my dresses. Since you seem to be stuck here you'll have to dress like you belong here." She removed her hand from the girls face, having wiped away her tears she sat in front of her waiting for a response.

large.gif

Face buried in her arms, she didn’t know what the other woman was about to do, but she could hear her coming closer. The machine gently slid off her head and she looked up to see what the woman was going to do with her only chance at getting back home. Natalie didn’t realize she was holding her breathe until she exhaled as the helmet sat safely next to them. The act of kindness that came next was unexpected as her first impression of the stranger was she would not help out. Yet, she was in front of her wiping away fallen tears. It was sort of embarrassing that she resorted to crying so easily and forced the waterworks off as the other one said to do.

The wardrobe change caused her to raise an eyebrow as she studied the other’s attire. It looked restricting and just as uncomfortable as the history books described it. None the less, the stranger was correct and it would look too outlandish to be waltzing around in her own clothes.

“Right.” she said in a shaking voice, nodding simultaneously with her answer. The helmet was scooped up and she slowly rose onto her shaky feet, hugging the helmet close to her chest as she took in the attic. “Is this a safe place for this?” she looked down at the machine briefly. For the first times, she gave the stranger some eye contact as she began to piece herself back together.

tumblr_mvac9uqUCo1rk5jbto1_250.gif

Virginia Kirkland

Virginia glanced at the contraption as the girl posed her question. "Nobody really comes up here but I never know where the servants go... so we'll hide it in my room somewhere." She turned quickly and lead the girl down the long dark staircase, pushing open further the door that she hadn't closed completely before. The hall was much brighter than the staircase though it wasn't too bright as it was later in the day. Virginia concluded that it was safe to bring the girl to her room as there was no body else in the hall. Quietly she lead her through the hallway to the third door on the left that belonged to Virginia. As she pushed open the door it revealed light blue walls and an intricate green and tan carpet.

In the center of the room was a large brown canopy style bed with the canopy a light blue fabric. To the left of the bed was a brown vanity mirror that doubled as Virginia's desk. She had a few chairs in her room, and near the door a large brown wardrobe that matched the bed and vanity (not in picture). "I'm sure we can find you something to wear, as well as somewhere to put your contraption" She smiled letting the girl in.

2-victorian.jpg

large.gif
Natalie followed in the stranger’s footsteps down the dimly lit staircase and out into the hall. The other brunette was quite fast as they slinked around the house undetected by the rest of the family or the servants that had been mentioned earlier. The helmet was still hugged close to her as it was her only chance to getting home and she didn’t want anyone to take that away. The room that she was lead into was quite nice and certainly not from around her time. Natalie forced a smile on her face as she entered the other’s room. The grip on the time machine loosened as her eyes were drawn to the wardrobe.

“I don’t know how to dress like you.” she told the other in a nervous voice. The fact was she didn’t know anything about the culture and felt like she was going to stick out like a sore thumb. Speaking mannerisms seemed to be a bit different and that alone would pull attention to her.

“Is there a place nearby I should stay at?” Truth was she didn’t really want to go elsewhere, but intruding on her own ally at the moment didn’t seem wise. The other’s advice she would go off of right now until she learned more of her surroundings and where exactly she would fit in this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back