• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Avengers Retold (closed for SerenaStark & Lina)

Lina

Magic Eight Ball
All Katie had wanted since being freed from the lab was to build a new life for herself. One where she could help others as SHIELD had helped her. The Avengers seemed the perfect opportunity for it and she had worked hard. Not just on her telekinetic abilities, but also on herself. She had grown stronger, faster, and more confident during her intensive SHIELD training, slowly leaving behind the traumatized teen they had found cowering in the corner of a lab room in the outskirts of Chicago. Looking at her now, nobody would guess her troubled past.

The day after her introduction to the team and her move into her new room in the Avengers compound, Katie returned to her routine of morning runs. Habits were important, her therapist had told her over and over again. They had helped her settle back into normal life and create a structure for it. After years in a cell, complete freedom had been overwhelming at first. Now she treasured it more than anything. The fresh air, the morning sun just creeping over the horizon, the sounds of people on their way to work, or the chirping of birds were all special to Katie. She didn't even bother putting in headphones to run, much rather taking in the noises around her. She was dressed in dark green and black this morning, her red hair put up in a ponytail, which swayed back and forth at her leisurely running pace.

It still felt surreal knowing she was an official Avenger now. Especially since she didn't feel any different than last week. Then again, how were superheroes supposed to feel? They were just humans after all. Well, most of them anyway. Some were Gods apparently. Meeting the team had been interesting, to say the least, and Katie had been glad that she wasn't the only newcomer. It had helped her not be the center of attention, which she tended to avoid. She had generally spoken only little during the first meeting, preferring to just watch and take everyone in. Having been part of SHIELD for years, none of the Avengers were strangers in theory. But getting to know them in person was different. Tony Stark appeared much smaller yet more friendly than on TV, she thought. Steve Rogers on the other hand seemed more like a shy, down-to-earth kind of guy rather than a national symbol. It all made Katie wonder what they had thought of her. They had received her files in advance of course, but people on paper and people in real life were two very different things. Especially if one's file included at least 10 pages on trauma and therapy alone.

Noticing her thoughts swaying, Katie shook her head and pushed herself to run faster. They hadn't been given a mission yet, but she wanted to keep herself fit to be prepared. Unlike the others, she was no super-soldier or brilliant mind with mechanical suits. At least she had her powers to give her an advantage in battle. Still, getting more stamina never hurt.

Suddenly she noticed footsteps behind her and guessing from the sound, it was someone running as well. She turned her head, seeing none other than Captain America coming into the park's lane right behind her. Katie couldn't say she was surprised for him to be a morning runner as well, but it did make her wonder how to act. Did she say hello and then just leave him to his run? Or should she try and socialize? In the end, a rather awkward: "Good morning, sir." escaped her lips. She wanted to smack herself the moment the words had been spoken. Calling people "sir" had been drilled into her somehow. Even during SHIELD training, she had been taught to address her trainers appropriately. Still, this was beyond embarrassing and somehow she hoped Steve had overheard or would just keep on running. Or maybe she was lucky and hole would open up right underneath her feet and swallow her up. A girl could always dream. But of course, he had heard, leaving her flustering for an explanation or excuse. "Sorry... force or habit.", was the result of a good twenty seconds of thinking for something to say. "You run this course often?", she asked to change the topic, but again smacked herself mentally. Of course, he would be running this course. There weren't that many other options surrounding the compound to be fair. Would she ever get any better at this thing called Smalltalk? Somehow Katie had her doubts. She just hoped that the Captain would not think her a complete nutcase.

If anyone were asked to describe Tony Stark, 'team player' would not be among the words chosen. Not at all. Rich, arrogant, a genius, a philanthropist, or a giant asshole were far more likely. He himself never would have seen himself as anything else but a one-man-show. But ever since the Avengers had been formed, Tony discovered that he liked being part of a team. Did he have to tone down his ego a bit? Maybe. But did it allow him to meet fascinating new people? Absolutely. Did they start to feel like family? That, he would not openly admit to.

And recently, his team had started to expand. With each threat they faced being more dangerous than the last, it was a good choice to get more people on board. And while Tony wondered where in the world SHIELD and Cap managed to pick up a Telekinetic and what seemed to be another super soldier, albeit, without a serum, he was glad for the help. Besides, who could ever complain about two pretty women on the team?

The morning after introductions, Tony walked into the shared living area, heading straight for the coffee machine. He had pulled another all-nighter, having gotten a random new idea for a suit, which wouldn't leave his mind until he worked on it. It wasn't uncommon for him to skip on sleep, but recently it started to drain him more than usual somehow. Rather than change his sleeping schedule, however, Tony decided to just opt for stronger coffee. Alas, the good stuff was in his mansion and not in the Avengers headquarters, so he had to make do with what was available. During that time, most of the Avengers were already out and about, either doing smaller solo missions or living their regular lives. Therefore Tony looked twice when he saw someone around, one of the new members no less.

"Well, good morning. How was the first night in the new home? Good, I hope. We bought special mattresses for ergonomic sleep. Made in Denmark, I believe." He was talking fast and half of it was probably nonsense, but to his sleep-deprived mind, it was all perfectly logical. "I'm making coffee. Do you want some?" While the hot drink was slowly trickling through the machine, Tony leaned against the counter behind him, folding his arms to keep his hands from fidgeting. "Serena, was it?", he asked, unable to keep quiet. "So you and our Captain go way back, huh? How far is way back?" It was a legitimate question to ask when it came to Steve Rogers' acquaintances, he thought. And the answer just proved him right on that one. Was it rude to tell a woman she didn't look almost 100 years old or did it count as a compliment? "Well, I would not have guessed.", he opted for as an answer. At least, he didn't look the least bit shocked or surprised. Spending time with a Russian agent, a scientist who turned into a monster, and a god of thunder did that to people.

"If you don't mind me asking, why join now?", Tony spoke, sounding serious for the first time. "I mean, we have been around for a while now..." He poured his coffee, while he listened to her, happily taking his first few sips. Honestly, he could understand her reasoning and so he nodded now and then to show both his approval and his attention. "Well, I am glad that we got more people to join. This saving the world kind of thing is can get a bit stressful somehow.", he said casually, as if talking about paperwork and not aliens invading the planet.

"Any plans for the day? I still have some errands to run for Stark Industries, so I could drop you off somewhere?", he offered. Although he wasn't as actively involved in the company as before, he still worked for it whenever possible, unable to let go of this legacy. He had started changing Stark Industries into something good and he wanted to see it through. Besides, the company funded a lot of the luxuries the Avengers got to enjoy in their headquarters so it only felt fair to do some work for it. "Also, I figured we could do a group dinner tonight. What do you think of Shawarma?"

Serena hadn't gotten much sleep since she'd arrived. There was so many people to talk to and questions to answer. According to Steve they just wanted to make sure she was truly ready to serve with the Avengers both physically and mentally. Unfortunately being frozen in ice could take a lot out of a person. She was lucky though to have Steve there for most of the process as she was still becoming accustom to the way things were done in this new world. Hell she hadn't really figured out the one she'd left back in the 1940's. She had heard a lot about the team from Steve before she agreed to join them. There were a lot of comments about the one they called Tony Stark and most of those comments were critical.

She was sitting on the couch in the middle polishing off one of her gauntlets on when she heard an unfamiliar voice behind her. She glanced back to see who it was and was a little surprised to find the man she'd heard too much about. "I am not sure what Denmark is," she admitted in her Themysciran accent, "But yes, it is nice. I have not seen anything like your home before." She glanced back at her work but to her surprise he kept talking. She quickly began to realize that she wasn't going to get much done while he was around; much like Steve had already told her. She turned slightly and gave him more of her attention. "I am not the biggest fan of coffee," she admitted as she brushed a lock of her blonde hair behind her ear, "I hear that you are though. Steven has told me much about all of you. He cares for all of you dearly."

She set the piece of armor down on the coffee table in front of her as she stood up from her seat. "Yes I am Serena, and you must be Tony," she said as she walked over with a smile, nodding to his ARC reactor, "Your...little blue sun gives you away." She paused when he spoke about how the pair went back quite a bit. She nodded quietly for a moment as she rested her forearms on the counter, watching him from the opposite side. "Steven and I fought together a very long time ago against the Germans and HYDRA. He taught me a lot when I came here. I trust him with my life. He has always been kind to me and looked out for me when I had no one else," she admitted. She would say the same about Howard but he was gone now. She'd learned that painful fact when she'd woken up. He'd died and she hadn't been there to protect him. Thankfully Tony's words distracted her from dwelling on the thought.

She couldn't help but let her smile grow back on her lips. "I did not chose to stay away from this. I was busy being an ice cube," she admitted with a shake of her head, "I would have fought at Steven's side in an instant but SHIELD did not believe I was ready. There was...still is a lot to learn about this place. I mean I was confused when Howard showed me what a car was now you have...a talking magic house that listens to you and does what you ask. It is hard to wrap my mind around." She stopped again when she heard him mention Shwar... something or another. "Yes you can teach me about whatever...that is," she chirped.
~~~
Steve had talked with Serena briefly before leaving that morning. He had wanted to make sure she would be alright on her own. She'd been with others at SHIELD for most of her stay at the infirmary and he didn't want to just leave her behind. Serena had shoo-ed him away fairly quickly, reassuring him that she was more than capable of going about her day on her own. Not wanting to argue, he left to go out on his morning run. He would run the park course about 10 times in the morning. It was fairly lengthy but it never bothered him. It honestly gave him time to think; it never occurred to him that he looked like a show off calling out 'on your left' a few dozen times to anyone he passed.

As he ran by a young woman he heard her speak up. He slowed when he recognized the voice and smiled at her. He was never good with women. Bucky had told him that, Howard had taunted him for it, and Serena tried to be encouraging but regardless he would constantly make a few of himself when females were around. "Hi," he said trying to sound at least semi-confident. He had to admit that he was a little relieved when she came off as a little unsure of herself as well. Most women who...well looked like her always appeared over-confident and intimidating. Not her though. She actually seemed to be more nervous around him than he was around her.

"I do. Every morning usually," he admitted with a smile, "I never uh...see many other team members out here. I guess everyone either likes their sleep or hates running." Should he have said that? With his luck, he felt like he would see Clint or someone rounding the corner to prove him wrong. Or worse: Tony. He almost rolled his eyes at the thought but he didn't want her to think he was brushing her off. "Do you...like coming out on runs? I mean... obviously you do because here you are," he stammered before shaking his head, "Sorry I...sometimes I get my tongue tied." Just once he wanted to be a bit more confident. Just once. "Are you liking the team so far? I know all of this has to be a little overwhelming. At least Serena knows me. I can't imagine how it must feel not knowing anyone," he offered as he ran alongside her.

Tony looked at Serena intently when she first told him she didn't know about Denmark, waiting for her to drop that she was joking, but the confusion on her face was sincere. He just ignored it, but the more he spoke, the more it was clear that she wasn't understanding him completely. Or rather what he was talking about, causing him to take a deep gulp of coffee. He moved to sit down in a chair opposite the couch, taking a long look at his new team member.

"So, I gotta admit that I didn't really read your files. I always skip that... but something is telling me that you aren't just from the past like Cap.", he said, wanting to get things right. The last thing he wanted to do was keep on mentioning things that went right over her head. Especially since he was actually trying to be nice and sociable that morning. Lack of sleep made some people grumpy, but for Tony, it seemed to be the opposite.

He listened to Serena with patience, still occasionally taking sips of his coffee and when she finished, he was silent for a few seconds, just letting everything sink in. "Huh, every time I think I've heard it all, something new comes along.", he finally said, leaning back further in his chair, his tone nonchalant, as if she had told him about a new movie rather than a completely new place of existence. "How are you holding up then with all....this?", he asked, gesturing around the area around them. The Avengers headquarters were equipped with the most modern technologies and gadgets, which seemed to confuse anyone but Tony. So it was hard to imagine how someone like Steve and especially Serena was managing in that environment. "If you ever have any questions or anything...", he left the rest of the suggestion unspoken. She was a grown woman and was probably quite capable of asking for help when needed.

"Wow... a completely different world...", this he said more to himself, still marveling at the new discovery. What else didn't he know? It made a mind like his both excited and frustrated.

The conversation was awkward, to say the least, but it actually helped Katie to warm up, as a smile sneaked across her lips. "I actually don't really like going on runs.", she said, smiling even more when he met her gaze. "But it helps me. It's a good routine to have and you could say that I rather like the effect it has." She had never been a fan of jogging itself, but rather of the experience of being free to just move and start the day energized.

At his next question, the smile lessened a bit. "I'm not fully used to it yet.", she admitted. "Having a team, I mean." For a second she thought about how to structure her next words before continuing: "I was part of various training groups at SHIELD, but that was different. It was all work and I never really participated in any private events." Should she say why? She never liked talking about it much, but if he had seen her file, he knew anyways. "Therapy sessions and schoolwork took up pretty much all afternoons.", she just blurted out. A therapy itself was nothing to be ashamed of after what she had gone through, she knew, but it was nothing she was proud of either. The same went for schoolwork really. She had missed almost her entire educative years due to captivity and when SHIELD had offered her to catch up, she had agreed, putting all her focus into at least getting a high school degree. And she should be proud of managing to get it done, but it still felt wrong to have gotten it so late in life.

Kate didn't even dare to look back at Steve after that, instead, she focused her eyes on the path ahead. The course was longer than she had anticipated, but she was too stubborn to give up. She would manage the two rounds she had set for herself. To distract herself, she started the conversation again: "What was it like for you when you first saw how much the world had changed around you?" To her, the 7 years she had missed had been a shock. For him, it had been 70, which was a totally different experience altogether. One Katie couldn't really wrap her head around. But she was genuinely curious how he had managed to adapt, seeing as he looked at ease now.

Serena watched as he leaned in to listen to her. She could tell that he was curious man. She couldn't help laugh slightly when he asked if she was similar to Steven. "Not quite," she admitted with a shake of her head, "I am from a very small island in the Pacific. Very few of...your people have seen it, and only one managed to get off of it alive. My mother is not the biggest fan of visitors. On my island, we train very long and very hard for battle and war in case the world encounters a force that they cannot fight on their own. The problem is they don't know when the people are in trouble because they are so secluded. When I was told about the war that your people were suffering I could not stay behind. I agreed to come here, train Steven in the art of combat, and help Howard Stark win the war. This is what we had been training for and I could not refuse him."

It was still hard for her to come to terms with everything. That everyone she had met was gone except for Steve. Even all the technology she'd learned about was either gone or advanced beyond recognition. It was like starting all over again and that was frustrating. She knew Steve now understood how she'd felt as though he'd been here for a while now, he was still growing to adjust to his new world and his role in it. "I am...doing alright, Tony," she assured with a nod, "There is a lot to learn here but I am working on it. I know I will start to get more and more used to it with time."

She could tell that he was a little flustered hearing all of this. He seemed like a very smart man and to hear that there were other things out there that he may not understand appeared like it frustrated him. Howard had been similar when she saw her island but eventually the curiosity swept the irritation aside. She paused though for a moment as she thought about the two sharing the same last name. She wasn't entirely sure how that system worked as she didn't have one but it was almost a bit eerie how similar they were. "Do you...did you ever know a Howard Stark?" she asked intently.
~~~
Steve smiled with relief when she didn't try to end the conversation. Despite his 'new' appearance, his relentless awkwardness could still sometimes scare the ladies off. It actually almost seemed to give her some peace of mind. He never wanted to come off as intimidating but thankfully he had something to balance out his appearance. "Running has become part of my routine too. It gives me time to think and just...relax a little bit. I can't do that very well unless I'm being active," he added.

Steve listened quietly though as she explained what she had been going through. He had read her file and knew that she had been through some pretty horrible things. He doubted that everything was in there but he had a decent idea of what she was struggling with. He didn't blame her one bit. He couldn't imagine experiencing the horrors she'd seen and being as well put together as she was. It still seemed like a pretty sensitive topic for her as well. "Fury told me you'd just finished up with school. You're a few steps ahead of me," he said with a slight smile, "I missed a lot of school due to illness and once the war hit well...there wasn't much schooling going on or at least no one was putting it at the center of their attention."

He wasn't sure if that was helpful but she should know that everyone moves at their own pace. He'd been on this team for a few years now and still wasn't entirely sure how a cell phone worked. He was about to say more but he stopped when she asked how he was adjusting. "Well...its been a journey. I'm still learning even now. I don't feel as alone as before now that Serena is here. She knows less than I do so I've been staying busy trying to teach her. It just feels strange. I had a life, went to sleep, and when I woke up, it was gone," he replied quietly, "Everyone and everything I knew was completely gone."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back