• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Outlaws' Tale - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Ah, unless I've misunderstood something, the Flying Opera Company is definitely not affiliated with the earth kingdom military or government. Daofei are basically bandits sworn to some honour code. So you can see my confusion not only at the government assigning troops to serve with bandits attacking said government, but with the bandits accepting the service of government troops! That's why I thought Taosei had deserted. I didn't see how else he could go from soldier to criminal, unless he's an under cover agent.
You haven't misunderstood. Canonically, the Flying Opera Company has a number of oaths, with two of the most important being to never serve a ruler or be beholden to a law, and never to make an honest living working from those who abide by laws. In everyone else's defence, I might not have made things clear earlier.

...so the Kingdom either dealt them away to private agencies like the Company...
The Flying Opera Company's not actually a private agency, and they're certainly not in service to the Earth Kingdom. The closest thing they have to a liege is Kyoshi, who isn't in high standing with the Earth Kingdom right now, and doesn't really mind stepping on the toes of the nobility there.

Last edited:
Okay, so the game's started. I'm going to hold off on replying for a bit to give other people a chance to get involved.

Got a post ready to go; will most likely put it up tomorrow.

The Flying Opera Company's not actually a private agency, and they're certainly not in service to the Earth Kingdom. The closest thing they have to a liege is Kyoshi, who isn't in high standing with the Earth Kingdom right now, and doesn't really mind stepping on the toes of the nobility there.
Oh, I had thought that while they were disconnected they had an established though perilous link, given the Avatar and such, apologies! No harm done for his story though, Taosei would've probably been handed an extremely low role and had plenty of chances to answer to many scenes of injustice within his job, eventually reaching the eyes of the Company.

He's probably under severe scrutiny though, even though he got in via a visible defection and a showcase of his true morality, Taosei's militaristic origins and his current position is definitely reason to look for a proper 'proof of loyalty' through missions and such.

Oh, I had thought that while they were disconnected they had an established though perilous link, given the Avatar and such, apologies!
It's cool. If you haven't read the Kyoshi Novels, I can understand having such a misconception.

No harm done for his story though, Taosei would've probably been handed an extremely low role and had plenty of chances to answer to many scenes of injustice within his job, eventually reaching the eyes of the Company.

He's probably under severe scrutiny though, even though he got in via a visible defection and a showcase of his true morality, Taosei's militaristic origins and his current position is definitely reason to look for a proper 'proof of loyalty' through missions and such.
Wong and Kirima would at the very least be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt once he'd sworn his oaths, provided he dropped his official ties to both Zoryu and the Earth King.

Random Word Random Word
Glad to see that Aph Kyang can get along with at least one member of the OG Flying Opera Company ;).

In other news, what form do you imagine the Xīnsùèr Clan's presence in this part of the Lower Ring would take? Do they just have something like a branch group that competes for territory and rackets with the other gangs in the area? Do they collect protection money from those gangs while otherwise staying out of the area? Or do they do something else?

Last edited:
jaydude jaydude What plants in Ba Sing Se native or exotic with potential uses as poison would Zea know about?
Canonically, the only known poisonous plant in the Avatarverse is the white jade bush. You can have there be a variant of it adapted for urban environments in Ba Sing Se, or you can create your own original plant if you like.

Also, something I should probably point out is that under this system, you don't exactly "have your characters use moves". Rather, you say and describe what your characters do, and I decide whether or not that triggers a move. Of course, you can absolutely talk to me about what would be required to trigger specific moves.

So just to use the current situation as an example, EbonChevalier EbonChevalier , you would need to write about Zea sizing up the six daofei who have just confronted your group before making a roll, and it's up to me whether or not you get/have to make one.

Last edited:
Zea who was currently munching on a peach gave the toughs blocking their way a discerning look. “Huh. *munch smack* Our high and mighty earth kings coffers must be running dry. These guards are dressed kinda shabbily.”
Yeah, this works. Go ahead and make your roll either here or on your IC post.

Random Word Random Word
Glad to see that Aph Kyang can get along with at least one member of the OG Flying Opera Company ;).

In other news, what form do you imagine the Xīnsùèr Clan's presence in this part of the Lower Ring would take? Do they just have something like a branch group that competes for territory and rackets with the other gangs in the area? Do they collect protection money from those gangs while otherwise staying out of the area? Or do they do something else?

I forgot to reply to this, apologies. The Xīnsùèr I think have three main branches. The White Hand, the Ashen Hand, and the Black Hand.

The White Hand is a cartel with a near monopoly over medical services in many neighbourhoods, especially poorer neighbourhoods. Apothecaries, herbalists, alchemists, etc are often coerced into joining guilds operated by the Xīnsùèr, which allows the family to use their storefronts as fronts and to use access to medicine as leverage against their enemies. In return, members have access to rare medicines and training. This is the reputable public face of the family, though the extent of its control over the guilds and extracurricular usage of the offices of members is kept quiet.

The Ashen Hand is the primary supplier of recreational substances to many neighbourhoods. They operate as a wholesaler, and don't bother with street level territory control or selling direct to users. They do gather information from drug dens and other places of vice, and collect blackmail material. They work to ensure competing wholesalers are eliminated or marginalized.

The Black Hand is the most secretive and feared branch, responsible for assassination, infiltration, and sabotage. The Black Hand eliminates threats to the other branches as necessary, and often the mere threat of their intervention is enough to keep the other branches secure. The Black Hand collects 'retainers' from those who would like to be able to purchase their services, but it is understood this is protection money, as they will often offer their services at heavily discounted rates against those who they would like to encourage to retain their services in future.

Sorry I didn't post more in the last scene. I was waiting for the last cast member to be introduced before running even further ahead of them.

I wasn’t asking a question I was sizing them up for weakness.
Yeah, and if you get between 7-9 on your roll, you get to ask one of four questions;
  • What are your weaknesses / strengths?
  • How can I show you dominance / submission?
  • What do you intend to do next?
  • What do you wish I’d do right now?
Shall I assume you'd like to ask the first question?

Yeah, and if you get between 7-9 on your roll, you get to ask one of four questions;
  • What are your weaknesses / strengths?
  • How can I show you dominance / submission?
  • What do you intend to do next?
  • What do you wish I’d do right now?
Shall I assume you'd like to ask the first question?
The second I don’t wanna waste time on these scrubs I want to cow them into running off

(I want to bend some nearby vine creepers to entangle them.)
I hadn't originally envisioned there being any plants nearby, seeing as this is Lower Ring Ba Sing Se, but sure, I can have some be close enough for you to use here. If there are some overgrown vines, it's not like the locals are really going to care much as long as they're not causing problems.

For you, this'll be a rely on your skills and training roll. Go ahead and post in the IC topic; since you're acting on information you gleaned, you don't need to make a roll.

Okay, so Aph Kyang wants to follow Zea, but what about everyone else?

If no-one's going to post, I'm probably going to draw this game to a close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back