• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Outlaws' Tale - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
jaydude jaydude That's exactly what a Ju Dee would say! "There is no brainwashing facility there. There is only a perfectly normal prison there. There is no reason to go see such a prison because it is entirely normal. Do not go to see the normal prison or you will be arrested."

I'll tell you more about my character after work. General concept is a street urchin that doesn't like anyone telling her what to do and has difficulty trusting anyone has her back. She's a non-bender that fights dirty. Attack the jewels, sand in their eyes, improvised weapons, stuff like that. She is specifically good at evasion and using her opponent's momentum against them.

I'm slowly figuring out the character creation a piece at a time, but you'll probably have to look it over with a fine toothed comb when I finish. Just to be safe.

So given that three of our players have expressed interest in it, I'd say that this game's looking increasingly like it's going to have Ba Sing Se for a scope. In which case, I think we should start considering our group focus, a.k.a. the main reason our characters are currently working together.

Given that we're going the whole heroic criminal route, I'm thinking we could have something like:

Protect the Flying Opera Company. Emphasis on the "criminal" part. Whatever your characters' personal reasons for joining it, The Flying Opera Company is one of the more morally sound daofei groups within Ba Sing Se, and people in less than fortunate circumstances - perhaps including some of you - could do a lot worse. It's still getting back on its feet after a run of very bad luck though, and there are those who'd see it snuffed out before it could return to its former glory, including lawmen, corrupt officials, and of course rival daofei gangs. Avatar Kyoshi is a member of the group, but she can't be involved in its affairs all the time, and while you guys are all relatively new, you currently rank among its top fighters and most skilled members. If there's anyone who can ensure the Flying Opera Company prospers, it's you lot. Plus, the opportunity to earn yourselves a bit of ill-gotten money surely doesn't hurt, yes?

Or...

Protect the downtrodden of Ba Sing Se. Emphasis on the "heroic" part. Many in Ba Sing Se's Lower Ring live in poverty, neglected by the Earth Kingdom's government, exploited by unscrupulous citizens and preyed upon by less honorable daofei. Wong and Kirima, the de facto heads of the Flying Opera Company, might care little for the plights of those who abide by the law - unless they're paying protection money - but given your abilities and how valuable they are to the group, they won't begrudge you some independent ventures. And Kyoshi certainly won't complain about you helping her do her job.

I have two ideas for characters so far I'm interested in

An idealist firebender who has taken an oath of non-lethality after a brutal incident trying to figure out if they want to enact vengeance or move on.

An icon martial artist who finds that their ideals are at conflict with a tradition that has never faulted themselves. (Either a nonbender or has some unawakened bending)
Either of these could work. If you're going to be playing a Firebender though, you should be aware that until recently, the Fire Nation was gripped by economic troubles and political instability that very nearly boiled over into a civil war. This could serve as the backdrop for the brutal incident in your character's past if you like. Otherwise, your character could have been involved with a group of pirates or something.

Can we do both? Saving the FOC and helping the outer ring folk aren't mutually exclusive. Plus one hand does wash the other. I'm sure the lower classes would be willing to help the heroic Daofei who helped them when they can.

Can we do both? Saving the FOC and helping the outer ring folk aren't mutually exclusive. Plus one hand does wash the other. I'm sure the lower classes would be willing to help the heroic Daofei who helped them when they can.
Yeah, definitely not mutually exclusive. Just aware there could be a bit of distinction between them.

EbonChevalier EbonChevalier I don't think jaydude jaydude meant that the option we didn't choose was prohibited material. I think we're just deciding what the primary focus of the rp should be. Stories tend to be better when they have a clear and concise theme or focus, and having too many focal points can cause the story to meander or feel like it the story didn't know what it wants to say.

My vote is to focus more on the heroism. This is avatar afterall. Doing the right thing (or struggling to) rhymes a bit more with the shows than "have fun, get rich, maybe tip the homeless guy" does. Not sure how much my vote should count, though, considering my character will probably be the one acting the least heroic most of the time.

EbonChevalier EbonChevalier Heck yeah! Like robin hood and his merry men or something.

jaydude jaydude On fighting techniques, it says to pick 1 Mastered and 1 Learned. Is the Mastered technique the one each playbook already has, or do we pick a second one? For example, the Rogue has Sweep the Leg (an Attack and Advance technique that's Mastered).

jaydude jaydude Mmhmm!! I'll probably go for the firebender myself too, so it's nice to know! I have some experiences with dice and have watched the cartoon but I'm seeing this world blind!

And maybe that should be up for character choice? As in, we can choose the company or the people with what we do and focus on throughout the RP.

I agree with the Ba Sing Se setting with some trips every now and then!

Also what about the opera part? Are we going to do doing shows in the inner most ring?
Probably not immediately, or at least not until Wong deems some of you competent enough to perform in front of an audience. Be warned though, he's a bit of a dramatic hardass when it comes to training people.

On fighting techniques, it says to pick 1 Mastered and 1 Learned. Is the Mastered technique the one each playbook already has, or do we pick a second one? For example, the Rogue has Sweep the Leg (an Attack and Advance technique that's Mastered).
No, the playbook technique is one of the options you have for your Mastered technique. You can absolutely swap it out for another technique if you wish, but you can't start with more than one Mastered technique unless your playbook permits otherwise.

And maybe that should be up for character choice? As in, we can choose the company or the people with what we do and focus on throughout the RP.
Not quite sure what you mean here.

jaydude jaydude Thanks. Makes sense now. I don't think I fully understand "Sweep the Leg", though. For starters, if I don't choose it at character creation, can I still learn it later? Secondly, does it require the opponent have 3+ fatigue and 3+ conditions, or just 3+ fatigue and conditions combined? One is much harder to pull off than the other.

jaydude jaydude Thanks. Makes sense now. I don't think I fully understand "Sweep the Leg", though. For starters, if I don't choose it at character creation, can I still learn it later? Secondly, does it require the opponent have 3+ fatigue and 3+ conditions, or just 3+ fatigue and conditions combined? One is much harder to pull off than the other.
I think you may learn it at any time if you can find a teacher, just like any other technique.

It does indeed mean "Add the total of the opponent's fatigue and number of ticked conditions. If that number is >=3, then..."

Random is right about the second one. I can't find anything in the corebook that explicitly allows the first one, but I myself am prepared to do so.

jaydude jaydude Essentially, we can choose to prioritize the company or the company's objective via decisions we make in RP (whether that be how we go about missions or specific options) and mold our path through acting what our characters would go for through practice in writing

jaydude jaydude Essentially, we can choose to prioritize the company or the company's objective via decisions we make in RP (whether that be how we go about missions or specific options) and mold our path through acting what our characters would go for through practice in writing
Sure, you can do that. I'll also adjust storylines based on your chosen group focus.

jaydude jaydude Doing okay. My backstory is getting bloated, so I'm probably only going to answer the 5 questions in shot form and then send you the backstory outline to review. Other characters can learn the details of he past as we roleplay.

I will be working this weekend. Won't have any time tomorrow night to work on my character any. Still got to find a nice picture as well.

DemonKitten DemonKitten I think EbonChevalier is going to be a Prodigy Waterbender (swamp barbarian). RandomWord is going to be a Successor Techbender (toxic femininity). It sounds like The Cat Man is going to go an Idealist Firebender (*insert slightly offensive alias*). And I'm currently working on a Rogue Limbbender (the weakest avenger). That's all I know of at the moment. Maybe jaydude will have a character as well that isn't one of the main NPCs.

Hey all. Hoping to open up a discussion about our group's inciting incident, which is basically a bit of backstory about how our characters came to meet one another and become committed to our group focus.

The inciting incident is a three-act thing, with selections for each of the acts below:

Act 1
  • We befriended [ally] who gave us access to [valuable item].
  • We discovered a secret hidden by [powerful figure].
  • We did something fun, but drew the ire of [powerful figure] in the process.
  • We learned the frightening plans of [powerful foe].

Act 2
  • We stole [valuable item] from [powerful foe].
  • We discovered a terrible truth about [location or powerful figure].
  • We defended [ally or place] from [powerful foe].
  • We destroyed [valuable item] and drew the ire of its owner, [powerful foe].

Act 3
  • We fought and barely defeated [powerful foe].
  • We narrowly escaped capture by [powerful foe].
  • We saved or rescued [ally] from [powerful figure].
  • We were saved from [powerful foe] by [ally], to their own detriment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back