• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
jaydude jaydude
Prince Zuko being forgiven by his father, the Fire Lord, who thinks Zuko slew the Avatar. Zuko confronting his sister who gave him credit for killing the Avatar and asking why.

Aang and Katara teaching Fire Nation kids how to dance and then getting caught, but the Fire Nation kids covering for them when their Elders investigate their island party.

I'm probably on, like Episode 3, aren't I? =)
Still on episode 2. ;)

Dannigan Dannigan Psychie Psychie and especially Sherwood Sherwood
I should probably point out that in this game, killing is something that always has great consequences. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it should never be done lightly. None of your characters begin play having taken lives before; for the previous battle, I was kinda writing things so that Liu Bing wasn't actually landing fatal blows on the soldiers she was fighting.

To reflect this, I'm thinking of shifting Liu Bing's balance towards Control, to represent an increased willingness to do things her way, the way she was taught in the Fire Nation. Also thinking that she could mark either Guilty, Insecure or Troubled, to indicate turmoil she feels over directly killing a fellow Fire National and/or falling back into her own lines of thinking. And perhaps also have Bamboo and O-Ren mark conditions of their own - either Insecure or Troubled - after seeing their companion kill another human being and act so blasé about it.

Still on episode 2. ;)
I am still laughing about this! Ha ha! =)

I should probably point out that in this game, killing is something that always has great consequences. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it should never be done lightly. None of your characters begin play having taken lives before; for the previous battle, I was kinda writing things so that Liu Bing wasn't actually landing fatal blows on the soldiers she was fighting.

Right! Thank you for bringing this up because I... maybe I was in one of my many sensitive moods or something... but I was momentarily shocked at the idea that Liu Bing had just taken everything that combustion-bender ever had and ever would have. I didn't expect that here in this game. I play some remorseless killers in some of my games (where death is part of the struggle), but in Avatar, especially with its roots in Buddhism, life is to be respected. It's precious. But Liu Bing is a warrior. What do warriors do but fight and die in combat?

I guess I would have expected it in most any other game, but Avatar is a game powered, I think, by an... (what's the word?) atmosphere of child-like ways. Harshness, ruthlessness, and blood? Cyberpunk 2020 is your game. But Avatar? I think only the heartless can't understand a game and a realm like this one. I think it's why Avatar reached such popularity, even now. Compassion is not just a description on your character's alignment, but a way of being that is real, and not-often-enough seen in our Real Life. And so, it is valued here. I find that to be something special. =)

To reflect this, I'm thinking of shifting Liu Bing's balance towards Control, to represent an increased willingness to do things her way, the way she was taught in the Fire Nation. Also thinking that she could mark either Guilty, Insecure or Troubled, to indicate turmoil she feels over directly killing a fellow Fire National and/or falling back into her own lines of thinking. And perhaps also have Bamboo and O-Ren mark conditions of their own - either Insecure or Troubled - after seeing their companion kill another human being and act so blasé about it.

Uh, sign Bamboo up for Troubled all the way. In Sharseya, folks who know him know that Powerpaw is a true and very real natural-born killer. Here in Avatar, Bamboo can't even imagine killing someone. But for Liu Bing to do so freely, even if to defeat a clear threat to the team and their mission for the Earth Kingdom? This has changed Bamboo's way of thinking concerning Liu Bing. If she can kill that freely, that easily, then perhaps there is something to the Fire Nation as a whole that is troubling. Even morally corrupt.

Just another mystery for each of our characters to identify and live with or solve, no? =) I do like this system for its take on emotional roleplaying. =)

I guess I would have expected it in most any other game, but Avatar is a game powered, I think, by an... (what's the word?) atmosphere of child-like ways. Harshness, ruthlessness, and blood? Cyberpunk 2020 is your game. But Avatar? I think only the heartless can't understand a game and a realm like this one. I think it's why Avatar reached such popularity, even now. Compassion is not just a description on your character's alignment, but a way of being that is real, and not-often-enough seen in our Real Life. And so, it is valued here. I find that to be something special. =)
I'd probably use "generally optimistic atmosphere" as opposed to one of "child-like ways". Some dark and heavy stuff does happen in the show - the Air Nomad Genocide, the whole Hundred Year War, everything in "Appa's Lost Days" - but I feel like there's an overarching message that things can get better if people put in the effort to make them so.

I fully understand. I had pictured her behavior as a remnant of the training she's received from her days as a soldier, but now it will haunt her as a 'did I really need to do that' kind of thing. If I were to vote on a status effect, I'd say Troubled sounds right to me.

I fully understand. I had pictured her behavior as a remnant of the training she's received from her days as a soldier, but now it will haunt her as a 'did I really need to do that' kind of thing. If I were to vote on a status effect, I'd say Troubled sounds right to me.
Glad to know that we're both on the same page. Do you want to go back and edit your post?

Hmm. I might add something more to it, but the action of attacking the two is still going to stand. I am thinking that it will be more of a thing that sinks in later on. What did I just do? Did I really have to do that? What's wrong with me? That kind of thing.

I'd probably use "generally optimistic atmosphere" as opposed to one of "child-like ways".
To my strange brain, they mean the same, but I like your words! I appreciate your adding them to the mix as I likely would not have come by them on my own. =) I guess I mean "child-like" (not childish) because I've been playing "adult" games (like Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries. Cyberpunk 2077 is a favorite. In both games, people are getting killed all of the time).

Cyberpunk and Avatar are night and day. =) Heh.

Some dark and heavy stuff does happen in the show - the Air Nomad Genocide, the whole Hundred Year War, everything in "Appa's Lost Days" - but I feel like there's an overarching message that things can get better if people put in the effort to make them so.
Hey! You just supplied three different examples without a single spoiler, Jay! (Not that I thought you would spoil again; I belieeeve in yooou! Heh!). Thanks, you!

but I feel like there's an overarching message that things can get better if people put in the effort to make them so.
Absolutely! Well-put!

Bamboo is a little too numb to make this suggestion; perhaps our team should search the eel-hound for goods or rations and then set it free?

Dannigan Dannigan Sherwood Sherwood
Bamboo's dialogue sounds like a triggering of the guide and comfort move. I can go ahead and roll it if you like; on a hit, one of two things can happen:
  • Liu embraces Bamboo's guidance and comfort, allowing her to clear a condition or 2-fatigue. If Liu does this, Bamboo can ask her a question that she has to answer honestly. Additionally, if I roll 10 or more, Bamboo can shift Liu's balance
  • Liu shuts Bamboo down, inflicting a condition on him, but also allowing him to shift her balance in response.

Do I need to make an IC post first? One where I go along with the group to the Fort?

Do I need to make an IC post first? One where I go along with the group to the Fort?
I wouldn't say so. I'm largely just waiting on word from Dannigan Dannigan first. Also, I'm only planning to skip ahead to when you're back in the air again, just in case you want more chances to clear conditions with each other.

jaydude jaydude Yes please in rolling for Bamboo! His Harmony modifier is +2. I am also hoping to clear our Fatigue when all of us get back on Smoochie. Bamboo and I would also like to leave the rider in the shade somewhere so at least he is as comfortable as possible along with some food and water for him.

I think O-Ren appears to be in especially bad shape, but she didn't return Bamboo's attempt to help her. So after this I don't know what to do to help our party besides go to the Earth Kingdom's Fort Tangdao.

Any ideas, team?

jaydude jaydude Yes please in rolling for Bamboo! His Harmony modifier is +2. I am also hoping to clear our Fatigue when all of us get back on Smoochie. Bamboo and I would also like to leave the rider in the shade somewhere so at least he is as comfortable as possible along with some food and water for him.
I rolled you a nine (modifier included). Sherwood Sherwood , go ahead and respond.

And yes, you can safely assume that all your fatigue will be cleared at the start of the next scene. And I'm taking it as a given that the rider will be left at least reasonably safe and comfortable.

In forgiving Liu, I also realize that Bamboo has fulfilled one of his Icon Prohibitions (i.e. not violated it):
Never withhold forgiveness. (To Bamboo, this means not hating anyone; forgiving without forgetting, wishing them well.)

I don't know why, but it makes me feel good so I thought I would share. =)

Sherwood Sherwood
I'm going to take that response as Liu being receptive to Bamboo's words. Go ahead and clear either one condition or 2-fatigue. I'd recommend you do the former, seeing as you're going to be able to clear all your fatigue anyway via Smoochie.

I think O-Ren appears to be in especially bad shape, but she didn't return Bamboo's attempt to help her. So after this I don't know what to do to help our party besides go to the Earth Kingdom's Fort Tangdao.
You can always talk to each other. Offering support to other members of the group will generally trigger the guide and comfort move.

I'd recommend you do the former, seeing as you're going to be able to clear all your fatigue anyway via Smoochie.

You can always talk to each other. Offering support to other members of the group will generally trigger the guide and comfort move.
1. I have to say it: Yaaay for Smoochie!

2. Bamboo tried to initiate the move guide and comfort with O-Ren but I don't think she responded so... I think initiation is not enough; "it takes two to tango." =)

3. I think we are lucky to have jaydude jaydude as GM. Here we are learning a new gaming system and not only are you explaining, but you are adding a helpful hand by transforming our intentions into gaming moves that'll help our party. I think that is kind of you, Jay!

3. I think we are lucky to have jaydude jaydude as GM. Here we are learning a new gaming system and not only are you explaining, but you are adding a helpful hand by transforming our intentions into gaming moves that'll help our party. I think that is kind of you, Jay!
I mean, that is pretty much how this system works. You have your characters do stuff, I decide what moves they trigger, if any.

Bamboo is quite open to helping both O-Ren and Liu. =)
Go ahead and make a post of him talking to them then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back