• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
jaydude jaydude I didn't get an alert for your in-game post and have just now discovered it (checking in to see). =)

jaydude jaydude Forgive me, but I stopped reading your last here: "So yeah, bit of a spoiler for Dannigan. This right here is combustionbending, first seen in episode 5 "

Please stop. I am serious.

No more spoilers. Please.

I am certain my moderate-to-severe Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (which really should be "Variability" instead of "Deficit") is playing a large role here. I can't stand sudden spoilers, Jaydude. Not in stories I am invested in. For stories I am not invested in, have at! I'm not invested in say, Pokemon, so have at! But I do like being asked first, "Dann, do you mind a spoiler about <insert story here>?" That is a wonderful way of telling me there is a potential "landmine" in the road ahead of us.

This is not your fault because I am certain you did not mean it, but... I am *still* getting over "Toph hasn't invented Metalbending yet." Why? Because I can't get it out of my head! And that was posted at the very beginning of our game (again, a product of my brain's damaged ability to perform executive functions like, "forget that. That's not useful."

Here is where I am right now: If I want to know, I'll ask. Otherwise, I will stop at the first sign of a spoiler and attempt to forget what I've just read (which is what I'm doing at this very moment). As with friends of mine in my present and past, I give you benefit of the doubt in presuming your intentions are only friendly with sharing in mind. Except my mind doesn't work like most everyone else's. Most everyone else who has watched Avatar got to discover Toph's Metalbending for themselves. During the scenes where she makes this happen, they got to enjoy the surprise, the suspense, and the wonder - all three terrific tools of Avatar's delighful storytelling! - which are blunted if not outright nullified for a guy like me as when I watched the scene, I knew she would be successful because "Toph hasn't invented Metalbending yet."

So much for surprise! Goodbye suspense! Wonder takes a walk and does not return! At least for me. I care about this story. Nearly everyone else got to see this scene and enjoy it. Not me. I can't seem to get the words out of my head (I've tried); my brain doesn't often work that way. So instead of seeing and enjoying the scene, part of me is literally pissed off (not uneasy, not just disappointed) because I don't get to discover the scene with this really neat character (one whom Psychie likes so much, she named her Broadsword character after her so this Toph must be something!) who has been captured by the capable pair of bounty hunters her father has set out after her.

Nope! She very likely gets free. All on her own. Because "Toph hasn't invented Metalbending yet."

This is especially difficult on days like today where my migraines have come a'calling and my ability to guide my mind is lessened. And - to be crystal clear - you are to blame for none of this - as long as you actively stop sending spoilers my way. Spoil it for the others if they are willing. And thank you for putting that information into a spoiler! That was like a "caution sign" on my highway and a very useful one at that! =)

So, ask me?

Jay, you're great! I really enjoy gaming with you!

But if I want to know, I will ask you, buddy. =)

jaydude jaydude Forgive me, but I stopped reading your last here: "So yeah, bit of a spoiler for Dannigan. This right here is combustionbending, first seen in episode 5 "

Please stop. I am serious.

No more spoilers. Please.

I am certain my moderate-to-severe Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (which really should be "Variability" instead of "Deficit") is playing a large role here. I can't stand sudden spoilers, Jaydude. Not in stories I am invested in. For stories I am not invested in, have at! I'm not invested in say, Pokemon, so have at! But I do like being asked first, "Dann, do you mind a spoiler about <insert story here>?" That is a wonderful way of telling me there is a potential "landmine" in the road ahead of us.

This is not your fault because I am certain you did not mean it, but... I am *still* getting over "Toph hasn't invented Metalbending yet." Why? Because I can't get it out of my head! And that was posted at the very beginning of our game (again, a product of my brain's damaged ability to perform executive functions like, "forget that. That's not useful."

Here is where I am right now: If I want to know, I'll ask. Otherwise, I will stop at the first sign of a spoiler and attempt to forget what I've just read (which is what I'm doing at this very moment). As with friends of mine in my present and past, I give you benefit of the doubt in presuming your intentions are only friendly with sharing in mind. Except my mind doesn't work like most everyone else's. Most everyone else who has watched Avatar got to discover Toph's Metalbending for themselves. During the scenes where she makes this happen, they got to enjoy the surprise, the suspense, and the wonder - all three terrific tools of Avatar's delighful storytelling! - which are blunted if not outright nullified for a guy like me as when I watched the scene, I knew she would be successful because "Toph hasn't invented Metalbending yet."

So much for surprise! Goodbye suspense! Wonder takes a walk and does not return! At least for me. I care about this story. Nearly everyone else got to see this scene and enjoy it. Not me. I can't seem to get the words out of my head (I've tried); my brain doesn't often work that way. So instead of seeing and enjoying the scene, part of me is literally pissed off (not uneasy, not just disappointed) because I don't get to discover the scene with this really neat character (one whom Psychie likes so much, she named her Broadsword character after her so this Toph must be something!) who has been captured by the capable pair of bounty hunters her father has set out after her.

Nope! She very likely gets free. All on her own. Because "Toph hasn't invented Metalbending yet."

This is especially difficult on days like today where my migraines have come a'calling and my ability to guide my mind is lessened. And - to be crystal clear - you are to blame for none of this - as long as you actively stop sending spoilers my way. Spoil it for the others if they are willing. And thank you for putting that information into a spoiler! That was like a "caution sign" on my highway and a very useful one at that! =)

So, ask me?

Jay, you're great! I really enjoy gaming with you!

But if I want to know, I will ask you, buddy. =)
Right. Apologies. Will do in future.

Thank you! Can I put more hearts on your reply?

This is the only thing I do not like about your Game Mastering style. Just so you know, I really like how you communicate, your patience is marvelous, as is your ability to put in Lore and rules in a way that helps us without spoiling the game, and I very much enjoy how you so easily get to your point whether it be in OOC or IC. Plus, it's clear you love Avatar too! Thanks again for having me in this special game of yours, Jay, and for letting me game with you! =)

Thanks. For what it's worth, I'm probably going to be kicking myself over this - forgetting your distaste for spoilers - for a while. And no more spoilers of any sort.

Also, if you don't want to continue this current scene because of future spoilers, you can totally have Bamboo and Smoochie back off from taking on the messenger and haul ass to Fort Tongdao. You all might end up exhausted, but odds are that you'll be able to outpace them.

Hi!

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie

Short version: I am thinking of having Smoochie dodge and fly alongside the lizard creature offering O-Ren and Liu avenues of attack. What do you think?

Sometimes my characters and I have "conversations" in my brain. After reading most of Jay's in-game post yesterday, today's conversation went like this:

Me: "Well, what do you want them to do?"

"Bamboo": "I would like for them to stop shooting fire at Smoochie. I'm feeling guilty enough as it is since her last injury and O-Ren isn't in top form either. It's a shame we didn't have our talk."

Me: "Yeah. Well, they're not going to stop shooting just because you ask politely, right? What do you want to do?"

B: "I don't know what to do. I want them to stop and talk so no one gets hurt, but that is not going to happen. I don't want to fight, but if I have to... I have to stop them. Especially for the sake of the Earth Kingdom. If we fly away, the Fire Nation will be that much more effective when they attack. I don't want that either."

Me: "So, how do you plan on stopping this fast-moving feiry patrol they've got?"

B: "I guess I would ask Smoochie to drop down full-speed and do a giant belly-flop on the lizard. That would probably stop them from moving. Stopping the lizard is key because that's their fast mode of transportation."

Me: "I think that's a good move because you'll get 3 for 1. If the Fire Nation people jump off the lizard, the lizard may just keep going and leave them in the dust. Assuming it can move after being belly-flopped on by a Sky Bison. And if the Fire Nation people hang on, they get sandwiched. I wouldn't want to be them."

B: "I don't like being any of us right now. There's so much violence."

Me: "I don't like violence either, but thankfully this is a game and that means action and no one's really getting hurt. Well, how about if you let your two teammates do the violence while you support them? You're much happier in that role anyway. Besides, I think it would be good if they got more screen time. They've been pretty quiet recently."

B: "Yes, I guess so. Whatever gets them to stop shooting fire at Smoochie is terrific by me."

Me: "Let's go with plan B then."

B: "All right."

Just another day in the life in Dannigan's brain! Ha ha! Wheee =)

We can give it a try, but I have a feeling that Smoochie will be the target of the firebenders on the lizard-thing. Just so long as you can dodge we can be ok.

We can give it a try, but I have a feeling that Smoochie will be the target of the firebenders on the lizard-thing. Just so long as you can dodge we can be ok.
That is my plan (Evade and Observe)! =)

jaydude jaydude Good luck in your other Avatar game! To start up two games? You're probably the biggest Avatar fan I know! =)

That is my plan (Evade and Observe)! =)
It doesn't quite work like that, I'm afraid. If you want to fly Smoochie close enough for the other two to attack, you'll need to use Seize a Position, a Defend and Maneuver Basic Technique. I'll assume that Bamboo's doing his best to evade any incoming fire if he takes that approach though.

jaydude jaydude Good luck in your other Avatar game! To start up two games? You're probably the biggest Avatar fan I know! =)
Yeah, I am a pretty big fan. ;)

It doesn't quite work like that, I'm afraid. If you want to fly Smoochie close enough for the other two to attack, you'll need to use Seize a Position, a Defend and Maneuver Basic Technique. I'll assume that Bamboo's doing his best to evade any incoming fire if he takes that approach though.
Ah! I see the logic in that. Thanks for pointing it out. =)

I'm assuming you still want to follow my suggestion of using Seize a Position to get Smoochie in close to the eel-hound, yes? I rolled you an eight on your stance move, so you can go ahead and do just that. The eel-hound duo meanwhile will be going with Advance and Attack. Let me know if you're okay with this.
I iz O.K. wif dis! =)

Okay. I'm heading off to bed now; I'll resolve the exchange tomorrow.

Eel-hound duo attempt to use Seize a Position to escape the battle. Bamboo could mark 1-fatigue in order to keep Smoochie close by if his player wished, but that's probably not going to be necessary here.
That would bring Bamboo to 5 Fatigue.

Without Bamboo's help, Liu Bing would probably find herself clinging to the side or tail of the eel-hound. Thanks to the boost provided by the Waterbender monk's bending however, she lands right on the beast's back, between the rider and the combustionbender. Both of them yell in surprise at this sudden arrival.
Woo and hooray! I'm so glad I had Bamboo do that! =)

And with that, I'm going to bring this sequence of exchanges to a close, on the basis that Liu Bing can probably deal with the two riders by herself from her current position. Sherwood Sherwood , go ahead and dispatch your foes as you see fit.
This combat system confuses me. jaydude jaydude Are you "fast-forwarding" as it were because both riders just can't take on Liu Bing or what is taking place? I mean, we just went from nearly getting wiped (another one of those combustion blasts, two at most, and with what little knowledge I have, I thought we'd be done for. Now, Liu Bing alone (since she's in a good spot and with her Skills alone) can drop these two without any help? That's really cool and all - no complaints! - I just think it's going to be awhile before I really figure out how this game system, however enjoyable it is, works! =)

Apologies for the delayed reply; I got somewhat carried away with playing Civilization 6.

This combat system confuses me. Are you "fast-forwarding" as it were because both riders just can't take on Liu Bing or what is taking place? I mean, we just went from nearly getting wiped (another one of those combustion blasts, two at most, and with what little knowledge I have, I thought we'd be done for. Now, Liu Bing alone (since she's in a good spot and with her Skills alone) can drop these two without any help? That's really cool and all - no complaints! - I just think it's going to be awhile before I really figure out how this game system, however enjoyable it is, works! =)
To an extent, yes, I'm judging this fight to be pretty much over right now. The only thing the two riders really have going for them is that combustionbender's explosive ability, and as I'm sure you can guess, it's not exactly safe to use that on someone within arm's reach. And yeah, the combustionbender could still shoot at Bamboo, Smoochie and O-Ren, but I can't imagine Liu Bing not putting up a struggle to prevent that. And while the two riders could try and throw Liu Bing off their mount, that's time, focus and effort not spent dealing with the pair on the flying bison, who would presumably use the opportunity to get back in close and support their companion.

Considering all of this, and the fact that Player Characters in this game are above average in terms of fighting ability, I didn't think the outcome of this confrontation was open to much doubt, at which point you're basically encouraged as GM to just wrap it up, rather than prolong it.

I will admit that there was also a personal reason behind my decision. I know how much you dislike spoilers, and I already feel like I boobed when I revealed the existence of combustionbending before you had the chance to see it in the show. Considering that, and the fact that the encounter might have led to you learning more canon knowledge outside of the show, I thought it best to try and resolve this moment before such a thing could happen.

Apologies for the delayed reply; I got somewhat carried away with playing Civilization 6.
What?! Do you mean you're a gamer on top of being a role player? Who does that?! =)

jaydude jaydude You are so thoughtful! Thank you!

For what it's worth, I think I am... five episodes Into the Fire Book?

"Moar Avatar-watchin'! Moaaar!"
-Powerpaw the Hammer

That's odd then. I remember you mentioning that and I don't know of "combustion-bending" except for here. Perhaps I am on Episode 4?

Time will tell! =) I should watch more and find out! Heh! =)

That's odd then. I remember you mentioning that and I don't know of "combustion-bending" except for here. Perhaps I am on Episode 4?

Time will tell! =) I should watch more and find out! Heh! =)
What do you remember regarding the last episode of the show you watched?

jaydude jaydude
Prince Zuko being forgiven by his father, the Fire Lord, who thinks Zuko slew the Avatar. Zuko confronting his sister who gave him credit for killing the Avatar and asking why.

Aang and Katara teaching Fire Nation kids how to dance and then getting caught, but the Fire Nation kids covering for them when their Elders investigate their island party.

I'm probably on, like Episode 3, aren't I? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back