• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I watched the Invasion (parts 1 and 2) tonight and was blown away. All of the characters remain so very true to themselves and are thus easy to believe in. =)
Did you have a feeling that the invasion wasn't going to be the show's endgame, given it was only ten episodes into the season.

I was saddened when I saw that Mako's name was no longer under the voice acting credits for Uncle. Mako was highly inspirational to a lot of people long before Avatar: The Last Airbender. Like James Hong, Bruce Lee, and George Takei, Mako helped bring a special humanity to Asian-American actors back when there were few. Back when most were being stereotyped on television. One great example is the Kung Fu series starring Italian-American actor David Carradine. Kwai Chang Caine (Carradine's character) was half-Chinese, half-Caucasian as (reportedly) the TV producers of the day did not think that America was ready for a full-blooded Asian in the lead role.

Mako helped to break such bonds. I imagine he was immensely proud to be a part of Avatar. =)
I don't know if you're aware, but George Takei also did voice work for the show (he's the prison warden in Imprisoned). He's also got a role in the upcoming Netflix live-action adaptation.

I'm naturally familiar with Bruce Lee, not so much with Mako outside of the show. I do get that he's generally considered cool though; what you said just adds to his coolness.

Also, the episode after that former Prince Zuko has arrived to try and convince the Aang Gang to let him in and teach Aang firebending. As always, one of the gang (Toph, this time) comes away with some solid wisdom brought about in part by her ability to detect lies. I'm convinced Zuko has turned over a new leaf, but of course, the Aang Gang rightly has their doubts. I feel Katara's deadly warning to Zuko is no idle threat.

Zuko has a long way to go but I admire him for finding his own destiny. In Real Life, I've only met a handful of people who really do. I can say from firsthand experience that it's worth it. Trust yourself. Learn about yourself. Like yourself. Love yourself for all of your gifts and warts. Make peace with your past and appreciate every day you have left. This is one path to creating one's own destiny. Zuko, a fictional character, is on this path after sacrificing much. I hope he and Uncle Iroh meet up again and Uncle gets to see Zuko as he is now! =)
Yeah, he's still got a ways to go, but at least he's on the right path now.

But the biggest surprise to me of all... Combustion Man... combusted!! They showed his prosthetic arm/claw fall away without the man attached - I think he's dead! Whoa!! The story laid out how it happened very, very well - but I did not expect him to meet his end!
Really glad that I didn't spoil that bit for you in the game.

Oh! Thanks for the Well-written, Jay! That feels good! 8D
No problem. You earned it.

Did you have a feeling that the invasion wasn't going to be the show's endgame, given it was only ten episodes into the season.
Yes! In the DVD collection, they are episodes 2 and 3 on disc 8 of 9 - that means there's plenty of story left.

I don't know if you're aware, but George Takei also did voice work for the show (he's the prison warden in Imprisoned). He's also got a role in the upcoming Netflix live-action adaptation.
Yes! He plays a bad guy for once! I've never seen them in the role. I was delighted!

I'm naturally familiar with Bruce Lee, not so much with Mako outside of the show. I do get that he's generally considered cool though; what you said just adds to his coolness.
Look up Mako on imdb.com? I'll give you an idea of what he did (and for how long he was at it). =)

Really glad that I didn't spoil that bit for you in the game.
YES! *hugs*

No problem. You earned it.
Cat Kitten GIF by MOODMAN

I just finished watching The Boiling Rock (all parts). Spoiler time!

While I couldn't be happier that Sokka and Zuko saved both Suki and Sokka's dad from the volcano prison (and ruined the Warden's flawless record by escaping!), I am blown away that Mai helped at all. I'm blown away further that Ty Lee intervened when Mai was about to face off
with Azula!

Ty Lee has always seemed like a decent person that Azula forced into helping, but that Mai loves Zuko more than she fears Azula? That's gotta hit Azula hard (I mean, she's a jerk and she'll get over it because it's all about her, but she's still human). I can't help but wonder what'll happen to Mai and Ty Lee. They're selfish in their own ways (willing to harm others for their own personal pleasure), but I've never thought of them as evil. Azula on the other hand? She fits that mark all too well. And as for The Fire Lord? I'll just wait and see!

I also watched The Southern Raiders where Katara and Zuko go off together (there's something I thought I'd never see!) to go and give Katara the chance to take revenge on the (now-retired) Fire Nation officer who murdered Katata and Sokka's mom ("Kya" if memory serves?). That ended about as well as one could imagine.

All the while I'm watching this, I'm thinking back to our role-playing game here. GamerNerdz has mailed my Avatar RPG book and dice my way and I hope to receive it soon. After having played in this game with you, Jaydude, I remain convinced you understand both Avatar the series and what I understand of Avatar the RPG and you play with the spirit of both. =)

Thanks for that! =)

I just finished watching The Boiling Rock (all parts). Spoiler time!

While I couldn't be happier that Sokka and Zuko saved both Suki and Sokka's dad from the volcano prison (and ruined the Warden's flawless record by escaping!), I am blown away that Mai helped at all. I'm blown away further that Ty Lee intervened when Mai was about to face off
with Azula!

Ty Lee has always seemed like a decent person that Azula forced into helping, but that Mai loves Zuko more than she fears Azula? That's gotta hit Azula hard (I mean, she's a jerk and she'll get over it because it's all about her, but she's still human). I can't help but wonder what'll happen to Mai and Ty Lee. They're selfish in their own ways (willing to harm others for their own personal pleasure), but I've never thought of them as evil. Azula on the other hand? She fits that mark all too well. And as for The Fire Lord? I'll just wait and see!

I also watched The Southern Raiders where Katara and Zuko go off together (there's something I thought I'd never see!) to go and give Katara the chance to take revenge on the (now-retired) Fire Nation officer who murdered Katata and Sokka's mom ("Kya" if memory serves?). That ended about as well as one could imagine.

All the while I'm watching this, I'm thinking back to our role-playing game here. GamerNerdz has mailed my Avatar RPG book and dice my way and I hope to receive it soon. After having played in this game with you, Jaydude, I remain convinced you understand both Avatar the series and what I understand of Avatar the RPG and you play with the spirit of both. =)

Thanks for that! =)
Only five episodes left. Let us know when you're done and what you think.

Count on it! =)

EDIT: As always, I don't want it to end! And yet, I want to know how it all ends. Oh, the power of wonder! =)

I watched the Avatar where the Aang Gang goes to see the play about them! Hah! Whomever did the play really did their homework (and I love the mention of one of those folks being a cabbage merchant! Hah!).

While it was a fun episode, I was even more delighted by seeing Tara Strong's name in the credits! She is my favorite voice actor! =)

jaydude jaydude Wow! I have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender to the end. =)

Amazing! Especially the music, the character interaction, and the pacing.

Aang tried his best to ask his friends for the answer. Then he sought inside of himself the wisdom he lacked. Even with his past Avatars, he could come no closer to his own solution. And then the very land itself, in the form of a Lion Turtle, provided not only the answer, but the very technique Aang required to defeat Fire Lord Ozai. When the land itself is against you, there is no safe place to stand.

I wonder if Ozai would have kept up with his plan had he knew such beings as this Lion Turtle were against him? Probably, given his mad ambition, but... I can't help but feel sad for both he and Azula. I feel more hope for Azula because no matter what, she knows that there is someone in the world who truly loves her despite her mistakes - her mother. But Ozai? If Prince Zuko's endless desire to have his father's love was not enough to show Ozai the power of love and compassion, what could?

Times like these, I wish the world were more like the worlds we create - like Avatar. I wish people were more good than selfish. I wish people were more idealistic and compassionate. And yet, I must forget for awhile what the TV, Internet, and gossip-mongers would have rule over me and instead, like Aang, continue to seek my own answers in life.

I can create my own love by starting with me. I can share that love by being as at peace with myself as is reasonable and display it with others. I can find my own happiness by climbing towards it. These things I have done for years and I am a different man because of it.

How wonderful the power of fantasy! How delightful the realms of make-believe! May such stories continue to guide us and remind us that the children inside of us are always there, waiting for some goodness, for some sharing, and for a really good series of stories like Avatar. I may have discovered Avatar with everyone's help here long after the series was concluded, but I can say that I have added it to my life now. Through you, my friends, I have found yet one more thing in life to love. A gift, one might say, from you to me!

What could be better than to cherish the gifts of friends? Perhaps the sharing of such goodness with others. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

When the land itself is against you, there is no safe place to stand.
I love this quote in particular. Plus, it reminds me of a nice line of dialogue from Shadow of Kyoshi.

I feel more hope for Azula because no matter what, she knows that there is someone in the world who truly loves her despite her mistakes - her mother.
You might want to check out The Search then (though I'd personally recommend all of the comics if you want more tales of Aang and his friends). Also, I won't lie; part of me was kinda looking forward to you finding out that Azula doesn't make it through the series with her mental health intact.

I love this quote in particular. Plus, it reminds me of a nice line of dialogue from Shadow of Kyoshi.
Thank you! =) It just feels right to say.

I could not help but wonder what the Lion Turtle's story was. In AD&D/1st Edition, there were the terrifying Dragon Turtles in Oriental Adventures but that Lion Turtle has them all beat! Plus... how did the Lion Turtle come by that technique? That it was strong enough to influence the Avatar was something else.

You might want to check out The Search then (though I'd personally recommend all of the comics if you want more tales of Aang and his friends). Also, I won't lie; part of me was kinda looking forward to you finding out that Azula doesn't make it through the series with her mental health intact.
I thought the signs of her cracking were disturbing yet honest, but that her loss seemingly took her over the edge was... very in-character for her (and her mom appearing with her love was just pure gold on the part of the writers). I am kind of glad we didn't get to see her in the prison cell next to ol' dad; I can't imagine that would be a pretty sight for either of them.

Come to think of it, it looks like both Aang and Azula had their fair share of paranormal experiences!

I could not help but wonder what the Lion Turtle's story was. In AD&D/1st Edition, there were the terrifying Dragon Turtles in Oriental Adventures but that Lion Turtle has them all beat! Plus... how did the Lion Turtle come by that technique? That it was strong enough to influence the Avatar was something else.
You'll get some answers - to a degree - in Legend of Korra. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back