• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Forbidden Scroll OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Sesi has no real plans here, this seems like it may be the way out to them. If this falls through they will see about their White Lotus connections.

Hmmm... either of these moves presumes we head to the family compound from the way these moves read. Family territory would be outside the fire lord's I presume, so at best there'd be the equivalent to a vacation home here.

Hmmm... either of these moves presumes we head to the family compound from the way these moves read. Family territory would be outside the fire lord's I presume, so at best there'd be the equivalent to a vacation home here.
I was envisioning more that you could find an important member of the family in the capital for whatever reason. Perhaps they have business there, or just decided to attend the festival. From there you could either talk to them directly, or help one of the Fire Finches pickpocket them.

Would really prefer not to target family with that approach. Quite a significant break from character.
Cool. Is there any circumstance in which Zaran would be comfortable robbing from his family? Or would you rather he only use humble yourself ?

Cool. Is there any circumstance in which Zaran would be comfortable robbing from his family?
Not that I can think of. It's definitely not a direction I'd want to take the character down as the player either.
Or would you rather he only use humble yourself ?
I suppose I don't have much choice. Then again, I see Zaran as more traditionally centered whereas the more pro-war advocates would be seen as more progress centered. Even if filial piety to the Fire Lord is also traditional in a sense. Not like everyone uses the same Balance paradigm anyway.

You can absolutely have there be a high ranker in the family who's sympathetic to Zaran's views, if that's what you want. This system allows players to have a fair bit of creative input when it's for the sake of the story.

"We can find a way to make ends meet." Zaran replied. "I may have to impose upon some connections though."
So, how do you want to go about this? I'm thinking something along the lines of Zaran going somewhere in the city where he knows a sympathetic and powerful member of his lineage to be, getting a private meeting with them, and then humbling himself before them during it.

Also, fair warning, you will have to roll 2D6 to decide whether or not Zaran succeeds, with a failure getting him cut off from the lineage's resources. Also, it's a roll that relies on Zaran's balance, and since that's currently in the middle, he won't get any modifiers for it.

So, how do you want to go about this? I'm thinking something along the lines of Zaran going somewhere in the city where he knows a sympathetic and powerful member of his lineage to be, getting a private meeting with them, and then humbling himself before them during it.

Also, fair warning, you will have to roll 2D6 to decide whether or not Zaran succeeds, with a failure getting him cut off from the lineage's resources. Also, it's a roll that relies on Zaran's balance, and since that's currently in the middle, he won't get any modifiers for it.
I think Zaran's retired Grandfather and Grandmother probably maintain an estate in the city for the sake of communications with peer houses and such. Keeps himself moderately busy in a relaxed station while the current head manages the clan from their ancestral home.

I think Zaran's retired Grandfather and Grandmother probably maintain an estate in the city for the sake of communications with peer houses and such. Keeps himself moderately busy in a relaxed station while the current head manages the clan from their ancestral home.
Something I think you should be mindful of is that the rich and important Fire Nation families - a category which Clan Daishu easily falls into - tend to live back up in the caldera. Just travelling there would likely run down the clock. Then again, it might just be that your grandparents decided to grab a nice townhouse in Harbour City and live around the commoners, for whatever reason.

Also, I do feel that we should touch base in regards to Clan Daishu. Like, what form of "rich and important family" do you imagine them to be here?

Bump for Rykon Rykon here.

Also, fair warning, but I'm going to be out of the country on holiday next week, and I don't know what I'll have in terms of wi-fi. So this game might go on hiatus during that time.

Also, fair warning, but I'm going to be out of the country on holiday next week, and I don't know what I'll have in terms of wi-fi. So this game might go on hiatus during that time.
Have a safe trip!

Sorry bout that, thought I had responded and I've been a bit swamped lately.

In my mind, I'd see the elderly wanting to live in a more level area rather than having to be at higher elevation for the sake of it. Up until this point, the Daishu family has been a military house and has not cared about "High Society" concerns until somewhat recently. So I'd expect more pragmatic attitudes from his grandparents, then say from his Aunt who wants them to act more like typical nobility.

Sorry bout that, thought I had responded and I've been a bit swamped lately.

In my mind, I'd see the elderly wanting to live in a more level area rather than having to be at higher elevation for the sake of it. Up until this point, the Daishu family has been a military house and has not cared about "High Society" concerns until somewhat recently. So I'd expect more pragmatic attitudes from his grandparents, then say from his Aunt who wants them to act more like typical nobility.
It's cool. And yeah, that makes sense.

One thing you might want to keep in mind though - and I'm not saying you haven't so far - is that at this point in Fire Nation history, power and authority is pretty much centralized around the Fire Lord, and the time when noble houses like Clan Daishu could have their own domains and private armies is long over. In this context, I would envision a lineage with "Military Command" as the source of their power having a number of distinguished generals, admirals and war heroes within the family tree, most of whom would have had major roles in enabling the Fire Nation's expansion over the last century.

It's cool. And yeah, that makes sense.

One thing you might want to keep in mind though - and I'm not saying you haven't so far - is that at this point in Fire Nation history, power and authority is pretty much centralized around the Fire Lord, and the time when noble houses like Clan Daishu could have their own domains and private armies is long over. In this context, I would envision a lineage with "Military Command" as the source of their power having a number of distinguished generals, admirals and war heroes within the family tree, most of whom would have had major roles in enabling the Fire Nation's expansion over the last century.
This is more or less what I've been considering. Since the warlords were brought under the Fire Lord, clan Daishu should be the type you'd expect to regularly send their kids to military academies across the generations to become officers and capable combatants to serve the nation as a whole. Some might hold posts toward the front lines, while others could be taking up roles as domestic guards doing police work and investigations. Regardless, there would be a lot of momentum behind loyalty to the state, authorities, and recent policies.

Zaran should be grappling with the philosophical conflict of whether they serve the state (or more broadly the people), or the authorities of the state (ie. the Fire Lord and his appointed leaders). Then there's the whole acting for the moment versus acting for the future dilemma at play also. Suffice to say, finding common ground with others in his clan will be a challenge.

This is more or less what I've been considering. Since the warlords were brought under the Fire Lord, clan Daishu should be the type you'd expect to regularly send their kids to military academies across the generations to become officers and capable combatants to serve the nation as a whole. Some might hold posts toward the front lines, while others could be taking up roles as domestic guards doing police work and investigations. Regardless, there would be a lot of momentum behind loyalty to the state, authorities, and recent policies.

Zaran should be grappling with the philosophical conflict of whether they serve the state (or more broadly the people), or the authorities of the state (ie. the Fire Lord and his appointed leaders). Then there's the whole acting for the moment versus acting for the future dilemma at play also. Suffice to say, finding common ground with others in his clan will be a challenge.
That's certainly an interesting take on it. What would you envision as the difference between serving the Fire Lord and serving the people?

That's certainly an interesting take on it. What would you envision as the difference between serving the Fire Lord and serving the people?
On the surface, it's a very subtle distinction and one not often dwelt upon in great detail in modern days. For us in the States, the concept was a big deal for the American Revolution where people had to decide whether they would act on the will of the King, or act for the interest of the people (their families, neighbors, etc.) just to cite a real-world historical example of what that can look like.

Serving the Fire Lord is obeying his orders, and protecting his person and his image even if doing so happens at the expense of the people.

Serving the people is protecting the people's safety, livelihood, and interests even if doing so goes against the will of the Fire Lord.

You ask a soldier, "Who do you serve?" you might hear "The Fire Lord" or "The Fire Nation" but even still the distinction is subtle enough they may not know the true answer themselves unless put to the test.

Even still, the will of the Fire Lord is going to be interpreted more consistently than what several different people might claim is for the best interest of the people.

On the surface, it's a very subtle distinction and one not often dwelt upon in great detail in modern days. For us in the States, the concept was a big deal for the American Revolution where people had to decide whether they would act on the will of the King, or act for the interest of the people (their families, neighbors, etc.) just to cite a real-world historical example of what that can look like.

Serving the Fire Lord is obeying his orders, and protecting his person and his image even if doing so happens at the expense of the people.

Serving the people is protecting the people's safety, livelihood, and interests even if doing so goes against the will of the Fire Lord.

You ask a soldier, "Who do you serve?" you might hear "The Fire Lord" or "The Fire Nation" but even still the distinction is subtle enough they may not know the true answer themselves unless put to the test.

Even still, the will of the Fire Lord is going to be interpreted more consistently than what several different people might claim is for the best interest of the people.
Okay, though I don't know how much of a distinction there would be between the will of Ozai and the will of his people. Most of them have spent generations swallowing the propaganda of him, Azulon and Sozin, and thus they're convinced that the Fire Nation conquering the world is in their best interests. That said, people who aren't doing so well - such as the Fire Finches - might be less inclined towards Ozai spending his budget on world domination.

In any event, do you want to go and meet with Rini first, or resolve the Humble Yourself move with your grandparents?

In any event, do you want to go and meet with Rini first, or resolve the Humble Yourself move with your grandparents?
If we weren't at a fairly high heat level from the recent confrontation I'd say grandparents, but because we have a "recent sighting" hanging over our heads I think meeting with Rini first is the most rational move to me. Gives the authorities time to wonder where we are.

Rykon Rykon
You want to go ahead and make your roll for Humble Yourself? I'll let you do the writeup if you like, otherwise I can handle it.

Alright, so this is basically a flat roll then...

Hot damn, got an 11. From what I'm reading we mechanically acquire resources 3, and we can now determine how that plays out narratively, sound about right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back