• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Its ok. We all get that way sometimes.
With ADD folks, I think it's because of our problems with just basic executive functions that some of us have real trouble going to sleep and waking up. Just yesterday, it was very unusual, but it took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get from waking up from sleep to being able to safely get out of bed. I've always added time between the act of waking and rising; I guess today, even with the coffee, my ability to communicate seems clear (if wordy) - it's just my ability to focus and not be groggy is down a touch. I wonder if it has anything to do with the full moon/huge eclipse we had last night? We had lots of pressure systems and storms too.

I'm rambling! Heh!

I'll come back to this when I'm clearer-headed. Love y'all! Thanks for being friends! =)

Growth Calculation Time!

So, a brief explanation on how this works. At the end of each session, each of you have to answer the following questions, earning a point of "Growth" for each one you can say yes to:
  • Did you learn something challenging, exciting, or complicated about the world?
  • Did you stop a dangerous threat or solve a community problem?
  • Did you guide a character towards balance or end the session at your center?
I don't know if any of you can say yes to the first question, but you can certainly debate this if you like. You can all say yes to the second one though, due to dealing with the Fire Nation soldiers and protecting the resistance. O-Ren and Bamboo can answer the third question with yes, but not Liu; her balance is at +2 Control.

Did you learn something challenging, exciting, or complicated about the world?​

This question is all about learning interesting things! As long as a PC learned something challenging, or something exciting, or something complicated—not necessarily all three—their answer to this question is a yes. Unsurprisingly, you will probably answer yes to this question nearly every session; the whole point of the game is to have fun and interesting adventures!

“Challenging, exciting, or complicated” is a broad set of ideas designed to aim players at thinking about whether or not their characters learned something that expands their view of the world. If a PC “learned” something completely in-line with their expectations or beliefs…they didn’t really learn anything, did they? Push past the ordinary experiences of day-to-day adventuring if you want to earn a growth from this question.

“About the world” also means that the scope of what the character learned can be pretty varied. Learning that a loved one betrayed them is a kind of “learning about the world,” as much as learning that not all Fire Nation citizens are evil is a kind of “learning about the world.” You can also learn more about your own place in the world; discovering that your character wasn’t willing to join a rebellion against an unjust ruler because they feared what the uprising would cost ordinary people is a good hint that you learned something new about your character and their values and goals.

In addition to the three questions above, each playbook has a unique question of its own:
  • Dannigan Dannigan and Bamboo: Did you accomplish a feat worthy of your burden and tradition? (I'll be generous and say that helping the resistance group - not to mention grabbing the Fire Nation Commander with Smoochie the way you did - counts as a yes.)
  • Psychie Psychie and O-Ren: Did you help a companion find a significant success with their issues, or lead the group in finding a significant collective success? (Had to think about this one a bit, but using somewhat similar logic to the above, I'll go ahead and say yes.)
  • Sherwood Sherwood and Liu Bing: Did you try to make amends for past mistakes, or prove you’re a different person now? (Yes.)
Based on these calculations, all of you have three points of growth right now. One more, and you'll be able to pick a growth advancement.

Dannigan Dannigan
Apologies, but there's something else I just remembered regarding Bamboo.

Seeing as you helped out the resistance during the previous session, you arguably upheld one of your role's responsibilities (Providing aid and succor to the downtrodden), and thus you get to clear a condition and shift your balance towards your Role principle.

Lots of thoughts here and some great jazz to listen to it with (if you are in the mood something smooth, mellow, and a little exotic). =)
"Cowboy Bebop OST 1 - Space Lion" with credit given to The Seatbelts and the marvelous Yoko Kanno for the Cowboy Bebop OST.

not to mention grabbing the Fire Nation Commander with Smoochie the way you did
That was fun! I genuinely learned a bit about Bamboo when this was taking place. I liked how this went down and how Bamboo was willing to harm himself (but not Smoochie!) to get the one enemy figure who he saw as key to the Fire Nation's victory or defeat on that field of battle.

Did you learn something challenging, exciting, or complicated about the world?

“About the world” also means that the scope of what the character learned can be pretty varied. Learning that a loved one betrayed them is a kind of “learning about the world,” as much as learning that not all Fire Nation citizens are evil is a kind of “learning about the world.” You can also learn more about your own place in the world; discovering that your character wasn’t willing to join a rebellion against an unjust ruler because they feared what the uprising would cost ordinary people is a good hint that you learned something new about your character and their values and goals.
I don't mean to sound like I'm fishing for a Growth point here - I think I'm more wanting to type out my feelings and share them with everyone because here at the end of this important scene in a game like this, it seems like the thing to do. GMs and PCs like me thrive on feedback and when playing tabletop (ADD folks are often very poor judges of their own inner workings depending on the subject at hand), I can learn what I need to know with a glance. Here? Not happening. So you get my written words instead. Plus, I like expressing myself and I'm in a mood to. So, here you go! =)

Well, there's what I learned which in turn ties into what Bamboo learned. I learned that I'm not really playing a character and concept I created solely using Avatar: The Last Airbender as foundation. About the time Bamboo was shouting peaceful and civil things back to Mako, I realize what I am playing is a Ko monk from my own world of Sharseya - it just so happens to seem to fit wonderfully in this world too, which delights me!

Bamboo is a wise yet naïve scholar raised in a remote jungle monastery with little to no contact with the outside world (much like the Ko monks of Sharseya when I think about it - add in the martial arts and I am "playing something that I know" and am very comfortable with). There are no battles between people in the Celestial Wildlands; it's far more a people vs. the environment (animals included) than people vs. people. So, to see two peoples willing to not just harm or capture, but to kill each other - it makes Bamboo see these people more like the animals of the wild but not in a good and natural way. A hungry alligator will kill you and everyone with you not because they're hungry, but because you're too close to her darned eggs and it's mating season! You're dead meat and she'll let you know it. He's used to that.

But this is something else - people willing to kill each other over ideals? What in the name of the heavens? They can't talk it out? They are literally willing to end each other and take away everything from each person they kill? Now, maybe that's something commonplace with the world at large, but I'm going to say that's something new to Bamboo. To be imprisoned in a Fire Nation cell as an enemy is one thing; to die because someone ordered you to kill someone else in the name of ideology; he's certainly read that it's possible, but to see it firsthand? He's a bit shocked by this.

Was it exciting? What could be more exciting than realizing these might be the last moments of these strangers below you or your new-found friends or beloved Sky Bison or even yourself! Challenging? To survive it? No. They could have easily flown away and left all to their own fates. But to do as you must in the face of death? Yes. I was different in Real Life after I helped save my first life; I'm a slightly changed person (happier) as a result. Now, here in this game, to do the right thing - getting the Fire Nation Commander out of the fight without harming him in the slightest (okay, looking back, his pride is in the hospital! Heh!), is quite the challenge. Complicated? Yes and no. Living creatures kill. It takes no skill to do it, but it happens every day, every hour. But to go into this with four members of their team only to leave with three - and leave behind the one who knew most of what they needed to know - well, it sure as heck doesn't make things easier for Bamboo.

Daytime travel gives you a chance to check out the geography of Tongdao province.
Beautiful pictures! Given that this is a cartoon universe, I imagine it's easier to find pictures of Real Life than fitting artwork. Still, those pictures... you can almost feel the breeze and just taste the crisp clean air!

Looking through a telescope,
We have a telescope? Great! How useful! Yes, please! 8D

Dannigan Dannigan
Apologies, but there's something else I just remembered regarding Bamboo.

Seeing as you helped out the resistance during the previous session, you arguably upheld one of your role's responsibilities (Providing aid and succor to the downtrodden), and thus you get to clear a condition and shift your balance towards your Role principle.
This is true. I think Bamboo going from being a free person all of his life to being a prisoner (along with Smoochie) has opened his eyes to the world a bit. And now this battle where he's had more opportunities to use his Refresh and holistic medicine than he'd ever think possible, and yes, he's not only learned something about the world but done right by himself and the Rainbow Children with his actions. But what else could he do? He is what he is! Heh! =)

"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!" - Popeye the Sailor Man and the cartoon-world's first original Waterbender! Hah! =)

Water Fix It GIF by Boomerang Official

I don't mean to sound like I'm fishing for a Growth point here - I think I'm more wanting to type out my feelings and share them with everyone because here at the end of this important scene in a game like this, it seems like the thing to do. GMs and PCs like me thrive on feedback and when playing tabletop (ADD folks are often very poor judges of their own inner workings depending on the subject at hand), I can learn what I need to know with a glance. Here? Not happening. So you get my written words instead. Plus, I like expressing myself and I'm in a mood to. So, here you go! =)

Well, there's what I learned which in turn ties into what Bamboo learned. I learned that I'm not really playing a character and concept I created solely using Avatar: The Last Airbender as foundation. About the time Bamboo was shouting peaceful and civil things back to Mako, I realize what I am playing is a Ko monk from my own world of Sharseya - it just so happens to seem to fit wonderfully in this world too, which delights me!

Bamboo is a wise yet naïve scholar raised in a remote jungle monastery with little to no contact with the outside world (much like the Ko monks of Sharseya when I think about it - add in the martial arts and I am "playing something that I know" and am very comfortable with). There are no battles between people in the Celestial Wildlands; it's far more a people vs. the environment (animals included) than people vs. people. So, to see two peoples willing to not just harm or capture, but to kill each other - it makes Bamboo see these people more like the animals of the wild but not in a good and natural way. A hungry alligator will kill you and everyone with you not because they're hungry, but because you're too close to her darned eggs and it's mating season! You're dead meat and she'll let you know it. He's used to that.

But this is something else - people willing to kill each other over ideals? What in the name of the heavens? They can't talk it out? They are literally willing to end each other and take away everything from each person they kill? Now, maybe that's something commonplace with the world at large, but I'm going to say that's something new to Bamboo. To be imprisoned in a Fire Nation cell as an enemy is one thing; to die because someone ordered you to kill someone else in the name of ideology; he's certainly read that it's possible, but to see it firsthand? He's a bit shocked by this.

Was it exciting? What could be more exciting than realizing these might be the last moments of these strangers below you or your new-found friends or beloved Sky Bison or even yourself! Challenging? To survive it? No. They could have easily flown away and left all to their own fates. But to do as you must in the face of death? Yes. I was different in Real Life after I helped save my first life; I'm a slightly changed person (happier) as a result. Now, here in this game, to do the right thing - getting the Fire Nation Commander out of the fight without harming him in the slightest (okay, looking back, his pride is in the hospital! Heh!), is quite the challenge. Complicated? Yes and no. Living creatures kill. It takes no skill to do it, but it happens every day, every hour. But to go into this with four members of their team only to leave with three - and leave behind the one who knew most of what they needed to know - well, it sure as heck doesn't make things easier for Bamboo.
When you put it like that, yeah, I think you can have another growth point. And with that, Bamboo's growth track is filled out!

Go ahead and pick out a growth advancement. As a reminder, here are all the possibilities you can pick from:
  • Take a new move from your playbook (You can only do this twice)
  • Take a new move from another playbook (You can only do this twice)
  • Raise a stat by +1 (maximum of +2 in any given stat)
  • Shift your center one step (You can only do this twice)
  • Unlock your Moment of Balance (You can only do this twice)

Wha? Oh, no way! 8D Thank you! Wasn't expecting that; I just had some coffee and I wanted to express myself! =)
  • Take a new move from another playbook (You can only do this twice)
I'd forgotten one could do this. I'll look into these and see if anything pops up that Bamboo would want for... as long as he is. Rawr!

Bamboo: "Hey, Smoochie! I think I learned something new! Isn't that great?"

Smoochie: "SLLLUUUURRRP!" =)

jaydude jaydude

Wow. This choice of a new Move suddenly got deep! I am finally between choosing one of two Moves:
1. The Prodigy - An Open Mind
You can learn techniques from other skills and trainings, as long as you have a teacher. You can learn up to three such techniques, total. Take a +1 on the training move to learn such techniques.
2. The Successor - Worldly Knowledge
Your upbringing expanded your horizons, skillsets, and contacts. Choose another training and another background.

But what in the world happens if I choose Worldly Knowledge for Bamboo? Choosing another Background is something I can adapt to (say, Bamboo learns that his mom comes from a Privileged family or his father left the Celestial Wildlands for a time and became an Outlaw for good reasons).

It's the Training that throws me. Now hold on, because this might get deep. =) I thought only the Avatar (in this case, Aang) could master more than one element? But I have reached a point in the story (see spoiler):

Toph (it's so odd to write that name and not think of Psychie's character in Broadsword! Heh!) has, by herself, while being imprisoned, created Metalbending! All on her own! Talk about whoa!

So this appears to say two things:
1. Aang the Avatar is the only one who can master all four elements.
2. Other highly-talented people can create offshoots of the basic four elements (like the desert people who use sandbending to get around).

This seems to imply that PCs can know more than one element via training? We are denied Airbending (as Aang is the Last Airbender). We are denied Metalbending (as it isn't around yet). If we choose another form of bending (Fire or Earth), does that throw the game off? Put another way, is Bamboo thus allowed to learn, say, Earthbending (as it's the only element available to us that we lack since Owl is not playing)?

Are there other elements (pun intended) of information that I'm missing here? What do you think, Jay?

Thank you, Your Psychieness! =)

I wanted for Bamboo to both get to copying the scroll and talking with O-Ren about her near-death experience, but it seems we've more Fire Nation jerk-faces who are up to something.

I wanted for Bamboo to both get to copying the scroll and talking with O-Ren about her near-death experience, but it seems we've more Fire Nation jerk-faces who are up to something.
You can go ahead and establish him as starting on the former in his downtime if you like; this game tends to emphasize playing moments where there's drama. As for the latter, you can absolutely do this at either the present moment, or write him as having done this during an earlier quiet moment. Either way, It'll most likely trigger the guide and comfort move

Concerning copying the Fire Nation coded message, consider it in-progress and high in priority!

As for chatting with Bamboo and O-Ren, Psychie Psychie what is your preference, lady? Do this scene in the present or as a separate "Earlier" scene or what? =)

jaydude jaydude

Wow. This choice of a new Move suddenly got deep! I am finally between choosing one of two Moves:
You can learn techniques from other skills and trainings, as long as you have a teacher. You can learn up to three such techniques, total. Take a +1 on the training move to learn such techniques.
Your upbringing expanded your horizons, skillsets, and contacts. Choose another training and another background.

But what in the world happens if I choose Worldly Knowledge for Bamboo? Choosing another Background is something I can adapt to (say, Bamboo learns that his mom comes from a Privileged family or his father left the Celestial Wildlands for a time and became an Outlaw for good reasons).

It's the Training that throws me. Now hold on, because this might get deep. =) I thought only the Avatar (in this case, Aang) could master more than one element? But I have reached a point in the story (see spoiler):

Toph (it's so odd to write that name and not think of Psychie's character in Broadsword! Heh!) has, by herself, while being imprisoned, created Metalbending! All on her own! Talk about whoa!

So this appears to say two things:
1. Aang the Avatar is the only one who can master all four elements.
2. Other highly-talented people can create offshoots of the basic four elements (like the desert people who use sandbending to get around).

This seems to imply that PCs can know more than one element via training? We are denied Airbending (as Aang is the Last Airbender). We are denied Metalbending (as it isn't around yet). If we choose another form of bending (Fire or Earth), does that throw the game off? Put another way, is Bamboo thus allowed to learn, say, Earthbending (as it's the only element available to us that we lack since Owl is not playing)?

Are there other elements (pun intended) of information that I'm missing here? What do you think, Jay?
You can't take more than one type of bending, so Bamboo picking earthbending is right out. Toph was able to develop metalbending because that's entirely rooted in earthbending; however much of a prodigy she is, she's never going to be able to firebend.

You can't take more than one type of bending, so Bamboo picking earthbending is right out. Toph was able to develop metalbending because that's entirely rooted in earthbending; however much of a prodigy she is, she's never going to be able to firebend.
Right! Good! I'm glad the game doesn't make that change from the series, but it's weird how they worded it in The Successor. Whew. =)

So... if the Successor Move were taken, the Training would be either Technology Expert or Hand to Hand Expert. I could be wrong in this, but (at this stage in the series), I see Prince Zuko as being both a Firebender and a Hand to Hand Expert (as the Blue Spirit, he's just cleaning house! Just like Jet!).

But the Core Book doesn't seem to go into much detail into what Tech Experts/Combat Technology and Hand to Hand Experts can do. In the case of Tech Experts, I can see that we don't have someone (like Sokka) who could just figure out things (like the Fire Nation's giant drill machine vs. Ba Sing Se in "The Drill" episode. But I'm not sure if I'm better off eventually trying to find teachers for three Techniques (via the Prodigy Move) or not.

So... what does Hand to Hand Expert bring to the table that our Characters can't do already?

If I'm reading the Core Book right, a Hand to Hand Expert is specifically a weapons expert? (Page 13 sidebar, bottom-right)

EDIT: Do weapons add traits or bonuses of some kind besides being role-playing tools?

Last edited:
If I'm reading the Core Book right, a Hand to Hand Expert is specifically a weapons expert? (Page 13 sidebar, bottom-right)
It's basically for any kind of combat that doesn't involve bending, traps or any equipment more complex than a melee weapon or a bow.

EDIT: Do weapons add traits or bonuses of some kind besides being role-playing tools?
No, unless you count the techniques you can use with them.

Me? Oh, sorry! Terribly distracted by a number of things (good times and headaches). I'll be remedying some of that in less than 24 hours (after I've had some sleep). All is well here!

Thank you for posting and getting my attention, jaydude jaydude I meant to ask you - do you have any opinions or perspectives to share on these two choices?

Part of me likes the idea of An Open Mind, but I'm unsure if or when we'll run into Techniques that I'd like Bamboo to have. One must be careful, because it seems once chosen, that's that! Another part of me likes the idea of Worldly Knowledge as Bamboo is, after all, a hard-working and serious scholar (however young). But to toss another Background into his mix; I'm not sure how that might complicate things and I'd rather this story be about all of our Characters (as I'm sure it will be); I don't want to take up more than my fair share of spotlight. =)

Oh. And I'm having fun here, just so's you know! =)

Me? Oh, sorry! Terribly distracted by a number of things (good times and headaches). I'll be remedying some of that in less than 24 hours (after I've had some sleep). All is well here!

Thank you for posting and getting my attention, jaydude jaydude I meant to ask you - do you have any opinions or perspectives to share on these two choices?

Part of me likes the idea of An Open Mind, but I'm unsure if or when we'll run into Techniques that I'd like Bamboo to have. One must be careful, because it seems once chosen, that's that! Another part of me likes the idea of Worldly Knowledge as Bamboo is, after all, a hard-working and serious scholar (however young). But to toss another Background into his mix; I'm not sure how that might complicate things and I'd rather this story be about all of our Characters (as I'm sure it will be); I don't want to take up more than my fair share of spotlight. =)

Oh. And I'm having fun here, just so's you know! =)
Okay, so finally sitting down to answer this.

An Open Mind - I've got a selection of techniques available to view on the Lore/Other thread for this game, under Advanced Techniques. Are there any there that you'd like Bamboo to perhaps learn? Whichever ones they are, I'm sure that I can work opportunities to discover them into the game.

Worldly Knowledge - I don't feel that giving Bamboo another Background would complicate things or cause him to hog the spotlight. If anything, all it'll really do is give him more opportunities to trigger rely on your skills and training rolls.

Glad to see you're still enjoying yourself.

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Pennies for your thoughts on the matter?

jaydude jaydude O.K.... I guess neither of them have any interest in this.

I guess I'll have Bamboo go with An Open Mind.

Flow as Water (Defend and Maneuver)​

Use a jet of water to propel you smoothly around obstacles. Mark 1-fatigue and move to a new location. If you engage with or disengage from a foe, they are Impaired.

Slip Over Ice (Evade and Observe)​

Use ice and water to slip around your environment with ease while putting foes off-balance. Clear 1-fatigue (in addition to clearing 1-fatigue via evade and observe) and reposition foes within reach, deciding who is engaged with whom unless they are willing to mark 1-fatigue and become Impaired to remain where they are.

Rapid Assessment (Evade and Observe)​

Quickly take in your situation far faster than normal. Ask one question about the situation at hand. Become Prepared to act on the answer, and you may call out your plan to an ally to make them Prepared as well.

Creeping Ice (Evade and Observe)​

Carefully and stealthily extend a sheet of ice out beneath foes of your choice; they become Impaired as long as they remain on the ice, and you become Prepared to engage with them.

Ice Prison* (Advance and Attack)​

Aggressively wrap a foe in ice. Mark 2-fatigue to inflict Trapped on a foe standing in water or on ice.
All of these sound fun and neat and able to blend together (as water does). =)

And I guess O-Ren and Bamboo aren't going to have that talk either. I don't get it, but oh well. I like the name you've given the RP, Jay! The Northern War sounds mysterious somehow. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back