• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Yah! He's one of our teammates we escaped from the prison with, right? Plus, he has the scroll the Earth Kingdom needs (and should be allowed back into Fire Nation hands).

I think you have gently implied that Han is someone we ought to care about? So I guess I'm doing just that. Bamboo and I just want to know if he's okay or if he needs help is all. =)

Honor and fun,
Detail-oriented Dann =)

Yah! He's one of our teammates we escaped from the prison with, right? Plus, he has the scroll the Earth Kingdom needs (and should be allowed back into Fire Nation hands).
Yes, he escaped with you, and yes, he has the scroll.

I think you have gently implied that Han is someone we ought to care about? So I guess I'm doing just that. Bamboo and I just want to know if he's okay or if he needs help is all. =)
Sure. He's largely doing okay right now; you can assume that he's part of the resistance Group NPC.

Great! Thanks for the update. I like accurately knowing what's going on. =)

Stepping into the fight, O-Ren gets ready with a combat stance to Defend and Maneuver.

Rolled an 11; what Attribute does this key off of for my final result?
jaydude jaydude
According to the lore page that Jay posted, I'm betting that would be Focus. =)

Psychie Psychie
Since you chose defend and manuever and rolled 10+ on your approach, you can use Water Whip (your learned technique here) if you like. You'd have to mark 1-fatigue in addition to any base costs in the technique, but using Water Whip would move it from Learned to Practiced, meaning that the next time you roll 10+ and decide to use it, you wouldn't have to mark any additional fatigue.

Psychie Psychie
Since you chose defend and manuever and rolled 10+ on your approach, you can use Water Whip (your learned technique here) if you like. You'd have to mark 1-fatigue in addition to any base costs in the technique, but using Water Whip would move it from Learned to Practiced, meaning that the next time you roll 10+ and decide to use it, you wouldn't have to mark any additional fatigue.
Thank you for that hint. I'll do it.

jaydude jaydude

Hey, Jay? Does the interaction between Bamboo and Smoochie have any effect on his Guilt? Or should I continue to play him as feeling guilty?

jaydude jaydude

Hey, Jay? Does the interaction between Bamboo and Smoochie have any effect on his Guilt? Or should I continue to play him as feeling guilty?
According to the rules, you can only clear conditions by either having another character use guide and comfort on you, or by taking some kind of counterproductive action specific to the condition, which in the case of Guilty is making some kind of personal sacrifice that absolves you of your guilt. You can have said guilt manifest however you like, but the main thing is that having the condition will give you penalties on certain rolls (pushing your luck or denying a callout in the case of Guilty).

Okay, does anyone have anything else they wish to do here? If not, I'm going to draw this "session" to a close, and we'll get to calculating growth awards.

Sherwood Sherwood
As we're apparently ending the session, do you want me to trigger your playbook's Making Amends move? I reckon Liu fighting against her fellow Fire Nationals counts as significant action to prove she's a better person, and I'll count Ligao's words of thanks as genuine gratitude.

Assuming you want to do this move, either you or I will roll 2D6, with a +1 bonus to the total for Ligao and the resistance's gratitude. On a hit, you'll get to choose between one of the following options:
Clear a condition You don't have any conditions marked right now
• Mark growth
• Shift your Balance toward Connection

If you roll 10+, you can choose from two of the above, choose one of the options twice, or unlock another Connection balance track space. On a miss however, Liu will have to talk to another character in the scene on what else they can do to atone, and I'll shift her balance accordingly.

Yes, please. I'll go ahead and roll. Lets see what I get.

With the +1, it gives me an 8.

What would 'Mark Growth' involve?
Growth is sort of the equivalent of Exp for this game (obtaining techniques is done independently of this). Each PC has a growth track of three four spaces; once these are all filled in, the growth track resets, and the PC gets to take one of the below advancements:
  • Take a new move from your playbook (You can only do this twice)
  • Take a new move from another playbook (You can only do this twice)
  • Raise a stat by +1 (maximum of +2 in any given stat)
  • Shift your center one step (You can only do this twice)
  • Unlock your Moment of Balance (You can only do this twice)

Last edited:
Cool. I would like to raise my Passion by one, then.
You can't do that just with your Making Amends move. You can certainly use it to mark a point of growth though, which will put you one step towards being able to raise your passion once you fill out your growth track.

Ah, I see. Ok, lets do that. I'll get the hang of this system sooner or later.

Ah, I see. Ok, lets do that. I'll get the hang of this system sooner or later.
It happens ;D . Go ahead and update your growth track on your character sheet. It's under the Character Advancement tab.

or by taking some kind of counterproductive action specific to the condition, which in the case of Guilty is making some kind of personal sacrifice that absolves you of your guilt.
O.K., maybe it's my ADHD brain and my current (muddy) state of mind, but at the moment... I have no earthly idea how I can accomplish this. Could you please provide some examples of said sacrifices?

I mean, are we talking about time and effort (like healing the Earth people? That's something Bamboo would do anyway)?
Does he have to give up something he needs (like his mom's journal? That... I hope not)?

How is this done?

Okay, does anyone have anything else they wish to do here? If not, I'm going to draw this "session" to a close, and we'll get to calculating growth awards.
Sherwood's character has had a post as has Bamboo. I'd just like to see what Psychie's character does and then we can "best get ta steppin'" toward Fort Tangdao.

Other things I'd like for Bamboo to do:
1. Copy the scroll into his mom's journal
2. Get everyone onto Smoochie
3. Help Liu Bing with her anger with posting too much because I've posted a lot already. Don't want to be a spotlight hog; my posts have enough words in them, right? Heh! Having lots of fun though! Thanks, everyone! =)

O.K., maybe it's my ADHD brain and my current (muddy) state of mind, but at the moment... I have no earthly idea how I can accomplish this. Could you please provide some examples of said sacrifices?

From the corebook:
"Clearing Guilty requires you to pay some cost on behalf of others, those you feel you’ve wronged or let down. It doesn’t require them to actually absolve you of your guilt—just so long as you pay a price in an attempt to redeem yourself. This might be anything from standing alone against a dangerous foe so your teammates can escape to agreeing to follow the advice of a mentor when it’s hard to follow."

Example from the corebook:
Beryl, the Icon, marks Guilty after she visits her hometown and finds out that while she’s been gone, her sick grandfather passed away. “Beryl wishes she’d been there with every fiber of her being,” says Beryl’s player, Bei.
Beryl clears Guilty after she lets the forces hunting her take her captive, in exchange for leaving her hometown alone, safe and sound. It’s a sacrifice to honor her grandfather and her home—“It’s the least she can do,” says Bei.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back