• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Avarice:// The World That Never Was.[Detailed, Accepting]

Euclid Leaf

Metamorphasis, Genesis, Metastasis
Supporter
oxA3um.jpg

[border]
Link to the Character Creation tab: https://www.rpnation.com/threads/avarice-the-world-that-never-was.332350/

- Overview -

As we know it today, augmented reality and virtual space is far from being interactive and immersive. Those who can afford these luxuries are left fiddling with clunky hardware that hinders both the experience and the enjoyment, all for a taste of ‘what’s to come’. We are simply biding time for that beloved dream to edge closer to reality. But as of the year 2064, all that has changed. As technology flourished, the horizons of imagination expanded. With the work of visionaries and geniuses, tangible images would be able to be projected within the space of a person’s mind by work of neural implants. But even that was decades ago. The technology has become so common even the average consumer would be able to afford these once-luxuries and infants are born with these microchips quickly installed. At any place in the world, and at any time, anyone could access the ‘HUB’ and view the world as countless projected programs by which to manipulate. Browsing the internet became as easy as flicking your wrist at holograms and speaking to your phone. Menus and a list of products pop up in front of your eyes just from looking through a shop’s windows, music can be sampled by touching an album cover, and even holograms of your friends will appear in your own room when you call them.

Of course, this technological boom led to drastically enhanced entertainment. New virtual-reality video games and services popped up like a shower of daisies in the heat of spring. But among the augmented reality and virtual spaces embedded into day-to-day life, there exists a unique experience.

Though our lives changed, the human need to watch chaos and spectacle remained ever so present. A revolutionary game known as ‘Avarice’ quickly took over the entire globe in a matter of days, offering a service no other software ever did.

Though not a traditional game, where players are allowed to control an in-game embodiment, utilizing the first-ever sentient A.I. programs, “Avarice” was able to simulate a whole other world populated by ‘Entities’ and 'Avatars' that could function all on their own. They would be able to live, breathe, and explore without any mandatory inputs. They will even die. Produced by companies or private programmers with enough skill, these Avatars would set out by their ‘Creators’ to fight for survival in this harsh sport and compete to win the hearts of billions. Because they are works of sentience, the Avatars can express the sweet taste of victory, make a crowd rise to their feet in anticipation, and even feel the pain and shame when they are defeated. That aspect of human emotion, combined with the fantastic spectacle and unpredictability found nowhere else, have made Avarice immensely popular all across the world. People are able to tune-in at any time to see what they're beloved icon will do next, who they come to meet, and how they will achieve victory against all odds. The Avatars themselves have become just as famous as any real-life celebrity.

Working off a small-fee subscription system, the ‘players’ of this game enjoy countless hours of action and entertainment just like watching any other sports, like football and baseball, except in this, they would be able to dictate what they wish to see and the ‘field’ is ever changing. After a small tax from the developers, this exuberant funds is divided up and events are triggered, which result in the various ‘missions’ the Avatars choose to partake in. The more grand and difficult the mission, the more fame and fortune the Avatar and Creator get. But what is fun without risk? Players who wish to spice up the entertainment may pay a sum and employ their favorite champion(s) to undertake special missions, often dangerous and unbecoming, earning a piece of the viewership earnings themselves if their chosen emerge victorious. 'Challenges' may also be issued to an already pre-existing mission, though these side objectives are not made mandatory by the game system. Avatars who willingly take on these treacherous risks often rise to stardom overnight, as the players look in awe at their unlikely achievements, but just as quickly then, they might fall into the abyss of obscurity if they should fail and be rejected by the on-looking masses. Why not? Who would want to spend their time and money on a loser? But there is something else the Avatars must fight for. Just like us, they fear death. Being a spectator sport whereby companies seek to profit from their expensive investment in the development and maintenance of Avatars, corporate heads are not hesitant on cutting liabilities. The thought of being terminated or replaced with another haunts the minds of every one of the Avatars. Though highly intelligent, their minds are still technically quite young.

If they’re not valuable enough to even be watched, who would care. After all, they are just programs and not real, right...?
[/border]
[border][/border]

Final Words:
Welcome to our little interest check for our upcoming roleplay, hosted by myself and SniperBus SniperBus ! We hope you all enjoyed the read, and are excited about this one as much as we are!

In this roleplay you will not be playing as a user, or some player, but rather an A.I. We explore a lot of themes in this one, ranging from fun hijinks to pretty dark and heavy stuff. So be prepared!

This will be a mission-to-mission sort of roleplay, with only the occasional bit of filler here and there. Most of all interaction will be done during these missions, as it isn’t just as simple as moving from point A to point B, though sometimes they are. This is to give you guys a clear goal and see actual progression at intervals instead of waiting around for some arbitrary thing to happen. While combat is a major focus in this roleplay, and Avatars are competing for the prosperity of their ‘Creators’, violence is by no means the only way to complete missions or form a narrative amongst the cast. They fear death just as much as we do, so think about that before doing something stupid. (Yes, you will *probably* die.) Also, all the entities (NPCs) are just like the player Avatars, A.I. with thoughts, ambitions, and feelings of their own. So we encourage you guys to interact with the world and each other in as many creative ways as possible.

With that being said, feel free to ask any of us if you have any questions, and we hope you really do enjoy this labor of love we’ve put together.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your support! We are happy you all enjoyed. Myself and the Co-Gm are working hard on forming the rest of the roleplay. It might be presentable in the following days, so hang in there. :^D

Ok, well, we've actually been going extremely hardcore, and have typed up almost the entire RP just tonight. Expect great things!
:^)

Can you not double post in my thread? Like, please? Or else I might have to bring out the paddle. D:

Last edited:
I am definitely interested in this! Though I have to ask, are our characters aware that they are only Artificial Intelligences?

InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum Well it's more like the threat from observation than direct command. They know if they disappoint their creators they might be replaced, as it is quite common. Avatars don't ever get direct commands from their Creators, but they can see faint glimmerings of the players watching them now and then. Or when none actually are. Some say it's like staring up at a 'bunch of stars'. They are very smart being A.I. and all, though not all are designed with a direct persona to display this aspect. They are also extremely young relative to their cognitive abilities, most of them being only a few years old. Many are able to understand a wide range of emotions, but that does not mean they had to proper amount of time to developed ways to cope with them.

I hope that answers all potential questions regarding that topic. :)

Last edited:
We have finished writing everything up, and the main threads will be up tonight when I have checked and re checked this text wall. SOON.

How many people do we plan on having in this roleplay? Also, since this is in the futuristic tab, would our characters have more futuristic themes to them? I assume so, but just making sure.

InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum It may be futuristic, but remember this is a game that spans the world. That means a lot of genres, a lot of different cultures and tastes. Some companies will try to hit certain demographics and ignore others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back