• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Auger Sign OOC

What's the average armor in MM you'd estimate most Oracles have?

What does MM stand for? I would say The average Oracle can withstand a missile or several bullets from a powerful machine gun. Normal, standard hand held guns used by infantry deal little damage unless they hit a weak point. Unique Oracles have higher defenses. I guess the best comparison is watching how the knight mare frames in code grass are destroyed. That's the powerlevel I'm going for in the Oracles.

What does MM stand for? I would say The average Oracle can withstand a missile or several bullets from a powerful machine gun. Normal, standard hand held guns used by infantry deal little damage unless they hit a weak point. Unique Oracles have higher defenses. I guess the best comparison is watching how the knight mare frames in code grass are destroyed. That's the powerlevel I'm going for in the Oracles.
Millimeters. Tanks have their armor measured in these.

Millimeters. Tanks have their armor measured in these.

I don't have a set number but we can say on average 20 mm if that helps? I say 20 mm since those seem standard for anti tank rifles. Typically, I just let the role player or plot decide whether or not their Oracle or enemy Oracles are damaged heavily by weaponry.

I'm sorry that I'm not focused on creating specific measurements, but if it seems somewhat realistic it should work. Such as a powerful barrage of machine gun bullets or a missile.

I don't have a set number but we can say on average 20 mm if that helps? I say 20 mm since those seem standard for anti tank rifles. Typically, I just let the role player or plot decide whether or not their Oracle or enemy Oracles are damaged heavily by weaponry.

I'm sorry that I'm not focused on creating specific measurements, but if it seems somewhat realistic it should work. Such as a powerful barrage of machine gun bullets or a missile.
20mm is actually less penetration than what a 20mm cannon has. If that's the case then 12.7mm bullets should effectively shred these things to pieces. Early WWII tanks had more than 20mm of armor, but were still frequently pierced by 20mm cannons and even .50 cals. (12.7mm)

Modern 12.7mm ammo would destroy an Oracle at that point. A .50 specifically made for taking out attack helicopters and future lightly armored vehicles has...
500 meters: 1.34 in (34 mm)
1,200 meters: 0.91 in (23 mm)
Penetration values. This is without the sloping of course, which can make the effective armor more than 20mm if properly sloped or angled.

Please don't take this negatively, I just want to help you find a reasonable amount of armor so you don't get OHK by a bullet found on practically every vehicle known to man.

20mm is actually less penetration than what a 20mm cannon has. If that's the case then 12.7mm bullets should effectively shred these things to pieces. Early WWII tanks had more than 20mm of armor, but were still frequently pierced by 20mm cannons and even .50 cals. (12.7mm)

Modern 12.7mm ammo would destroy an Oracle at that point. A .50 specifically made for taking out attack helicopters and future lightly armored vehicles has...
500 meters: 1.34 in (34 mm)
1,200 meters: 0.91 in (23 mm)
Penetration values. This is without the sloping of course, which can make the effective armor more than 20mm if properly sloped or angled.

Please don't take this negatively, I just want to help you find a reasonable amount of armor so you don't get OHK by a bullet found on practically every vehicle known to man.

Do you have any suggestions on mm amor? I'm trying to have my Oracles have similar defense to the Code Geass average Mecha. I'm not too familiar on weapons. Thank you for the insight.

Do you have any suggestions on mm amor? I'm trying to have my Oracles have similar defense to the Code Geass average Mecha. I'm not too familiar on weapons. Thank you for the insight.

Well, could you link me a video to Code Geass mecha being attacked?
I myself am not familiar with their mecha.

As for armor, it depends on what caliber of weapons are typically mounted. Some weapons will regardless be super effective against armor, but it'd be nice to at least know what size cannons these things use, so I can do research on modern cannons to fit the bill.

Well, could you link me a video to Code Geass mecha being attacked?
I myself am not familiar with their mecha.

As for armor, it depends on what caliber of weapons are typically mounted. Some weapons will regardless be super effective against armor, but it'd be nice to at least know what size cannons these things use, so I can do research on modern cannons to fit the bill.

Look at the 1:25 Time stamp scene for the above youtube video. That's what I'm trying to go for with the Average Oracles' defense. Unfortunately, there's no information on the caliber size, but here's an image of an assault rifle (I'm thinking it'll take several shots before Oracle is destroyed by one of these) the mechas use:

upload_2017-8-9_17-43-57.png
http://codegeass.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rpi-assaultrifle.jpg

For something more destructive to an Oracle (It'll take one shot), I'm thinking of a cannon of this size:

upload_2017-8-9_17-44-40.png
http://codegeass.wikia.com/wiki/File:Knightmare_Sniper_Rifle.png

I'll try surfing the web some more, but so far I've found nothing related to MM size.

Alright, so based off of length alone I'm going to guess that "One Shot" rifle is likely just a tank gun. 105mm diameter shell or 120mm. Think about Main Battle Tanks we have today. Considering these things look like they're made for style more than function, I can see how a tank gun would completely destroy one of these.

As for that standard assault rifle, I'd say it reminds me of a 30mm cannon with it's relatively high fire rate. Likely loaded with APHE, or Armor Piercing High Explosive, based off of the damage it caused to the mechs.

Seeing as these were pretty much toast at only 30mm shells... The armor would at least be less than 76mm if we're basing it off of the GAU/8's Armor Piercing Incendiary shells. Since at 300 meters that's the normal penetration value. Generally, this means they are lightly armored vehicles, but are practically invincible to 12.7mm bullets so long as the armor is universally the same all around. Weak spots will still allow for penetration from smaller rounds/shells than 30mm however.

Alright, so based off of length alone I'm going to guess that "One Shot" rifle is likely just a tank gun. 105mm diameter shell or 120mm. Think about Main Battle Tanks we have today. Considering these things look like they're made for style more than function, I can see how a tank gun would completely destroy one of these.

As for that standard assault rifle, I'd say it reminds me of a 30mm cannon with it's relatively high fire rate. Likely loaded with APHE, or Armor Piercing High Explosive, based off of the damage it caused to the mechs.

Seeing as these were pretty much toast at only 30mm shells... The armor would at least be less than 76mm if we're basing it off of the GAU/8's Armor Piercing Incendiary shells. Since at 300 meters that's the normal penetration value. Generally, this means they are lightly armored vehicles, but are practically invincible to 12.7mm bullets so long as the armor is universally the same all around. Weak spots will still allow for penetration from smaller rounds/shells than 30mm however.

Thank you for this abundant information. It is a real help, since I literally have no knowledge surrounding this topic.

For the one shot rifle, I'll keep it at 105mm, for measurement purposes, but yes, a tank should easily destroy a mech. An average mech's main purpose for this roleplay is just versatility, movement, and of course style. There will be more powerful mechs, since I like to increase the power level as the roleplay progresses due to plot points advancing technology.

Okay, I'll keep the assault rifle as 30mm cannon using APHE bullets.

I agree with your latter paragraph's claim. I think that's exactly what I'm trying to go for the current average mechs. I appreciate you putting in the time to educate me on the measurements/specifics on a mech and its weaponry. I prefer having them be lightly armored, but they'll definitely advance in firepower and armor as the roleplay progresses.

Thank you for this abundant information. It is a real help, since I literally have no knowledge surrounding this topic.

For the one shot rifle, I'll keep it at 105mm, for measurement purposes, but yes, a tank should easily destroy a mech. An average mech's main purpose for this roleplay is just versatility, movement, and of course style. There will be more powerful mechs, since I like to increase the power level as the roleplay progresses due to plot points advancing technology.

Okay, I'll keep the assault rifle as 30mm cannon using APHE bullets.

I agree with your latter paragraph's claim. I think that's exactly what I'm trying to go for the current average mechs. I appreciate you putting in the time to educate me on the measurements/specifics on a mech and its weaponry. I prefer having them be lightly armored, but they'll definitely advance in firepower and armor as the roleplay progresses.

105mm is perfectly fine. It's what the M1 Abrams originally started with.

Seems legit.

Ah, so the first mechs are kinda just specialized light armored vehicles. Makes sense. I suppose anti-tank infantry will have a field day taking those out. XD
So as things go on they'll get better, I see. Also, there are ways to counter these weapons besides simply adding more armor, which I could tell you about if you want.

105mm is perfectly fine. It's what the M1 Abrams originally started with.

Seems legit.

Ah, so the first mechs are kinda just specialized light armored vehicles. Makes sense. I suppose anti-tank infantry will have a field day taking those out. XD
So as things go on they'll get better, I see. Also, there are ways to counter these weapons besides simply adding more armor, which I could tell you about if you want.

I'm just adding your measurements to the encyclopedia thread right now.

Yeah in the code geass anime, there was a guy using a missile launcher to destroy the mechs. I guess a mech's only got its speed and agility to aid itself in that situation.

Feel free to offer your suggestions, I'm down to read them.

Oh, cool.

As for non-armor based defenses, it depends on the weapon being used.

For lock on-weapons, any countermeasure used by aircraft will work just fine. BriteCloud jammers are an interesting partner to IR-Flares.
There are also Active Protection Systems, which use a projectile to strike an opposing one, however most of these only work on rockets as they move slow enough to be tracked. There is one glimmer of hope for cannon protection though...

AMAP-ADS, which is effectively laser APS. The reaction speed and the fact that the laser emitters are integrated into all parts of the armor effectively provide 360 degrees of protection against projectiles small enough to be prematurely set off, or directly effected by it's beam. I'm assuming it uses PEP, or pulsed energy projectiles to deflect or detonate incoming shots. A normal laser would take too long to burn, compared to the near instant shockwave provided by a PEP. Originally, PEP was intended for nonlethal use, as it's shockwave also has a pain inducing effect to humans. However, it hasn't been implemented as far as I know yet. Obviously it could be upscaled to be lethal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMAP-ADS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_energy_projectile

Note: I am not a scientist nor a 100% expert on these things, I'm just a geek.

Oh, cool.

As for non-armor based defenses, it depends on the weapon being used.

For lock on-weapons, any countermeasure used by aircraft will work just fine. BriteCloud jammers are an interesting partner to IR-Flares.
There are also Active Protection Systems, which use a projectile to strike an opposing one, however most of these only work on rockets as they move slow enough to be tracked. There is one glimmer of hope for cannon protection though...

AMAP-ADS, which is effectively laser APS. The reaction speed and the fact that the laser emitters are integrated into all parts of the armor effectively provide 360 degrees of protection against projectiles small enough to be prematurely set off, or directly effected by it's beam. I'm assuming it uses PEP, or pulsed energy projectiles to deflect or detonate incoming shots. A normal laser would take too long to burn, compared to the near instant shockwave provided by a PEP. Originally, PEP was intended for nonlethal use, as it's shockwave also has a pain inducing effect to humans. However, it hasn't been implemented as far as I know yet. Obviously it could be upscaled to be lethal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMAP-ADS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_energy_projectile

Note: I am not a scientist nor a 100% expert on these things, I'm just a geek.

Wow the ADS and PEP sound cool. I'll probably implement them later on in the RP, once I do a little more research on them. Since the Oracles are relatively new due to the recent discovery of Amitite (A mineral necessary to powering Oracles), I think we should be find with their current weaknesses.

Are the ADS and PEP systems similar to a barrier, or is it just a laser around the armor that destroys the bullets? For some of the Unique models and vehicles in the roleplay (not the average Oracle Model 1 and 2), they use a barrier system, which prevents bullets/missiles/other weapons from damaging the vehicle. Is that similar to the concept of ADS/PEP? If not, I'll probably adapt ADS/PEP to be similar to barriers, so it fits with the current technology I've established in my prior roleplay posts.

AMAP-ADS/PEP basically puts laser emitters and sensors in the armor of the vehicle. Look at the picture in the article and spot the little black openings. It is not a barrier like an energy shield. It simply shoots beams that make shockwaves at incoming projectiles. Basically trying to detonate or shoot it down.

AMAP-ADS/PEP basically puts laser emitters and sensors in the armor of the vehicle. Look at the picture in the article and spot the little black openings. It is not a barrier like an energy shield. It simply shoots beams that make shockwaves at incoming projectiles. Basically trying to detonate or shoot it down.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely inplement them into the RP at some point or introduce them as a new war tool in episode 2.

Just a reminder to post in the IC by Sunday, if you all want to go back to the old schedule. Otherwise, please post by the end of Monday. Bari Bari Kloudy Kloudy

Last edited:
Hachi Machi Hachi Machi Sorry, been dealing with some shit (if you've seen my recent more dark emo status, then you'll know why).

I think I'll be able to get something up when I wake up, but it's 2am rn and I'm passing out.

I'm just kinda slow on this type of stuff. I try not to copy and paste old characters from other RPs.

That's fine. Take your time.

Hachi Machi Hachi Machi Sorry, been dealing with some shit (if you've seen my recent more dark emo status, then you'll know why).

I think I'll be able to get something up when I wake up, but it's 2am rn and I'm passing out.

Get some rest. Hopefully, things will get better for you. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. Thank you for letting me know.

Bari Bari

How's it going on your end?

I'll hold off from posting Turn 7 due to this week's inactivity.

I'm dealing with moving and I had to give up my cats to a shelter. I was planning to post right after Kloud would have so I'd feel motivated. I can try and make a post tomorrow if you'd prefer.

No, it's alright. Take your time as well. I understand the stress of moving, as well as the loss of a beloved pet. Thank you for letting me know.

Bari Bari

Great post. I wonder how her parents/relatives will react once the events are broadcasted. I can't way to see how your character develops!

Great post. I wonder how her parents/relatives will react once the events are broadcasted. I can't way to see how your character develops!
I have to imagine they'll presume her dead when she isn't among the survivors. Vivi will probably be a little upset that she's worrying them. x.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back