Other At what age did you start role-playing and what made you stay?

Dark Enforcer

Not today.
For me, I was about 14 years old (geez... 10 years ago already?!) And I honestly had no clue what role-playing was until I accidentally stalked a friend on the site I was on (Gaia) and well... that got me curious. I joined a Bleach role-play with no idea whatsoever what to expect and what to do. The guild captain for the role-play was pretty cool as he explained to me the basics and what a "character skeleton" meant. Soooooo cringey... I mean, I probably still am, but more so back then.

Eventually I got the gist of it (more or less) and started doing more and more, except they were one-liners at the time.

Role-playing has had its ups and downs with me, but I always find myself returning to it. Immersing myself into a world I can create and discussing ideas with other people has always been the most incredible thing for me to experience, and all without having the pressure of being a blogger, journalist, or author.

Last edited:
Only been roleplaying for about a year now (I was 16 when I started)...

I may still be getting used to the little ticks and fidgets but I enjoy it thoroughly and its a way to get out of my mundane life

Well if you count 'wargaming' on the Armchair General Forums, then years ago. But I only became a member of this site and really got into more roleplaying in the transition between 2017 and 2018. Before that I was a member of a different site but noped the feck out of it after it was a) pretty dead, and b) I got asked to RP some weird shit. I then transitioned to this site but went on a hiatus. Now I'm back to stay for the foreseeable future; I've found some interesting RPs. I guess I stay (ultimately) because it ties in with my creative writing orientation. RPs are kind of like being within a creative writing story and shaping it from the inside rather than the author forming them. To get more deep, you might say that ideally it feels more realistic in that sense because the characters are just acting, the author isn't making them enact anything.

LOL I started roleplaying when I was 9. I really loved to read, and so when I was on this site called Howrse, (I think it's still up..I deleted my account years ago!) I met someone who loved the same books as me. And so we decided to write our own book together. It was Percy Jackson, I think, or maybe Harry Potter.

I dunno what really made me stay. I guess it was just my love of writing? But yeah. I've been roleplaying for a good 7 years!

Since I was 13 so that would make it... Oh. Oh my.
I just did the math.

12 years.

*Eyes glaze over*

I was 14 years old when I stumbled into the land of Quizilla. At first I just kinda bumbled around the forum answering questions and joining discussions. Then I saw these " Stories" between two or more people and I joined in. Of course, after the site was dismantled I lost contact with most of my friends and I kinda just moved on.

I was 14 years old when I stumbled into the land of Quizilla. At first I just kinda bumbled around the forum answering questions and joining discussions. Then I saw these " Stories" between two or more people and I joined in. Of course, after the site was dismantled I lost contact with most of my friends and I kinda just moved on.

I totally forgot about Quizilla... woooooow

Quizilla actually helped me in my teenage years. High school was miserable and I didn't belong to any group or had a group of friends. So, Quizilla opened a door for me to be more social and I actually did not feel so alone anymore.

I.. don't actually remember. 13 I suppose. But then I had a break and went back to it around 16.
I had a few rp that were really fun, and I liked the sense of creating a story with someone else, not just writing on my own. Worldbuilding with rp partner, and making characters, and having inside jokes about them. It was that kind of sense of belonging that I really needed at that age.
And I just like to create stories, that was mostly it.

I started around just 11 years old, roleplaying with my friends about our favorite TV shows and such. I stayed because there were more things I wanted to roleplay as time went on and I watched more shows, movies, or played more games. So glad I got into it!

I was pretty old compared to you guys! I was about 35, I had always written stories and knew about D&D but never role played. I had an online friend who told me about it and got me on a site. I didn't like the site though it was like a huge chat room which I always do poorly in and couldn't work out what was happening. I kept exploring though and found a partner and then an actual site which I cut my teeth on.

Why do I keep doing it? I like the creativity.

Started when I was 14 and instantly fell in love with it. I loved the idea of getting lost in creating a world and a story that you and a few others could enjoy in your own time. But starting out was not very easy, as some people did not understand my ideas, or just tossed them aside for their own. I felt like this problem was because of me and that I was causing them to not participate. I stopped for a time then returned when thought it was appropriate. I was just a shy kid in high school and didn't have many friends, and as time went on the numbers of those friends continued to diminish. Roleplay was a safe haven for me to express myself through characters in a way I never thought possible. It helped me though the problems I was dealing with at the time and kept me smiling when I was down. I owe a lot to roleplay and I will keep going because of it.

I started roleplaying when I was ten on Neopets. This was back when Neopets was really new. Macys weren't little rat-things. They were Macy Gray, and they looked like the singer. Bruce looked like a butler in a tux. And they had a roleplaying section where you could write about three sentences per post.

I was so god-awful. I roleplayed girls with strange colored highlights almost exclusively, and I don't think there were any story lines. Characters just met, talked. Vied for attention.

And I discovered that there was a way for a socially awkward introverted little girl to be an attention whore. It was through roleplaying.

I used to role play from about...11-19ish? It’s been about 8-9 years since I last seriously tried an rp, but I realised I was missing it a lot and it has always been a great motivator to keep writing fiction. I’m really hoping to get back into it now :csmile:<3

I was roleplaying since I was 11-12. I still shiver just thinking about what I was writing back then, but I'd say I definitely improved.
Staying? Well, this kind of reminds me of Mr. Bones' Wild Ride. It never ends, and in the end I always go back to it, even if it is just for a little while.

I was 13 and my friend introduced me to RP. I actually said no for a month before agreeing to try. I never looked back. I've been roleplaying for 16 years and, boy oh boy, it has been a ride. I've gone through so many different personal outlooks on RP in that time. I cringe at some things I did and became. I am glad I'm not like 20 year old me; I would shoot myself if I ran into my 20yo self online! I like what I've become, where I am, even if I don't have the most active RP life right now. I just ain't found a partner that meshes real good with me. Still 16 years. Whoo!

I don't really know why I stay. I know I enjoy it, I have also left the community because of how toxic is got and made me. So I think I stick around because, when it's good, it is REALLY GOOD. Even if there are harsh times and not so fun times in the community. I have fond memories of RPing and I've done some good stuff. So I guess I also stay in hopes I get to have another GOOD ONE!

I've been larping since I can remember but net rping since I was 12. XD

Oh man I use to LARP as a teenager. I haven't done LARP in so long. I did a semi-sorta LARP-ish RP a year ago, it was fun. I don't think I could LARP the way I did as a teen though. But good memories man.

I was 9, I saw my best friend Sienna roleplaying as a horse with her friends. I thought it looked fun, but I started out with Warrior Cats and wolves. I stayed because it was so fun! I enjoyed living life as an animal through writing. I didn’t start human RP til I was about 12 years old. It didn’t interest me but that was because I wasn’t used to it.

I was thirteen and was in to the Lord of the Rings movies that were being made and were about to come out. Started RPng on a fandom site for about 5 yesrs, then went to an ez board site but all was lost when it got hacked. Took a break for a while an dgot back into it in a limited way last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back