• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherwood Sherwood (because he raised the subject. No, not from the dead! Not that kind of raising!). =)

Re: Recharging items. Adventurers' Table post #3283.

As for how to recharge the Wand of Magic Missiles (once Luna gets the feat and crafts it)... I think I'm happy with the idea of a spell providing a caster the ability to recharge whatever item is in question as they apparently did in one of the Dragon Magazines back in the 1980s. Lacking that information, I'll just create a spell called Recharge Item. I've written it up in the spoiler below and I'll add it to Shop Talk.

Recharge Item
School alteration; Level Bard 3, Cleric 4, Druid 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4.
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (item to be recharged)
Range touch
Target living creature touched
Duration 10 minutes
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You can cast this spell upon yourself or another living spellcaster in order to recharge a magic item. When this spell is cast, a glowing aura appears around the item. The spell recipient must know the spell(s) required to recharge the item (a Sorcerer must know Magic Missile in order to recharge a Wand of Magic Missiles). Items that do not have specific spells, such as a Ring of Shooting Stars, may have special spell requirements (DMs approval). The spell recipient may then begin casting their spells into the aura with the sole intent of recharging the item. Casting any spells upon the item in question without this intent results in the spell having its normal effect (and no charges are restored into the item).
The spells cast upon the item recharge a number of charges equal to the level of the spell (a Wizard's Fireball spell restores 3 charges).
Recharge Item cannot be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Feedback?

Just a few things. Is this a free spell that I pick up with the Craft Wand Feat? If not, will I have to use one of my 2 spells that I get per level and buy it as a normal spell?

I do like that with the higher level spells, you get more charges for each spell you charge into it. The low level ones like Magic Missile come quickly enough, but there are fewer spell slots as you go up.

Another thought. Does this get cast on a person, or the object?

It makes more sense to me that you would cast the Recharge Item spell on the item you wish to charge, not on a person. That way, you can also have more than one caster work in unison with each other to boost the charges of a item. That is my thought.

-Sherwood.
1. No, it's not a free spell. No spells come the selection of Feats.
2. Luna will have to earn it like any other spell (find it on an adventure, buy it, select it upon level advancement, etc.).
3. Kaerri accurately answered this question. Thank you, Kaerri.

It makes more sense to me that you would cast the Recharge Item spell on the item you wish to charge, not on a person. That way, you can also have more than one caster work in unison with each other to boost the charges of a item. That is my thought.

While that is convenient, I don't want this spell to work that way. There is much less chance of a mishap if the target is a caster and not the item. What's to stop some outside joker from tossing in a spell that overloads the item? Overcharged items often explode with devastating results. With one caster, that's not likely to happen (which leads to less upset players and broken items). Besides, there is nothing stopping the caster of Recharge Item from casting it multiple times on different trusted recipients.

Also, consider by casting it on a person, that spellcaster can recharge multiple items at once (assuming they have the spells required to do so).

You got it. I'll add it to Luna's Wish List of spells, and once we train up for 9th, I'll snag it. Thanks.

Sure!

Now all we have to do is think of a way to spend 5 days so Luna can swap her Rapid Reload feat for Craft Wand.

Let me throw this out there.
Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr Kaerri Kaerri Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood
Do you guys want to fast-forward 5 days for Luna's sake? Just hang out in the Wanderers' Wagon? We could have Glider train you guys again in the meantime (while Nivi, though unable to train, would likely witness the event). Then hop to Highwind (and closer toward the dungeon adventure I'm putting together)?

Your thoughts?

I wasn't sure if Glider was still with us, but I like that idea. That way, I can start to craft my wand, and if Nivirea would like one, too, I can whip one up for her. I'd just need her to pay the cost for materials.

In HIghwind, is there a Wizard Guild? There are many spells I'd like to add to my spellbook, and getting only two per level is slow going.

What is the formula for making a item? Obviously, the higher the level and cost involved, the longer it will take.
Found it; 8 hours of work per 1,000 gp cost

EDIT
Roughly 4 days for Luna to make a single Wand of Magic Missiles at a level 9 power.

Last edited:
Sure!

Now all we have to do is think of a way to spend 5 days so Luna can swap her Rapid Reload feat for Craft Wand.

Let me throw this out there.
Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr Kaerri Kaerri Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood
Do you guys want to fast-forward 5 days for Luna's sake? Just hang out in the Wanderers' Wagon? We could have Glider train you guys again in the meantime (while Nivi, though unable to train, would likely witness the event). Then hop to Highwind (and closer toward the dungeon adventure I'm putting together)?

Your thoughts?
I'm fine with that. Otherwise Luna will miss out on whatever Highwind action we might fall into, and that wouldn't be fun. It would give our characters more time to get to know each other, too. (Even if we gloss over it for OOC reasons, the characters will still have spent 5 days in the same wagon.) Assuming they haven't murdered each other by the time we get there, they're bound to know each other better! And we could do some combat practice on the roof like we did before, giving us a chance to get used to fighting together. (Except Luna, who'd probably be either too busy or too tired, but most of the party is used to her already.)

Well, the time spent studying to retrain a feat is only 8 hours a day, so she will come out from her work to socialize and get to know our guests better.

Hm. But if we're skipping five days ahead, doesn't that beat the whole point of what we were preparing to do at the moment? I thought we'd all agreed that we wanted to actually RP some of the player interactions, instead of assuming that our characters have been mingling between the lines (as we've been doing since the game started, basically). Maybe we could finish playing out the current day IC and then skip the next few days?

But wait, five days? I mean, regardless of whether done IC or OOC, what prompted this downtime? Everyone just agrees to take several days off to rest parked by the side of the road, or are our characters actually waiting on Luna to do her work?

Oh and, sorcerers make use of wands, too? I thought it might be a wizard thing, that sorcerers just shoot stuff out of their palms and such. Or give their targets a really mean, focused glare. And are there staffs in this game as well? Couldn't Nivirea spend the same time to make a wand/staff for herself, or has Luna some bonuses that would make her creations more effective? Sorry, I'm afraid I forgot many things that I maybe knew or asked before... If you mind spending time to explain, I'll just look it up somewhere *woof*

Good questions, Wolf!

1. You're right. I had not thought of it that way. The whole idea of skipping ahead is to help Sherwood get Luna the Craft Wand feat and give the party the opportunity to RP together. While this is going on, it would also give me some time behind the scenes to fully craft the dungeon adventure.

I had not explained it this way, but my intent was to RP the rest of the day and then skip ahead 5 days.

2. Sorcerers make use of wands too. In order to craft them, they require the prerequisite feat and resources, time being one of these.

3. There are staffs (staves) in this game. Shalin's Staff of the Magi is a good example.

=)

Wand, Staff, Rod, Ring et al creation is (unless Dannigan has special house rules that I don't yet know about) fairly straight forward. It does require a Feat and some Craft Skills, though, and you need to have the spell that you are plugging into the item. The cost of materials is [caster level] x [spell level] x 375, and the time to make a item is one eight hour day per 1,000 gp cost of the item. So, once we get our various bits of loot sold off, Luna can start making herself a Wand of Magic Missiles. It will take four days of work to craft each one, at a cost of 3,375 gp each, and they will have 50 charges of five Missiles. Market value for a magic item or scroll is double the cost of making it.

If Nivirea wanted a different spell, such as Lightning Bolt, it would cost a bit more due to the 3rd level spell needed to create it.

Hm. But if we're skipping five days ahead, doesn't that beat the whole point of what we were preparing to do at the moment? I thought we'd all agreed that we wanted to actually RP some of the player interactions, instead of assuming that our characters have been mingling between the lines (as we've been doing since the game started, basically). Maybe we could finish playing out the current day IC and then skip the next few days?

But wait, five days? I mean, regardless of whether done IC or OOC, what prompted this downtime? Everyone just agrees to take several days off to rest parked by the side of the road, or are our characters actually waiting on Luna to do her work?

Oh and, sorcerers make use of wands, too? I thought it might be a wizard thing, that sorcerers just shoot stuff out of their palms and such. Or give their targets a really mean, focused glare. And are there staffs in this game as well? Couldn't Nivirea spend the same time to make a wand/staff for herself, or has Luna some bonuses that would make her creations more effective? Sorry, I'm afraid I forgot many things that I maybe knew or asked before... If you mind spending time to explain, I'll just look it up somewhere *woof*

We're still more than 5 days from Highwind, so we wouldn't be just pulling over. Luna can probably get all her studying done in the library, for example, and then come out and join us.

It looks like Nivirea does have the Craft Wondrous Items feat, which allows her to make assorted magical stuff. Pathfinder separates magical items into categories to determine which feats are needed to make a particular item: potions, magical weapons/armor, wands, rods, staves, rings, scrolls, and wondrous items. (Wands, rods, and staves hold different tiers of magical power, thus the separate feats needed.)
Craft Wondrous Item (Item Creation)
You can create wondrous items, a type of magic item.

Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.

Benefit: You can create a wide variety of magic wondrous items. Crafting a wondrous item takes 1 day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To create a wondrous item, you must use up raw materials costing half of its base price. See the magic item creation rules in Magic Items for more information.

You can also mend a broken wondrous item if it is one that you could make. Doing so costs half the raw materials and half the time it would take to craft that item.
"Wondrous Items" is kind of a catch-all for whatever didn't fit into the others. Take a look here for a list of some, along with the requirements for their creation.

Certainly Nivirea could spend the time making items herself, if she's got the materials handy already. I think Luna's planning on doing her crafting once we actually reach the town (correct me if I'm wrong, Sherwood Sherwood ), to account for not having the materials already? The 5 days right now is because Luna doesn't actually have the Craft Wand feat, so she's taking the time to swap out one of the feats she currently has and take the crafting one instead.

You are correct. I have paid for the switch of my Rapid Reload Feat to the Craft Wand one, but haven't had the five days of study time needed to do so. To make the wand, I am a bit short on funds, but we have multiple items to sell, along with several scrolls I can part with that would make up the difference quite easily.

I see.

So what's the advantage of a spell catalyst? I mean you're basically imbuing some staff to be able to cast 50 fireballs or something, and you use it to cast a fireball once per round, right? But you could also normally cast that fireball once per round all by yourself. What advantages does the catalyst bring? There must be something really good about it that I'm missing to justify all that time and money spent on it *woof*

I'm assuming you mean "magic item that casts spells" when you say "catalyst"? It's not really a catalyst as such. It's an item that holds spells that the holder can then cast. Using an item in this way doesn't use up a spell slot. Also, if it has spells you don't know yet, you can still use the item to cast them. If Nivirea got hold of, say, a wand that had five charges of the spell Fireball, and she didn't actually know the spell herself, she could still use the wand to cast it (once per each charge).

Also, under certain conditions, such items may be used by anyone, even non-spellcasters.

Go Kaerri. =)

EDIT: Assistant GM FTW ("For The Win"). She answered what I would have, but with brevity! =)

Last edited:
Also, I don't know if Sorcerers can make Scrolls, but if you can't, Luna will be happy to make a few here and there for you to bolster your abilities. I would just need the cost in materials and some time. Scrolls are much cheaper to make than other magic items, with the cost being [spell level] x [caster level] x 12.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back