• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, a lot can happen in a day's worth..

Might I have a bark? Gracias *woof*

- #1 - Alright, when I mentioned a room-by-room tour, I essentially meant what Dannigan just described as "third option". Neither I nor Nivirea would expect to be shown to anyone's private chambers or truly secret areas. What I had in mind was basically the few main/joint rooms, all of which are in the right wing on the map (just to make sure... the library is included in the study, right? Because there is no library on the map). Whether Luna simply indicates what is behind a door or actually shows us inside (with or without knocking :P) is up to Sherwood. For example the storeroom might not be terribly interesting to showcase, unlike the study/library. At the end of the tour we could go into the other wing, but only down the main hallway to the door of the room that could be given to Nivirea, which leads me to numbuh two...

- #2 - I haven't forgotten that she isn't a proper Wayward Wanderer yet (hey Dann, maybe you should print out this old WW poster and hang it above your computer desk :P ), and that as such the talk of assigning a room is a little too soon. But Nivirea only asked if there was a spare room she could use. I didn't mean to imply that she considered her joining a done deal - though I see that I might have done just that, if only by using the term "to settle in". That was unintentional. Remember that from the location in Shandra's Evegreen where the party found her, it is safe to assume that she'd been trekking through the forest on foot for days and camping with much, much less style than the Wanderers (she had let on as much earlier). So from her perspective, even a temporary stay of a night or two at this palace on wheels, with her current status as merely a guest, would seem like a lot - so she'd be "settling in", even if for a temporary duration.

- #3 - At no point since Bren officially took up leadership did it slip my mind that he is in charge. And I can say that same for Nivirea, especially from the interactions between Bren and Melshaef that she has witnessed from the very start. Melshaef (through Dannigan's faithful depictions of her) has regarded Bren with much respect and as one would a leader, even if OOC I found it a little too official sometimes (but then I remind myself that she's not been with us for that long, so it's probably normal that she isn't as casual in dealing with Bren as some of the others). But back on point, Nivirea knows that Bren is in charge - I just wanted to stress that. I don't want anyone to think I'd forgotten that just because in her last posts she failed to tell that to Luna or try to correct her, but nodded and went along. Had it come to the point where Luna said "here you can have this room" for whatever reason, Nivirea would have asked her if her glorious leader would approve of that. After all, her upbringing ensured that she knows how to be a guest as much as how to entertain one ;)

Those were just some notes I wanted to share. As for progress, I think it is developing just fine as it is ingame. I like that Shalin joined us (as does Nivi!). Honestly, I was expecting that he'd be more like Gandalf accompanying Thorin's company in the Hobbit (which I just finished re-reading today :D ). Like, he's with everyone up until they come to someplace important, and then he's off hanging out with the important people (Elrond in Rivendell, The Lord of Eagles in Misty Mountains, Beorn in the outskirts of Mirkwood, etc.) I imagined Shalin would just shut himself off with Bren in some poorly lit corner and plot away! *rawrrr*

So my vote is to just keep the momentum we've built up, so to speak. Luna proceeds to give Shalin and Nivirea the gist of it, we pick up some RP on the way, and we end up around a fire (or a swimming pool, which is unexpectedly more likely in this particular traveling wagon...), with Bren and everyone concerned to discuss future plans and Nivirea's role in them. By then the canoodling should expire, too (I never heard the word before either, but somehow I interpreted it as cuddling without bothering to look it up for confirmation... It just feels like cuddling by default! ^^)

Havoc leaned down and wagged one black claw.  "Nnnno.  Ish not half-elf or elf.  Shmell is wrong."

Oh you are lucky that was out of Nivirea's earshot! Saying that she smells wrong, in any way, is not something you want to do! >:)

(Just to make sure... the library is included in the study, right?)

When Luna is referring to the library, I take it she means the study.

I haven't forgotten that she isn't a proper Wayward Wanderer yet (hey Dann, maybe you should print out this old WW poster and hang it above your computer desk :P ), and that as such the talk of assigning a room is a little too soon. But Nivirea only asked if there was a spare room she could use. I didn't mean to imply that she considered her joining a done deal - though I see that I might have done just that, if only by using the term "to settle in". That was unintentional.

I didn't think you were trying to rush her in, Wolf; I just want things to run in a natural direction.  Otherwise, Nivirea just gets "shoe-horned" in and instantly welcomed in a way that's not realistic or story-friendly at all (re: poster.  Thanks!  That might help!  Hah!).  

- #3 - At no point since Bren officially took up leadership did it slip my mind that he is in charge. And I can say that same for Nivirea,

Again, I really didn't think you had thought otherwise; this is just one of those things that, as your Dungeon Master, I felt I had to point out lest things go off in a random direction.  

Melshaef (through Dannigan's faithful depictions of her) has regarded Bren with much respect and as one would a leader, even if OOC I found it a little too official sometimes (but then I remind myself that she's not been with us for that long, so it's probably normal that she isn't as casual in dealing with Bren as some of the others).

Melshaef's actions are largely the result of the culture she comes from.  Shamballah in many ways is nothing like Averlund.  Among Bastet's people, the big cats (alphas, if you will) are in charge and everyone else isn't.  In that way, the Felane are pretty lawful.  In nearly all other ways, they are cats and very likely to do as they damn well please (chaotic!).  =)

I like that Shalin joined us (as does Nivi!). Honestly, I was expecting that he'd be more like Gandalf accompanying Thorin's company in the Hobbit

In my mind, Ol' Shalin... is... kind of like having Legolas along.  He's very, very Elvish, true to his friends as well as his enemies, and he's come quite a long way since he was your characters' levels.  I'm glad he's along too.  But, given how Sharseya goes, he could be off in a minute to who-knows-where. Arcanists are like that, especially high-level ones.  =)

I imagined Shalin would just shut himself off with Bren in some poorly lit corner and plot away! *rawrrr*

To be frank, Bren and Shalin are quite guilty of this sort of thing.  Even in The Light in the Dark (which had its share of crazy PCs and NPCs), there were times when Bren seemed to need the solid shoulder of a friend to share with and Shalin was that shoulder.  Their "plotting" (a good word for it!) often led to many good things, not just for The Light in the Dark, but for all of Averlund and some realms beyond.

Oh you are lucky that was out of Nivirea's earshot! Saying that she smells wrong, in any way, is not something you want to do! >:)

Oh, it doesn't have to be out of earshot if you don't want it to be.  Havoc has no idea how humans feel about smelling ("right" or "wrong") and things like perfume are beyond his scope of culture (someone wearing an additional scent to their own just makes them that much easier to track by smell).  =)

So my vote is to just keep the momentum we've built up, so to speak. Luna proceeds to give Shalin and Nivirea the gist of it, we pick up some RP on the way, and we end up around a fire (or a swimming pool, which is unexpectedly more likely in this particular traveling wagon...), with Bren and everyone concerned to discuss future plans and Nivirea's role in them.

From a purely OOC standpoint, I feel this is best done with the party all together (sorry, Oti & Bria!).  Otherwise, opinions get left out.  Also, as Kaerri will likely tell you, the longer adventuring parties are left on their own, the more likely they are to completely derail any plans the leader or the Dungeon Master has laid out.  Isn't that right, @Kaerri-darlin'?  =)

In other words, maybe it's best that Oti and Bria have some time together while Luna gives Nivi (and Shalin, if Luna wishes) the tour.  After the tour, Bren might call a meeting of the minds and that's when Oti and Bria get a firm knock on the door to get them out there.

The only loose end if going this route is Melshaef; she longs to tie up the many loose ends she has with her people, the Refugees of the Three Rings.  However, I can also say that she leaves afterward and upon her return, the Wayward Wanderers make their way onward.

What do folks think about that?

One more thing - RpN 2.0 goes down tomorrow for a few days.  I was thinking another change of plans here - how about you guys ask Glider to train all of you prior to your getting to Highwind?  Upon arrival, who knows where you guys will end up or how distracted you'll get?  Mostly, I don't want any of your valuable RP points to go to waste.  There is a cap upon training.  If you guys train prior to Highwind, then the cap is out of the way.  If you don't and don't get around to training, there is the chance that you'll hit the cap and waste RP points.

Very concise as usual. It sounds like we are all on the same page with the little tour. As for the study/library name confusion, it's where the books are at. Luna calls it the library and spends much of her free time there. 

Also, I like the idea of getting our training done sooner than later. I get twitchy with wanting to choose spells, spend my skill points, and get my new Feat. 

Also, I like the idea of getting our training done sooner than later. I get twitchy with wanting to choose spells, spend my skill points, and get my new Feat. 

I can't blame you; it's all good stuff to look forward to and want to have.

I do want to point something out though.  I believe you mentioned wanting a rod or wand that provided a Metamagic Feat?  Due to game balance, I hardly ever allow feats inside of magic items (one rare exception is the Highwind Medallion which provides its user a free feat of choice while worn.  Yes, there are limitations).  

The reason is this: I find it imbalancing if, say, I give an enemy arcanist an item that provides the benefit to, say, Empower Spell which adds 50% more damage to damaging spells (like Fireball or Lightning Bolt) and since it's an item, the character in question doesn't have to pay the downside (a spell slots two levels higher than normal).  At worst, the item would just use up a charge (assuming it ran on them).  This means you have 8th level wizards and sorcerers tossing around 12d6 area of effect spells at little or no extra cost to themselves.  That's just too much for this DM.

Another reason is this: We're talking about Feats.  Feats are something that make characters special, not items.  Using the example of Bruce Lee, here is a person who developed many incredible feats of strength (one-finger push-ups, anyone?), speed, and explosive power.  These things took Lee time and effort to develop; it in no way came easily.  Now, I know we're talking about a role-playing game here, but I want Feats to remain special to the characters and their classes (much the same way I want Signature Abilities to speak much of the individual and not anything less than that).

Finally, if Luna selects the Empower Spell Feat at 9th level, then hey!  I'm all for it!  =)

My tuppence worth: Thus far, I've not seen Luna or Nivirea acting out of character. Luna's been showing off her soopar-cool chick pad, along with the study full of books (NEEEEEEERRRRRDDDD!) while Nivi is indulging her Sylvan heritage's propensity for being curious and nosy.

As for Oti and Bria, I don't mind if the impromptu tour interrupts their intimate moment. After all, for a newly loved-up couple, even somewhere as huge as the Wagon is waaay too small for someone to not bump into them when they're not specifically in one of their bedrooms, whether it be Luna/Nivi, Bren, the Meadowsweets, Stewart (wherever he may be), one (or all) of the Mimics or one of the Felanes (I can imagine Powerpaw watching human kisses with a curious expression).

Captain Hesperus

Last edited by a moderator:
(I can imagine Powerpaw watching human kisses with a curious expression).

Great...

Thank you, Cap'n!  Now I have Powerpaw in my head shouting and pointing.  "HEY!  LOOKIT DAT!  DEY'S LIP-WRESTLIN'!  IS DAT A FEAT?!  DEY IZ SUCKIN' FACE LIKE DERE AIN'T NO TOMORROW!  WHOA!  AND DEY IZ SMILIN' TOO!  HOW KIN DEY BREATHE UNDER ALL DAT?  IZZAT NATURAL?!  WHOA!"

=)

I understand your reluctance to allow a Metamagic Rod in the game.  Thanks for sharing your reasoning, and letting me know before 10th level when I was going to take the Craft Rod Feat to make one for myself.  Now I need to rethink my Bonus Feat that I get as a Wizard for 10th level.  But you are still good with Luna crafting her Wand of Magic Missiles?

Oh, definitely!  That's well within her abilities.  Might I recommend you make the wand special?  You know, Luna-like in some way?  

For example, I have never been in favor of every caster casting a spell the same exact way.  I mean, the effects and mechanics should be the same as what's been decided between the Dungeon Master and PCs, but the image?  I can't think of the right word or term here...  The...  "theatrical effect"?  No, that's not it.

Hmm.  Let me go with an example instead:

When Shalin casts Magic Missile, though it takes only one hand to do it, his party members see him suddenly pull this great Elvish longbow, dressed brightly with Gray Elvish runes, made of golden magic.  This he pulls out of nowhere and with it, he launches his missiles from it, then the longbow immediately vanishes and that's the end of the spell.  Sure, it's the same 1st level spell he's had since he got it, but it's a lot cooler than just shooting the same Magic Missiles everyone else shoots, right?  

Sometimes it's not just what you do but how you do it.  Plus, Shalin being a sorcerer has his own sense of style.  I think it's eye-opening and fun to see him go all out (especially with his big spells).  =)

So, perhaps Luna's magic Wand of Magic Missiles cause its missiles to look like small comets or something fiery without actually doing fire damage?  Just something to have fun with.  =)

A lot of what you are talking about is "Special Effect".  In my superhero game of Champions, every hero can buy the power Blast to attack their targets.  But what makes it different is the special effect of each power.  Is the attack a lightning bolt, or a TK Punch?  Each one on paper will be the same, but the reaction to the target can be very different.  Imagine shooting a robot with the lightning bolt, or a person in the water with a bunch of people around.  That will do more to the target (and the environment) than the TK Punch will.

So, are we going to have Glider do the training during our downtime with RpN?  When can I start to make the changes to Luna for level 9?

While Champions' "Special Effect" sounds neat (I remember that from when I played it), we're not quite talking about the same thing, I'm afraid.  The difference being - the effect is the same in Sharseya.  A Magic Missile spell acts exactly as it does out of the Core Rulebook.  However, in Sharseya, the "casting method" can be different in that can be personalized to the individual caster's style! =)

Using Magic Missile again as an example - a shadowy Eastern-style arcanist might throw out shuriken, a fey caster may fire off porcupine needles with long green trails, and an African Shaman might toss magical skulls that laughed en route to their target.  The effect is the same - they are all Magic Missile spells with the exact same definition as in the Core Rulebook - they're just cast in a way that's special to each caster.  =)

So, are we going to have Glider do the training during our downtime with RpN?  When can I start to make the changes to Luna for level 9?

Oh my gosh!  This again?!

Answer: NO.

=(

*signs off for the night and does something else.*

Dann, I understand that you are reducing all the different Magic Missiles there to mere "flavor", however...

If my shaman fires off laughing skulls, while they might be identical to the vanilla spell, couldn't they potentially achieve an intimidating effect against superstitious or easily scared individuals? Or maybe my eastern arcanist could spam those shuriken-looking Magic Missiles from different directions in order to trick an enemy into thinking there is a whole squad of ninjas coming at them! :D

"Decoration."  That's probably the best word to use.

Wolf, all of this is just an expression of individual style.  Using your examples, if the people are easily intimidated anyway, then having a person create magic out of thin air might be cause enough for intimidation. If one caster is scary and the next is silly, I'd like them to be able to express that. As for missiles coming from different locations, well, that's not how Magic Missile works.

All I'm saying is - a character can add their own decorative flavor or element of style to a spell or even a feat if they so choose.  It's just self expression. That's all.  

One more example using the spell Stinking Cloud.  Upon casting the spell, a classy mage might create a magical pipe and blow the disgusting cloud upon her opponents in some graceful fashion, while a crass arcanist with the manners of a typical barbarian might just bend over and let one rip on his foes.

Same spell, same effect, completely different decoration.  There it is - self-expression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure! 

Keep in mind that any character with decent Spellcraft knowledge will immediately know what spell is being cast regardless of its decoration.

When it comes time for me to make my Wand of Magic Missiles that I want, does my Evoker bonuses to damage of that school add to the wand or when I fire off a MM from the wand?

I understand your reluctance to allow a Metamagic Rod in the game. Thanks for sharing your reasoning, and letting me know before 10th level when I was going to take the Craft Rod Feat to make one for myself. Now I need to rethink my Bonus Feat that I get as a Wizard for 10th level. But you are still good with Luna crafting her Wand of Magic Missiles?

Yes. She has both the Feat and the means. I think all she needs is the time in-game to put it together.

When it comes time for me to make my Wand of Magic Missiles that I want, does my Evoker bonuses to damage of that school add to the wand or when I fire off a MM from the wand?

Neither. A Wand of Magic Missiles is as it comes straight out of the box; a wand is not created with any bonuses or disadvantages from its creator. Luna's Evoker bonuses are added to spells she personally casts.

That said, if Luna wanted to make her wand more mighty, then perhaps we could create an in-game reason for it and make it something of a side quest. Nothing major, just some research on her part, die rolls on your part, and if the dice are willing, then Luna might have to find an extra ingredient to add to said wand. However, keep in mind that the property would fall to the wand and not Luna. This means if a bad guy picked up that very wand and knew how to use it, he or she would get the full benefits of the item.

How does this sound, Sherwood?

Something else for everyone to mentally nom on here...

Sherwood Sherwood Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr Kaerri Kaerri Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus
How would you guys like to go on a dungeon?

With the shift in situation (that being your asking Shalin & Havoc to get the Wayward Wanderers to Highwind swiftly) and Bren's desire to become the first Paladin of Mielikki (since Dayne's death; what a great character he was!), this creates an opportunity around which I can create a dungeon for all of you to adventure in together.

Mind you, you'd be reaching Highwind first (and by "you" I mean the Wayward Wanderers and everyone with them; once there, some characters will go their own way; expect an emptier wagon upon reaching Highwind). Your characters would be 9th level. The dungeon is Brendoran's quest to become a paladin.

If this sounds like fun, I'd like to put in the effort to do it. I mean, what's a Dungeons & Dragons game without dungeons?

Your thoughts?

I would relish going on a little dungeon adventure! And so would Nivirea, I'm sure, once she's had a long soak in that tremendous pool and a good night's rest *woof*

Rogues and Dungeons go together like "You enter an empty room.." and "I search for traps!"

Captain Hesperus

How are wizards trained in your world? Is it a single apprentice to one Master, or is it more like a school, with several students learning from many teachers, Hogwarts style?

Concerning Shalin and Havoc's tale, if you'd like some tabletop details, open the spoiler below:

Here are a few facts about The Last Resort's battle with Gannog the Destroyer. Enjoy. =)
1. Jotunheim Giants have double the Hit Dice of their mortal counterparts. Gannog was a 20th level giant not counting his Barbarian levels. The party was about 15th level. When Gannog raged, his hit points totalled over 300. Despite the party's buffs, the Jotunheim Barbarian could hit anyone in the party except for the paladin on a 3 or better on a d20.

2. Gannog possessed a Giant-sized Keen (double chance of critting) great axe +5 that, during the first round of combat, critically hit one of The Last Resort for 98 hit points of damage in a single hit. That character had 4 hit points left after that hit (the player just about had a heart attack). =)

3. The Last Resort had prepared and researched their opponent like never before and it paid off in the long run. Although it came close several times, no one in the party died. They also displayed the kind of teamwork that only comes with years of adventuring together (Real Life years). For example, Kaerri, fresh of health for the moment, took an attack of opportunity from Gannog so that their paladin could get back into the fight. That simple act might have saved the party from ruin and death.

4. The Last Resort came away with a stunning amount of treasure, so much in fact they could not haul it all away. Just getting to the treasure, looting it, and making away with it was something of a side adventure (some of the items were intelligent and were attempting to sway the party one way or another; the trap on the door to the treasure was DC 30 to inspect and DC 40 to attempt to disable; the trap turned out to be a Hellball custom spell that did 10d6 damage 4 times, each time with its own damaging element [yes, that's 40d6 damage if all 4 saves were failed]. Through good role-playing and using their heads, they found away around the trap).

5. After talking the party into fighting Gannog, with many utterances of confidence and battle ideas, their paladin, Ragnar the Bold of Thor (NPC) declared his joyous delight and surprise, after the battle basically exclaiming, "We should not have been able to win that combat! Go team!" Surprised, the rest of the party wanted to send Ragnar back to Valhalla when he divulged that (O.K., not really, but close). =) Ohhh, those paladins. =)

Last edited:
How are wizards trained in your world? Is it a single apprentice to one Master, or is it more like a school, with several students learning from many teachers, Hogwarts style?

Depends. It can be either of your examples, or a wizard might find himself traveling from one master to the next. It really depends upon what kinds of resources (usually money and reputation) the wizard has. Luna, coming from a well-to-do family and having gone to the "Knowledge College" of Boccob, definitely went the "Hogwarts" way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back