• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Twelve

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm afraid not.

My life recently has been a great deal of work and sleep. I will post when I'm able.

Hey, Gang! Read in-game first again, if you would.

Concerning Nivirea, let's talk dice and damage.

Nivirea used all three of her actions to cast Magic Missile. That means she gets three missiles to direct as she wishes and Wolf said Nivi was tossing all three into the nearest Warg. Unlike Luna's Burning Hands spell, Magic Missile does not grant its target a Saving Throw. Magic Missile automatically hits (except for in very rare circumstances; this is not one of them). Each missile causes 1d4+1 force damage. I roll 6. Add 3. That's a total of 9 Hit Points damage, more than enough to take down the Young Warg 1. Nice, Wolf! =)

* * *​

Time again for some Shop Talk PF 2.0 style.

Now take a good look at your Tactical Map in the spoiler there. The following changes have been made:

1. Young Warg 1 is down (go Wolf!) but his rider is unharmed, hence the new token there, "Warg Rider 1". That's the goblin with the spear and shield just below the fallen Young Warg 1.
2. I have also renamed "Warg Rider 2" to "Warg and Rider 2" to show there are two creatures in the same spot.
3. Also, you'll notice that orange square centered on Paladin Bria, there? That's a Condition! Typically speaking, something bad happens when you have one on you. Sometimes you get a Saving Throw (which Bria made and the "Warg and Rider 1" did not) and sometimes you don't.

I'm calling this Condition, "Foxes, foxes, everywhere!" Last turn, Paladin Bria freed the little canines from their cages (on Young Warg 2 of "Warg and Rider 2"). Anyone in or moving through any of those spaces will gain this new Condition. At this time, "Warg and Rider 2" and Paladin Bria are all under the effects of this Condition until either they move out of it or the Condition ends.

What effect does this Condition have? I'll give you the details on this one. Either you succeed a Will Saving Throw (DC 15) or you get so confused, startled, and turned around by this pack of hyper foxes all over you that you take a -3 penalty to your current Initiative Order. Since the goblin and young warg failed, their Initiative gets knocked down 3 steps. That gives Otiorin and Luna one last chance to get them before they get away and raise the alarm!

Do expect Conditions to be a thing as we continue onward. Ask if you have questions. =)

Color
Battle in the Red Cave - Color 04.jpg
(Image credit: Michael Fitzhywel and Roll20.net)

Tactical
Battle in the Red Cave - Tactical 04.jpg

And here's our Initiative Order for Round 2
Bren - Natural 20! (Used Ready action to Channel Energy upon Nivirea, healing Nivirea)
Goblins - 21
Otiorin - 20 (fired two arrows for 11 Hit Points damage to Warg 1)
Luna - 19 (cast Burning Hands slaying Goblin with dogslicer and 5 Hit Points of damage to Warg Rider 2 and Young Warg 2)
"Warg and Rider 2" - 18 (failed save from "Foxes, Foxes, everywhere!" Condition).
Bria - 18 (freed 12 captive foxes from Warg Rider 2)
Oreleth - 17 (attacked "Goblin with Spiked Chains" twice with short sword and missed)
Nivirea - 5 (Cast full-power Magic Missile on Young Warg 1 of "Warg and Rider 1" and slew it)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie All that said... I need to ask all of you - how do you like this set-up with the maps and Initiative Order I'm putting up here? Does this playstyle work or not work for you? Enquiring Dungeon Masters kinda need want to know. =)

Kaerri Kaerri Wayward Wanderer leader is up! Go for it, Pika-Bren! =)

I just wish that I had the skills to be able to do similar in my games. This set-up is pretty cool. It helps to keep down any confusion on stuff like, "Is an ally in the AOE of my spell?" Or, "Can I flank this target?"

My only complaint is that I missed my target twice! Grrr!

Seriously, I also like the battle map, pretty much for the same reasons that Sherwood has said.

I had no idea how much HP goblins and wargs might have, so I decided to play it safe. We really don't want any goblin reinforcements!

The map & initiative order is more than adequate. I just wish you could find a way not to have to duplicate the maps to show both grid and background color!

My only real complaint is that I'm too far away to pet the foxes! ^3^ *woof*

I had no idea how much HP goblins and wargs might have, so I decided to play it safe. We really don't want any goblin reinforcements!

The map & initiative order is more than adequate. I just wish you could find a way not to have to duplicate the maps to show both grid and background color!

My only real complaint is that I'm too far away to pet the foxes! ^3^*woof*

1. And that, dear Wolf, is just good roleplaying to me! Of course, your characters don't want these guys getting away - never fight on your opponent's terms/make them fight on yours whenever possible! Good thinking on your part!

2. I wish I could remember how I did that (during the Ambush of the Monk/Mages of Wee Jas)! I think the map I chose already had grid-lines in it (this latest one does not)? Plus, Roll20 does not allow for certain information to be shared on the color map (the "Foxes, Foxes, everywhere!" orange condition, for example). Another mystery to unravel...

3. Ha ha ha! You don't want to pet them right now! Save for "one," they are just one big riled up pile of angry fangs and snarls! =)

How many times can I recast a spell? I wasn't sure before, but now with Pathfinder 2.0 I am even less sure.

Also, why do you keep pasting the same spoilered Goblins! picture? As if we could forget there are goblins! :P *woof*

Nivirea can only cast what she has memorized. On Nivirea's character sheet, tab over to her Spells and Spellbook tab. Minus Magic Missile, those are the cantrips and spells she has at her disposal until the party rests again. Keep in mind, your characters are still decked out in 6th-10th level gear (all the gear you have earned since game start, years ago), most of which you'll find quite useful (and some you won't).

A Wizard is not like a Sorcerer when it comes to casting spells. Sorcerers have a (relatively) small selection of spells that they can pick and choose and cast whenever they wish; Wizards can only cast what spells they elect to memorize and no more, however they have a far, far broader selection of what to memorize. Furthermore, Wizards can specialize in an arcane school whereas Sorcerers cannot. Since Luna was specialized in Evocation magic, Nivirea is able to make use of those benefits.

Re: Goblin. It ain't all about you! *tease tease* I post that because I really like that artwork! It helps me! When I see that chain-swinging, grinning, little greaseball, it sets something off in this brain of mine that says, "Remember what makes goblins goblins in my game!" After seeing it, I remember to roleplay their snarky remarks, their cunning and conniving behaviors, and everything that makes them goblinoid in my head.

I'll remove it if it bothers you? =)

I will get a Bren-post and map-thoughts-post up tomorrow.

Thanks for the explanation, Dann. I already knew most of that stuff just wasn't sure about the recast number. Sorcerers have X number of casts of spell Y, but Wizards have unlimited I gues? That would make sense since they have much fewer spells available.

The only unlimited spells you have are your Cantrips. They can be cast over and over again without losing them. Your other spells have to be selected ahead of time when you study your magic at the beginning of the day. The benefit that a Sorcerer has is that they can pick any spell from their library to throw on the fly without having to pick them out way ahead of time.

I, too, wish the maps could be merged for simplicity's sake, but that's my only real "complaint."

Other thoughts:
-- As the party's current healer, would you be able to list the damage we receive as well as the actions we take? If the actual numbers aren't permitted for Reasons, would it be OK just to say that someone had been hit? Granted, I can (and did, just now) scroll through previous posts to see, so it isn't all that necessary, but it would be convenient.
-- Would it be relatively easy to put our names under our pictures? I don't want to make a hassle, so ignore if it's complicated. It would just be easier if they were there, since we haven't seen combat in a while and the pictures are a little unfamiliar. I remembered Luna's, I know Bren's, and Otiorin is the other male present so that was easy enough, but I guessed Bria, Nivirea, and Oreleth based on descriptions of the action. Again, I could just go look it up on their character sheets, this is just a convenience suggestion.

Nothing else comes to mind at present.

Those are good suggestions. I can make those happen. =)

Edited Bren's post because I didn't fully understand what flat-footed meant (it's a -2 to Armor Class and won't slow anyone's movement unless they Critical Fumble, which I don't want to count on).

Not for the day, but until the Wayward Wanderers rest again. While I'm still learning how spells work in PF 2.0, I believe one can rest and get their spells back (unlike previous editions of Dungeons and Dragons).

Indeed. I'm just wondering how I might be able to make the best use of my second spell of the fight.

Just had to unwatch and re-watch the main thread again!
Sigh, all together now:
"There is nothing wrong with the notification system..."

Captain Hesperus

Heya, folks! Life Beyond the Computer Screen has been pretty active recently (including my smartphone hard-bricking [effectively permanently dying]). I hope to post here tomorrow. =)

Hey, Gang! Read in-game first again, if you would.

There's a lot happening in this part of the round. I'll break it down in bits:

1. Attacks of Opportunity
Brendoran moved away from the Goblin with Spiked Chains, but he sufferers no attack of opportunity. Why?

Attacks of Opportunity (AoO) work much like they did in Pathfinder 1.0, except now a lot less people have them. Every Fighter starts with AoO as a Reaction-based Feat. That means it doesn't cost them any of their actions to attack someone moving through their threatened space (though they still must have a melee weapon in hand to make use of it). Plus, being a Reaction, it requires a trigger to activate (that trigger being someone moving through their threatened space). Also, this free attack does not have any of the negative attack modifiers for attacking several times in a round. So, if your Fighter used the Strike (basic attack) action once in the round, then someone activated their AoO, they would swing again with full bonuses. This makes sense to me, for who would chance a Fumble if it didn't work that way, right?

2. Bren healed Nivirea and threatened Warg Rider 1. Kaerri and Bren both know that Bria never willingly hurt any living creature, and quite possibly for good reason. So, I took all of Bren's epic years of expertise in his classes as Fighter, Ranger, and now Paladin into effect and figured, yes, this little goblin is going to feel quite threatened! Good going!

3. Oscar performs a Readied Action. Having nothing better to do, Oscar (in his cover with the other red, furry creatures you have just now discovered him with) attempted to trick the goblins into going for the treasure and not for reinforcements. I allowed him a Deception skill roll with a +2 Circumstance bonus (using the tunnel walls to augment the sound of his voice). Unfortunately, he rolled a 1. I hope you enjoyed the ensuing scene. =)

4. The melee goblins rushed Bria. They used a Stride action to get within melee distance of her, and then each swung twice. As a Free Action not on her turn, I allowed Bria to shout back at them while they did this (she really wanted them to know just who they were up against - her Forest Goddess, Mielikki!). They could not roll high enough to beat her Armor Class of 22.

5. The same could not be said of the ranged goblins. The one with the bow got lucky twice (though he did not Critically Hit - that would have been really bad) on Luna.

6. I realize now that I goofed and let the badly-wounded Warg Rider 2 and Young Warg 2 their turn prior to their Initiative Order. Whoops! They didn't cause any damage and I doubt their using the Step to flank will change much during Otiorin's turn, so I'll leave the maps be (and not do them all over again). =)

7. Per Kaerri's requests, I added the names of the PCs. I also added missing hit points beside their names ("Luna -6"). Unfortunately, the names cover each other up on the map. I don't see any other way on Roll20 to do this via screenshot, so it's this plus the notes in Initiative Order to keep us all on the same page!

Here is what the maps look like now.

Color 05
Battle in the Red Cave - Color 05.jpg

Tactical 05
Battle in the Red Cave - Tactical 05.jpg

And here's our Initiative Order for Round 2
Bren - Natural 20! (Used Ready action to Channel Energy upon Nivirea again, threatening Warg Rider 1)
Ranged Goblins - 21
Otiorin - 20 (fired two arrows for 11 Hit Points damage to Warg 1)
Luna - 19 (Struck for 6 Hit Points of damage by Goblin with Long Bow. Cast Burning Hands slaying Goblin with dogslicer and 5 Hit Points of damage to Warg Rider 2 and Young Warg 2)
Melee Goblins - 18 (failed save from "Foxes, Foxes, everywhere!" Condition). (Have gone already on Round 2; Initiative dropped due to "Foxes, Foxes, Everywhere!" condition.)
Bria - 18 (freed 12 captive foxes from Warg Rider 2)
Oreleth - 17 (attacked "Goblin with Spiked Chains" twice with short sword and missed)
Nivirea - 5 (Cast full-power Magic Missile on Young Warg 1 of "Warg and Rider 1" and slew it)

Again, thanks a bunch for your thoughts on the maps and Initiative Order, Gang! =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus It's Oti's turn! =)

Dannigan? Where on the map is the satchel with the other sword in relation to Oreleth now? Just trying to plan ahead on what to do on my turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back