• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Twelve

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries, Wolf! You know me; I'm not into pressuring people. I want you (all) here to have fun! =)

Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr I was hoping you'd been off doing something fun! I figured you were pretty busy since you hadn't been posting in Amaranth either, although there I'd guessed you were gearing up for the next chapter and talking to the new recruits.

Sorry to tell you, Luna is not getting all kissy face with Nivirea. We'll have to find another way to switch back.

That was a brilliant thought there, Psychie. I am thinking you are on to something.

Gang, I am so glad you are all having fun with this! I had a wonderful time putting this together and it's far from over! =)

Whaaa-

Alright, I suddenly feel quite motivated to catch up on posting... *rrrrrrr*

This made me laugh out loud! Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr You are hilarious! Ha ha ha! =)

This scene is such fun to read! Thank you all! =)

He gently brushed the dust off its time-worn cover and carefully leafed through its parchment pages, each heavy with the sage knowledge of mages past.
He lifted it up then placed it firmly in Luna’s hands.

Ha ha ha! Wow!

What do we have here? I'll tell you! Gang? We have here before us a true and exciting roleplaying opportunity that comes along only once in a rare time! You ready for a hyper-rant? Here we go! =)

The "book" that folks have been referring to in-game is, of course, Luna's spellbook. I started playing Dungeons & Dragons when magic was still really magic and the good games were the stuff of pipe-dreams, children's fantasies, and the stuff of adult-made legends. The game has since become something a very different since I started, but boy is RPing popular now!
The point my hyper mind is trying to assemble together is this - except in the rarest of circumstances, a Wizard's spellbook is their most prized possession. Each Wizard has worked so hard and so long to put that thing together that a grand spellbook is like a library unto itself, often protected by the most powerful means available to the Wizard. Cap'n? Remember your favorite evil bard? The one that trapped his little notebook with an Explosive Runes spell and caught Oti by surprise? You guys should really see how Grand Wizards and Archmagi protect their life's work! =)

So yeah. In the days before we had Pathfinder, every Magic User's spellbook was something to be treasured and respected, and while I realize very well that the year is now 2019, I come from the stuff of an earlier age. Had we been playing when I started, there would be war in the party right now, at least, among my typical players (which you are not, I'm happy to say!).

To pick up a spellbook, and then, without explicit permission, peruse through the pages of a Magic User's spellbook is a heavy-handed virtual slap across the face of its owner if not a declaration of battle. It really is like saying, "You are unworthy of being a Wizard. You clearly cannot protect the precious secrets you have fought for. Your masters and college wasted their time on you." In fact, throwing the spellbook on the naked earth in anger is less of an offense. Anyone remember Gandalf the White and his enchanted staff and how he did his all to keep it before he entered the hall of the Rohirrim to face Grima Wormtongue? Yeah. It's like that but worse. And if you think I'm exaggerating, please do ask any of the white-haired diehard 1st Edition players out there (while you still can). =)

Why all the fuss, you might ask in 2019? Well, have you considered this? Unlike every other spellcasting class in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, if a Wizard loses her spellbook, she cannot memorize spells! Period! She has to start all over again....

No one understands this better than the Wizards themselves. They realized back when they were initiates that you can replace precious swords, holy symbols, rods, thieves' tools, armor, etc. but not this. No two spellbooks are exactly alike and for good reason. To destroy a Wizard's spellbook? O.K., that's bad but on rare occasions, it happens. But... if Luna lost or had her spellbook stolen, Luna would have to go through the arduous, expensive (a blank spellbook costs at least 100 gold pieces), and embarrassing task of having to craft or find another spellbook. And let's not even talk about the loss of face of the Wizards in Summerset found out. Or far worse. Her noble family.

Now that the history lesson is done, Gang, here's the fun part!

Back in the day, we didn't have Sorcerers. Magic-Users were basically today's Wizards. A typical Sorcerer knows little of book-study and even less of risking one's life and limb (not to mention their party's) after every time-etched scroll and dust-covered tome.

And what do we have here? Two characters with Sorcerer experience (Nivirea, Otiorin) treating the party's only spellbook (Luna's) in the ways their players have described.

So, if you guys and gals would like, we can say that, yes, your characters fully realize this or, no, not being the type, they did not associate with Wizards enough to understand the true value of that most precious tome.

I'm willing to go either way or to take a new road (or ignore this altogether), but we should come to a conclusion before we move on.

May I hear your thoughts, folks?

Last edited:
I'm stuck posting from my tablet that doesn't have the 2.0 PDF on it or else I would look this up: There was a Feat in 1e that would let a Wizard memorize spells without having to study them from the spellbook, equal to your Int bonus. It was on the short list of powers that a Wizard could learn as one of their bonus Feats at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th levels. Its called Spell Mastery. Does that exist in 2.0?

There were a lot of Feats in Pathfinder 1.0 that I liked and some I definitely didn't like (usually the overpowered Feats or the Feats that effectively gave one class a class feature of another).

If one were to take the D&D 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder 1.0 Feat list from all of the books available (not counting online sources), you could make just about anything for any game. While the system could get overcomplicated (hence D&D 5.0/Pathfinder 2.0), it's still fun to look back from time to time at the creativity in those pages. =)

Terrific post, Sherwood!

Thanks for all the likes, Wolf!

=)

I had no idea that it was such as big deal, so naturally I wrote in accordance with my ignorance. Nivirea is probably better educated on things arcane than I am, but it wouldn't be surprising if she too, didn't realize the full extent of the book's importance. With that in mind, I believe it makes the RPing only more compelling *woof*

Same here, Wolf! If Nivirea were a wizard instead of a sorcerer, I definitely would have written a different post here.

There are also many adventurers out there who specialize in their own class and, even at high levels, sometimes remain relatively ignorant of others ("What?! Since when did Bards know all ths lore stuff? All they do is sing and play, don't they?"). It is the wise adventurer that studies all of the classes.

It sounds in-character to me, Wolf, if your character doesn't know a thing about wizard spellbooks, nor what she did when she threw Luna's down like that.

I say, let the RP fun continue!

Firstly, I apologize to you all for not posting here or in Broadsword. It just hasn't been a good posting week for me (in fact I wasn't on the site at all Friday or Saturday, except for dropping something in a PM). I should have said something, but I kept hoping the next day would be better. Sorry :/
Elinor got her post up today, and I hope to post as Bren tonight or tomorrow.

RP-wise:
Under the current circumstances, it makes sense to me that Nivirea might have some idea of a spellbook's arcane importance (because we all meditated and "learned" how to use our transformed classes). On the other hand, we still remembered ourselves, and had our own remembered background and culture, so it also makes sense that Nivirea wouldn't know just how culturally or personally important it was. I thought Wolf's post was perfectly in line with what I've seen of her so far.

Most of Bren's adventuring experience with arcanists has been with sorcerers and the occasional bard. I don't think he would quite get it either.

Well, one thing to think about is that Luna's spellbook has never been brought forth as a role playing subject before she had the fairies work some magic on it, to give it the glowing lettering and such. Its would have been different if Dann had required me to post 'Luna grabs her spellbook to memorize her daily Magic Missile spells', or if I had made a point to say that myself more often. It was more that it was simply understood that as she was spending her hour in the morning preparing spells, it was with my book.

True. If I were you, I'd mention the book more often, if only to remind everyone (including myself) that it's actually there *woof*

Because through all the time we've played this game, whenever I conjured up an image of Luna in my mind, it was the redheaded girl in those fancy robes as pictured in her character sheet, holding a wizard's staff with a grin. I completely forgot about the spellbook, and at some point wasn't even sure if it was physically there or just a device of game mechanics. When really, as I have now been made aware, I shouldn't be able to envision Luna without her spellbook *woof*

Excellent idea, Wolf. Some Wizard players don't mention their spellbook at all, others sometimes. But the really creative ones? They do more than mention it; they use it as more than just a spellbook. They bring it into the game like an old friend that doubles as a journal, dungeon aid, geography aid, notebook, etc.. While they're playing, they refer to their spellbook whenever their own head fails them. These types also play terrific book nerds! Above all, they definitely have a lot more fun with it than those who hardly mention their spellbook at all. =)

I never imagined Luna with a staff. The only "staff" Luna has are the servants back at the Callen estate in Summerset. =)

"My parents were supportive, once I'd tol- Once they caught me, I should say," she corrected herself, smiling a little. "No doubt about that. In fact, they were trying harder to help than I realized at the time. I was blinded by all the things arcane and Fey, all the possibilities that lay at my fingertips. I wanted to do, not talk. Experiment, not read and theorize. If it was safe, it was boring, and if it took time then I lacked the patience. I resented anyone who did not approve of me. I didn't care, because I was getting somewhere with my approach. I still think my family failed to recognize that. They saw me as a troublemaker, when I was an explorer - if a mischievous explorer at that. Ah, I did so enjoy the mischief," she grinned. "Even now, having grown older and wiser, I like to think that I still haven't lost those things that always felt like... Well, me.

An excellently-written point of view from someone living the life of a Sorcerer. Why study when the power is already in you? Sorcerous magic is like a mutant power out of Marvel Comics - it's something that you are. Your bloodline, especially so. Keep in mind this is the first time, ever, that Nivirea has been without her Fey Bloodline. You guys and gals have seen my words in reference to Otiorin's dragon-related issues? That internal being inside of him? For Nivirea, it's different.

There is a freedom, a wildness, she has always known there with useful powers at her fingertips whenever she asked. That wildness is a thing Nivirea has long locked down until it served her. Think of your character as a wild and hot-blooded teenager, now channel inside of them the very stuff of nymphs or satyrs whose passions are legendary even out of game. At its worst, Nivirea as a teenager was probably making regular Will Saving Throws to avoid getting into mischief or casting spells or cantrips at inopportune times. In other words, the Fey bloodline often threatened to do as it would. It took her years to get self-control. Since her beginning of play, Nivirea has been the master of these powerful feelings.

Not so Luna. And though Sherwood has not responded in-character to address it, all of you can be sure - the power of Fey (specifically seductive and alluring nymph-blood as her character was designed around) is a thing only the foolish should ignore.

While Nivirea now far from ugly, she is but a shadow of her former beauty and grace without her Fey blood, and that beauty and grace has gotten her things in life even well out of the reach of her nobility. When Nivirea walked by in the Summerset public streets, especially wearing something attractive, men (and some women) would stop what they were doing and sometimes gawk in fascination or desire. Nor was this was not limited to humans.

Now all that is gone and inside of Luna.

Just something to think about. Again, good writing, Wolf! =)

Heya Gang! I hope to post tomorrow sometime. Hope you and yours are happy and healthy! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back