• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Heya folks!

I am moving our OOC chat here and I'll continue to open a new thread like this one as we go from chapter to chapter. For one thing, it makes finding OOC material much easier.

Have fun!

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Real Life pending, I'll post tomorrow. =)

Now, Sherwood has no idea who this Oscar of Highwind is, but Luna might have heard of him. Who is/was he?

Edit: I have a +11 on my Knowledge: Local, History, Religion, and Nobility, so under one of those categories, I may have heard of this guy.

Ah, actually, Luna has heard of him and I believe we covered that awhile back in-game. Not to make you go through the archives, but I don't recall when it was. But one thing is for certain...

...Oscar's name has come up before in-game. =)

Why does that name sound so familiar? I know I've heard it before... But who was he? "Bren? Bria? Please tell me, who was this man, and why does his death weigh so heavily on the people of Highwind?"

Heya Sherwood and Cap'n and Wolf! This is the best way to handle the confusion of who Oscar of Highwind was - in-game! Ol' Killfire has me pegged when he says things like, "When in doubt, Dannigan will tell you just roleplay it!"

I for one don't want anyone here to have to go through literally hundreds of our posts to find where Oscar was mentioned to the Wayward Wanderers. So thanks for asking in-game! This is perfectly in-character for all concerned! =)

Right, though in all honesty if our characters have already learned something, then there should be nothing wrong with the Storyteller reminding us OOC about it. After all, you'd be reminding the players, not the characters, you know? It's kinda unfair to expect us to remember things across years of roleplaying, while for our characters it's been days or weeks so naturally everything should be fresh in their minds.

That said I'm an exception this time, since Wolf was the one who might have heard of Oscar, not Nivirea. I'm fairly sure that Nivirea would have been to Highwind before at least once on a trip with her father, albeit as a child so she wouldn't really remember much - so even in that case Oscar's name wouldn't have left a mark. Unless he's so important that people all the way in Summerset would have known him, especially the nobles. Possibly.

Just something to keep in mind *woof*

Oh yeah, but why remind you in OOC when we can roleplay it instead and kill two birds with one stone? =)

Just to clear this up - you mistake my intent, Wolf. No one is "expecting you to remember things across years of roleplaying." Ask yourself - when was the last time I demanded any of you look up this sort of information? Have I really struck you as that sort of Game Master? Have I not instead helped you remember things many a time (especially rules) instead of "expecting" you recall them all?

If there is information important to the party that they should know, I include it. But since I am running this game, I do it my way.

In this case, I figured the fun way was to do it in-game hence my praise of Sherwood having Luna ask and start the ball rolling. We are here to roleplay after all, right? =)

Only once in all this time in RP Nation (in Robotech: Broadsword) was I so bogged down in Game Mastering did I get so tired of looking something up that I asked another person to look it up for me. I even turned it into a challenge with Action Points as the reward. Sherwood won by getting me the information I requested. Win-win all the way.

So, some benefit of the doubt here, please? I've had a tough day, bud (work was nuts today plus today is my beloved mother's birthday. She's not alive to celebrate it and so I miss her. Please forgive my dour mood. I should return to myself tomorrow). =)

Heya folks!

Tired but overactive imagination + thoughts that don't go away = post. Or put another way, since I can't sleep, I decided to write. I'm going to try again (sleep, that is). Enjoy the post. =)

EDIT: Thanks for the like, Kaerri. That feels good.

Last edited:
I hope to post tomorrow and move the story forward. Hope Real Life is treating you well, folks! =)

I wasn't getting alerts on this for some reason. :/

Just to add to the earlier discussion: It's tradition in Dannigan's D&D games (which the Sharseya story was originally created as) that players are responsible for any character knowledge that was acquired in-game. In tabletop games, this led me to take a lot of notes, though sometimes those notes are just a "roll call" of which characters were present at the start of the night and a record of what loot was acquired (Bren's former party had a lot of player characters, and not all players made it to all sessions). Things moved a lot faster in tabletop, of course; on the other hand, any player notes were the only written record we had to search through! We're lucky here in that everything is "written down" and searchable, even if it does represent years of discussions.

Player memory can also be taken as representative of character memory. I still have the dragon Koshianth's meeting with the Wanderers vividly etched in my mind, as no doubt it was on Kitrin's! The dragon's exact words elude me, however, and probably that's true for my character as well. That's not always the case, of course, because players are not their characters, but with the RP being on a forum, we can always go back and reread to refresh our player memories. (And fortunately this one's broken up into chapters! There's some RPs that are all in a single thread, going back thousands of pages (no, I'm not kidding, and I didn't mistype - there's one that's literally 8097 pages of IC).

On to what I came to this thread for!

Purr Purr
Neither the Youtube link nor the picture are working properly; the link because apparently its owner set it so that it only plays on YouTube, and the pic because it's a transparent .png.

Mielikki dnd.jpg

Thanks a bunch, darlin'! That is a big help!

As for the tradition, I have always thought highly of players that knew their stuff. =)

Whether it be the rules, their characters, notations in the game, character class, spells, weapons, the game in general, and so forth - skilled players have their act together most of the time - and I cannot help but respect them.

My recommendation of notetaking is but a tool to help players keep their act together if they so decide to. It is not for everyone nor is it meant to be.

But think, when was the last time you were not impressed with someone who pulled some lesser-known fact seemingly out of nowhere especially when it was needed?

So yes, had someone in the party recognized someone like "Oscar of Highwind" and produced information on the spot that helped the party - I very well may have awarded that person with bonus Action Points and congratulated them on their impressive ability to keep such facts in order. Like I told Sherwood, I do not expect anyone to go back and dig through everything to find something like that!

As someone who lives with hyperkinetic disorder, having someone who can do that whether in a game or in Real Life just sends me into applause and praise as I think, "Wow! You remembered something that distant? Go you!"

Such a thing happened recently in Robotech: Broadsword in OOC. A player had a question concerning Perception. Somehow I recalled that very same question coming up before (turned out, it was in February).

Not only did I recall the information accurately, but I was able to track down the very post and reply with the best data I had available!

I felt great! Not to mention surprised! Hey! Go me! 8D

So yeah, friends. That is what that old tradition is all about. =)

Ah, so is it Tempus Fugit or Tempus Digit, then? *woof*

By the way, couldn't an immortal being freely peruse the contents of the codex? Not that a divinity would have need of such a thing (or would it?), but perhaps someone else?

I just work here. =)

Players, what do you think?

Depends on who created it and how powerful it is, I'd say. Some deities in Sharseya were originally mortal, and even Mielikki was in mortal danger relatively recently (due to the actions of other gods). It doesn't seem like a safe matter for experimentation, but maybe we can ask someone. ^;3^

I merely reasoned that an immortal creature should be immune to the effects of ageing. It need not necessarily be invulnerable or divine in nature. So there are no stories of such creatures attempting to use the codex? Provided that there is anything immortal other than gods on Sharseya, that is.

And btw, Mielikki would blend in fine as a Dark Souls character, haha :D Nicely written *woof*

Eh, it's mostly the way she talks, I think. Ye olde English. Combined with some speech mannerisms and the overall fantasy theme of the conversation. You'd understand if you played, though it's probably good that you haven't. It's not a game you'd enjoy, Dann :P *woof*

But the comparison was definitely a compliment (^^)

Uhhm, hi. My name is Captain Hesperus (chorus: Hi Captain!) and I'm a delinquent poster. (chorus: supportive clapping).

Captain Hesperus

You are, Cap'n, but you are still loved! Good to see you posting again (even just here in OOC). =)

And should you have any questions about the story thus far, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back