• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Sixteen

Purr Purr I went ahead and added those three healing potions to my sheet and removed the 900 gold needed to buy them.

That's fine by me, bud.

Gang, some heavy Real Life hit me recently and I'm still trying to get my head back into role-playing in general (my games, your games, all of the five games I'm in). I'll try to post something tomorrow.

Stay safe! =)

Thanks for the notice. Take all the time you need.

I mean, we do *try* to be the good guys. :P And I for one never think of NPCs as inventory, much less items. Particularly in Dann's games!

While this is high praise, it is also spot-on - while I think I get the gist of Cap'n's post, both the Meadowsweets and Stewart and even Beatrice would heartily disagree with that interpretation. As for their reasons? You'd have to ask them, of course!

Pls catch up with Dann's latest post ingame before reading. ^;3^

Seeing as we're leaving you poor and empty-handed, do ask Ben about Gori "Mithrilfist" Brightforge if you want a boon companion to take our place? He's a dwarf our family has counted on for years and as good as they come, plus he knows a thing or two about maintenance and dwarf-makings. Tell him we sent you!

Ooh, we can haz a Gori? That gets my vote! I don't think I've ever met him in Sharseya, but I'm quite fond of him elsewhere.

You see, Gori is a character of Dann's that I met first in LOTRO, where he and my elf loremaster got along very well, to say nothing of the dwarven lass I created later on, who is his granddaughter. (To my knowledge, Khered is not in Sharseya -- but Dann, if you want her there, I'm fine with it!)

For those interested, you can see (and hear) Gori in this video. ^;3^ Also my elf Qiredis (standing next to Gori at the very start), and I think Khered's in there somewhere too -- singing if nothing else!

Oh, if we go there, we gotta go here! =)

We had SO MUCH FUN putting this together!

Edit: And if Gori's in Sharseya (and he has been as an NPC in Highwind all this time) why not Khered? =)

"BBB goes to Weatherstock"

Last edited:
Powerpaw when he was just a wittle Kitty-face. =)

"Goodwin, maine coon kitten"

Kaerri Kaerri
Kaerri wants to roll Linguistics to see if she can decipher the message. Pathfinder 2 (which is where we're getting skill descriptions, last I recall?) doesn't have Linguistics as a skill, and instead files Decipher Writing under Society, which Kaerri has 5 ranks in. Will that help?

We are using Pathfinder 2 Skills and that is precisely the way to go. Well done!

Sherwood Sherwood
That Luna is using her father's encyclopedia is excellent, but I need to know which Skill Luna is trying to make use of?

Ah, sorry about that. Since we had a strange vibe from the writing, I'll try Arcana and Occultism. Arcana has an 18 to my roll, and Occultism is a 16.

No worries! I try to have a very good reason behind everything I ask, and this is no exception. I'll get the results for you (and Kaerri) once I have some dice in front of me. =)

Anyone else want in on this action? Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Psychie Psychie

Last edited:
Flipping a few pages, she comes to the listing of her cantrip spell Detect Magic. "Oreleth, hold the scroll so I can read off of my book to cast the spell." Luna then begins to read out of the book, casting her Detect Magic spell to see what comes apparent from the scroll.

Two thoughts I have:

1. Does Luna not have Detect Magic as a cantrip on her own? Why use it out of the book?
2. I don't remember if it works the same in Pathfinder, but as I recall, in D&D, casting a spell directly from a wizard's spellbook would remove it from the spellbook, and the wizard would have to re-inscribe it once she had acquired something to inscribe it from. I therefore tended to think of it as a last-ditch, desperate sort of option, which, since there's several spellcasters present, isn't really the case here. Detect Magic is so basic that somebody's got to have it memorized even if Luna doesn't.

Found other relevant things:

Cantrips: Wizards can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, each day, as noted on Table: Wizard under “Spells per Day.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again. A wizard can prepare a cantrip from a prohibited school, but it uses up two of his available slots (see below).

In case read magic also applies:
Spellbooks: A wizard must study his spellbook each day to prepare his spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spellbook, except for read magic, which all wizards can prepare from memory.

Sherwood Sherwood Kaerri Kaerri

Kaerri is correct here. Casting a spell straight out of the spellbook acts the same way as casting a scroll (the spell vanishes). If Luna casts her Detect Magic cantrip this way instead of memorizing it first, it's gone.

Read Magic does not apply since the language is Braille (and not the language of Magic).

Sherwood Sherwood
Oh. And Luna knows this without fail (this being a very basic thing among Wizards) so you don't need to roll anything to know it. I'm betting this is a case of knowing so many gaming systems that their information mixes things up? I know it happens to me! =)

Whatever the case, I don't want Luna to do something that causes her to lose even a cantrip out of her beloved spellbook. =)

Ah. I was thinking that since I had not declared what spells I have had memorized prior to this, I would need to cast it from the book. If I don't have to, I will happily edit my post accordingly.

No. Never cast from the spellbook unless you're willing to lose the spell. =) As for your memorized spells, folks go with what they last declared until stated otherwise (as that seems to work best on Play-by-Post games). What did Luna last have memorized? Mind, if she doesn't have it in her head, there are plenty of other casters in the party that probably do.

Let me know then please edit away! =)

Hmm. I typically have Luna memorize Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic, and Detect Magic for her Cantrips, so I should be good to go. I'll tweak the IC post now.

Works for me, bud! Remember, as a reward for adventures past, Sparkle can cast three cantrips as well. Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, and... Detect Magic. =)

Good to know. But I'm such a doofus that I had completely forgotten about my purchase of the Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic. Could have used that, too.

Edited my post to include something I just remembered.

When Luna starts casting, though, she raises a hand. "You might want to do that inside the wagon. Highwindians are pretty wary of open spellcasting. We don't want to cause a ruckus."

Sherwood Sherwood Does Luna take or not take this advice?

That is damn funny. Like having a hydra with different names for each head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back