• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Sixteen

I want to continue to enjoy the game, and keep my friends and fellow players happy, too. I'll drop the Gravity Bow spell. That is a start.

Well, its not like Luna can't do a hell of a lot of damage on her own. A Maximized Fire Bolt does 79 hit points of damage, and that is just a second level spell, granted it is boosted up, but still.

Well, all of this information is fresh and my brain's kind of tired (I'm just drifting and enjoying your company right now). I'm going to give all this a good night's sleep before I make any decisions.

We're all here for the same reason - fun! Psychie Psychie I appreciate your (continued) willingness to do right by that. You know you're cool. =)

Well, since the three of us are here (and anyone else who wishes to chime in when they read this), what are some things you'd like to see in the future? How can I keep the game fun for you? =)

I don't want to make the game all about Oreleth. I am thinking of spreading out some of my Feats that boost my damage a bit, getting other abilities in their place. But there is still some fun in being able to be that deadly. We are ready to step up to 13th level after all.

Anything you'd like to see more or less of? Something new? Return of something old?

Consider also that we have not just been going into battle after battle, but have been doing a good amount of role playing non-combat stuff.

I am loving this game so far, too. There are times that I want to see a good and powerful opponent(s) that challenge us, making us pull out all the stops to bring them down. But the non-combat stuff is also a blast. Makes for a colorful game.

Oh, definitely, Sherwood. It's just been a few levels since you guys have seen combat and I know what you'll be going up against. I have every confidence that you'll have fun with the module. Battles to win, mysteries to unravel, treasure to be had. It's all there.

I just want every Player to shine and be helpful as the adventure continues. I don't want say, Jaydude, to walk in here with a warrior, take one look at Oreleth and Powerpaw and think, "What in the heck am I doing here? They don't need me." Even with leaving one NPC back at the Wayward Wagon (remember, you can bring two during the module), it might be a challenge.

I am currently thinking that either I raise the Challenge Rating up or I go with nerfing archery a bit or something of both. I'll know tomorrow by this time, probably. =)

There are two Feats that I can swap out to make things a bit more balanced; Weapon Specialization and/or Deadly Aim. That could reduce the damage by 8 points per arrow, and I can get something else in their place. I don't know how bad that would hurt the party with this new module, though.

Any ideas on what you might consider in their place?

Not sure. I like the idea of Improved Critical to expand the target number of a crit to 19-20 with the bow. Perhaps Toughness, since it adds a hit point per level up, making me able to take a few more hits and keep on going. There's lots to pick from.

Ah, nerfing Oreleth at this rate would not hurt the party at all. With these numbers, everyone, even Kaerri Rainshadow, is playing catch-up to Oreleth in combat. =)

That sounds like it might work. Having the expanded crit range will help do some damage without making Oreleth a Reflex Cannon.

Ah, I'm sorry. I have to disagree there. The numbers I showed you are base numbers. Non-crit! Crits with short and longbows do triple that amount.

Psychie Psychie Ah, it's normally one per level. But I don't mind if you want to do more within the limits I've set. I think taking out Gravity Bow would be the smoothest thing to do (or better yet, just making it so that Gravity Bow works only with crossbows? That way, Otiorin and his crossbows don't get innocently-nerfed. Again, I'll know more tomorrow.

But the odds of getting the crit, even with the 19-20 range, is slim. She can drop a few Feats and still have the potential to lay down some serious hurt, just not with every shot.

Psychie Psychie Ah, it's normally one per level. But I don't mind if you want to do more within the limits I've set. I think taking out Gravity Bow would be the smoothest thing to do (or better yet, just making it so that Gravity Bow works only with crossbows? That way, Otiorin and his crossbows don't get innocently-nerfed. Again, I'll know more tomorrow.
Gravity Bow for crossbows and not regular bows works for me. I will also plan on dropping Deadly Aim for some other Feat once we do our training for 13th level.

When playing or running games, I look at the averages in math. When most players see "6d6," I see 21 (the mean). When I see 19-20 Critical Hit Range, I see 10% of her shots reasonably outright killing whatever they hit.

My job as a DM is to bring fun here. We have a new Player, too. If everyone is onboard and having fun with the game as-is, I'm probably all right to run with it. Just understand - everyone is going to have to "up their game" combat-wise to keep up.

At the same time, I think it's kind of unfair of me to ask Psychie to nerf her Character when we have the option of trying to raise everyone else up nearer to her abilities. Psychie, I like both of those ideas. I want to somehow reward Oreleth for your attitude. Not all Players care about things like this and I appreciate those who do.

I don't mind this at all, Dann. I have seen other games tore apart because some player had maximized their character to ungodly levels, and I don't want to do this to your game. I'll go ahead and make the swap for the Deadly Aim for something else, like Toughness.

Its not an easy thing to do, taking stuff away from a character like that. Kudos to you, Psy, for being willing to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back