• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Sixteen

Don't worry, Dann. If you can put up with me and Psy, you can handle anything!

Ha ha ha! I love you guys! All of you are my "safe haven." =)

Purr Purr A serious question here. The Feat of Greater Weapon Focus has a prereq of being a 8th level Fighter in order to get it, and Greater Weapon Specialization requires a Fighter level of 12 in order to get it. How will that work with Oreleth, since I have levels in Arcane Archer? Does that count as 'Fighter' levels for the purposes of these Feats for your House Rule?

The reason why I ask is that if it doesn't work with the Arcane Archer prestige class, I'm pretty much assed out of any benefit from it, since all of my Feats that have Improved versions of them all are higher level Fighter ones, and I am trying to level up the Arcane Archer class.

It works like this: Oreleth counts only her Fighter levels toward Feats like Weapon Focus/Specialization (which, in prior versions of D&D was only available as a Fighter Class Ability portraying the Fighter's earned excellence in weapon-based combat).

Yes, like all other Characters, Oreleth must become an 8th-level Fighter in order to increase her Weapon Focus abilities, but if she elects to do so, she's not paying an additional Feat for it, plus she gains the other Class Abilities enjoyed by Fighters. This is one of the primary benefits to sticking to a single Class as opposed to multi-classing or taking on a Prestige Class of which there must be some, or everyone would multi-class, wouldn't they?

Take, for example, Powerpaw. Once you all hit 13th level, Powerpaw the Felane will be a 2nd-level Monster(Felane)/11th level Fighter. What's the point of the fearless melee-loving Kitty-face continuing on as a Fighter if other Classes, by way of Feats, can also freely gain those abilities? If so, being solely a Fighter begins to lose its meaning. However, he'll never be half the archer Oreleth is. He'll never have arcane training and understanding. You won't see Powerpaw shooting Fireballs and other spells by way of bow (or any other Class-specific manner). While there is a way to take on a Gladiator Class for Powerpaw, he is sticking with Fighter because there is still something special to be had for doing so.

So, in general, I think each Class in my games must be special or why have them at all?

I'm also going to have to redo a Feat or two. I took Arcane Armor Training at level 7, but I was only effectively a 1st level wizard at that point, and I had to be a 3rd level caster to get it. I'm sorry. It was an honest mistake.

No worries! Thanks for pointing it out, Oh Psychalicious One! Hee hee. =)

Also, if you recall in Shop Talk, I've made an allowance for these things. Every time a PC levels, they are allowed to freely swap out one Feat of their choice as long as it isn't a Prerequisite for another Feat. So you're welcome to do that too if it fairly makes Oreleth closer to what you'd like her to be. =)

Thanks for understanding. I'm looking over Oreleth now. I might swap out the Arcane Armor Feat for Vital Strike, because I can then get Improved Vital Strike, since it only requires a BAB of 11, and that I have no problem.

Vital Strike is, in my opinion, one of the best Feats out there for any Class that has the Base Attack Bonus for it. This is especially true with this House Rule. =)

Maybe I should go for Craft Staff, and make my own Staff of the Magi. That would be quite the . . . feat. Get it? Ha!

Psychie, although rarely, you too have been known for your Punniness! And on those occasions, you make some good ones too, so you're not so bad at this yourself, lady! =)

Another serious question for you, my good friend. How long/hard is it to craft a Metamagic Rod, assuming that I take the Feat for it? Would it be too time restrictive for us as we are campaigning?

Sherwood Sherwood Great Bud o' Mine, a few years ago, when Bria crafted Luna's Glamered outfit, I came across that very speedbump. Playing with Killfire's Bronze also helped me come up with solutions. These solutions can be found in Shop Talk under House Rule: Crafting Time is "+1 per day." =)

Using that as a base, I think Meta-magic items (that don't go by "plusses") will instead go by the Spell Slot the Feats require (i.e. Extended uses up one Spell slot higher than actual so let's make that as a +1 item. Quicken Spell uses up four Spell Slots higher so let's make that equivalent to a +4 item and so forth.

This change has been added to Shop Talk. Thanks for bringing it up! =)

Maybe I should go for Craft Staff, and make my own Staff of the Magi. That would be quite the . . . feat. Get it? Ha!
As funny as that is, the serious side of me wants to bring up that if you think Oreleth's unique Songbow might be difficult to find the components for and craft, just try putting together a Staff of the Magi (of which there are but a handful in all of Averlund)! Now there's a lengthy goal worth the effort!

On the same note, I'm looking at the various rods that the Pathfinder 1st edition site has (the one you have the links to), and they mention three levels of rod; lesser, normal, and greater. What is the difference, besides price?

Lots of questions for you today, Oh Glorious Storyteller!

The Feat Vital Strike says it only provides the extra damage for the first attack. But I have the Feat Many Shot that lets me shoot two arrows on the first attack. Would it apply to both arrows of that attack, or just one?

The simple answer is - magical magnitude, Spell levels used, and difficulty to Craft. Except I'm some cases, I'm not really using those levels as a guide.

The deeper answer is that power is subjective. This being a homebrew game that has its roots way back in AD&D 1st Edition, understand there are elements in Sharseya that are not going to be found even in Pathfinder.

For example, the ever-befuddling Wand of Wonder (not Rod; I have yet to put a Rod of Wonder into Sharseya. They're wands in my mind). Those little rare wands are considered by many adventurers as a "lesser" magic item, lowly and uninteresting but having their uses, down there with Wands of Defoilation and Wands of Cure Wounds. However, the Wand of Wonder is a potential game-changer because the ones I'm using come straight out of the AD&D DMG! So, in my head, one must bring item rarity and overall ability into the equation. The Rod of Lordly Might is a legendary, very-difficult-to-craft item, that is only used by the most resourceful and experienced of adventurers. But it's still a melee weapon. It's unlikely to alter the course of an encounter or adventure like the little Wand of Wonder can.

Lots of questions for you today, Oh Glorious Storyteller!

The Feat Vital Strike says it only provides the extra damage for the first attack. But I have the Feat Many Shot that lets me shoot two arrows on the first attack. Would it apply to both arrows of that attack, or just one?
Bring them on! The Dungeon Master in me delights in this stuff!

Let me look each of those Feats up. Be right back.

Psychie Psychie

Neither Feat implies that they are passive in nature (like, say, Lightning Reflexes, Alertness, or Run). To the martial artist and firearm enthusiast in me, Feats are techniques. After reading through their descriptions, I don't think Vital Strike and Manyshot are meant to be used simultaneously (except perhaps after much, much practice and then turning it into a Signature Ability - which is one reason I have those!). They are different techniques for different purposes. The Manyshot technique allows one to - in one pull - hit multiple targets simultaneously. Vital Strike is to focus on a target's vitals if you will, causing great damage to a single target with one massive hit followed by the PCs other Attacks if they have any, unlike Manyshot.

If these can be combined, I'm not seeing it.

Furthermore, and going back to Signature Abilities, if an experienced Archer like Oreleth were to practice and use these Feats in combat, she might earn and spend a Signature Ability to add Vital Strike to one of the Manyshots, and then down the road, after having acquired another Signature Ability, and through continued practice, make it so she could add Vital Strike to both of the shots in Manyshot! I would allow something like that to be earned in-game. =)

I was under the impression that Many Shot was to be able to fire off two arrows, but at the same target and not different ones. Am I reading that one wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back