• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Seventeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incoming silliness! 8D

Luna pauses in her work to switch the Shapeshift potion to a new vial so she can listen to Alisa carefully.

*Puts on a big Hogwarts professor wizardly costume and looks silly. Dodders about foolishly, adjusting his glasses until he finally finds the students with whom he is to teach. He taps his cane on his desk and proceeds to sit on the front of it while addressing everyone sitting in their chairs* "Ah! THERE you are! Class! It is I! Professor Rackelfratz and class has nearly begun! But first, there are a few brain abnormalities that must be smoothed!" *points at Luna with his cane for all to see*

"Mister Potter! Er, sorry; that's a reflex. Rather, Miss Callen! Can you not discern from "shapeshift" and "shapechange?" One is a special ability of Druids whilst the second is the most powerful of Transmutation spells! It is one thing for your fellow student, Mage Miss Soumral, there to slip up on the name...

"Wait. Miss Soumral... Now is not the time to snicker at Miss Callen while I am attempting to help her. DO wipe that smile off of your face along with the rest of you! Now then! Miss Callen! I could expect this from a mage...

I thought that Shapeshift would have been well known enough for her to have heard of it.

.... "but you? An accomplished Wizard and the Arcane example of your party? What are Mister Tale-treader and Miss Soumral to think? And then... there is this!"

"We should have Snarfy, Barfy and Arfy know to guard the swords and keep them from getting into the wrong hands until such time as we can have the swords destroyed. Hm. Speaking of the terrible trio, Arisa, have you been introduced to them yet? I don't want you to have any problems with getting bit through some misunderstandings."

"Who in the universe is... 'Arisa?' *points at Alisa* Miss Callen! Do you mean to tell the class that you can remember the names of three voracious guardians of the Wayward Wagons, but not of the Paladin of Mielikki who has offered her aid to you at great possible cost to herself? The least you could do is get her name right!" =)

Then Luna adds the idea of having the three Mimics help with guarding the swords, and she wonders if they have been introduced to Arisa yet.

"There! There!" The professor almost falls off of his desk but steadies himself with his cane. "Do you see what you have done?

but there is still the need of Nitwit and his people.

"Miss Soumral! You got the kobold's name right, but now human names are beyond you? Class? Bear witness! Words are important, you know! Little mistakes like this are what leads to Miss Rainbowshadow's condition!" *points at luminescent Kaerri as his cane flares a light to illuminate Kaerri's... illuminateness!*

She stands up and motions for Arisa to follow and goes off to find the three.

"MISS CALLEN! DO PAY ATTENTION!!" He nearly falls off of his desk again, this time the back end of it.

"Oh! And let us not forget this little zinger!"

Speaking of the terrible trio, Arisa, have you been introduced to them yet?

"The 'terrible trio,' do you say? That is not a nice thing to say about Knight Stewart, Lady Beatrice, and Mister Auri, now is it? I should expect you to deliver an apology--" Sparkle takes this moment to fly up to Professor Rackelfratz's shoulder to say just loud enough for all to hear.

"Dear professor, the trio my Luna is referring to is Arfy, Barfy, and Snarfy."

"Oh, oh! Quite right! Carry on, then! Now then! Class, we begin with today's lesson! Wands up! Lesson number one: Beware cracked potion vials!!"

Meanwhile Powerpaw, Mamapaw, and Bria continue to hang in the back of the class.

Bria says, "Alisa, I'm reeeaally sorry you had to see all this!"

Powerpaw covers his toothy maw in an attempt to conceal his laughter. "I'm not! Dat wuz great!"

Mamapaw whispers to Alisa, Otiorin, and Kaerri. The large brown-and-black-furred Felane leans over. "The Dungeon Master tells me that we will be receiving another would-be Wayward Wanderer? How joyous! But... however will they manage when we keep getting into these kinds of messes?! I too apologize, Miss Alisa!"

"You!" points Professor Rackelfratz, his cane shaking in emotion. "You three in the back of the class! Stop disrupting class or--" He proceeds to finally fall off of his desk and into his waiting garbage can. "URF! Halp!"

Powerpaw, Mamapaw, and Bria begin to rise. Bria grins. "Our work is never done!"

(Ha ha!)

/silly off

Luna pauses in her work to switch the Shapeshift potion to a new vial
Not to add to the lecture, but if Luna's using the flasks Kaerri mentioned, then I really feel I should point out that that's all Kaerri did -- mention them. As also mentioned, they aren't cleaned, and she hasn't even gotten them out of her pack yet, being preoccupied with her rainbow status, and more importantly being as only Bria has reacted to Kaerri's offer.

Of course, if Luna has her own, then never mind the above.

"What da face?" Powerpaw swears from his curled-up spot on the floor. "Luuuna! Oraleff! Whaddya mean 'we oughta' an' 'we need ta find sumbuddy!' Luna, is you a firey-Wizard or ain't'cha? Oraleff, don't you know how ta blow stuff up? If we want sumthin' frostied, dis Kitty-face would go ta Oti," he points at Otirion. "Buuuut...." Powerpaw points at the pile of swords and spits on them. Accurately. From about 15 feet away. Like he's practiced it. "...Luna, if you can't melt dese dang tings down, who can?"
Here is a question that my character would be able to answer much better than I. Is it even possible for Luna to be able to use her fire magics to melt the swords down? I would have to guess that magic items are going to be harder to melt down than regular steel would be, and I don't even know what spell(s) I could use to get the job done.

Arcana of +19, in case I need to roll.

Your logic is admirable! Luna has no experience whatsoever (that I recall) in the destruction of magical items, even "low-end" weapons such as these ("low-end" meaning one or two minor enchantments compared to, say, some of the well-earned and highly-capable items on some your Characters). =)

As for what Spells to get the job done? As your DM, I have three options, each taken from three different styles of Dungeon Mastering. Using the Goldilocks and the Three Bears as analogy, my options are:

1. "You can't. You just can't. BUT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SELECT FROM MY WONDERFUL ARRAY OF NON-PLAYER CHARACTERS WHO CAN DO IT EVEN WHILE SLEEPING?" No. Papa Bear style is too much.

2. "You'll need this exact spell done this exact way at this exact time which involves going to this location and ONLY this location and sacrificing a--." No. Baby Bear style is too little.

3. "Oh boy! The PC has no experience in this matter? Basically the whole party has little to no experience in this matter? Why... there is only one thing to do!!

Excited Kids GIF by Physics Girl
Experiment Elephant Toothpaste GIF by Mark Rober

Explosion Fail GIF by Guava Juice
Experiment Chemical Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Explode New Year GIF by JustViral

"EXPERIMEEENT!!"

"Yes, Mamapaw, er, Mama Bear style is juuust right!" =)

bear cub GIF

So yeah! Roleplay it, I say! Anyone have any ideas? =)

Even minor items can explode in a violent display from the magic locked up inside them,
Sherwood Sherwood All magic items in my world are basically bombs? Where did this conclusion come from? If I mentioned this somewhere, I don't know where I mentioned it?

I don't mean to say that I didn't; I just for the life of me can't recall ever having said this.

I didn't mean to imply that all items are explosive. It was just the player thinking that there are explosive magic items out there, and these evil swords might do the same. Luna is just being very cautious.

I'm curious as to why she thinks any items will explode when destroyed. Not saying none will, but what Dann said when you asked was basically "your characters have no idea." Maybe I missed something, but I never equated "no idea" to "sometimes they explode so let's be careful."

I guess it never hurts to be cautious though.

She blows things up with fire all the time, and knowing the power of her own spells and the difficulty in crafting magic items, why wouldn't she suspect that if she hit one of the swords with a high damaging spell that it might not blow up from the contained power?

I suppose I could try a Disintegrate spell, but I don't know what that might do.

Oh! Okay, so I didn't screw up here and imply (by way of the experiment GIFs or whatnot) that all magic items in my game are potentially explosive. Because this is not the case. =)

I suppose I could try a Disintegrate spell, but I don't know what that might do.
A... Disintegrate spell would... wait. I'm doing it again (answering OOC and basically killing any reason to experiment at all).

Carry on!

At a guess, disintegrate it? ^;3^ (If the swords don't make their Fort saves or you roll high enough, of course.) Though doing all of them would use up a lot of spell slots, as per the spell's description, it's one target per casting.

A thin, green ray springs from your pointing finger. You must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit. Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 40d6). Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature's equipment is unaffected.

When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as a 10-foot cube of nonliving matter. Thus, the spell disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted. The ray affects even objects constructed entirely of force, such as forceful hand or a wall of force, but not magical effects such as a globe of invulnerability or an antimagic field.

A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage. If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.

Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting.

Doesn't the Disintegrate spell just reduce the destroyed item to dust? If that works, we have a winner there.

I am willing to give it a try, but if successful, it will take several days for me to be able to memorize and cast the spell that many times.

Just in case you guys didn't know, Jaydude did tell me in one of my other games with him that for this week he's doing some traveling to areas without good wifi, so he may not be able to post for a few days.

On a different topic, Purr Purr , in the house rules there is a provision for casters to be able to retrain spells mid-day to recover expended spell slots. How long will it take Luna to replace her current 6th level spells with Disintegrate ones instead?

Just in case you guys didn't know, Jaydude did tell me in one of my other games with him that for this week he's doing some traveling to areas without good wifi, so he may not be able to post for a few days.
Thanks for the heads-up! =)

On a different topic, Purr Purr Purr Purr , in the house rules there is a provision for casters to be able to retrain spells mid-day to recover expended spell slots. How long will it take Luna to replace her current 6th level spells with Disintegrate ones instead?
That's in Shop Talk. Sorry, busy! =)

Hey folks, just a fair warning - I'm here, following the story and all. Don't you dare to blow up the wagon, I'm well aware that it existed at some point =D

Ha ha ha ha!

I think some Players by now would be... seriously distraught if something drastic like that happened to the Wayward Wagon, especially after all they had to do to own it.

EDIT: Not to mention all that's happened since they've owned it. =)

Last edited:
Imagine if I came back a week later and found the wagon had been destroyed while I was away...

Ha ha ha! Yeah... surprise, Jay! The, uh, Wayward Wagon is uh... more wayward than ever now! Ehheheheh...

explosion GIF

Kaerri's ears perk up. "I'd quite like it, if y'all don't mind. Do you have a system already for party loot, or just divvy as people speak up, or what?" She grins. "I'll put it to good use, promise!"
I haven't seen any negative replies in this direction, so unless you guys and gals say it now, I'm guessing Kaerri can add the magical hairpin to her Character Sheet?

Doesn't the Disintegrate spell just reduce the destroyed item to dust? If that works, we have a winner there.
Psychie Psychie (I meant to address this.) Yes. The item completely vanishes with only the barest trace of the compounds/chemicals that made it up remaining (usually in a slightly-smoking pile of... you guessed it... dust!).

More Characters appear more involved with the meeting with the Wayward Wagons' bar-guards so I will fast-forward Luna re-memorizing, and motion all interested parties toward the Wayward Wagon's bar. Besides. It's a bar. You're adventurers. What real adventurers don't like bars?! =)

Last edited:
I haven't seen any negative replies in this direction, so unless you guys and gals say it now, I'm guessing Kaerri can add the magical hairpin to her Character Sheet?
Just in time for her longer-than-she's-ever-had-it hair. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back