• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Fourteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said. Slim to none. There is good reason why Mielikki warned her Paladin about this guy. But as always, that choice lies in the hands of the PCs.

Alright, I was just wondering if it's merely a matter of odds considering an enemy's base Willpower and bonuses, or if there was actually an innate ability that states they're immune to sleep effects.

I'm sure we'll find some other way. Cookies and milk? No one's immune to those! *woof*

As far as Nivirea knows, there are no giants that are inherently immune to sleep effects (as opposed to, say, undead who are naturally immune). She would know that spells like Deep Slumber on giants are rarely effective they (except for perhaps Hill Giants or younger giants of other types) are simply too high level for spell (see the Spell). Put another way, most giants exceed Deep Slumber's cap of 10 Hit Dice.

If anything, we might be able to slow down the giant with Web spells and have Luna cast her Haste spell on us to be able to run away from this guy and get past him to safety.

Either that, or we make history by being the party that has successfully taken down this giant.

Either that, or we make history by being the party that has successfully taken down this giant.

A message from your Friendly Neighborhood Dungeon Master: Don't Count On It. =)

Don't count on it doesn't meant it's not possible! That giant wouldn't be there if he were unbeatable, right? R-Right...? 😶

Look, y'all may think I'm being overly pessimistic but I'm strongly of the firm, definite opinion that if we fight this giant, we will die. Maybe one or two of the characters will survive by running away (and how long are they going to last, lost in these caves by themselves? Let alone getting home again) but speaking as the player whose character is psychologically incapable of abandoning anyone and therefore is most likely to get killed by not running away, I'd rather find a plan that's less suicidal.

From the hints that we've been getting from Dann, I concur with Kaerri's opinion. If we can't calm this guy down, we should run.

No one was suggesting that we meet him in fair combat. Tough and overpowered as he may well be, he is still only one creature. There are more of us. We must be able to come up with some strategy of disabling him. We don't necessarily need to bring his hit points to zero.

Though looking at the chat so far, IC and OOC, no one seems to have had a solid idea so far with the exception of Bria, and hers might not be feasible. None of our spells are likely to have any effect, and jokes aside, cookies, milk and lullabies aren't any more likely to. And we don't even know if she interpreted these "sleepies" correctly. I'd like to think so, because it does make a weird sort of sense - but at the same time, if that were the only non-violent solution, it could be an impossible one. We might need to come up with some sort of complex disable & escape strategy.

I guess we'll have to see how the giant responds first. At least we've still the luxury of conversation... *woof*

Don't count on it doesn't meant it's not possible! That giant wouldn't be there if he were unbeatable, right? R-Right...? 😶
There seems to be a misconception here that, even if this is a joke, I'd like to clear up.

Sharseya is Dann's sandbox as much as it is ours. This is not like a video game where everything is designed to be beatable if the players just find the right strategy. This is not a world where the PCs are the heroes and everything revolves around them. This is an open world where things happen whether the PCs are there to see it or not. There is a Mad Giant in these caves not because we're supposed to defeat him but because this is where he lives. If we had never met him he would still be here.

So don't assume that just because Nivirea went off and woke him up, we are guaranteed a way out of this.

I still think that giving back whatever the hell Nivirea stole is a valid option. And I don't mean sleep, I mean whatever shiny she thought was worth getting into all this.

I don't believe any person is capable of simulating such a complex world, with its many characters and events at the same time, with machine-like precision, that you could truly claim that everything simply happens as it would normally whether the players were there to see it or not. I certainly can't do that - even restricting myself to only what concerns the players is often times too much to ponder.

I'm not saying that this Mad Giant was merely thought up on the go to make things more interesting for us, but neither do I think he 100% happened to be in that tunnel at the same time when Nivirea was within hearing range. And I highly doubt he would have been at that place and time, had the party not gone to Pohjola. I could be wrong, but what is there wrong with improvisation and adjustments of that kind? What other way is there to tell a story, or play a game? That's humanly possible, and not say, procedurally generated by a computer?

But of course I didn't mean that everything needs to be beatable and discoverable. There's nothing to clear up. The only thing we might be interpreting differently is that what I'm saying is, to borrow your own phrase, we are guaranteed there is a way out of this - I never implied that we were guaranteed to find a way out. Because if there weren't one to begin with, even in this moment, what point would be there in playing?

You seem very certain that there is a shiny involved. You don't think Bria is right in her assumption? *woof*

I'm not saying he knows every detail of every person existing on the world, but larger things (pun intended) are certainly within his scope. The king and queen of Highwind, for example, are very likely doing things right now that may have an effect on what we run into if and when we return, but that doesn't mean we'll find out what those things are. Assorted NPC adventuring parties (yes, they exist!) are running about (and occasionally amok) and I've run into them in some odd places as well, not because we were "supposed" to but because the party fell through the wrong portal and that's where the random dice roll said we landed.

It's nothing to do with improvisation and adjustment, and more to do with plain old world-building and keeping the world running even when the PCs aren't around to watch.

As for whether we're "guaranteed a way out of this" -- Keep the below in mind.
The party is close to going into combat with a creature they never would have encountered under these circumstances
I in no way planned for this situation and I am allowing the cards to fall as they will.

Oh, you mean the shiny she admitted she stole before she saw we didn't like it and tried to cover herself? No, I don't think Bria's right. Nor does the giant, unless I'm misinterpreting him.

Who mentioned anything about a shiny? 😇 Assuming you are right, however, you could also still be wrong - in the event that Bria is correct, then returning the item won't solve the issue since it'd be literal sleepiness the giant's after (and he may not even be aware that any physical item has been stolen from him). That's by far a more worrisome scenario, since items can be taken and returned. Putting an overpowered, high level giant to sleep is more complicated.

"I... I might have... stolen... something from him," she admitted, fixing her hair out of her eyes. It did little to mend her overall disheveled state. "What? I didn't think he'd notice!" she argued, as if that justified it.
I am not so dumb as to not know what she means by this.

I am thinking that Luna casts Haste, I cast Web, and we all run like hell for the duration of the Haste spell until we get to a place where the Giant can't get to us. Then we take turns putting Nivirea over our laps and spanking her for waking the Giant when she took the shiny.

I have a feeling that we should run, considering that I don't think that even giving back whatever it is that Nivirea took will soothe the giant. Luna will just wait on the command from Bren to do so.

And what of Count Barathus, Tarros, and the others left in the cul-de-sac?

Also of note is that that cul-de-sac (or rather, the dungeons beyond) are where we have to go to break the last curse we're under, as I recall.

I feel like I'm being very much a wet blanket and I'm sorry for that. I just find the situation incredibly frustrating and annoying, and I really am trying to think of ways out of it that won't land us into further trouble, I'm just not getting very far.

Isn't the direction we need to go past the giant? If we can slip past him, we are that much closer to breaking the curse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back