• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Fifteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but they could be a good starting place for Signature Ability ideas ^;3^

Hmm. Let's try this one. Would it work?

The bond between kobold and badger is strong. By healing one through unnatural means(potion or spell) the other recovers the same amount of hit points.

D. Rex D. Rex Those "traits" are from d20pfsrd - we're not using those. By traits, I simply mean the dictionary definition. For example, Powerpaw is an NPC who is absolutely fearless. It doesn't mean he's stupid, witless, or incapable of feeling emotional distress - it just means when he should feel fear, instead he feels anger. His level 1 Signature Ability reads:

SIGNATURE ABILITY #1: Absolutely Fearless: Nothing causes fear in Powerpaw. He is not affected by the shaken, frightened, or panicked conditions and fear, natural, magical, or otherwise has no effect on him.

Reasoning: It is purely in his character. Powerpaw's eternal eagerness for battle and conflict on top of the foundation of his "Moar" philosophy makes for a world where "Fear... is for others." This is not to say that he would not be affected by the loss of a loved one; he would simply not fear the source. When Powerpaw should feel fear, he gets angry instead. Very angry... The more fear he is supposed to feel, the more ferocious he becomes.

Since I started playing him, I have always roleplayed him true to this personality trait of his. Sometimes it leads him into making decisions that others would consider unwise (he once took TEN Attacks of Opportunity for the party during their battle with the Craven, a terrible 10-headed pyrohydra; he didn't know if it would kill him or not, but he didn't fear death or dying. Instead, he wanted very badly at that moment to get the Craven's attention on him and off of the party. Everyone else here except for perhaps Psychie knows what happened after that. =) ). Most of the time, this Signature Ability serves him quite well, especially against those kinds of guys who attempt to Intimidate him and realize they are only making him angry instead (when they succeed on the roll). Imagine being in those positions. =)

* * *​

There are dozens of D&D/Pathfinder websites out there. Please stick to the Archives of Nethys for the least amount of confusion (for yourself and us). Plus, the Archives of Nethys is the only non-Paizo site that's O.K. by them (Paizo created Pathfinder).

Speaking of! I was looking at feats, and vital strike looked fun. Though given it means I can only attack once per turn, it would make the advantages of repeating crossbows a bit superfluous. Could go great with an ordinary heavy crossbow.

I leave the decision up to you. Repeating crossbows of all three types (hand, light, and heavy) are brand-new to the game (there are only two magical hand crossbows out there, for example). All repeating crossbows really do is save the user from having to Reload more often. In some hands, this lets the users fire more often (especially if they have the Rapid Reload feat). But it's an investment to do so. =)

* * *​

Hmm. Let's try this one. Would it work?

The bond between kobold and badger is strong. By healing one through unnatural means(potion or spell) the other recovers the same amount of hit points.

While that's a really neat ability, something like that is far more of a Supernatural or Magical ability than a personality trait or result of terrific training. Plus, Signature Abilities are meant to be personal - for that Character alone.

The best way, I think, to develop Signature Abilities is to know the character you're playing and think of what is special about them. How did Grit become a 12th level adventurer? Being 12th level means a Character is waaaay beyond the average footman or infantry Fighter (1st-3rd level), beyond a typical NPC sergeant-at-arms (4th-6th level), and so forth. You don't have to select Signature Abilities now; you can hold them until you discover something that you especially like about Grit that you'd like to see him gain in-game bonuses for.

* * *​

Dannigan Dannigan
Would a sword breaker be a viable melee weapon. I'd imagine it just being a shortsword with the disarming/trip mod.

I don't know what a "sword breaker" is, therefore it's not in the game.

To give you an example of my wizard's Signature Ability, I have a strong relation to fire, so I can change a spell's elemental type from what it states in the book to be a fire aspect instead. Her other ones relate to the damage done by fire type magics for her, turning all 1's and 2's into 3's on the dice when rolled.

Yes. This is when the Character's experiences come into play. Luna is a Wizard specializing in Evocation and furthermore, specializing in the element of Fire. She knows fire backwards and forwards. The other elements? Not so much. Other schools (Necromancy and Illusion if memory serves?), again not so much. But give her something that needs burning and she's your Wizard!

I did actually decide on going for the repeating crossbow. As I thought about it, Grit isn't about doing the major damage, so the more he can shoot the more he can do.

Question time though!

1. You said critical focus was disallowed. Is improved critical allowed? I didn't see that mentioned in shop talk. But just because I don't see it doesnt mean its not there.

2. Would a normal light crossbow with rapid reload fire at the same speed as a repeating crossbow without? Since it lets you load it as a free action, and as stated in nethys "can fire as many times as you like in a full attack action as you could a bow". Then would the rapid reload feat be a miniscule addition to a repeating crossbow?

And gotcha on the signature thing. I'll hold for now and think harder on it.

I have also been using just the Nethys. There is a tab there for "Traits" as well, hence why I asked.

As for the sword breaker!

33_-_Circa_1600_sword_breaker_6.jpg

Its simply a short sword or long Dagger with notches on one side, generally used in the off hand to parry, made to catch swords between the grooves to bind an opponents weapon or twist it out of their hands. Could also be used to snag armor and clothing to put them off balance.

I wouldnt call it a special weapon. Given the mods available, it is basically just a modded shortsword. Specifically that of the "Tactically Adapted" mod. (And holy crop, 2000gp to stamp a few notches from the blade. Id be getting scalped! But then again, it would take more craftsmanship of you wanted one sturdy enough to not break in half)

If you look at the traits though, none of them are in the core book. ^;3^ I would guess they got added in later publications.

Critical Focus, I believe, is mainly not in the game because without having to roll to confirm a critical hit, it's a pointless feat. All of the feats which have it as a prereq are still in, you just don't need Critical Focus to get them.

Improved Critical is in the corebook and is not on the disallowed list, so it should be fine. ^3^

By the way, scrolling through Nethys' feat list I see a number of them that have some kind of RP or experiences prereq, such as "You must have had friendly contact with a good outsider that would qualify as a challenging foe, be a sorcerer with the celestial bloodline, or have direct celestial ancestry (such as by being an aasimar)." While such feats are not in Sharseya (they aren't in the corebook) they might also be a handy inspiration for Signature Abilities, since the character has to have done or been something in order to "earn" them.

1. You said critical focus was disallowed. Is improved critical allowed? I didn't see that mentioned in shop talk. But just because I don't see it doesnt mean its not there.

It's not so much that Critical Focus is disallowed so much that it's redundant (since we don't confirm criticals, everything involving that method is gone with Feats like Improved Critical taking its place for prerequisites).

2. Would a normal light crossbow with rapid reload fire at the same speed as a repeating crossbow without? Since it lets you load it as a free action, and as stated in nethys "can fire as many times as you like in a full attack action as you could a bow". Then would the rapid reload feat be a miniscule addition to a repeating crossbow?

Per Archives of Nethys,

"Normal: A character without this feat needs a move action to reload a hand or light crossbow, a standard action to reload a one-handed firearm, or a full-round action to load a heavy crossbow or a two-handed firearm."

A character with the Rapid Reload feat "can fire as many times as you like in a full attack action as you could a bow."

Crossbows reload at the same rate regardless if they are repeating or not. I.e. a light crossbow without Rapid Reload has you reloading using Move Actions, same as Repeating Light Crossbow. With Rapid Reload, either type of crossbow takes only a Free Action to reload. It's benefits are specifically of great use to those using Heavy Crossbows of either type (as it drops the Full-Attack Action down to only a Move Action to reload).

* * *​

I have also been using just the Nethys. There is a tab there for "Traits" as well, hence why I asked.

Oh, those! Right! No, those are not in the Core Book; we're using Signature Abilities instead (I believe they do a great deal more for Character development than Traits).

Re: Sword-breakers. No wonder I don't know what they are - they're not in the Core Book. =)

Alrighty! So there isnt much reason to have both. In that case I'll go with a normal light crossbow with the rapid reload feat.

And just to be clear, upon choosing weapons in Nethys, I need to make sure the source references the Core rulebook? For example, the bayonet is not viable since it doesnt reference the core book? nethys bayonet

And how about these for signature Abilities?

1. Not the Average Kobold: Grit has shown a willingness and capability of doing things that most kobolds wouldn't think of trying, and never thought he was capable of. This has endeared him to his own people and others, granting him bonus to diplomacy checks with draconic races, and a lesser bonus with citizens of Highwind.

2. True Grit: With tenacity and grit, Grit will pull himself together in times of need. After failing a save roll thats puts him in a condition that he can't participate(such as fleeing from fear), he rolls twice for the purpose of resisting the influence, taking the higher roll.

Are those suitable signature abilities? Too weak? Too strong?

With the caveat that I am not the GM and this is not an official response ^;3^

As describe, I would think #1 would apply only to people who had heard of his reputation, which would distinctly limit it. If it's the description you like more than the bonus, maybe have his not-average-ness result in, I dunno, a +1 on skills he isn't trained in (trying new things woo!), or a bonus to his will save since that seems largely to be his unusual drive to succeed? If it's the diplomacy bonus, maybe change the description so that it's more because he's had the experience of persuading his fellow kobolds to do unusual things, and/or to persuade other races that he and his aren't like other kobolds?

#2 sounds similar to a rogue's Slippery Mind ability, which allows them to attempt a second will save the round after they've failed one, but with some interesting differences. Did you have in mind that the rerolls occur immediately following the failed role, or at a later time (bearing in mind that one round is only a few seconds, which might represent the time it takes him to gather his resolve).

With the caveat that I am not the GM and this is not an official response ^;3^

As describe, I would think #1 would apply only to people who had heard of his reputation, which would distinctly limit it. If it's the description you like more than the bonus, maybe have his not-average-ness result in, I dunno, a +1 on skills he isn't trained in (trying new things woo!), or a bonus to his will save since that seems largely to be his unusual drive to succeed? If it's the diplomacy bonus, maybe change the description so that it's more because he's had the experience of persuading his fellow kobolds to do unusual things, and/or to persuade other races that he and his aren't like other kobolds?

#2 sounds similar to a rogue's Slippery Mind ability, which allows them to attempt a second will save the round after they've failed one, but with some interesting differences. Did you have in mind that the rerolls occur immediately following the failed role, or at a later time (bearing in mind that one round is only a few seconds, which might represent the time it takes him to gather his resolve).

For 1.
I didn't think about applying it like that, I. That I they could applied to skills. I just came up with this one to test waters in see what could be made. The idea being to capitalize on him being a standout from his time and gaining a but of renown as a result. While it is something i would have built up from level 1 naturally, midway through his adventure i think he has earned a little. As in, even if they don't know his name, they do know him as "That Kobold, that one that did the thing." And since he hasn't done really any great deeds in highland, it probably applies more to his tribe. But you are right. It is a little too broad, so maybe it applying to those whom heard of him would be better.

For 2.
The second roll would have been for the rounds thereafter. The idea behind this being that sure, he isn't the best, but his heart in the right place. For fear, As an example. He might run initially, but would quickly realize that he cant just leave his friends, gathering his resolve and charging back in. Could it apply to other saves? I don't know.

Other ideas would be like,

1. Bonus to will saves when with Scamp. Being braver knowing his beasty boy will protect him.
2. Maybe a way to increase crit range. Like being so small in a medium guys world, he learned ways to hit em where it hurts.
3. Being a supportive combatant, kobold style, making a nuisance to give his friends a better shot. A CMB bonus, essentially.
4. Maybe negation of the penalty to ranged attacks while mounted. With his bond with Scamp giving him a deep connection and an understanding of his movement.
5. Heck, I would even mind a but mithril for a nice shirt. (Which that does give me some fun ideas. Maybe new mithril mine is found in Highwind and Grit convinces the leaders that the kobolds could live and work there. Who needs stubborn dwarves when you got eager kobolds?)

D. Rex D. Rex
Re: bayonet. D., you are correct.

(Which that does give me some fun ideas. Maybe new mithril mine is found in Highwind and Grit convinces the leaders that the kobolds could live and work there. Who needs stubborn dwarves when you got eager kobolds?)

Have no fear; I have the story components covered well, ready to be roleplayed.

* * *​

Psychie Psychie Kaerri Kaerri D. Rex D. Rex Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood

Which reminds me - the module introduction is ready to go; the beginning of your adventure is available when all of you are ready for it. As I understand things, the Wayward Wanderers want some time off (downtime) having just returned from Pohjola. The following things will be taking place (this is by no means a complete list; it's just what I have prepared or am in the process of preparing):

1. Visiting the Adventurers' Guild (and all the fun that'll happen there!). I believe it will be here that Bren will take his leave to the Mielikkian temple, Earthhome, and Kaerri will enter the scene.
2. Visiting Ben & Misha's Magic Shoppe (take two! This time, they're shopping, baby!).
3. Returning to the Wayward Wagon with your goodies.

Feel free to add ideas, Gang! If there's something else you want to do, now is a good time to speak up! =)

As long as we get to #3 without a side trip to yet another dimension. ^;3^

Aw bummer, would have been cool to focus souly on pimping out my crossbow. Oh well! I can fall back on the classic rapier or showrtsword and a buckler. Seems like an appropriate weapon for a guard.

Lol they can always start some trouble and I come clap them in irons. You know how adventurers are... always causing trouble in town.

Would Grit have heard of them?

D. Rex D. Rex Most of the Signature Ability ideas are close, but they don't quite work. Here are some ideas I'm just tossing out that would fit into the campaign. Let me know what you think?

Re: Not the Average Kobold (1st Level): Grit gains +1 to all Will Saving Throws. It sounds like he has a strong will overall so why not give him an in-game 1st-level-style benefit from it?

* * *​
For a 6th level Signature Ability, you seem to be leaning toward something that benefits Grit when he and Scamp are in-combat together. The only thing I don't like about a conditional ability like this is, what if something happens to Scamp? You're out one Signature Ability. So how about a Signature Ability that comes into play whenever Grit is mounted on any creature (especially Scamp)? Here's just one idea:

Grit Your Teeth (6th Level): Whenever Grit is mounted, he gains a +1 Morale bonus to Attack and Damage rolls whenever he is within 30 feet of any mount that he has ridden before. Grit then selects a mount; this becomes Grit's Chosen Mount. Whenever Grit is within 30 feet of his Chosen Mount (Scamp), he also gains +1 to all Saving Throws. If something happens to Scamp, he can select another Chosen Mount after 1 week of in-game time readjusting (downtime counts).

* * *​

Re: True Grit (11th Level): If Grit has really worked his way up in a resolved, strong-willed fashion, I don't have any problem with him having a Signature Ability that's similar to Slippery Mind. Here's that Rogue Talent's definition.

Slippery Mind (Ex) (PRPG Core Rulebook pg. 70): This ability represents the rogue's ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a rogue with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.

Now note that Slippery Mind affects enchantment spells or effects (Charm, Hypnotize, and the like). What if Grit had this ability toward any Will-based Saving Throw on the condition that it only goes into effect when Grit is focused and feeling resolved? This means he would not gain the bonus if he were surprised, sleeping, performing menial actions, etc. but during times when he is acting in the cause of the Tribe of the Silver Sun or performing some task that he feels very strongly about, the True Grit Signature Ability becomes active.

Again, I'm just tossing out ideas. Take or trash these as you see fit. What I'm really looking for is something that fits Grit personally.

* * *​
Would Grit have heard of them?

Grit would not have heard of the Wayward Wanderers until today. Grit has heard from both passing adventurers and from the Captain of the Watch that a vigil is taking place just outside Ben & Misha's Magic Shoppe. Folks are saying the adventuring team was shopping when they were abducted by means of a curse from the Maiden of Pain, Loviatar (one of two gods who is actively working to see Highwind fall, the other god is Erythnul, the Gnoll god of torture). People from many different walks of life have set up outside Ben & Misha's and have been offering prayers and songs for the party's safe return. This whole thing was apparently started by some blonde bardic elf-girl who frequents the Adventurers' Guild (and given how rare elves are this far north, she wouldn't be hard to find if one wanted to).

Until Grit's Character Sheet is finished, I'm not comfortable yet saying what Grit is up to precisely (because it kind of depends on when he joins the game). I just realized we don't have "blank Character Sheets" for Grit to come onboard with! I'll get to adding one so everyone's Character Sheets are more or less uniform. =)

Last edited:
I just realized we don't have "blank Character Sheets" for Grit to come onboard with! I'll get to adding one so everyone's Character Sheets are more or less uniform. =)
I offer mine as a template. This is totally not due to the fact that I don't want to redo it. :P

I need to add a blank one anyway for the sake of having one. If Wolf rejoins us in October, it'll be one less step for his new character to make. =)

Well, Luna is looking forward to doing some haggling in the items shop to see what she can do to increase her survivability on the combat field. I have gold and many scrolls that I'm willing to part with to see what I can get!

Yeah, my only worry is - the Wayward Wanderers have not done a great deal of combat, and thus, looting. They don't have a whole lot of coin from their adventures - just a boatload of good deeds even the gods can be proud of!

DM note: Whoops. Minor thing. I do the Signature Abilities (for newly-rolled PCs) at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 18th (conditional), and 20th.

I have two posts I hope to have up either tomorrow or the next day, but not tonight. I am worn out (but happy!). =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back