• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Fifteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would like to be the first to catch D. Rex up on the latest Wayward Wanderer activities? I mean, it should be a short post. Nothing exciting has happened in the last few months, right? =)

D. Rex D. Rex And my first questions here in Adventurers' Table for you (just conversation starters really). Here you are, jumping into an ongoing D&D/Pathfinder game that's been going for more than six years (it started in tabletop in 1999).

1. Why play this game when you have the choice of all of RP Nation?

2. Why play a Kobold?

3. Would you tell folks here a little about Grit, maybe starting with his name?

4. Do you have questions you'd ask of our players?

To the Wayward Wanderers, I have to tell you - yes, I've got a way to get Grit into the game so have no fear about that.

D. Rex D. Rex And my first questions here in Adventurers' Table for you (just conversation starters really). Here you are, jumping into an ongoing D&D/Pathfinder game that's been going for more than six years (it started in tabletop in 1999).

2. Why play a Kobold?

To the Wayward Wanderers, I have to tell you - yes, I've got a way to get Grit into the game so have no fear about that.

Easy questions!

1. To put it simply, because the rest of rpn doesn't interest me. I found myself trying out for dice as a last ditch effort to care about rpn after a major burnout. It succeeded. I found in the dice games what I felt was so lacking in normal rps. There were set and measurable rules, objective progression, and a helpful order that kept everything in check. The structure was one thing, though. But equally enticing was the element of chance. And with it comes higher stakes and emotional investment. In the normal rps, sure you can do anything you want. But why? When you are in control of everything, then everything seems so predictable and convenient. The struggles are feigned and the hurdles are illusory. And there are no surprises as I know what's going to happen as I write. But with dice, well, I'm sure you are quite familiar with my failure rate and how I do particularly enjoy how the failure and success of rolls make the game go forward. I love numbers, and character progression(mental and numerical). I like my character sheet to have actually useful information on it. I love the chance to work with mechanics to see all the cools things I can do and ways to mash things together for fun things that probably wasn't their original intention. It let's me think and manage and all that other fun stuff. It let's me do all that PLUS the fun of normal RPs in the interactions and dialog.

As for Sharseya in particular! Well, most of the dice I play have been modern or future palladium games, or Exalted. And while I absolutely love me the batshit insane exaggerations of exalted, I couldn't help but have a craving for something of a smaller scale. I craved me some DnD. Well I happened to have found a game with Silanon, and introduced myself to pathfinder. It didn't get far, but the taste was enough to get me wanting a bit more. But with none really presenting themselves, I found Sharseya, and remembered it was also a pathfinder game. Figured I'd give it a shot since rp had slowed down a bit during that time.

2. Because why not a kobold? Lol I suppose it is mostly for the reason I do enjoy trying new things. I have played hundreds of chars and archetypes over the years, and im at the point in my RP career where the easy go-to char types have become a bit bland in their standard format. I began to enjoy going with things that are more of challenge. Lookimg for things give the char some savory flavor and vibrant life. Sure, a dutiful cleric with tragic backstory and holding on to only her faith to hold onto is fun... but why not open the spice cabinet and make her a naga(or whatever it is) cleric of love, beauty, and sex. Having fun with the restriction of not having legs, and the challenge of trying to spread love and joy as a snake lady. Sure, having an Aaragorn-esque forest ranger sitting the corner of the tavern is a tried and true way to go about it... but that copy pasta needs some garlic salt. A swashbuckling sea ranger explorer extraordinaire seeking to sail the Lost Oceans below the underdark. A kleptomanic and edgy thief/assassin with a heart of gold? Hard to go without! But I need my lemon pepper. Make my thief a birdman knight with the class of a rogue! Fencing and dodging my way to glory and duty, where the only edge to be found is the sharpness of his wit. And I love me a good sword and board. Absolutely essential! I will stand by that the champion fighter class in dnd is the best class. But what if I wanted to add a packet of goya to pot? Let's shrink him down and give him a badger to ride! Thats more like it.

Plus! I like kobolds! They're cute. Sure, their stats sucked, but that makes them all the more perfect to fit into the role of an underdog. Besides... I'm no good at min/maxing anyway.

3. Some of these folks have already seen Grit in his previous carnation! He was originally to be a gunslinger. But with no guns in Sharseya, had to make a drastic switch. But! I could still keep the core theme, the DnD interpretation of the little engine that could.

His name! Lol, well. I couldn't think of a good name for him. But as I was browsing description of gunslinger, I kept seeing "Grit" over and over again. And me, being lazy, was like "that sounds like a koboldy name" so used it as a placeholder. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. Since Grit was to be the first gunslinger of that world, I decided to make the name part of the game. That his concept was to be that he would grow and his name would become synonymous with endurance. Bravery, and determination. That you can't wield a firearm without some of that. And thus Grit becomes why gunslingers call their points Grit.

But! He isn't a gunslinger here. No, my friends, here we have a fighter. Grit is a mounted combatant. Riding a wild giant badger and launching volleys of crossbow bolts. And from the back of his rabid steed, protecting the citizens of Highwind as one of its town guards.

4. Of course! I'd love to hear more about all their characters too!

Welcome to our happy game! I look forward to seeing just what you can do in Sharseya with our team.

PS Psychie's character is going to (probably) be taking on the role of party leader when Bren leaves, so make sure you give her a lot of grief!

2. Why play a Kobold?

I'll just turn this around a bit, since you wanted to hear about our characters. ^;3^ I'm actually about to switch from my human paladin to a half-elf rogue, so I'll do the short version for the former and a longer one for the latter.

1. Why Sharseya?
Because I love Sharseya. I started playing in it many years ago, not long after Dann and I first met, actually, and have enjoyed both the world and his GMing style ever since. Honestly, I'll join any game Dann's GMing, even if I'm not sure it'll be my thing (that's how I ended up in Broadsword) but D&D was my first RP system, 3.5 is my favorite edition, and Pathfinder is basically D&D 3.5 but better. ^;3^ I've seen Sharseya go from AD&D through 3.5 to Pathfinder and now to RpNation, so how could I not join?

2a. Why play a [human paladin, i.e. Bren]?
He was first created when we were helping playtest D&D 3rd edition. Back then, I figured, if you can't make a human fighter, the system is broke, right? So I made a human fighter, for science. 😇 But then I wanted to try out the multiclass rules (no one else in the group was multiclassed, and we were playtesting, after all). So I added ranger. Being a roleplayer, of course personality and backstory very soon followed. Later on, I brought him into Sharseya-tabletop, and played him for many years there until our group went its separate ways, adulting being what it is. Having had the opportunity to play him here, I realized that he would fit even better into the paladin class than he did as a fighter/ranger, ran it past my fellow players, and Dann found an IC way of having him switch. (Gotta love your goddess showing up in person to "swear you in" as it were!)

3a. Tell us about Bren.
Well, as the others can probably verify, he's a nice guy who prefers peaceful solutions when possible, but is all about defending those weaker whether in combat or out. Not egotistical or preachy, just a good guy to have at your side, or at your back, or preferably in front where he can keep the bad guys away from you. ^3^ He's a noble from the human city of Summerset, not one of the uppity families but one of the more odd ones -- they're known primarily for the excellent horses they raise and train, and have several adventurers among them (Bren's father is a monk; his mother is a druid).
Name: Brendoran Killaneson Sarabina -- I'd been reading a deal of Mercedes Lackey at the time, and liked how in one of her countries, the nobles had long names, the longer the higher rank they were, but friends usually called them by the first syllable. (Not long after, I came across an unrelated series by a different author in which people actually added syllables as they gained rank, so it was a literal way of showing how important you were -- but that had nothing to do with Bren, and I don't remember anything else about that series now). So, knowing he was of noble rank, I wanted a long-ish name, but something that had a nice short version as well. I think I actually started with "Bren" and added to it until I was happy? Possibly a derivation of "Bran" -- I like Welsh names. Killane is his father; the name borrowed (and spelling changed) from a minor character in David Eddings' Polgara the Sorceress. (It's also a town in Ireland, but I didn't know that at the time.) Sarabina is a derivation of "Sarabian" -- an emperor in different David Eddings' series. I prefer not to copy names directly if I can avoid it, particularly major characters (unless it's a real-world name) but just changing a couple letters can keep what I like about the "feel" of a name but make it more my own.

Now to switch...

2b. Why play a [half-elf rogue shadowdancer, i.e. Kaerri]?
Kaerri was the very first character I played in Sharseya, and is my oldest still-played character as well as my favorite. I liked rogues back in AD&D because they were the only ones with "skill points," and I felt like they were much more customize-able because of that. And to me, customizing = personalizing: making my rogue different from all the others out there. (This is one of many reasons I didn't really like D&D 4e. It felt like each class was basically one of three tracks, and my ClassA-Track2 character was just like everyone else's ClassA-Track2 character.) AD&D rogues put percentage points into their skills, so you could ignore some and focus on others, or be a generalist, any way you chose. Of course when we went to D&D 3 and subsequent systems, playing around with skill points just got more fun!
Half-elf -- My way of adding spice, I guess? Nothing against humans, and I've played several before and since, but right then I wanted to play something different, but not too different. And I've always liked elves, so this was a literal half-way step to that. ^;3^ Dannigan explained that in Sharseya, half-elves are extremely rare (I've actually kept a list of the ones I've come across, and I have literally met more dragons than half-elves), and that they tend to face certain prejudices from certain elves. I decided I was OK with that (I assume Captain is as well, since I'm sure Dann gave him the same caution!).
Shadowdancer -- D&D 3rd edition and Pathfinder both have prestige classes, which are kind of like bonus classes which add extra flavor but aren't full classes on their own -- they have prereqs that have to be met first, usually from a class similar in nature to the first. Psychie's Oreleth has one; she's a fighter/Arcane Archer, which means she gets to add neat magic stuff to her bow skills and probably some other cool abilities as well. Kaerri, as a rogue, specialized in trapbusting (finding/disabling traps) and scouting (stealth/perception). Shadowdancer is a natural extension of that, particularly the stealth part, and adds some neat exclusive abilities. More spice ^D^ And it fit her personality well also.

3b. Tell us about Kaerri.
As my favorite character, she's been to all sorts of places because I tend to recreate her for video games whenever possible, so she's been in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic (in which she's being actually roleplayed with others in my guild), Final Fantasy XIV, Diablo (but I think she missed Diablo 2 for some reason), Mass Effect (and 2 and 3, though I haven't finished 3), and probably a few others I can't think of right now. Of course, all of her video game incarnations are separate characters (except the Mass Effect ones) and aren't canon for the now-Pathfinder Kaerri, but it's kept her personality alive and largely unchanged for all these years. (Bren's been in a few of those also, but for some reason it's his father Kilain [spelling changed again] who made it into SWTOR as a Jedi.) Long ago I took her name for my gaming identity, as you can see; but that doesn't mean I'm Kaerri, though we do share several traits and she's very close to my heart. Alter ego, perhaps?
She's a light-hearted one, finding the humor in things rather than getting angry over them, but that doesn't mean she doesn't take things seriously, just that she doesn't see the point in getting angsty over it. Resourceful, curious, mischievous, appreciative of a good joke even when it's on her. That's her in my avatar, and Peritwinkle really did a good job of putting her personality into the painting. As mentioned earlier, she's primarily focused on those skills related to getting into (and out of) places she really isn't supposed to be, but all in a good cause. She almost never gets angry (honestly, I can't recall any time, but it's bound to have happened sometime?). "Don't get mad, get even," right? But that only applies to bad guys. Good guys just come in for extra teasing. ^;3^ And she does like to tease, friend and foe alike, though her wit is sharper with enemies. Friends are for fun, not mockery.
Name: So, uh, Kaerri was originally created when I was much younger and hadn't yet developed my dislike of lifting names from books. So her original name is Kaeritha, Kerry for short, taken directly from a fairly important character in David Weber's Norfressa fantasy books. (Yes, I know Kerry is an Irish name also -- guess I like those as well as Welsh?) Over the years as my attitude changed (largely from coming across Drizzt and Legolas clones in every MMO ever), I've altered the spelling several times, finally settling on this one.

Welcome to our happy game! I look forward to seeing just what you can do in Sharseya with our team.

PS Psychie's character is going to (probably) be taking on the role of party leader when Bren leaves, so make sure you give her a lot of grief!

It begins... she's not even party leader yet... and it's starting. Joy! =)

* * *​

Thanks, Kaerri-darlin'! I wasn't expecting anyone to turn the questions about and answer them.

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus

Feel like chiming in? That's fabulous! Answer the questions I provided D. Rex in the manner Kaerri did and... if enough people participate, I might have a reward for all of you! =)

2. Why play a Kobold Human?

3. Would you tell folks here a little about Grit Luna, maybe starting with his name?

1. This game is being run by a friend of mine from waaaaaay back in high school that I was able to be the one to introduce to RpN. We have gamed a Star Frontiers/Robotech/Battletech hybrid for ages, (and my name Sherwood was the last name of my character in that. Such good times we had!) so when Dannigan came to me with the invite to join in, I couldn't pass up the chance to experience the fun of one of his games again.

2. I went with human for my character Luna Callen for a handful of reasons. Some were purely cosmetic (I had several cool pictures selected for her that I wanted to use), while others were more game mechanics related (the extra Feat that humans get was a good thing). But I think that one of the biggest reason is that it just felt right for Luna to be human, if that makes any sense.

3. Luna is a wizard from a line of wizards, starting with her grandfather, then her dad, then her. She has a older brother who just happens to be a ghost, and a younger sister that is very much alive. From a young age, Luna knew she wanted to be an Evoker wizard, harnessing the power of the cosmos, and was especially drawn to fire magics. She soon developed an affinity with fire, to the point of being able to make a spell with a different elemental aspect come out as a fire one instead. The driving force behind her studies is the desire to become one of the greatest Evoker wizards of this generation, with her name being spoken in hushed tones of awe and respect for the many great accomplishments she has taken care of in her life.

1. I met Dannigan thanks to Sherwood Sherwood and his Robotech games. I fell into the world of Sharseya and I’ve been entranced every since. (P.S. If Mario doesn’t call his tank Yoshi, I shall be very disappointed in you, Sherwood. You well know why...)

2. Why a Half-Elf? To be honest, Half-elf wasn’t my first choice. I wanted to be a Catfolk, but Dann’s world only has the Felane, which didn’t fit with the concept I was looking for, so the Half-Elf it was. Pointy ears and penchant for napping and general laziness abounds!

So why a Rogue/Sorcerer? I always like to have a mix of things, so having a thief with some tricksy spells to help him in his heists made sense to me. Otiorin’s patron is a silver dragon, Charmsring, the bonded mate of his grandmother. His father is an elk-riding Knight from a kingdom neighbouring Waterwind, the city of the Grey Elves.

Otiorin and his friends have just recently reunited the infamous weapons, the Sunfire Blade and the Moonlit Edge. The former was lost in the depths of Pohjala, the ice-locked dungeon dimension of the evil goddess Loviatar, and the latter was taken from its resting place in the temple of Corellon and until recently wielded by Otiorin. Now both weapons are back with their rightful wielder, the High Paladin of Corellon, Malakye.

Captain Hesperus

2. Why play a Kobold?

1. I love Rp Nation, and have found a small group of players that I have gravitated to that I want to stick with in my games. Thanks to Sherwood, I was introduced to Dannigan, and he must have been telling Dann some nice things about me because I was given an invite to join in the game. It has been a real blast to be a part of this, and I look forward to seeing what the next step in our adventures will be!

2. Oreleth is a full elf. I have played elves before in other tabletop games, and I like the 'feel' of them.

3. Oreleth Soumral is a Arcane Archer, which is primarily a fighter class with a hint of wizard to her to be able to enchant her arrows with spells. Soon enough, I'll be able to cast Fireball through her arrows, giving her opponents a nasty surprise! As an archer, she prefers to stay at a distance from her foes to keep them from being able to dish out the hurt on her while she is peppering her targets with lots and lots of arrows. Oreleth is generally a very straight forward kind of gal.

Ding, ding, ding! And that's everyone! Thank you, Gang! This is fun!

Expect a nice reward the next time you visit the Wayward Wagon (as Kaerri has affectionately dubbed it. What do you think of the name?). =)

Psychie Psychie Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri

Okies, I think I've finally got this Shop Talk rule down pat. Re: Elves and Half-elves Sleep/Charm effects. It's been updated in Shop Talk. =)

"Update 13 Sep 2020. I have taken away Favored Class which nerfs Half-Elves (who also already have a +2 to Saves vs. Enchantments). For what must be at least 30 years, full-blooded Elves enjoyed a 90% resistance to both Sleep and Charm effects (while Half-elves enjoyed 30%). These resistances were rolled first, and if they were not effective, the character still received a saving throw (if applicable). As of this update, if your character has elfin blood (full or half), they are immune to Sleep and sleep effects (like Deep Slumber). I am keeping the full-blooded elves' 90% resistance to Charm and restoring the Half-Elven 30% resistance to Charm effects in compensation.

This is in addition to any Pathfinder Racial bonuses for Saving Throws vs. Enchantments."

Also, Psychie? I think you still have the Precise Shot Feat on your character sheet? You may have missed it; I took out Precise Shot a few months ago. You may replace it with another Feat that Oreleth meets the prereqs for! =)

Also, Psychie? I think you still have the Precise Shot Feat on your character sheet? You may have missed it; I took out Precise Shot a few months ago. You may replace it with another Feat that Oreleth meets the prereqs for! =)
I'm sorry. I'll probably go with Mobility for my replacement Feat.

No worries! Grats on Mobility (keep in mind that only Fighters and "Fighter-type" baddies can use Attacks of Opportunities - and thank God for that! No "Mathfinder" here, thank you!).

"Yeah!" Powerpaw roars. "WE iz da ones doin' da smackin' around heeeere! Anybuddy losin' Hit Points belongs to da bad guys! MOOOAAAARR!!"

I hope to post either today or tomorrow (depending on Real Life). Stay safe and be healthy, Gang! =)

D. Rex D. Rex Heya D.! Would you please head over to Shop Talk, look up "Dice are Nice..." and select a color for our game? I'll roll that color for you for everything unless you specify a different color (which you're welcome to any time). As with Broadsword, no one here uses the RP Nation dice roller.

I'll roll your Ability Scores and post them for you. You may arrange them as desired. =)

D. Rex D. Rex Heya D.! Would you please head over to Shop Talk, look up "Dice are Nice..." and select a color for our game? I'll roll that color for you for everything unless you specify a different color (which you're welcome to any time). As with Broadsword, no one here uses the RP Nation dice roller.

I'll roll your Ability Scores and post them for you. You may arrange them as desired. =)
Yellow!

Yellow it is! And when I next have them in front of me, I will get you some Ability Scores for you to assign where you wish. =)

D. Rex D. Rex Heya D.!

Yellow dice results (4D6, drop the lowest, assign where desired, add a total of 3 Ability Points where desired for having reached 12th level).

1. 16
2. 13
3. 14
4. 12
5. 13
6. 13

Good rolls!
Remember, Kobolds in my game have the following Ability Score modifiers: -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma. =)

D. Rex D. Rex Heya D.!

Yellow dice results (4D6, drop the lowest, assign where desired, add a total of 3 Ability Points where desired for having reached 12th level).

1. 16
2. 13
3. 14
4. 12
5. 13
6. 13

Good rolls!
Remember, Kobolds in my game have the following Ability Score modifiers: -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma. =)
Awesome!

Alright. Let's see.

Strength: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 13
Cha: 13
Int: 12
Wis:13

For now, i think ill stick with this layout. But I might switch strenfth and charisma depending on if i plan to use charisma a lot. Or if I can find a polearm or spear that has finesse.

Just to be clear, you can't switch once you've started playing. ^;3^ (Barring some weird magical item or circumstance, that is, but you'd need to come across said item first.) I doubt there will be a polearm of any kind with finesse; finesse is intended for weapons which are primarily dexterity-based, like rapiers or knives.

Just to be clear, you can't switch once you've started playing. ^;3^ (Barring some weird magical item or circumstance, that is, but you'd need to come across said item first.) I doubt there will be a polearm of any kind with finesse; finesse is intended for weapons which are primarily dexterity-based, like rapiers or knives.
I meant like switching during the character creation process.

And actually! I know of at least one. I think the elven branched spear has finesse. But a kobolod getting ahold of one might be pretty hard to believe.

D. Rex D. Rex

Not to automatically turn this down, I've never heard of the elven-branched spear. The vast majority of books used for Sharseya start at D&D 1st Edition and continue to D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, especially the Core Book of the latter game. Sometimes, I'll use an occasional thing from a book that I don't own, but only after I have a complete understanding of said thing and the near-guarantee that it will fit in Sharseya (which is something I feel only the DM can do). For example, I've only very recently introduced the Elven Thornblades.

Concerning Ability Scores, Kaerri is correct. Once Grit starts playing, his Ability Scores are locked in except for the rare occasion where a very strong and reasonable roleplaying reason can be found (say, the PC doesn't know the character very well and realizes two Ability Scores should be switched. Then they come to me and we talk it out). Just like in Broadsword, this sort of thing hardly ever comes up, but I'm open to the possibility.

Strength: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 13
Cha: 13
Int: 12
Wis:13

So, if you keep Grit the way he is, he'd have...

Strength 12
Dexterity 18
Constitution 13
Charisma 15
Intelligence 12
and Wisdom 11.

Swapping the Strength and Charisma makes them 13 and 14 respectively. This makes no mathematical difference at start of game. What is likely to make a difference are the 3 points you may add from being 12th level. Where would you like them to go?

D. Rex D. Rex

Not to automatically turn this down, I've never heard of the elven-branched spear. The vast majority of books used for Sharseya start at D&D 1st Edition and continue to D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, especially the Core Book of the latter game. Sometimes, I'll use an occasional thing from a book that I don't own, but only after I have a complete understanding of said thing and the near-guarantee that it will fit in Sharseya (which is something I feel only the DM can do). For example, I've only very recently introduced the Elven Thornblades.

Concerning Ability Scores, Kaerri is correct. Once Grit starts playing, his Ability Scores are locked in except for the rare occasion where a very strong and reasonable roleplaying reason can be found (say, the PC doesn't know the character very well and realizes two Ability Scores should be switched. Then they come to me and we talk it out). Just like in Broadsword, this sort of thing hardly ever comes up, but I'm open to the possibility.

So, if you keep Grit the way he is, he'd have...

Strength 12
Dexterity 18
Constitution 13
Charisma 15
Intelligence 12
and Wisdom 11.

Swapping the Strength and Charisma makes them 13 and 14 respectively. This makes no mathematical difference at start of game. What is likely to make a difference are the 3 points you may add from being 12th level. Where would you like them to go?
Its no big deal. Just something I saw in that vast amount of stuff from those two pathfinder sites.

Big thing is looking for something manageable with reach. Whips are an option, or maybe find a bag of unlimited throwing knives or something. Then again! I could always just bulk up strength to be able to use a spear.

Speaking of stats. What is the primary stat that would govern riding and helping Scamp?

And yes! Forgot about the level up ones. And it would make a difference. So then I would switch str and cha. Then add 1 to Str, Con, and Wisdom. Making them

Str 14
Dex 18
Con 14
Cha 14
Int 12
Wis 12

Obviously that leaves Dex not at 20. Not sold on this entirely, but its a start. Depends in if feats give any attribute bonuses like dnd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back