• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Fifteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course! How can I help? And have you read up on the Rule of Five and the Skill called "Monster Lore" in Shop Talk?

Of course! How can I help? And have you read up on the Rule of Five and the Skill called "Monster Lore" in Shop Talk?
Well first, just want to confirm.

I get 4 skill ranks per level. So thats 48.
With a +1 modifier in int thats another 12.

That brings me to 60.

So! If I buy a rank in athletics, does that cover all its subskills like climb and swim?

So in previous editions, "class skill" meant a couple of things: either it cost less to "buy" with skill points, or it gave you an extra bonus that was not part of the skill rank. We don't have either one in the game currently.

Using Kaerri's Athletics as an example:
Athletics . . . . +11 = 10 ranks + 0 Str + 1 luckstone (+ 4 swim, Trophy of Typhon)

She has 10 ranks, so that's an implied +10. (It also means she doesn't have to roll on certain easy things, as per the Rule of 5 Dannigan mentioned.)
She has a 10 Strength, so her ability bonus is +0.
She has a neat little magical item called a luckstone that lets her add +1 to certain rolls, skill checks among them.
She has another magical item that adds +4 on swim-related Athletics checks. That's called a conditional modifier because it doesn't apply to everything, only certain conditions.

So for most Athletics skill checks, Kaerri adds +11 to whatever she rolls on the d20, and +15 if it's swimming-related.

Alrighty! I think that helps me with my skills! Just got to add them up, but will do so after I handle...

Equipment!

Of the magic items, I am choosing

Boots of Striding and Jumping
Belt of Ogre Power
Cloak of Resistance +1
Ring of Jumping
Bag of Holding v1

Thiugj as a quick question. Would the shield from the force shield ring work with a two handed range weapon? I don't think it would, but it IS magic.

As for the weapon and armor choice.

Grit mains the light crossbow. So I suppose its a LCB +1? Is it of any specific material?

And for magic armor!
As a fighter, he gets ignores -3 to armor check penalty and gets a +3 to max dex bonus to medium armor.

As such, I think he will be using a breastplate, since I think that sounds standard issue for a guard. But he wouldn't be adverse to using a chain shirt either.

You need to roll something for magic armor?

Purr Purr

Good deal! Please write out these things in how they're described (or chance my getting confused down the road)? It has happened! =)

Boots of Striding and Jumping
Bag of Holding v1

Boots of Striding and Springing.
Bag of Holding Type I.

Would the shield from the force shield ring work with a two handed range weapon?

It depends on the two-handed ranged weapon in question. Bows? It would not as it takes two hands to draw and fire. Crossbow? Also no, but for a different reason - one needs that second hand to reload. So, in rare circumstances, if he wanted to say, shoot his crossbow then instead of reloading it, activate a Ring of Force Shield to increase his Armor Class, that's a definite yes. But then he would have to decide if he's using the ranged weapon or getting the bonus from the Ring of Force Shield.

So I suppose its a LCB +1?

Please avoid uncommon acronyms? It took me about 20 seconds to figure out what in the heck a LCB ("Light Cross Bow?") was. AC for Armor Class and HP for Hit Points is O.K.. If it's on a Character Sheet though, I prefer it be spelled out. No confusion is a good thing. =)

As such, I think he will be using a breastplate, since I think that sounds standard issue for a guard. But he wouldn't be adverse to using a chain shirt either.

The Highwind City Guard and City Watch use normal chain mail armor with hauberks over those (not to be confused with a chain shirt which is light armor). Since Grit is an adventurer, he'll be starting with magic armor he has procured during his years as an adventurer. There would be no problems with Grit using this armor while on-duty instead of his issued armor, sword, and shield.

As for magic weapons and magic armor, I roll those randomly after I've asked the PC for a general preference. Since you've already provided that, I'll get to rolling!

D. Rex D. Rex What type of armor is Grit's preference? Chain shirt (light), chain mail (medium armor), breastplate?

D. Rex D. Rex What type of armor is Grit's preference? Chain shirt (light), chain mail (medium armor), breastplate?
Given that he has been getting more and more comfortable with wearing armors. I'm going to say a breastplate. Nothing like a nice cuirass to protect your important innards.

Okies! And if he had a choice of melee weapon, which type would he favor?

Okies! And if he had a choice of melee weapon, which type would he favor?
Shortsword!

Quick question before you roll for armor though.

Does medium armor have its own penalty to acrobatic checks that is separate from the armor check penalty?

No. Armor Check Penalty applies to any Dexterity-related roll and is a trait of the armor itself, not of medium armor in general. Put another way, a chain shirt is best for mobile harassers, but if you need to stay and duke it out, medium armor is better.

No. Armor Check Penalty applies to any Dexterity-related roll and is a trait of the armor itself, not of medium armor in general. Put another way, a chain shirt is best for mobile harassers, but if you need to stay and duke it out, medium armor is better.
Defintly then going for chain shirt. Cause even with a good AC, Grit is small enough to risk being punted across the dungeon.

Okies!

Rolling the yellow dice here...

Grit has an enchanted suit of Glamered Chain Shirt +3.
He has obtained a light wooden shield of Spell Resistance (15).
He also owns a Flaming Light Crossbow +3 that performs Light on Command (as the spell per a command word). with 30 +3 bolts.
Finally, he has a short sword +2 with a nice leather sheath.

These items are upgraded from the standard list you've seen in Shop Talk. That list was made back when the Wayward Wanderers were just starting the game (at 6th level). The above starting gear is fitting for a 12th level Character. Enjoy! =)

Okies!

Rolling the yellow dice here...

Grit has an enchanted suit of Glamered Chain Shirt +3.
He has obtained a light wooden shield of Spell Resistance (15).
He also owns a Flaming Light Crossbow +3 that performs Light on Command (as the spell per a command word). with 30 +3 bolts.
Finally, he has a short sword +2 with a nice leather sheath.

These items are upgraded from the standard list you've seen in Shop Talk. That list was made back when the Wayward Wanderers were just starting the game (at 6th level). The above starting gear is fitting for a 12th level Character. Enjoy! =)
Ha! Glamered! Glamored! Get it!?

And a flaming crossbow! Sweet! And spell resistance!

But what I'm most excited about is that leather sheath. Its nice! I'm gonna show that bad boy off everywhere.

Quick question though! Does the flamkng property of the crossbow... does it light the crossbow aflame? Or just whatever is launched from it?

Whatever is launched from it. In no case does the fire harm the wielder (not even on a Fumble).

Also, understand - that Glamered armor is a real prize! It literally transforms into other types of clothing! Up in the Frozen North? Poof! Grit's covered in furs! Having a swim with your buddies in the pond? Poof! It's a swimsuit! Nice clothes, gaudy clothes, it takes a Standard action to active it (the same for most magical items) and it will not work in places where magic does not function (but those places are very rare). But color scheme? Fabric? Outfits? Grit has the potential to be One Classy Kobold with that magical armor of his!

Also, understand - that Glamered armor is a real prize! It literally transforms into other types of clothing! Up in the Frozen North? Poof! Grit's covered in furs! Having a swim with your buddies in the pond? Poof! It's a swimsuit! Nice clothes, gaudy clothes, it takes a Standard action to active it (the same for most magical items) and it will not work in places where magic does not function (but those places are very rare). But color scheme? Fabric? Outfits? Grit has the potential to be One Classy Kobold with that magical armor of his!
Does it actually take the effect of those items?! Wow!

What about AC?

Heck! Grit can wear that and still be in uniform!

Armor Class (in my game) does not change! And you've got it exactly right - Grit can transform his armor to have a hauberk upon it and thereby be in uniform (much to the envy of his fellow guards, I imagine)!

Armor Class (in my game) does not change! And you've got it exactly right - Grit can transform his armor to have a hauberk upon it and thereby be in uniform (much to the envy of his fellow guards, I imagine)!
Them are some tough ass swim trunks.

What sort of action would this take to use in combat?

Like I said, it's a Standard Action (so it would take up Grit's ability to attack that round). Basically, you just brush your hands down the armor three times (you can use one hand or two) while imagining what you want to wear and whoosh! It's there!

Like I said, it's a Standard Action (so it would take up Grit's ability to attack that round). Basically, you just brush your hands down the armor three times (you can use one hand or two) while imagining what you want to wear and whoosh! It's there!
He better be careful when eating BBQ ribs then. Any idle thoughts could be embarrassing.

Ha ha! I never thought of it that way before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back