• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Fifteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will find someway to reward you for your generosity and understanding, D. Rex.

Spiked chain is an exotic weapon and would require the Exotic Weapon proficiency to use properly, which would take up a feat slot. On the plus side, it's a Weapon Finesse* weapon so Grit could use his Dex for the attack rolls ^;3^ However, it doesn't have a range listed so I don't think it would give him reach. On the other hand, there is this cool feat called Lunge that lets you take a -2 penalty to your Armor Class and increases your reach by 5 feet until your next turn (you just have to declare it before you make any attacks on the current turn). If you don't want to take up the feat slot with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain, I recommend flail instead.

* Note that unlike D&D and Pathfinder, in Dannigan's Sharseya, Weapon Finesse is a property of the weapons it would apply to, so you don't need to spend a feat slot for it.

On the subject of combat maneuvers:
Improved Trip gives you a +2 bonus on trip attempts, and you won't provoke an attack of opportunity from such enemies as have the ability to perform one (fighter-types primarily, as I recall).
Improved Disarm: likewise but for disarms instead of trips.
And the higher-level versions:
Greater Trip: Enemies you trip provoke attacks of opportunity from such allies as have the ability to perform them.
Greater Disarm: Disarmed weapons are knocked away from the enemy instead of at their feet.

Agile Maneuvers: lets you use your Dex bonus instead of your Str when performing the above (ordinarily, it's base attack bonus + Str + size modifier).

Don't take Defensive Combat Training unless you multiclass into something with a lower base attack bonus. It will give pure fighters no advantage at all.

Other combat feats:

I highly recommend Dodge. It's a +1 dodge bonus to your Armor Class and you don't have to declare it, it's just always on (unless circumstances deny your your Dexterity bonus to AC).

It sounds like Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery will be important to Grit's style. You might like Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge also (the one to let you move before and after an attack action; the other to let you do double damage on a charge), though those are for melee attacks while mounted.

Point-Blank Shot for sure also. Rapid Shot, and later Manyshot, give you more attacks per round (more specifically, the former gives you one extra ranged attack, while the latter lets you shoot two arrows simultaneously). If you're using a crossbow rather than a bow, you'll want Rapid Reload instead of Manyshot, and probably a lot sooner. ^;3^

Weapon Focus for your preferred weapon, or take it again if you want to focus on more than one. The feats which have Weapon Focus as a prereq can be pretty nice, and some of them are fighter-only.
-- Dazzling Display (intimidates all foes within 30 feet), Shatter Defenses (hindered foes are flatfooted, which lets your rogue allies do all kinds of fun things to them), and Deadly Stroke (deals double damage plus 1 Con bleed) is the first chain of feats linked off of Weapon Focus.
-- Greater Weapon Focus is fighter-only and gives you an additional +1 to attack with the chosen weapon.
-- Penetrating Strike, if you're a 12th level fighter, lets you ignore 5 points of damage reduction, which is nice, and when you reach 16 you can take Greater Penetrating Strike to ignore 10 points of damage reduction.
-- Weapon Specialization: Also a fighter-only feat, gives you a +2 bonus on damage rolls with the chosen weapon. Followed at 12th level fighter by Greater Weapon Specialization, which gives you another +2 on damage.

Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Greater Weapon Specialization all require you to choose a particular weapon, but you can take them multiple times if you want to have them for both your melee and ranged primary weapons.

Vital Strike: lets you roll twice the regular weapon dice for your weapon if you make a single attack. (modifiers and crit are nod doubled)
-- Improved Vital Strike: 3x the regular weapon dice
-- -- Greater Vital Strike: This one you can't get until you're level 16, but it gives you four times the normal damage dice for your weapon when making that single attack.

Non-combat feats:

The feat that improved Handle Animal and Ride, Animal Affinity, now just adds to Nature, so really it isn't worth taking unless you have nothing else to put in a non-combat slot. Instead, I suggest Skill Focus: Nature. It adds +3 to your rolls, +6 if you have 10 ranks or more.

Self-Sufficient, I believe, now adds its +2 to Medicine and Nature, and that will stack with Skill Focus: Nature. If you have 10 or more ranks in either, you get a +4 instead to the one you have 10 ranks in.

You don't want ninjas in this game. Bad enough you have evil Monk/Mages of Wee Jas to deal with, right Gang? =)

Kobold ninja with a kusari-gama! Heh!

You might like Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge also (the one to let you move before and after an attack action; the other to let you do double damage on a charge), though those are for melee attacks while mounted.
I am corrected by Dannigan as regards Ride-By Attack. Because Scamp is the one doing the charging, Grit can do his ranged attack as part of the Ride-By Attack feat (and therefore you can move before and after firing).

The feat that improved Handle Animal and Ride, Animal Affinity, now just adds to Nature, so really it isn't worth taking unless you have nothing else to put in a non-combat slot. Instead, I suggest Skill Focus: Nature. It adds +3 to your rolls, +6 if you have 10 ranks or more.

Self-Sufficient, I believe, now adds its +2 to Medicine and Nature, and that will stack with Skill Focus: Nature. If you have 10 or more ranks in either, you get a +4 instead to the one you have 10 ranks in.
Just for the wow factor, if my math is correct, this means if Grit has 10 ranks in Nature and both of those feats he's got a +21 on his ride check before he rolls. ^D^

Spiked chain is an exotic weapon and would require the Exotic Weapon proficiency to use properly, which would take up a feat slot. On the plus side, it's a Weapon Finesse* weapon so Grit could use his Dex for the attack rolls ^;3^ However, it doesn't have a range listed so I don't think it would give him reach. On the other hand, there is this cool feat called Lunge that lets you take a -2 penalty to your Armor Class and increases your reach by 5 feet until your next turn (you just have to declare it before you make any attacks on the current turn). If you don't want to take up the feat slot with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain, I recommend flail instead.

* Note that unlike D&D and Pathfinder, in Dannigan's Sharseya, Weapon Finesse is a property of the weapons it would apply to, so you don't need to spend a feat slot for it.

On the subject of combat maneuvers:
Improved Trip gives you a +2 bonus on trip attempts, and you won't provoke an attack of opportunity from such enemies as have the ability to perform one (fighter-types primarily, as I recall).
Improved Disarm: likewise but for disarms instead of trips.
And the higher-level versions:
Greater Trip: Enemies you trip provoke attacks of opportunity from such allies as have the ability to perform them.
Greater Disarm: Disarmed weapons are knocked away from the enemy instead of at their feet.

Agile Maneuvers: lets you use your Dex bonus instead of your Str when performing the above (ordinarily, it's base attack bonus + Str + size modifier).

Don't take Defensive Combat Training unless you multiclass into something with a lower base attack bonus. It will give pure fighters no advantage at all.

Other combat feats:

I highly recommend Dodge. It's a +1 dodge bonus to your Armor Class and you don't have to declare it, it's just always on (unless circumstances deny your your Dexterity bonus to AC).

It sounds like Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery will be important to Grit's style. You might like Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge also (the one to let you move before and after an attack action; the other to let you do double damage on a charge), though those are for melee attacks while mounted.

Point-Blank Shot for sure also. Rapid Shot, and later Manyshot, give you more attacks per round (more specifically, the former gives you one extra ranged attack, while the latter lets you shoot two arrows simultaneously). If you're using a crossbow rather than a bow, you'll want Rapid Reload instead of Manyshot, and probably a lot sooner. ^;3^

Weapon Focus for your preferred weapon, or take it again if you want to focus on more than one. The feats which have Weapon Focus as a prereq can be pretty nice, and some of them are fighter-only.
-- Dazzling Display (intimidates all foes within 30 feet), Shatter Defenses (hindered foes are flatfooted, which lets your rogue allies do all kinds of fun things to them), and Deadly Stroke (deals double damage plus 1 Con bleed) is the first chain of feats linked off of Weapon Focus.
-- Greater Weapon Focus is fighter-only and gives you an additional +1 to attack with the chosen weapon.
-- Penetrating Strike, if you're a 12th level fighter, lets you ignore 5 points of damage reduction, which is nice, and when you reach 16 you can take Greater Penetrating Strike to ignore 10 points of damage reduction.
-- Weapon Specialization: Also a fighter-only feat, gives you a +2 bonus on damage rolls with the chosen weapon. Followed at 12th level fighter by Greater Weapon Specialization, which gives you another +2 on damage.

Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Greater Weapon Specialization all require you to choose a particular weapon, but you can take them multiple times if you want to have them for both your melee and ranged primary weapons.

Vital Strike: lets you roll twice the regular weapon dice for your weapon if you make a single attack. (modifiers and crit are nod doubled)
-- Improved Vital Strike: 3x the regular weapon dice
-- -- Greater Vital Strike: This one you can't get until you're level 16, but it gives you four times the normal damage dice for your weapon when making that single attack.

Non-combat feats:

This is very very helpful! Thank you! Definitely going to look those over as im deciding. I won't be getting too greedy with weapon focuses though. A good Ranged, a good melee, and the default Proficiencies will be enough to get me by.

Just for the wow factor, if my math is correct, this means if Grit has 10 ranks in Nature and both of those feats he's got a +21 on his ride check before he rolls. ^D^
I could start my own home and gardens show!

You don't want ninjas in this game. Bad enough you have evil Monk/Mages of Wee Jas to deal with, right Gang? =)

Kobold ninja with a kusari-gama! Heh!
That is exactly how one tempts me. Cause I can make it happen.

A bit of multiclassing, maybe. But Grit summoning Scamp like Naruto summons toads. Grit the Badger Sage. Focus on unarmed(badger style of course) and monk weapons. Get a few cool spells and cast them like its special jutsus that mimic classic ninja tricks. And buy tricky trinkets like caltrops and ball bearings and other goodies.

Have me a stealth, utilitarian, item user and and martial artist, and have the kobold dancing around in a battle like yoda.

Neat idea, but it's for Rifts, not Sharseya. =)

If it's a dare that tempts you, I bet you can't get an entire Kobold tribe to live within Highwind's walls instead of suffering outside in the woods instead of the caverns that were stolen from them. It's one thing to change a single character, especially your own. Can you change a society?

Neat idea, but it's for Rifts, not Sharseya. =)

If it's a dare that tempts you, I bet you can't get an entire Kobold tribe to live within Highwind's walls instead of suffering outside in the woods instead of the caverns that were stolen from them. It's one thing to change a single character, especially your own. Can you change a society?
Even better! They won't know how 5o handle me!

Bah. Thats an easy dare. I wont JUST do that. I'll have them be as a prestigious an addition as the Vertically-Challenged Elves Union was for the Cobbler Guild!

Now get on over to the Character Creation Guide and tell me which of the 6 sets of Ability Scores you'd like. =)
Going with selection 3. 13, 17, 14, 12, 9, 12

And after doing math stuffs (racial and the 3 added...)

Str 10
Dex 20
Con 12
Int 10
Cha 16
Wis 12

Not as good, but it will do i suppose. At least I'm not in the negative.

Having a higher intelligence means having more skill points, correct?

Correct! An Intelligence of 10 makes Grit as average as it gets. He receives no bonuses but also no penalties.

Also, sometime back, I became kind of tired of the "Mathfinder" portions of the Pathfinder game. Things like everyone getting Attacks of Opportunities (now it's just Fighters with a readied melee weapon and "Fighter-type" creatures, monsters, and so forth). I laid down some changes and one of those involved Skill Points. Every Class in Sharseya now receives 4 Skill Points every level (plus or minus their Intelligence Ability Score). Normally, Fighters, Clerics, Wizards and some others would receive 1/2 of that. I believe this level of education makes for more interesting characters with diverse abilities, hence the change.

So, I hope you'll feel the same way I do that having an averagely-intelligent character still nets a good advantage for those seeking an educated character. It is only those whose characters have low Intelligence scores that have reason to be troubled, and as one gains in levels, this too can be changed. =)

Correct! An Intelligence of 10 makes Grit as average as it gets. He receives no bonuses but also no penalties.

Also, sometime back, I became kind of tired of the "Mathfinder" portions of the Pathfinder game. Things like everyone getting Attacks of Opportunities (now it's just Fighters with a readied melee weapon and "Fighter-type" creatures, monsters, and so forth). I laid down some changes and one of those involved Skill Points. Every Class in Sharseya now receives 4 Skill Points every level (plus or minus their Intelligence Ability Score). Normally, Fighters, Clerics, Wizards and some others would receive 1/2 of that. I believe this level of education makes for more interesting characters with diverse abilities, hence the change.

So, I hope you'll feel the same way I do that having an averagely-intelligent character still nets a good advantage for those seeking an educated character. It is only those whose characters have low Intelligence scores that have reason to be troubled, and as one gains in levels, this too can be changed. =)

That will work pretty good then! I'll need them. My other option would have been to lower my charisma to raise my int. This way I don't have to, and should still get the same amount of skills as if I did.

Dannigan Dannigan
On Elven Thornblades, what does this tidbit mean?

"attacks with an elven thornblade gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls made to confirm critical hits."

In the normal Pathfinder games, rolling a Critical Hit with your weapon does not automatically cause Critical Damage. One has to roll a second time to "confirm" the critical hit (which succeeds if it meets or exceeds the Armor Class of the target). While this is easy to do in a tabletop setting, I've found it tedious to ask for yet another roll during a Play-by-Post setting, so (like in 1st Edition) in Sharseya there is no need to confirm a Critical Hit.

Last edited:
In the normal Pathfinder games, rolling a Critical Hit with your weapon does not automatically cause Critical Damage. One has to roll a second time to "confirm" the critical hit. While this is easy to do in a tabletop setting, I've found it tedious to ask for yet another roll during a Play-by-Post setting, so (like in 1st Edition) in Sharseya there is no need to confirm a Critical Hit.
So nothing then?

So what is my next step?

Just been looking at weapons to see which one would be a good focus on for feats and the like.

Would I be able to use the kusari-gama to Indiana Jones my way across a ravine?

D. Rex D. Rex

Sorry! Like the aforementioned ninjas, kusari-gamas aren't in Averlund (the european-style continent on which the vast majority of Sharseya has been played). Now a spiked chain or a whip or something like those? Have at! As for a ravine? It all depends on a number of elements (how large is the ravine? Is there anything to latch onto? Etc.). I'd recommend going at it with a good rope or cord with a grappling hook or something if you're using mundane items. =)

The next thing to go after are Signature Abilities. Now, since this was written, I have upped the damage of Small-sized creatures to that of Medium-sized creatures (and made no change to Large-sized). But other than that, it's series of benefits granted to PCs who know their characters well. Signature Abilities are bonuses or new abilities that PCs gain either through hard work or a truly natural talent that is inherent to the Character.

I usually allow 1 at 1st level, another around 6th, and another around 11th with each Signature Ability having a benefit roughly equal to said level (highly depending on the trait in question). Others can be earned in-game (though that's rare). Signature Abilities are basically Character traits with bonuses (as opposed to Class or Racial). The Signature Abilities can also be stacked upon another for greater effects or made completely independent of one another. Above all though, they must be a part of the Character.

Hey Gang? Anyone have Signature Abilities they're proud of? =)

Here's Bren's, or rather three of Bren's since it seems he's owed another I haven't come up with yet. >.>

Signature ability: Mighty blow (12/day)
Bren can cause knockback on a successful attack, once per character level per day. Metagame: Before rolling the attack, Bren must state that he's attempting a knockback. If the attack hits, damage is dealt as normal, and then the target must make a Fortitude save. GM sez whether it works from there. If the attack misses, the attempt is still used up.

Signature ability: Interpose (12/day)
Usable once per day per level. When an enemy makes a successful attack against an adjacent ally, Bren may take the damage (and other effects) as if he had been hit instead. For the purpose of this ability, "attack" includes any melee attack, ranged attack, and touch attack and ranged touch attack spells.

Thoughts for the future (personal notes):
--Maybe he can work on retaining some or all of his armor class rather than just taking damage
--(from the GM) Maybe he can work on acquiring damage reduction in regards to this particular ability

Signature ability: ((new))

Minor signature ability: Speak with Animals (Equines)

Two of them are active, abilities he can call on. One is passive (the ability to speak with horses and other equines).

D. Rex D. Rex

Sorry! Like the aforementioned ninjas, kusari-gamas aren't in Averlund (the european-style continent on which the vast majority of Sharseya has been played). Now a spiked chain or a whip or something like those? Have at! As for a ravine? It all depends on a number of elements (how large is the ravine? Is there anything to latch onto? Etc.). I'd recommend going at it with a good rope or cord with a grappling hook or something if you're using mundane items. =)

The next thing to go after are Signature Abilities. Now, since this was written, I have upped the damage of Small-sized creatures to that of Medium-sized creatures (and made no change to Large-sized). But other than that, it's series of benefits granted to PCs who know their characters well. Signature Abilities are bonuses or new abilities that PCs gain either through hard work or a truly natural talent that is inherent to the Character.

I usually allow 1 at 1st level, another around 6th, and another around 11th with each Signature Ability having a benefit roughly equal to said level (highly depending on the trait in question). Others can be earned in-game (though that's rare). Signature Abilities are basically Character traits with bonuses (as opposed to Class or Racial). The Signature Abilities can also be stacked upon another for greater effects or made completely independent of one another. Above all though, they must be a part of the Character.

Hey Gang? Anyone have Signature Abilities they're proud of? =)

No worries! I'll find something cool. But given my feats, I think I'll stick with martial weapons to free up some feat slots.

Speaking of! I was looking at feats, and vital strike looked fun. Though given it means I can only attack once per turn, it would make the advantages of repeating crossbows a bit superfluous. Could go great with an ordinary heavy crossbow.

Leaves me with the conundrum of mo' damage or mo' shots.

Also, speaking of traits, how many normal traits do we have?

As for signature ability! To be honest, i have been thinking on it and still don't know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back