• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Eighteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short note on the in-game offer: I can cast magical vestment up to 7 times (I'd prefer less than that to keep my options open), granting a +3 enhancement bonus to any armor, shield or clothing. Holds for 13 hours, so no rush to get into a fight after that. Anyone interested? It's quick to cast, so I'd be inclined to use it before Kaerri potentially needs help.
Might as well.

Aww, man! That stinks. But I'll make do. Thanks for trying, though.

More enchantments for the others to take the hits in the first place - you're mostly there for roasting people, right?

By the way, Dann - I think I goofed up and forgot to pick up some of the spell components for the higher-level spells. I'll have to recheck, but it might be good if there's a chance to pick them up at some point in the future.

Aww, man! That stinks. But I'll make do. Thanks for trying, though.
Heh!

Sherwood, perhaps take the time to go through your fellow PCs character sheets and compare Luna's Armor Class with theirs? Add in the fact that, unlike they, Luna has zero troubles with things like armor check penalties against skills? She's carrying no weight to put against her encumbrance (if she needed to pick up a hotel, she'd be one of the fastest in the group).

Sure, one can come up with disadvantages but in the grand scheme of things, but yeah. She's not "hurting" at all. =)

By the way, Dann - I think I goofed up and forgot to pick up some of the spell components for the higher-level spells. I'll have to recheck, but it might be good if there's a chance to pick them up at some point in the future.
In my head, I've assumed that your character has at least the means to cast every available spell to him a minimum of one time.

As long as costly spell opponents don't get sold off as players I've had in other campaigns have attempted to do), I'm willing to keep to that. =)

I know that Luna is very well protected for a squishy spell caster, but as a player, I want mooooaaaarrr! lol

Wanting more is fine! It's the name of the game!

But I say earn it! In-game! Within the rules! Roleplay it! =)

Do any of you know how Kaerri got ahold of Wave in the first place? Isn't he pretty cool? And you guys have no idea of some of the stuff he can do. But with me as your Dungeon Master, I can give you one thing for absolute certain - it did not just drop into her lap freely.

Kaerri earned Wave.

And I strongly believe the telling of how she did it beats the socks off of some alternative where Wave simply dropped into her lap without her having to have raised a finger in-game. =)

I get it. I've fought to boost Luna to the fireball-throwing powerhouse that she is today, and I have absolutely no issue with having to work to get other goodies for her. Makes it worthwhile to look at what I have. If everything was just handed to us, it wouldn't mean as much.

In my head, I've assumed that your character has at least the means to cast every available spell to him a minimum of one time.

As long as costly spell opponents don't get sold off as players I've had in other campaigns have attempted to do), I'm willing to keep to that. =)
That's one heck of a generous ruling - are you sure? Like, true seeing needs a 250 gp ingredient, for example... that's quite a lot, looking at my budget at the moment. Needless to say: I sure as hell won't sell those things if that's the ruling. All I want to do is cast my spells eventually.

Do any of you know how Kaerri got ahold of Wave in the first place? Isn't he pretty cool? And you guys have no idea of some of the stuff he can do. But with me as your Dungeon Master, I can give you one thing for absolute certain - it did not just drop into her lap freely.
For the record, I don't know all the stuff he can do either...

That's one heck of a generous ruling - are you sure? Like, true seeing needs a 250 gp ingredient, for example... that's quite a lot, looking at my budget at the moment. Needless to say: I sure as hell won't sell those things if that's the ruling. All I want to do is cast my spells eventually.
Silanon Silanon It may seem so on the surface (heck, it may be in general!). In my mind, I want your characters to be able to use - within reason - all that they have earned in my game. I'm really big on that. Part of that are the spells you get when you level. I want casters to, at least, be able to cast every spell in that new level at least once; I don't want you to level up and see that empty Spell slot remain empty because you lack that item you need so much.

Now, as folks get to higher level, those spells can alter the course of a fight, of a session, of a campaign, and even of an entire gaming world (it's happened with me). These spell components, while rare, are going to eventually be things your characters are going to want to go after in one way or another (either by finding merchants who have them, or hey! By adventuring and getting them yourselves without having to pay or trade to anybody if you want!).

Let me use one easy example - the old Raise Dead spell. To cast that spell once, you require a diamond of no less than 5,000 gold pieces! That goes bye-bye every time you cast it (plus the other issues with the Raise Dead in Pathfinder which is a bit different than 1st Edition/AD&D). So, let's say your party has suffered a catastrophic near-party wipe and you have three dead party members at your feet. Their Players want to play them again. That's a minimum of 15,000 gold pieces that must be collected in three diamonds! I say minimum because what happens if you're lucky enough to find/trade for diamonds but they're 7,500 g.p.? Now you're talking 22,500 gold pieces! That situation can get rough quickly, can't it? =)

There's also one more important factor and that is the combination of character level and their relative successes as adventurers. Please keep in mind that, with the exception of Kaerri Rainshadow (who is very, very well-equipped), all of the Wayward Wanderers (and soon to be) are in terms of gear and gold underpowered. 5,000 gold pieces is absolutely nuts to ask a 5th level party to pony up. But a 13th level party? And a large one at that? No problem. One successful dungeon run in the right place and, if the party is wise, they'll have that just because of the kinds of dangers they'll be facing. Put another way, I'm sure you don't think for a minute that there is only dust and pieces of loose thread in the many pockets and bags of these Storm Lords, right?

But in order for your party to get it, they have to have the means to at least cast their spells (including their big ones) at least once when they level. Most of the time, I don't worry about spell component costs. But when I do, it had better be there or your character, and possibly your whole party, is out of luck.

One more thing - this is why I am adamant that PCs don't try and sell off said spell components. What? You traded off that 5,000 gold piece diamond on partying with your buddies? You drank all that money down and spent it on wild guys or girls? Now, here in Real Life, <insert poor Player here> can't play their deceased character until the Wayward Wanderers hike their butts to wherever there are other 5,000 gold piece diamonds (remember, minimum worth!)? Now that person is out of luck?

That's a fast road to some serious inter-player unhappiness just waiting to happen! Hah!

But not for the wise party of good friends who can make the most of what they've got. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

So, let's say your party has suffered a catastrophic near-party wipe and you have three dead party members at your feet. Their Players want to play them again.
This happened once. We owed the Church of St. Cuthbert a lot of favors for a while. >.> (Fortunately they knew us and did it on credit, but I wouldn't want to rely on that.)

That kind of favor would certainly add up. You were lucky that they were willing to offer you the loan.

Oreleth is a wood elf. She was born in the Forest Eternal where wood elves daily sing Corellon Larethian's praises. The wild is known to them. And Oreleth knows without asking... that winds do not by themselves travel this far down caverns unless something made them act thus!

Aldrin of Hobbitcrest gets what his folk would call a "queer feeling" as the wind ruffles his hair and clothing. That wind, he knows, belongs to someone! That was no normal breeze or simple trick of nature!

Mamapaw's goes instantly still. The fur on her hackles rises and her face grimaces into a snarl as she holds the Maul of the Titans in a death-grip. With no small amount of cautious, she tells everyone present with her, "Winds... do not blow in this manner!"
Just to be clear, is the wind that we are feeling coming to us from outside the cave blowing in, or from further inside the cave blowing out?

He inhales deeply, filling his lungs, and a great sweeping wind comes dancing down the tunnels! Far, but not distant, the Wayward Wanderers are caressed by a gentle drifting wind that passes by into the cavern.
My read of this would be that it travels inwards - which would make some sense, given that it seems to provide him with information about us. And it matches the inhaling part, too. Could be wrong, though.

I'm guessing he's doing the thing he did to Kaerri where he caused a wind to blow past her so that he could learn about her. If so, then it should be going inwards, so that he can "see" (smell? taste?) who else is in the caves.

(I love listening to my Players talk shop!)

Just to be clear, is the wind that we are feeling coming to us from outside the cave blowing in, or from further inside the cave blowing out?
It is coming from the outside of the cave and toward the speakers. But Oreleth's wood elf senses are telling her you are too far inside the cave for such a breeze to enter this far and not die down on its own.

Her concern increased when she felt it apply itself to her back though; did that mean something was going to stab her there? or was one of the two Felane going to forget their own strength and give her a hearty slap on the back later on in the day?
jaydude jaydude I laughed out loud when I read this! Well done, man! =)

Oreleth nods, saying, "We will close in and stand ready to come to Kaerri's aid. Move as silently as possible. With as loud as these giants are, we should hear from a good distance back what they are saying to know if there is danger afoot."
The party leader hath spoken! =)

Purr Purr
Was kinda hoping that Alisa would be a bit more sneaky than that. Did you roll stealth checks for us or something?

And for what it's worth, I was hoping so too. However, if the Storm Lords have noticed, they have not shown it. (They too must make Perception checks of their own in order to notice.) =)

Purr Purr
Was kinda hoping that Alisa would be a bit more sneaky than that. Did you roll stealth checks for us or something?
jaydude jaydude But to more fully answer your question, yes. When your party leader wrote in-game that the party was moving forward quietly, that tells me all of your characters are trying to use the Stealth Skill. Stealth is one of those Skills affected by Armor Check Penalty (which brings negatives to all Dexterity and Strength-related rolls as long as the armor is worn). This was taken into account when I rolled. I'm bringing this up because it will also likely play a factor in Silanon's Pathfinder 1.0 game and it's something PCs should definitely be aware of. =)

EDIT: It's not something that affects Alisa with her current armor; she just rolled low. =)

Purr Purr I presume that with as loud as the King is that we can all hear what he has to say? I don't want to post IC about it unless I know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back