• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Eighteen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two important things I want to bring up here:

1. Thanks so much for your patience! It has been nearly a month since posts were made in-game and I didn't realize it then, but I needed a break from Sharseya, I needed feedback from you (which I got from everyone to my surprise! Woo!), and I needed time to put myself into the correct emotional state to write this first in-game post in Chapter Eighteen. Writing that wasn't easy. It 'touched home," if you will. Went places I'm not comfortable with. But my dreams are greater than my fears. And my "dream" if you will is to write how I wish. Live how I wish. Be the Dannigan I am happiest being and this is all part of that!

As a safe haven, I see roleplaying as part-entertainment, part-therapy, and all fun!

Part of that is challenging myself. This first post was challenging, but if you're feeling for these kobolds in ways you're not used to feeling (especially for fictional characters in a text-based game with players, most of whom you've never met face-to-face), then as your Dungeon Master, I've succeeded! And in being capable of that, I've come a looong way from the DM I was when I was 10 years old! Heh!

2. Rewards and RP Points. I don't want to go over the level of the module before it's even really started. But that's the way we're headed. So... for this chapter, I'd like to award you and your Characters with something besides RP Points lest you guys out-level this entire adventure before you've really started it (I had hoped to get you guys where you are now back in mid-2021 but life and COVID-19 and everything being what it is, I'm just grateful we're here now - and with Jay and Sil to boot! Woo!).

In the hopes you don't mind me talking shop about this a little more, please let me explain something important. In Robotech: Broadsword, I can afford to dish out the RP Points. That's a Palladium game. If your Characters hop up two levels in a year, that's really no big power difference. But in Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder 3.5? The difference is much, much greater! I don't want to speed things along at the pace we're going because encounters you thought were daunting before are trivialized before you know it. Remember, I started back in the days of 1st Edition (AD&D). The last thing I want to do is put you guys in a game with that kind of challenge and deadliness without you guys being ready for it. There are monsters out there now below your experience level that might win on your group because we don't do combat that often and I don't think most of you are aware of what your Characters can really do. And moreso, what your party can do together.

I think I can see it it plainly enough and know what to throw at you and what not to. But you guys might get to a point where it's, "Whoa! Holy moly! What in the heck is this and how do we fight it?" And I'm sitting in the DM chair saying, "That's a typical 13th-level encounter. Want to take it to 14th?"

So instead, would you guys mind if I rewarded you in items this level around?

The Wayward Wanderers, with only a couple of exceptions, are woefully undergeared. This is especially true of Sil and Jay's brand-new Characters. For brand-new Characters, this is by design. For a party adding two new valuable PCs? I think you could use the gear better than you could use the RP Points, frankly. Remember the loose Iron Golem in Highwind's Marketplace? Remember how hardly any of you could hurt the darned thing? It's largely in part because you lacked the gear of a party your level. At this stage, I honestly think being higher level will work against you. But... I'm just one DM with one brain and one pair of eyes.

So what do you think, everybody?

Thanks again for your feedback in late Chapter 17! I needed it and it helped me "center myself" if you like the martial arts term. So what would "center" you if indeed any of you feel "off-center?" You've given me plenty with your feedback, but I'm always here if you've something to want to share!

Oh. And one more thing. Sil's Aldrin Whitehair of Highwind will be coming into play pretty soon as things go so don't think you'll be too long without him! Every fellowship worth the name needs a good hobbit in there with you!

Happy The Lord Of The Rings GIF

I like the idea of getting some better gear, be it weapons, armor or something else.

I don't want to go over the level of the module before it's even really started. But that's the way we're headed.
I mean, this is how I end up most of the time in MMOs xD But those will sync me down at least.

So instead, would you guys mind if I rewarded you in items this level around?
Am rogue. More loot is good. ^D^

Seriously, that sounds like a great solution to me.

-----

Looking back through the last chapter and being amused all over again at this.
"Naw, naw, Bria!" Powerpaw goes into explaining the undoubtedly-male-created pastime of arm-wrestling. "See, ya git one dumb guy an' anudder dumb guy - dey ain't never too hard ta find - an' den ya...."
"They ain't never too hard to find" indeed. 🤣

Last edited:
Loot's never bad, think I like that solution. Honestly, I'd happily grab anything that'll keep Aldrin alive while I'm trying to figure out what he actually does =)

I'll go ahead and take a Staff of the Magi. Just to keep things simple. :grinningteeth:

Loot's never bad, think I like that solution. Honestly, I'd happily grab anything that'll keep Aldrin alive while I'm trying to figure out what he actually does =)
Silanon Silanon Aldrin (and this is all up to you, of course!) might be one of those folks who is just trying to figure out who he is and what he wants to do with himself.

The following are just thoughts to consider. =)

With Jaydude's Alisa, life is probably more or less clear. By clear, I mean a Paladin - a true servant of a god or goddess - never lacks for purpose (I say it this way because not all Paladins turn out to be true). They can even pray for more to do if they are feeling like they are not being productive-enough (which can be a Paladin thing!). This is (and you might laugh at this) one reason some Players choose Paladins and Clerics - they rarely don't have to decide what they're doing - only how to go about doing it! Isn't that a nice thing for those who don't want to go through life without a clear compass before them? And there are yet others who sometimes envy the calling of the faithful while others want nothing to do with anyone deciding their fate besides themselves.

Aldrin is unusual in that he is definitely a creature of the divine without being directly commanded or directed by them (as Clerics and Paladins are). He might see himself as a "merc" (mercenary) of the good-aligned gods in and around Highwind (those being Saint Cuthbert, Mielikki, Thor, and in his case, Yondalla), trying to make life better for folks through their eyes (spreading the notions of good sense and retribution; love and nurturing of nature; the defiance of evil, especially from giant-kind; the providing and protection for the needy, especially hobbits).

He might also see himself as one who values them but owes them no favors and therefore sees them as valued and powerful allies, but no more than that. In other words, while Aldrin cannot help but know his powers do not come from himself, but how he goes about having that in his life is completely up to him. =)

There you are! Heya Cap'n!

Yes! "Loot!" =)

I vaguely recall that I was allowed to start off with some kind of bound weapon? I never got around to adding it to my character sheet. 🤦‍♂️

I vaguely recall that I was allowed to start off with some kind of bound weapon? I never got around to adding it to my character sheet. 🤦‍♂️
Looking over the PM where you were building your character, I notice two things you probably want to add to your character sheet. Firstly, the Diamond of Fate:
8. She also begins with one "Diamond of Fate" usually recorded just beneath the Action Points (see Shop Talk for details for this potentially very useful card in your deck).
And secondly, all your non-spell Paladin features. ^;3^
Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a paladin's aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to her paladin level.

Detect Evil (Sp): At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell. A paladin can, as a move action, concentrate on a single item or individual within 60 feet and determine if it is evil, learning the strength of its aura as if having studied it for 3 rounds. While focusing on one individual or object, the paladin does not detect evil in any other object or individual within range.

Smite Evil (Su): (For Alisa, this is at 5 times per day.) Once per day, a paladin can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the paladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the paladin gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the paladin targets a creature that is not evil, the smite is wasted with no effect.

The smite evil effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the paladin rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: Paladin, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level.

Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Lay On Hands (Su): (For Alisa, this is 8 times per day, each time healing 6d6 hit points of damage.) Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/2 her paladin level plus her Charisma modifier. With one use of this ability, a paladin can heal 1d6 hit points of damage for every two paladin levels she possesses. Using this ability is a standard action, unless the paladin targets herself, in which case it is a swift action. Despite the name of this ability, a paladin only needs one free hand to use this ability.

Alternatively, a paladin can use this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures, dealing 1d6 points of damage for every two levels the paladin possesses. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Undead do not receive a saving throw against this damage.

Aura of Courage (Su): At 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions only while the paladin is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.

Divine Health (Ex): At 3rd level, a paladin is immune to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases, including mummy rot.

Mercy (Su):

Per Shop Talk, in Sharseya, mercies have been changed. To wit:

If Alisa chooses Mercy, she would be able to choose them at 3rd level and every three after that, as per the normal rules.
(At 13th level, Alisa would have 4 mercies.) At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, a paladin can select one mercy. Each mercy adds an effect to the paladin's lay on hands ability. Whenever the paladin uses lay on hands to heal damage to one target, the target also receives the additional effects from all of the mercies possessed by the paladin. A mercy can remove a condition caused by a curse, disease, or poison without curing the affliction. Such conditions return after 1 hour unless the mercy actually removes the affliction that causes the condition.

All available mercy options can be found here.

These abilities are cumulative. For example, a 12th-level paladin's lay on hands ability heals 6d6 points of damage and might also cure fatigued and exhausted conditions as well as removing diseases and neutralizing poisons. Once a condition or spell effect is chosen, it can't be changed.
Channel Positive Energy (Su): When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the supernatural ability to channel positive energy like a cleric. Using this ability consumes two uses of her lay on hands ability. A paladin uses her level as her effective cleric level when channeling positive energy. This is a Charisma-based ability.

Divine Bond (Sp): Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin forms a divine bond with her god. This bond can take one of two forms. Once the form is chosen, it cannot be changed.

The first type of bond allows the paladin to enhance her weapon as a standard action by calling upon the aid of a celestial spirit for 1 minute per paladin level. When called, the spirit causes the weapon to shed light as a torch. At 5th level, this spirit grants the weapon a +1 enhancement bonus. For every three levels beyond 5th, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +6 at 20th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon bonuses to a maximum of +5, or they can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: axiomatic, brilliant energy, defending, disruption, flaming, flaming burst, holy, keen, merciful, and speed. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property's cost (see Table: Melee Weapon Special Abilities). These bonuses are added to any properties the weapon already has, but duplicate abilities do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. The bonus and properties granted by the spirit are determined when the spirit is called and cannot be changed until the spirit is called again. The celestial spirit imparts no bonuses if the weapon is held by anyone other than the paladin but resumes giving bonuses if returned to the paladin. These bonuses apply to only one end of a double weapon. A paladin can use this ability once per day at 5th level, and one additional time per day for every four levels beyond 5th, to a total of four times per day at 17th level.

If a weapon bonded with a celestial spirit is destroyed, the paladin loses the use of this ability for 30 days, or until she gains a level, whichever comes first. During this 30-day period, the paladin takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

The second type of bond allows a paladin to gain the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil. This mount may come from the following list:

Medium Paladins: Camel, Elk, Giraffe, Horse, Seahorse, Giant, Yak, Zebra
Small Paladins: Antelope, Boar, Capybara, Dog, Eohippus, Pony, Ram, Reindeer, Stag, Weasel, Giant, Wolfdog

This mount functions as a druid's animal companion, using the paladin's level as her effective druid level. Bonded mounts have an Intelligence of at least 6.

Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount to her side. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin's level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin. A paladin can use this ability once per day at 5th level, and one additional time per day for every 4 levels thereafter, for a total of four times per day at 17th level.

At 11th level, the mount gains the celestial template and becomes a magical beast for the purposes of determining which spells affect it. At 15th level, a paladin's mount gains spell resistance equal to the paladin's level + 11.

Should the paladin's mount die, the paladin may not summon another mount for 30 days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first. During this 30-day period, the paladin takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Aura of Resolve (Su): At 8th level, a paladin is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against charm effects.

This ability functions only while the paladin is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.

Aura of Justice (Su): At 11th level, a paladin can expend two uses of her smite evil ability to grant the ability to smite evil to all allies within 10 feet, using her bonuses. Allies must use this smite evil ability by the start of the paladin's next turn and the bonuses last for 1 minute. Using this ability is a free action. Evil creatures gain no benefit from this ability.

I'm guessing the "bound weapon" you're recalling refers to the Divine Bond ability paladins get at 5th level, which involves choosing between a mount and a weapon. That wasn't discussed in the PM, but was discussed in Adventurer's Table Chapter 16, starting with this post. Per that discussion, you chose the mount, which was later detailed in this post, so Alisa doesn't get a divinely-bound weapon.

I'm guessing the "bound weapon" you're recalling refers to the Divine Bond ability paladins get at 5th level, which involves choosing between a mount and a weapon. That wasn't discussed in the PM, but was discussed in Adventurer's Table Chapter 16, starting with this post. Per that discussion, you chose the mount, which was later detailed in this post, so Alisa doesn't get a divinely-bound weapon.
Yeah, I recall that discussion, but I also recall changing my mind during it. In this post, to be specific.

Ah, good one. I stopped reading too early. In that case, yes, you do need your bonded weapon still. ^D^

Yeah, sorry for lack of posting; I wanted to get some stuff done today but the weather and my brain had different plans. I've... this draining headache that even with medication, sleep, and caffeine is really taking it out of me today. But c'est la vie! =)

Jay, I remember that Alisa went with Divine Bond and I meant to ask if she wanted that bond with her rapier or not (I haven't reread that post). If memory serves, was it Mielikki's favored weapon (shortbow) you went with?

Jay, I remember that Alisa went with Divine Bond and I meant to ask if she wanted that bond with her rapier or not (I haven't reread that post). If memory serves, was it Mielikki's favored weapon (shortbow) you went with?
Yeah, I believe so.

Hope to post sometime tomorrow, Gang! Stay safe and happy! =)

Sherwood Sherwood Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Tag!

Well, one thing I realize I goofed up on - in my focusing on the kobold story, I forgot to mention Luna's success in the destruction of the three remaining ogre-blades the next morning! Whoops! As a result, at this moment, Luna does not have any 6th-level Spells memorized, but remember, you can Memorize one additional time per day (needing only 15 minutes instead of the usual hour, either time uninterrupted).

Sorry 'bout that!

Not a problem. I'll edit her spell list accordingly.

Psychie Psychie
Oreleth stands back, letting the details of the scene sink in as she keeps careful watch. With her bow in hand, she slowly moves around, her head on a swivel as she tries to keep her guard up.

Is there anything else Oreleth wants to do? Just... keep watch? Anything specific?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back