• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

    Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table: Chapter Eighteen

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
All the best for those fortitude saves - don't forget the Kaerri-bonus!
NEVAR! =)

Update! My mind is much closer to being back on track. I've recovered from exhausted to fatigued so I'm not out of the woods just yet, but hey! I can eat solid food again (just not a full meal at once)! And that's great! =)

I'm feeling stronger; I just need to keep taking it real easy until I get back to full strength. As always, vitamins, healthy food, are plenty of hydration are big helpers along with large, large amounts of rest of sleep. I'd love to exercise, but anything besides mild stretching is out of the question for the time being.

If any of you eat the wrong food, contact me somehow and I'll go into more detail! I really appreciate all the love you're sending my way! =)

(It's nice to be able to sit and read and type smoothly on a computer again! Ooh!)

Honor and... I can type again!
Dann =)
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri knows without fail that the widest the cavern gets is about 120 feet (about 36 meters).
How wide is it at the bend right before the "room" where the giants are? Where Kaerri hung out and eavesdropped for a while?
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Kaerri Kaerri I believe that's a 90-ft wide bend. =) (I don't have my things in front of me, but if it turns out to be different I'll let you know.)
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Off-topic here, Gang. =) I just wanted to post this again from my page to here. I've already signed up. But then I've always been a fan of this movie! Right, Sherwood? =)

Heya folks! To any fellow Aliens fans (the 1986 movie by James Cameron), there is a very special event going on. But Alien Theory can tell the tale better than I. "Let's rock!"

 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Heya Gang! Catch up in-game then read the spoiler? =)

I just want to point out these opinions from the NPCs are just that - opinions. Take them or leave them as you will (this is our open sandbox game after all. =)

I'll give it another day or two? Collect opinions in-game and out and then ask Psychie what the party's up to? =)
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I actually would have suggested what Eris did, except I misunderstood how many kobolds were in the village until I went back and looked tonight. (Hence the quotes in my IC post.)

So yeah, it gets my vote. xD
 

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Don't think it'll get mine, I will try to get a post up today or tomorrow.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus YO!

Oreleth says, "We might enrage the giant king if we run, and that would put someone else in their sights. No, let us deal with these four and show them what we are capable of. Time is wasting. Let's do this." She has faith that the Wanderers will be able to pull success out of the bag or else she wouldn't sound so confident.

Hey, Gang? This is about as close to a party leader declaration as I'm going to get without having to ask for it in O.O.C. (which I will to follow my own rules). However, with Oreleth making a statement like this,... now I need to hear from Cap'n.

We haven't heard a peep out of Otiorin for this entire scene and darned if I'm going to ask for an Initiative roll from a PC who might not even know what's going on yet (not that any of you are asking me to; I just feel strongly about this as it's been part of the way I've been DMing since... I've been DMing! Heh!). I can't imagine you guys are thinking to go into battle minus your entire party; Otiorin's part of that party, of course, and there are DMs out there that would, at a point like this, say, "Okay, Otiorin says 'yes' and pulls his hand crossbows out," or what have you. Not me. So before I move as your DM any further toward combat, Cap'n's thoughts (in-game or out or both) are something I realize I require. =)

Hope you're having a good one, friends! =)
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus =)

All hands on deck and in the crow's nest! Has anyone seen the HMS Sniper Kitteh? Keep on the lookout! That rascally vessel could be anywhere! =)
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri jaydude jaydude Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Heya Gang!

Sure we have other games to keep us busy, but I don't want Sharseya getting any more quiet than its gotten. With the exception of Silanon (who's taking a break and will return) and Jaydude (who was the last to post last in-game with a potentially important discovery), please consider this a kindly bump?

Otherwise, the Wayward Wanderers will just stay here in this cavernous tunnel... forevaaaar! Oh noes! =)

Now let's talk party situation here. Real Shop Talk.

In case you're wondering, there is plenty of adventure waiting for you guys, not just here in the tunnel but in other places. So, please don't think this is the only opportunity you'll have for combat (if you're thinking of avoiding it) or... I wish you much luck if you do decide to take on these four Storm Lords under the deal that if you lose this one fight, you lose everything you own (magic items, spellbook, familiar, holy items, unique items, all of it that's currently on your characters).

Then you become their slaves for a month's time (if you don't win, that's going to be horrible to roleplay, but I'll go through with it if it happens because that's the fair thing to do, as rotten as it probably sounds). It also means the Wayward Wanderers start off again with nothing. However, if you win against the four Storm Lords, you get their treasure and the satisfaction of beating them!

Let me be straight up with you guys and give you my honest thoughts here? They're in the spoiler if you're of a mind to hear them. If not, that's fine too! I don't mean to intrude upon your own plans in Sharseya. =)

Sharseya is currently a 13th-level campaign (master-level if you like the term; no longer expert or novice but just entering the big leagues).

My perspective. The Storm Lords. This team of four Storm Lords are a solid team who have their act together and are properly geared up with tricks up their sleeves probably just as bad as the tricks I imagine are up your sleeves. These four are being coached by their king - who is the baddest of his kind - with plenty of experience taking on adventuring parties and other serious challenges.

Our heroes? Each of you are individually powerful. However, the Wayward Wanderers have no combat experience with their three newest members (I'm counting Kaerri, Alisa, and Aldrin here). I should add Mamapaw as a fourth for similar reasons. The core Wayward Wanderers haven't fought at all in a looong time in terms of Real Life (over a year, right?). Save for Kaerri, you're all overall under-geared in one way or another for 13th level combat (a well-armed party of your level often has +3 and sometimes +4 weapons; many of you are still running around with +1 weapons). Plus, you don't have someone in your corner telling you how to fight your opponents (I'm not saying you need it, but it is an advantage the other team has).

If you do win this, I'll be kind of surprised and very happy, but I'll still be kind of surprised. You guys are at a serious disadvantage, serious enough that I've decided to spell it out to make you aware of what you're potentially getting into here.

This is not just a matter of "if we stick together, we'll win!" No. At this level of play, working together is a must. Working together well is even better and often necessary at 13th level. The 1st Edition DM and PC in me must point out that there is also the matters of knowing your Class, your items, your strategy, your battlefield, your team's advantages and disadvantages, and the baddies you're up against. They won't hold back because I don't play that way. So, whichever way you decide to go, the stakes are high.

Mind you, not all battles at this level are like this. Most aren't. But if you go this route, it's a big one.

I recommend asking each other, "What is it you really want to accomplish here at the village of the Kobolds of the Silver Sun?"

One more thing. This is our sandbox so it's all in your hands. One of the many rules I go by is this: a good Dungeon Master lets either the dice kill the players or the players kill the players (in other words, a good DM never goes after the players and you know me - I'm not about to). The choices you make are yours.

So what will the Wayward Wanderers do with Alisa's discovery? The kobolds await, the adventure and whichever direction you choose to take it awaits, and now that Hurricane Ian and everything else getting in the way on my end has moved on, I'm ready to get Sharseya going at its usual pace before something else raises its ugly head in Real Life, right? Hah! Maybe that's another reason I'm telling you all of this? I care about you guys and I want you to have fun! =)

What are your thoughts as players, Gang? Share 'em here! I'd like to see you put your heads together and talk it out as Players! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)
 

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Thanks for your honest feedback on this scene, Dann. The problem that I am having is that I just don't see another way out of this other than fighting these four storm giants. It is either face the four, or face fourteen, and that is a fight I don't see us winning. I think that a combination of a Slow spell on the giants to reduce their actions, a Haste on us to increase our actions, and hitting these guys one at a time to wipe them out while we isolate the remaining giants facing off against us will do the trick.
 

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
We could just free the kobold, and then turn and run. But for Aldrin, it feels like he is there for more - he trusts the guiding powers enough to lead him where his strength is needed, and just escaping doesn't fit the bill. And I, as a player, want to fight because their culture seems to be based on strength, and so showing strength will get their respect. See how the stormlord remembers his prior adversary? Plus, if it ends in slavery, that's not the worst - as long as the storm lord knows to let us do what we're good at, I. e. adventuring. Trying to do good while forced to do evil? Not the worst of plots.
 

jaydude

Four Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Sharseya is currently a 13th-level campaign (master-level if you like the term; no longer expert or novice but just entering the big leagues).

My perspective. The Storm Lords. This team of four Storm Lords are a solid team who have their act together and are properly geared up with tricks up their sleeves probably just as bad as the tricks I imagine are up your sleeves. These four are being coached by their king - who is the baddest of his kind - with plenty of experience taking on adventuring parties and other serious challenges.

Our heroes? Each of you are individually powerful. However, the Wayward Wanderers have no combat experience with their three newest members (I'm counting Kaerri, Alisa, and Aldrin here). I should add Mamapaw as a fourth for similar reasons. The core Wayward Wanderers haven't fought at all in a looong time in terms of Real Life (over a year, right?). Save for Kaerri, you're all overall under-geared in one way or another for 13th level combat (a well-armed party of your level often has +3 and sometimes +4 weapons; many of you are still running around with +1 weapons). Plus, you don't have someone in your corner telling you how to fight your opponents (I'm not saying you need it, but it is an advantage the other team has).

If you do win this, I'll be kind of surprised and very happy, but I'll still be kind of surprised. You guys are at a serious disadvantage, serious enough that I've decided to spell it out to make you aware of what you're potentially getting into here.

This is not just a matter of "if we stick together, we'll win!" No. At this level of play, working together is a must. Working together well is even better and often necessary at 13th level. The 1st Edition DM and PC in me must point out that there is also the matters of knowing your Class, your items, your strategy, your battlefield, your team's advantages and disadvantages, and the baddies you're up against. They won't hold back because I don't play that way. So, whichever way you decide to go, the stakes are high.

Mind you, not all battles at this level are like this. Most aren't. But if you go this route, it's a big one.

I recommend asking each other, "What is it you really want to accomplish here at the village of the Kobolds of the Silver Sun?"
I second Sherwood's sentiment of thanks.

I'm very much new to this whole system, and honestly, if I'd been aware that we'd be facing these kinds of odds, I would probably have pushed for us to not go for the fight against the four storm giants. It's not so much that I'm not a fan of the consequences of losing (assuming we get given an opportunity to recover our equipment or a degree of reimbursement somewhere down the road), but more a case of wanting to avoid fights I've got no chance of winning when I'm a player.
 

Psychie

Princess Psychie
I feel that if we hit one of the giants at a time and whomp it hard, we can eliminate the threat in short order. If Sherwood can hit them with a Slow spell first, that will make a huge difference in the fight. We then target any giant that might not be slowed until he drops.
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I really dislike the risk of losing everything Kaerri has. Some of that, she's acquired over more than 20 years of being roleplayed. Some of it means a great deal to her, and to me as her player. Maybe they're just items to some of you, but I've had these for a very long time, and not just bought in a store, either. I STRONGLY dislike the idea of losing them in a fight we have a high risk of losing, knew it, and did it anyway because other options were skipped over. Nor am I at all enthused over RPing a whole month of in-game time in possession-less slavery, given how very long (in real time) it's taken us to RP just one day. Let's not forget that however smart these giants may or may not be, they are not on the side of good. I can't imagine our being permitted so independent a task as adventuring. I can imagine them doing their best to put all our characters in the same mindless despair as the kobolds are in. And whether they succeed or not, that isn't anywhere near my idea of fun, not for as loooooooong as this is likely to have to be endured in real time.

And yes, Sherwood Sherwood , there is another way out. But it feels like it's been tossed aside without much consideration, even after it was brought up. Frankly, and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I feel there's been a few things brought up by NPCs that have been simply ignored, by some at least, and that's a pity. (Apologies to the few who did consider it and don't blithely ignore NPCs.)

Aldrin believing he's been brought here for more than running away is a valid point, though I would submit in turn that it may just have been the gods wanting him to meet up with us, and this is where we happened to be right then. But the other arguments in favor sound like sheer optimism, and that's not a thing I'm comfortable relying on. Not with these odds. Not with "team" mates new to each other. I think we'd be better off getting combat experience as a team in a situation involving better odds and less serious consequences.

"What is it you really want to accomplish here at the village of the Kobolds of the Silver Sun?"
We came here to help the kobolds. We did not come here to fight evil giants, though if that were the only way it's sort of included. But it isn't the only way. Like I said, I'd've brought up sneaking off myself except I thought there were some kobolds unaccounted for, which I was wrong about. They're all accounted for. They are, all but the ones we've seen in this cave, safe in the wagon, as we can find out if someone goes and looks. Easy enough to grab the ones in this cave. And we've got a flying wagon, folks. If we're quick about it, we can get one heck of a head start.
 

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Well, if we are to go ahead and rescue the kobolds and run with them, where will we go? Back to Highwind? I suppose that is an option that has not been fully discussed. What would you suggest? I am very much against the idea of letting these giants go to wreck more havoc across the countryside, but from what I gather from the hints from Dann, we may not win this fight even with all of our group against just the four giants.
 

Psychie

Princess Psychie
If the overall consensus is that we are not ready for this fight, then lets just bug out with the kobolds and call it even. No need to risk everything we've built up over the years, is there?
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(Heya Gang! I have contacted Cap'n via Conversation and hope he can put his shiny two coppers in soon! =) )
 

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Aldrin believing he's been brought here for more than running away is a valid point, though I would submit in turn that it may just have been the gods wanting him to meet up with us, and this is where we happened to be right then. But the other arguments in favor sound like sheer optimism, and that's not a thing I'm comfortable relying on. Not with these odds. Not with "team" mates new to each other. I think we'd be better off getting combat experience as a team in a situation involving better odds and less serious consequences.
For Aldrin, meeting the group right now is convenient, but not the thing on his mind. Mostly because he believes there is something to do that needs to be done, not just running into folks.

Personally, I like risky fights far more than ones where the outcome is clear. That said: One strong vote against fighting means that, for me, fighting is out of the question, giving the risks.
 

Captain Hesperus

Harbinger of the End Times and Apostle of Ghan
Administrator
Supporter
The way I feel is that even a single giant is a threat to a well-coordinated team, four of them will be a significant risk to our party, especially considering the relative newness, both of party members and players. If we fight, the odds aren’t in our favor of a win, my thoughts are thy it would be down to the wire, even with a healer.

I’m always interested in other options, but I’m not seeing any other ways around this one.

Captain Hesperus
 

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
To be clear, it's not that I don't like the chance of not winning. When there's no chance of failure, why even roll the dice? And steamrolling over things isn't fun either. Challenge is good, but I like to have a reasonable chance of winning, and I'm just not feeling that here. And that bothers me (as y'all probably noticed in the above post), especially with such consequences. (Oddly, I don't think I mind risking character death as much as this. Losing items that I've worked hard for, that have stories attached to them, feels as if I'm losing those stories -- as if that experience never happened. At least when the character dies, they're intact, as it were. And rez spells are a thing.)

I think we have much better odds of getting the few remaining kobold slaves out of the cave, skedaddling back to the wagon, and hightailing it back to Highwind or wherever we'd like to go from there. (No, our characters don't know Bria and Powerpaw got the main crowd into the wagon, but Alisa's gotten a clue to it, and Kaerri can check pretty quickly if her offer is taken up.)

Yes, that leaves the giants to do what they will in the meantime, and no, I'm not pleased with that. But I certainly don't think we can take them all on, so even if by some miracle we killed the four, and their leader kept to the deal (he is evil, remember, and while Kaerri has reason to trust Wave's word, the rest of you are as new to Wave as to Kaerri, and who's to say the giant king hasn't changed since Wave last met him?) -- that still leaves ten of them, well led, until somebody can come deal with it. By the by, it may not be us. There's lots of adventuring parties around (hence the existence of the Adventurers Guild), many of lower level than us, some about the same, some even higher. It might sting to leave a problem unresolved, but if we tell the right people about it, it needn't stay unresolved. And if it does, we could come back when we're better geared and have learned more about each other, and possibly gained a few levels.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Now that we have heard from everyone (and please, do let the discussion continue! Shop talk is always valuable), I think this is the part where I ask your Party Leader Psychie Psychie for declaration of intent here.

And perhaps to leave an in-game post for the sake of the story? =)
 

Psychie

Princess Psychie
Ok, now that I'm back on the 'puter, I'm getting caught up with all my postings.

It would be an awesome fight to take on the giants, but without Bria and Powerpaw adding in their special talents, it sounds like victory is in doubt. Oreleth is going to call on everyone to pull back and get the kobolds to safety first, then and only then, perhaps come back to deal with the giants.

IC post coming up.
 

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Psychie Psychie

Oreleth is going to call on everyone to pull back and get the kobolds to safety first,
I'm not following your declaration here. Details, please. You want to have the entire party pull back to where? The tunnel entrance? The kobold's circle outside? The Wayward Wagon?

How are you wanting to get the three enslaved kobolds who are with the Storm Lords to safety? Are you sending the entire party in or just the quietest members? Is Oreleth taking Kaerri up on her offer or something else?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top