• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other At first I thought I would like the offsite section but...

The_Enchantress-x

I mean this with all respect, of course. I hope I do not get in 'trouble' for posting this but it is just my opinion which I think we should all be able to freely state in a respectable manner.

I think the offsite roleplaying started off as an okay idea. However, I think that it creates a complicated situation when people are willing to either roleplay onsite or offiste. Also, I think it is getting just a bit ridiculous that you cannot even post your discord for ooc in any section aside from the offsite section. I posted mine a few times and it keeps getting deleted. Discord is something that A LOT of people like to at least OOC over, even if they are roleplaying on the site.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way about it. I think it is a bit ridiculous that boards are being forced into a section that not a lot of people look at just because the possibility of roleplaying off site is given. Yet if we post a board in both sections it falls under 'flooding'. It seems like you have to either commit 100% to roleplaying off site or commit 100% to roleplaying on-site. I am sorry but that it just a bit absurd.

I think it is getting just a bit ridiculous that you cannot even post your discord for ooc in any section aside from the offsite section. I posted mine a few times and it keeps getting deleted. Discord is something that A LOT of people like to at least OOC over, even if they are roleplaying on the site
I didn't know this. I agree that this is a bit over-the-top, if this is true. I may not use discord, but I think it should be allowed to be used for OOC chat if needed.

I didn't know this. I agree that this is a bit over-the-top, if this is true. I may not use discord, but I think it should be allowed to be used for OOC chat if needed.

To clarify, users can still use discord for ooc in regular on site rps. We just ask that the link/discord tags be posted either within the RP thread or sent out through PM, rather than putting them in recruitment threads.

You can also now put discord tag in your profile too. They recently added a field for it.

You can also now put discord tag in your profile too. They recently added a field for it.

Yup C:

We basically ask that people share contact, via Off-Site if leaving the site, PMs, or in their roleplays. The other areas are not really meant for that, and it is a little inconsiderate to everyone else who is looking for just onsite stuff. You are welcome to sue Discord servers and stuff for OOC or anything else people want. This is more of an organizational effort of what goes what and where so members can easily find what they want to.

The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard is this not a thing that could be averted with a tag in the interest thread? I don’t personally like going onto the offsite section despite using discord for ooc due to its better notifications for ooc (it becomes a pain when I need to constantly refresh for a three word answer adding the fact that it can quickly turn people off joining partway in to see a huge clunky ooc) realistically a simple [Offsite OOC] should do the same?

The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard is this not a thing that could be averted with a tag in the interest thread? I don’t personally like going onto the offsite section despite using discord for ooc due to its better notifications for ooc (it becomes a pain when I need to constantly refresh for a three word answer adding the fact that it can quickly turn people off joining partway in to see a huge clunky ooc) realistically a simple [Offsite OOC] should do the same?
You are welcome to use Discord servers and stuff for OOC or anything else people want.
"You can't share Discord links in this specific area of the site" =/= "You can't use Discord for OOC at all"

"You can't share Discord links in this specific area of the site" =/= "You can't use Discord for OOC at all"
For me it’s a matter of ooc being the one of the first things people need to use. If I have a question about a specific aspect of it, wish to plan, or don’t understand part of the cs I’m going to go to the ooc. The main thread of rps doesn’t always go immediately up especially if there is a player gathering time period as is typical for group rps.

(Also that could be a deal breaker for some so it should be in the interest thread)

For me it’s a matter of ooc being the one of the first things people need to use. If I have a question about a specific aspect of it, wish to plan, or don’t understand part of the cs I’m going to go to the ooc. The main thread of rps doesn’t always go immediately up especially if there is a player gathering time period as is typical for group rps.

(Also that could be a deal breaker for some so it should be in the interest thread)
Asking questions like this is kind of what the Interest Checks are for. Players want to know if they'd be interested too, so they ask questions about it in the Interest Check thread. That's what I do, anyway. Why is it so hard to just ask there?

Asking questions like this is kind of what the Interest Checks are for. Players want to know if they'd be interested too, so they ask questions about it in the Interest Check thread. That's what I do, anyway. Why is it so hard to just ask there?
This leads back to my first I suppose I don’t want to look at an interest thread with 300 replies if I’m looking for a small group. If I have a dealbreaker question I’ll ask as I express interest but if it’s not, ooc all the way.

BriiAngelic BriiAngelic You can use any thread with discord OOC. The new section only means that if you want to roleplay on discord (not just chat there OOC or plan things on discord etc...) then you make the request on the off-site section. So you should only need to go to the off site section if you are looking for roleplays that are RPed outside of RPN.

One thing I agree with rae2nerdy rae2nerdy on is that I think it's excessive to delete one posting their discord tag on site. It maybe dangerous but I think that much falls on player responsibility and judgment to tell whether it is a risk they are willing to take.

I have to disagree on the unfairness of "being pushed to a less looked at portion of the site". You could say the same about any quest, coliseum or nation building RP, just because they include a genre they belong in places of the site that are less populated. It's not unfair, though it is unfortunate.
Now, as for people who can do eithe, I'd say that falls on which is your primary platform. If you primarily roleplay on discord or another off-site medium, then that's the section you should put it in. If you just happen to have the alternative of using discord to RP if your partner absolutely won't have it any other way, then put the thread on the normal 1x1 search

We don't delete people posting their Discord IDs in general. We even added a space for it in the Account Details section. ^;3^ However, as stated in our rules, we only have the ability to moderate content on our site and on our Discord server, so going offsite is at the user's risk, as is public sharing of any contact information.

What we have been removing is posts offering Discord links instead of RP links or suggestions to PM, when it happens outside the Offsite Ads area and outside the regular roleplay sections. We've had a few cases where users came to us complaining that the interest check only said Discord would be for OOC, but once in the Discord it was made plain that the RP itself would be either there or on another website entirely. As with most rules, one or a few bad apples can spoil it for everyone; thus we haven't been allowing Discord links in any interest checks except those in Offsite Ads.

If you're planning a roleplay that will take place on the site, but you want your OOC on Discord, you're free to offer the link in a PM to interested parties, or in any of your roleplay threads. We just don't want them in the interest check sections. (Remember that anyone can send or receive a PM with only one post now, which will have been accomplished by the posting of the interest check or the posting of a reply to it. And you can invite others to the same PM later if they show interest, you don't have to start a new one each time.)

We don't delete people posting their Discord IDs in general. We even added a space for it in the Account Details section. ^;3^ However, as stated in our rules, we only have the ability to moderate content on our site and on our Discord server, so going offsite is at the user's risk, as is public sharing of any contact information.

What we have been removing is posts offering Discord links instead of RP links or suggestions to PM, when it happens outside the Offsite Ads area and outside the regular roleplay sections. We've had a few cases where users came to us complaining that the interest check only said Discord would be for OOC, but once in the Discord it was made plain that the RP itself would be either there or on another website entirely. As with most rules, one or a few bad apples can spoil it for everyone; thus we haven't been allowing Discord links in any interest checks except those in Offsite Ads.

If you're planning a roleplay that will take place on the site, but you want your OOC on Discord, you're free to offer the link in a PM to interested parties, or in any of your roleplay threads. We just don't want them in the interest check sections. (Remember that anyone can send or receive a PM with only one post now, which will have been accomplished by the posting of the interest check or the posting of a reply to it. And you can invite others to the same PM later if they show interest, you don't have to start a new one each time.)
Ah that makes sense then. Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back