• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Assassin's Pledge: Convergence (Veilbrand)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Cristianna nodded and quietly left the room as Samara went to bed.

That evening, she returned to fetch the Captain as promised.

"The service will begin shortly."

She helped walk the Captain outside and around the back of camp to a small hill where many of their friends and colleagues were gathered. At the center was a freshly dug grave with a headstone reading Here Lies Erik Winfield. Inside the grave was an open coffin, with Erik's body sitting beside the grave on a small stretcher. The damaged side of his face had been cleaned and covered and his hands were placed in a resting position over his chest.

A local Priestess had come to oversee the sendoff, and was standing on the opposite side of the grave while the two Lieutenants, Lee and Ogato, stood beside Erik's body. And both Riley and Bernard were standing nearby not far from the Priestess.

Cristianna led Samara up next to the Lieutenants where a couple of her fellow Captains were also waiting.

"Blessings be upon each and every one of you for attending this service." The Priestess began. "Tonight we send this young soul, Erik Winfield, to meet the Maker. Our Holy Father Eurugon. Though his life was cut short, he gave all for his country and countrymen. Despite knowing the dangers. Despite knowing the horrors of Egruus and his flock. Despite knowing at any moment his most recent breath could be his last... He was here. Fighting for all of Veilbrand."

She turned towards the grave and sprinkled Holy Water over the headstone.

"May the Holy father welcome you to the Eternal Light in heaven. May your spirit sing, dance, and be joyous where no darkness can reach. May you rest peacefully until the end of all... Fahle. ("amen")

Erik's body was then lifted by the Lieutenants from the stretcher and slowly lowered into the coffin. And as they stepped away to the sides, the Priestess raised a hand.

"Would any wish to say any final words of parting or remembrance for Erik?"

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara didn't want to speak, but she felt that she had to. She stood tall, wincing slightly at the pain in her chest.

"Yes, I have something to say."

She gave a brief pause to gather the congregations attention.

"I didn't know Erik, but I do know one thing about him. He was a fighter. When he saw me lying there at the mercy of our enemies he gave his life to save me. He could have remained hidden and waited for rescue, but that just wasn't good enough for him. He was injured and outnumbered, but he fought despite the odds to save his comrade, and for that I owe him my life."

Her words faded, and she felt herself getting choked up. Her voice weakened, but she continued,

"Erik was a true revolutionary, and would have made a fine soldier for the Maiden."

Samara slowly took a knee and bowed her head to Erik's coffin. She closed her eyes, and whispered to herself, "May his death not be in vain."

She remained still for a minute until her posture gave out, and she clutched onto Christianna's arm to avoid from collapsing.

GojiBean GojiBean

Bernard and Riley were next.

"He was young and inexperienced. He was afraid of this war, but he joined anyway. And he was a friend."

"The kid liked to complain and play things safe most of the time. But when it came down to it, he did his job and never looked back. And he-..." Bernard couldn't finish as he was overcome with grief.

"For someone so young, he was as brave as anyone thrice his age. May he rest in peace."

A few other people said some kind words before the coffin was closed with nails driven into the lid to seal it shut before being buried by the small mound of dirt next to the headstone.

Lieutenant Lee cleared his throat.

"Everyone. Tonight we mourn. But come first light tomorrow, it's back to work. Though we take time to grieve our fallen, tomorrow's another day in the trenches and in war. So let tonight serve as a reminder that death is always around the corner."

Ogato put a hand on his shoulder and urged him to take a step back.

"This will conclude the service, everyone. Get some rest. We all need it. And like Lee said, tomorrow's another day. So brace up and get ready to hit it hard. When Egruus dies, everything will have been worth it. And everyone who gave their life, like Erik, will be able to smile upon us all. Dismissed!"

The group began disbursing, with Cristianna looking at Samara.

"Would you like to go back to the infirmary to sleep, or would you prefer to go back to your personal tent?"

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Last edited:
"I think the infirmary would be better, at least until I can walk on my own."

Each step sent waves of pain through Samara's body. She relied on Christiana's help to keep her balance. As the two walked closer to the infirmary, Samara began growing accustomed to the pain. Still struggling, she found her rhythm, and the pairs pace increased slightly. Once they'd made it back to the tent Samara dropped down onto her cot, causing a an intense pain to surge throughout her body. She let out an audible groan, and gently laid back.

"Thanks for the help."

She rested her head on the old flattened pillow and was soon fast asleep.

GojiBean GojiBean

Cristianna nodded and quietly left the infirmary tent. As she stepped out into the cool night air and felt her skin caressed by the gently flowing breeze, she took in a deep breath and let it out on a sigh throuhg her nose. Looking up, she saw a crescent moon and a faint smile graced her lips.

"Pardon, Lady Cristianna." Said her assistant who approached from her left.

"What is it?"

"I just received word from the Lieutenants that the Maiden herself is planning to pass through this area en route to Camp 4. They say she's been looking less than healthy of late, and they want to you intercept her and give her an examination when she arrives."

"Oh my!" She gasped. "Thank you for telling me. I'll be sure to prepare everything for her. Do we know exactly when she's coming through?"

"No, my Lady. Only that she's due to pass through some time in the near future."

"Thank you so much. Please keep me up to date on any developments as they come in."

"Of course, my Lady."

The following morning, Cristianna arrived in the infirmary tent and gave Samara a full examination. She removed her bandages, cleaned and re-dressed the wound, and re-bandaged her while putting her arm in a sling to take the weight off of it and give the muscles a chance to relax and heal more rapidly.

"How does that feel, Captain?"

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara adjusted awkwardly in the sling. She struggled to find a comfortable place to let her arm rest, but just as she was about to complain she found a spot. The pain in her chest noticeably lessened, but remained constant.

"Oh yeah, that does feel better," she gave a short pause.

She attempted to stand, but a surge of pain waved over her forcing her back down.

"Uhh," She blushed out of embarrassment, "I take back what I said yesterday... I think I will need an assistant."

GojiBean GojiBean

Cristianna smiled.

"I'll be sure to speak to the Lieutenants about finding someone for you. Hopefully they're as capable as you need them to be. It wouldn't do to have them stumbling to figure out what you're trying to have them demonstrate now, would it?" She chuckled.

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara gave a sheepish grin.

"I feel like I be the one doing the stumbling." she joked. Her stomach gurgled, "Wow, have you got any food? I haven't eaten since yesterday morning."

"Of course, Captain. One moment."

Cristianna disappeared from the tent and returned a few minutes later alongside her assistant with a rather hefty spread of food on bed trays which were placed on the Captain's cot. Cristianna helped Samara sit more upright, and the trays were adjusted to make it easier for her to use her good arm.

"If you need anything else, we'll be around."

The two women began to leave the tent, but Cristianna stopped at the entrance.

"Oh! I almost forgot." She said, glancing back over her shoulder to Samara. "Please keep this to yourself, but word is that the Maiden will be coming through sometime in the near future. We don't know exactly when. But the Lieutenants, myself, my assistant, and a few of the other Captains are all on alert for the occasion as we're going to need to intercept her and perform a basic health examination. So rest up. Wounded or no, you're going to be part of the protection detail."

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Samara waited patiently for Christianna to return with food. Just as she set the tray down, Samara began to eat. She nodded to Christiana the next time she spoke, but said nothing as her mouth was preoccupied with chewing a bite of bread. She perked up when Christianna spoke again, and nearly spat out her food after hearing the news. She paused for a good while before snapping herself back. She gave a thumbs up in response, and continued with her meal.

She ate the rest of her meal slowly and deep in thought. She had never directly seen the Maiden, so her imagination of what she looks like controlled her thoughts. Her mind was so focused in fact that she had finished all of her food without realizing bit down on an empty fork. It wasn't hard enough to cause damage, but it did hurt her teeth enough to come out of her trance. The anticipation of not only seeing the Maiden, but working directly under her was a major morale boost for her. She set the tray on the beside table and layed back on her cot. Though not particularly tired, she tried to fall asleep. It was not successful, but she would remain in sleeping position for a time, daydreaming about the Maiden.

GojiBean GojiBean

Cristianna smiled and left the tent quietly.

Making her way to the Lieutenants, she informed them of the Captain's request to have an assistant to help demonstrate the techniques she'd be teaching the recruits during training. A simple enough matter, the Lieutenants agreed and informed Cristianna that someone would be ready for Samara when the time came.

She made sure to let Samara know before heading to her own tent to go to sleep for the evening.

Tomorrow, Samara would be expected to go back to work training recruits with her new assistant ready to demonstrate.

As for the Maiden's arrival... No further information was shared other than that Cristianna had already about "sometime in the near future" being a rather vague and open window of opportunity. As Cristianna laid down to rest, she couldn't help but think "Sometimes that woman's sense of security and caution wear me out."

Meekakitty Meekakitty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back