Other Ask an Athiest (better version)

Caffeine Freak

Two Thousand Club
For a while now, I've noticed a rather startling uptick in nonsensical, wince-inducing arguments about people's personal beliefs over an internet medium where none of y'all will ever meet eachother or even remotely care about one another in the first place. I feel this is due to a rooting in people's selfish desire to flaunt their own opinions as facts, with little regard for what other people hold as values in their life.

You are free to ask me any questions you might have, though I hope to make a few things clear before we begin:

First, this is about my own personal experience. Not yours. This is about me rn.

Second, y'all better not judge me. Yes I'm expressing my opinion and yes my opinion is subjective and has the right to be criticized but you don't have to be mean about it!

Third, I am very confident in my own beliefs, enough to argue about it with random kids I've never met, so don't even try swaggering me to your own vicious ends!

Thank you for your consideration. With those three things in mind, feel free to Ask an Atheist! Except don't, actually, go outside and do something productive instead of going keyboard warrior on eachother. Damn.

(this is a joke guys. don't take it serious i just think its kinda funny that people argue about religion on a roleplay site lol everybody just chill out)

That's something I've always found HI-larious. You see all those posts talking about religion and how respectful they're going to be to other people's opinions, yet the second someone's opinion differs from someone else's it become an all out war.

No-one knows for sure who's right or wrong, and as far as I'm concerned I'm not sure it even matters. I'm a flat out "don't believe in any religions" kinda gal. I merrily get on with my life and just try to be the best person I can be. Just the way I am. But I'm more than happy to sit and have someone tell me all about their beliefs. I find that stuff fascinating, truly I do.

At the same time, I cannot respect someone who sits and disrespects anyone who believes in something different. That's not what religion/beliefs are about. Sure, fight for what you believe in, make your arguments as to why you believe in it and why you think it's correct - but don't sit and make folk feel like trash for being different.

There's taking it seriously and there's taking it too far - know the difference folks.

xf5ag2.jpg

I have a question. I hope you don't mind it to be too personal, but do all atheists come from a bad experience with religion?

Here's a real legit question because I want to see how far this goes.

As an atheist what is your moralities and where do they come from?
I am agnostic now but used to be hardcore athiest, most I see follow the wiccan rule of three or they judt believe that being mean and rude is wrong in general, you dont need a godly upbringing to tell you it's wrong to say steal or hurt others, so it mostly comes from the inside and atleast one non a-hole role model or family member.

I am agnostic now but used to be hardcore atheist, most I see follow the wiccan rule of three or they just believe that being mean and rude is wrong in general, you don't need a godly upbringing to tell you it's wrong to say steal or hurt others, so it mostly comes from the inside and atleast one non a-hole role model or family member.

Interesting. It comes from inside you say?

Hm...very interesting.

I am agnostic now but used to be hardcore athiest, most I see follow the wiccan rule of three or they judt believe that being mean and rude is wrong in general, you dont need a godly upbringing to tell you it's wrong to say steal or hurt others, so it mostly comes from the inside and atleast one non a-hole role model or family member.
Completely agree. We learn from those around us - simplest form. I was brought up in a home that didn't go to church or follow any religion so I was free to make my own choice. I don't steal, cheat, kill etc because (besides laws) I have a conscience that tells me it's wrong to do so :)
Other rules I follow because I was taught by role models to follow them.

Interesting. It comes from inside you say?

Hm...very interesting.

I would give an example but I didnt get in trouble as a kid a lot and when I did it wasnt over one of those do onto others kinda things....was really empathic as a kid, still am to this day, maybe because I was reading college level almost at the age of ten? So loads of stuff that my grandma read I read and so not only did I have an incredible role model for a grandmother but I learned lessons from my books aswell.

I don't believe you need God to be a morally right person.

But I do believe it helps.

As an agnostic I believe humans came up with the gods and goddesses of the world for someone to look up to and explain the questions they couldnt get answers to that we can answer now. And for the people who do need religion to stay morally right it's because they need the extra boost and a guideline to help them and if thats what they need thats what they need.

Theres nothing wrong with worship or using a book of god(dess) to help you get through life, especially if you need help keeping a straight moral compass.

Completely agree. We learn from those around us - simplest form. I was brought up in a home that didn't go to church or follow any religion so I was free to make my own choice. I don't steal, cheat, kill etc because (besides laws) I have a conscience that tells me it's wrong to do so :)
Other rules I follow because I was taught by role models to follow them.

You have a conscience. Despite the outside influences you have the inherent "internal voice" influencing you to make the moral choices in life. Does that imply that that is God telling you to do right? Ehhh....maybe. Maybe not. But does it imply that there is more going on inside instead of a just bunch of neurons and synaptic signals going through your brain? Take that in consideration for a moment.

The mind is a conduit, you see. To me consciousness and having a conscience is evidence that there is something that leads to what many have deemed to be "supernatural." However it is difficult to prove this and you really cannot simply write it off as "fairy tales" or hoodoo either. That is if you're approaching this with a scientific mind. Too many variables have not been accounted for and there's too many stones left unturned so to speak, because even the most renowned scientist and psychologist can't explain what makes us..."us." Is this proof that God exists? No, at least to most skeptics it isn't enough, which that's fair I suppose. However if you really think about it it gives some thoughts that this very existence didn't happen over many billions of years just by mere chance? I believe it was designed which leaves even more questions and less answers.

Take note that I did not add a bunch of creationist mumble jumble in this either. Religion takes the "naturalism" out what I see as the closest thing to the truth.

Overall I just think there are somethings in this universe or in this existence not meant for us mere mortal minds to understand. At least not yet.

I would give an example but I didnt get in trouble as a kid a lot and when I did it wasnt over one of those do onto others kinda things....was really empathic as a kid, still am to this day, maybe because I was reading college level almost at the age of ten? So loads of stuff that my grandma read I read and so not only did I have an incredible role model for a grandmother but I learned lessons from my books aswell.

You and I have the same upbringing because my mother and father decided to raise me and my sister in a household where we choose to go to church or adopt a religion by our own volition. Interesting enough I became the theistic one because I rejected the dogma of organized religion but believed in God in my early teens where my sister was an atheist turned agnostic. How would you explain that we both were raised non-religiously yet I became a theist anyway? The problem isn't God. The problem is religion.

Last edited:
I Imperator_tenebrae complete respect <3
You make a lot of sense, and I myself have had those thoughts - what if my inner voice wasn't mine? What if we are all here for a reason, because someone wanted it to be that way.

I'm not saying there's no chance that one God created all of this, that He watches over us all, because I simply don't know that for a fact, so when someone makes the points you do, it does make me question, even if just a little.

Maybe I don't believe because it's simpler to explain my actions on a biological and psychological level rather than try to explain it as the will of a God. I don't know, but I have complete respect for people that can put so much faith into their beliefs that they can make me question it :3

To put it simply whatever brought everything into existence is god, and this god has to be a scientific thing. The things we don't understand or can't explain are that way because we have yet to reach that point of discovery; rather that be because of our available technology or simply an algorithm/theory that's yet to be explained or thought.

On the other hand... scientists believe it was a bang that brought us into existence, why couldn't another bang bring us into existence again? We are made up of energy. Rather our consciousness still remains is a completely different discussion but to say we are not "reborn/reincarnated" is technically incorrect no matter how you look at it. Even if you're atheist. Our bodies decompose and provide nutrients to other living things, they grow, die... and the cycle repeats itself.

In the paraphrased words of my favorite philosopher Alan Watts "there are people who advocate prickles, and people who advocate goo. The people who advocate prickles - they like everything clean, logical, and chopped up into nice little pieces. The people who advocate goo... they like it vague. Life is not simply prickles or goo, life is made of gooey prickles, and prickly goo. You wouldn't know you advocated prickles if there weren't people advocating goo and vice versa." Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Also to suggest I don't care about the people I talk to here on this site is a bold claim, quite preposterous if you ask me.

At the same time, I cannot respect someone who sits and disrespects anyone who believes in something different. That's not what religion/beliefs are about. Sure, fight for what you believe in, make your arguments as to why you believe in it and why you think it's correct - but don't sit and make folk feel like trash for being different.

There's taking it seriously and there's taking it too far - know the difference folks.

I mean... There are quite a lot of passages how you should murder, torture, or in the better/milder cases, valiantly convert those who don't believe in [whatevergodorgodsyourreligionsaysaretrue]. Like... I understand your sentiment, and I guess I sort of agree with it, but that is TOTALLY a part of what religions are about. Like, it's right there.

I mean... There are quite a lot of passages how you should murder, torture, or in the better/milder cases, valiantly convert those who don't believe in [whatevergodorgodsyourreligionsaysaretrue]. Like... I understand your sentiment, and I guess I sort of agree with it, but that is TOTALLY a part of what religions are about. Like, it's right there.
I'm guessing you got that qoute from a different post, and in some cases yes, those are true but I believe it's how you view your bible quaran or what have you, a lot of those are written from an old, old version and are only relevent to the century they are made in.

(sorry for the spelling mistakes, dont feel like correcting them atm, might do so later)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back