Other Ask an Atheist

A likely story. Well when you start out a thread and I quote from your first sentence:

So are we threatening you? Why is it so startling? So many people who aren't part of the "atheist religion" bothers you so much that you start a thread to steer us non-atheist heathens back into the light?

Well if that's the case and if this was the expected response from an equally predicted experience just as you said then why are you getting bent out of shape for pointing out the obvious? You knew this would happen and yet you made this thread anyway with good intentions....and where have those intention got you thus far? And here we are...

I mean if I were to do the same when debating an equally divisive political issue I would be expecting it and not getting worked up on "waaah! hostility!" If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Overall this thread is just an invitation for disaster and a very subtle way of picking a fight with a veneer of "clearing the air" while the contrary is self-evident.

And this is entirely mutual although I'll be brutally honest that I can be one spiteful contrarian, but you all know this already.

Hard to clear the air when the first sentence of the OP has a clear indication of rather dubious perniciousness trying to project civility but it's clearly reactionary.

I can keep this relatively civil. For now.
To be honest I'm not sure what to make of this post or where you're getting most of your reasoning. I haven't always done the best job, but I've tried to keep things civil and promote discussion. If you feel I'm somehow attacking or harassing theists by answering questions about my own viewpoints, I can't really help that, but I do hope we can at least find some common ground.

Despite what you may think, that is ultimately my goal with this thread, not to convert anyone to my way of thinking. If I've left you with that impression that I have ill intent, then I regret that miscommunication and I'll try to be clearer in the future.

Last edited:
Well...shit. Them souls were on sale because they had so much on it. Ah well.

*gets tomahawk and flamethrower* Time to go hunt some football mums then.
Regardless of our respective philosophies, however, I think we can all agree that the would could use less football (or Soccer, over in the States) moms.

PS: Wallmart has a surplus on souls, (because they're former employees)

@Windsock Yes because people obviously just do it for no other reason besides that.
Not out of personal experience or choice, or just oreffering to stay not religious. It's obvious that it's just because it's a kewl thing.
Even though most of the USA (I'm actually gonna provide statistics) http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/
But it's obviously just a fad, it's not like athiesm is the minority and discriminated against in multiple areas. Not to mention questioned to no end.

But sure, not believing in a specific dogma is a fad.
that sure is annoying.

If you knew without a doubt that God or any other deities created the world and watch over it, would you turn over to the religion of said deity(s).

Possibly, it largely depends on the god in question. For example if they demand worship, and what values they want me to adhere to and what the benefits/consequences of doing so if I do or don't.

What if you're unknowingly the god who created us suffering some deistic amnesia, and unknowingly godifyingly controlling things from your emotions and mind? Would you disbelieve in yourself?
Checkmate

If I understand the premise of your question correctly, that's basically the fate vs free will, which has been argued about since the days of yore. It'll take a cleverer man than me to answer that one.

I don't mention my atheism a lot (at least, not anymore.) The only reason I am mentioning it right now is because I feel as though people focus on putting people into categories, regardless of who they actually are. So, this is for the people who dismiss atheists as inherently incoherent. Carrying on.

I think the reason why JayTee was making this thread was because they wanted people to get to know them, rather than get to know a certain facet of them.

Regardless, I know this seems technical and all, but what is your definition of knowledge JayTee, as precise and formulaic as you can make it.

Mine is what I have learned and found difficult to challenge, and can be summed up as "A Justified, True, Belief."

I'm an absurdist agnostic, not a straight up atheist, but I'll willingly toss my two cents in here for the "hell" of it.

Yes, that was on purpose.

What do you think is the most common misconception theists have about atheism?
The idea that people who don't follow Christianity or Judaism or any other religion are completly amoral. Morality is simply what we humans tend to agree on when it comes to good and bad. Just because I don't believe in a deity dosen't mean I think murder's a swell thing. But despite that, I've been called an amoral monster, a satan worshipper, and worse on multiple occasions.

Though I doubt the Slayer shirt helps my case very much.

Last edited:
(Snip for space)

Regardless, I know this seems technical and all, but what is your definition of knowledge JayTee, as precise and formulaic as you can make it.

Mine is what I have learned and found difficult to challenge, and can be summed up as "A Justified, True, Belief."
Hm, for me it would be something along the lines of "Awareness and understanding of a phenomena though reliable, repeatable observation and/or inference."

This may have been asked before I got on here, but...

What are your views concerning Christians? And I do consider your beliefs specific to you and not indicative of all atheists, just so you know.

This may have been asked before I got on here, but...

What are your views concerning Christians? And I do consider your beliefs specific to you and not indicative of all atheists, just so you know.

I believe that Christians are normal people who are set to live for one religion. I went to a catholic school and it didn't capitalize me, and I don't like the American way of religion of christian scientology since acting in a cult or rebel society doesn't make you a free person.

I believe that Christians are normal people who are set to live for one religion. I went to a catholic school and it didn't capitalize me, and I don't like the American way of religion of christian scientology since acting in a cult or rebel society doesn't make you a free person.

I am a bisexual Christian girl who accepts all. I think that if you can choose on your own accord what you believe and what path you follow, rather than accepting the first belief that you are offered... that is what makes you free.

And I can't stand 99% of organized religion, either.

Yes. I was happy when I resented catholic school and found myself in Japan. Now I follow only free nature cultures although some of my religious friends point out that it's a devil's way out of a strict culture.

Yes. I was happy when I resented catholic school and found myself in Japan. Now I follow only free nature cultures although some of my religious friends point out that it's a devil's way out of a strict culture.

Some people are too religious for their own good. One of my best friends is a Wiccan witch who receives her energy from nature and has taught me a few things. As opposed to my parents who claimed a "loving" religion and treated me worse than any other human has ever even hoped to.

I am a bisexual Christian girl who accepts all. I think that if you can choose on your own accord what you believe and what path you follow, rather than accepting the first belief that you are offered... that is what makes you free.

And I can't stand 99% of organized religion, either.

Organized religion is an institution is like anything else bent on "branding" its cause and demagogue their way to the top rather than adhering to a lifestyle based on faith/belief. Modern Christianity has become a rather dysfunctional family of organized religion that paints itself as something good but the actions of its many detractors (aka "Bible thumpers") has blemished the optics. If they want to be anything like the Lord and Savior they first need to stop browbeating people and let them come to you rather than adopting this aggressive doctrine to shove a book down people's throats.

For those who say "it's our Job to preach the Good News" is the type of evangelicalism that invites the level of cynicism once reserved for those who get their messages from awful Chick Tracts. If people want to be saved then they'll find salvation on their own accord then it is your job to preach.

Simply put to a more memetic notion - Modern Christianity: You're doing it wrong!

Organized religion is an institution is like anything else bent on "branding" its cause and demagogue their way to the top rather than adhering to a lifestyle based on faith/belief. Modern Christianity has become a rather dysfunctional family of organized religion that paints itself as something good but the actions of its many detractors (aka "Bible thumpers") has blemished the optics. If they want to be anything like the Lord and Savior they first need to stop browbeating people and let them come to you rather than adopting this aggressive doctrine to shove a book down people's throats.

For those who say "it's our Job to preach the Good News" is the type of evangelicalism that invites the level of cynicism once reserved for those who get their messages from awful Chick Tracts. If people want to be saved then they'll find salvation on their own accord then it is your job to preach.

Simply put to a more memetic notion - Modern Christianity: You're doing it wrong!

As someone once told me... "If you offer it to a person respectfully, he might accept it. But if you shove it down that person's throat, he will choke on it and hate it."

As someone once told me... "If you offer it to a person respectfully, he might accept it. But if you shove it down that person's throat, he will choke on it and hate it."

I like for Christianity to flourish and grow to become to be the dominant belief of the world because I think it's a good idea, but not in its current form however. A lot of work needs to be done to de-institutionalize and not make Christianity into a organized religion but rather a way of life that can suit mostly everyone. I do believe the very basic principle of Christ was to be good to others while being good to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back