Other Ask an Atheist

It could be just me, but it seems like this forum is predominately Christian.
Anyone else perceiving that?

As a side-note: Hello from another atheist.

As a Atheist, here's my problem. Let's say a Muslim, atheist, ect cure cancer or bring world peace, but they are simply sent to hell for not believing in god, how is that fair?

For a while now, I've noticed a rather startling uptick in anti-atheist sentiments, both from private figures and public officials. Since, as an atheist, I feel that most fears are rooted in misunderstandings or potential ignorance of a subject, I thought I'd take a moment to answer questions about atheism to any who find the concept foreign or unnerving.

You are free to ask me any questions you might have, though I hope to make a few things clear before we begin:

First, this is about my own personal experiences with atheism. We are not a monolithic group any more than any other theological group. We all have our own experiences and opinions.

Second, I ask for a mutual withholding of judgement. I recognize that many people find the concept of anthems abhorrent, but the purpose of this thread is to clear the air and help reach a mutual understanding. It's very difficult to do that if people are throwing accusations around.

Third, I ask for a mutual withholding of philosophical promotions. I am not here to try and convert anyone to atheism. Far from it. I respect your right to your religion, and ask only that you respect my right to a lack of one. I will not try to convince you of the "rightness" of my philosophies, and I hope that you do the same for your philosophies.

Thank you for your consideration. With those three things in mind, feel free to Ask an Atheist!
I have to admire your bluntness and tact, and the motivation behind this thread. my parents are both athiests, and as athiests, they tend to be misunderstood. as for my beliefs, I prefer to keep that between me and family and friends. you're awesome!

I assure you I have. I'm just wondering if you're doing this with full awareness of the fact that many 'atheists' are just 'atheists' because it's 'kewl'. You are aware, right?
Where the hell did you get that info? And forgive me for my honesty in advance, but the tone of your writing comes across as very arrogant.

I have to admire your bluntness and tact, and the motivation behind this thread. my parents are both athiests, and as athiests, they tend to be misunderstood. as for my beliefs, I prefer to keep that between me and family and friends. you're awesome!

Thank you for your input! Aristotle said once (paraphrasing) that all evil is born of ignorance and all good is born of knowledge. I don't necessarily study his works extensively, but it's a viewpoint that I have come to adopt.

The more we understand one another, the less likely we are to try and attack one another.

EDIT: Easy now, let's not get aggressive if we don't have to.

Windsock Windsock Yes because people obviously just do it for no other reason besides that.
Not out of personal experience or choice, or just oreffering to stay not religious. It's obvious that it's just because it's a kewl thing.
Even though most of the USA (I'm actually gonna provide statistics) http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/
But it's obviously just a fad, it's not like athiesm is the minority and discriminated against in multiple areas. Not to mention questioned to no end.

But sure, not believing in a specific dogma is a fad.

Guys, easy. I know it's irritating, but this is a thread about sharing our viewpoints, not attacking others. Let's all calm down for a moment and take a few minutes away from the keyboard before we say some things that we all end up regretting.

Hello, another friendly agnostic-atheist here.

I assure you I have. I'm just wondering if you're doing this with full awareness of the fact that many 'atheists' are just 'atheists' because it's 'kewl'. You are aware, right?

As that other guy said, I'm also still not sure why you even made this thread. You acknowledge that atheism isn't based off of a single entity like the Christian Papacy or anything, but you still feel like you have the authority to speak 'as an atheist' and not just your own 'brand' of atheism that other atheists may or may not agree with? Why is that?
That's one the most (no offense) stupid statements I've heard in a while.

What is there to really divert about atheism? It's the most simplistic, straightforward system of 'belief' there is. Wanna know more? It goes like this:
There are no Gods or God.
As simple as that. That's atheism. If you want to go more diverse, you can also be an agnostic-atheist, who are basically: "Well, I don't believe in God because I have no evidence. There MIGHT be a God, but I won't believe unless I see first."

JayTee JayTee

My questions...

What is the meaning of your life?

Don't you ever get afraid of the thought that maybe there is, indeed, a God, and that your atheism can send you to hell?

What made you become an atheist? I'm willing to hear the whole story.
My answers:

In a strictly scientific way, the meaning of our life is to pass on our DNA that dictates everything about us. Our goal in existing is to be a clever machine that can survive with as much DNA as possible and pass it on further; we do this by maintaining our bodies (eating) and passing on said DNA onto biological offspring (breeding.)

If God exists, he will forgive me. Unless you're saying he's not merciful and not willing to forgive me for being wrong under the absence of evidence. In which case he is not benevolent at all, and theoretically; if he is the one who gave me life and shaped me as I am, he is an evil being as he would basically condemn me to eternal suffering for nothing. Then again, this doesn't make sense at all. I'm just rambling. Excuse this rant. I apologize if I hurt you.

I have never seen any supernatural or paranormal event take place in my whole life. Have you? Everything "amazing" about this world can be explained with fundamental science and observed on some plane as a natural process. Plus, no offense, but most Abrahamic religions straight-up don't make sense on a basic level. Let me put it this way:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
― Epicurus

Born: February 341 BC, Samos, Greece
Died: 270 BC, Athens, Greece

It's cool and all to call me out on my shit, but why do people have to dog-pile and do it when somebody else already did it?

And yes, I'm extremely stupid and very arrogant. Incredibly handsome, too!

If you recognize you did wrong, an apology never hurts. Mind you, I'm not demanding you give one, nor will I hold it against you if you don't give one but offering one can be seen as a sign of goodwill.

EDIT: As for the "dog piling", well, I mentioned earlier in this thread that a lot of atheists feel continually harassed by theists who make claims like "you're only atheists because it's cool" or "How do you feel about going to hell when you die?" There's bound to be pushback at such hostility, but I hope we can move past it.

One question I like to ask is do you condone the actions of these asshole atheists that antagonize and agitate religious people, especially Christians?

If you people are supposedly tolerant then deal with your shit before the opposing side does it for you. I don't mean to come across as an apologist but it's a lot easier to kick in the pretentious cod piece of a fire breathing Baptist versus a know-it-all asshole atheist because you people attack in hordes and like dogs you get one barking the whole neighborhood starts barking too.

I've been in far too many forums and debates where atheists have this insufferable arrogance and "I'm superior to you because I don't believe in fairy tales" snobbery towards people who believe in God.

To be fair I have not seen much of that as of yet in RpN but stay tuned.

Last edited:
One question I like to ask is do you condone the actions of these asshole atheists that antagonize and agitate religious people, especially Christians?

If you people are supposedly tolerant then deal with your shit before the opposing side does it for you. I don't mean to come across as an apologist but it's a lot easier to kick in the pretentious cod piece of a fire breathing Baptist versus a know-it-all asshole atheist because you people attack in hordes and like dogs you get one barking the whole neighborhood starts barking too.

I've been in far too many forums and debates where atheists have this insufferable arrogance and "I'm superior to you because I don't believe in fairy tales" snobbery towards people who believe in God.

"You people"

You realize atheists are just a demographic, not a union of any kind? Also tolerance and atheism really aren't inherently linked. I mean, I think logically atheism should free you of prejudice, but it's not like a religion where you follow any sort of doctrine. Being convinced there is/are no God/gods may free you of religious bigotry, but it doesn't magically make you a good person either.

First off, the ones saying nobody else talks about religion are definitely wrong. For sure. Like, 100%. How could they even think that, anyway? Do they look at the forums?

I'm an atheist as well, have been since I was a little kid. One day it just lost me, I didn't have any desire to be religious or even have the belief that those things were true in the first place. My family doesn't know I'm atheist, so I was wondering how your family reacted when they found out, if they even know?

I have no problem with others being religious; be my guest. Do whatever you please, believe in whatever you want, think the things you want to think. But when it gets to the point where you're telling me I'm doomed to Hell, that God will punish me in another life, or something, that's where I draw the line. I have always been respectful of others religions. I even close my eyes and bow my head when people are praying, just out of respect. I don't ask for much in this life, but please for the love of everything, can someone tell these Jehovah witnesses to stop coming by my house every week to make sure I'm coming to some gathering they have? It's been three times already and I just want to play Mad Max. Next time I'm just not going to open the door. Lol.

The same, I think, could be asked of Theists. Many religions espouse the principles of love, tolerance and forgiveness. Yet even in this very thread, which I made for the purpose of clearing the air and reaching a mutual understanding between theists and atheists, the first few posts I got were snarky and judgmental. Even when we got past that and started having a (somewhat shaky) Q and A, there were still theists that popped in solely to attack and harass people for their own viewpoints. When offered a chance to make amends and restore some goodwill, I was met with silence.

I'm not judging anyone who did these things, despite my somewhat critical tone in the above paragraph. As an atheist, these attitudes are, well, to be blunt, expected. The personal attacks and harassment you get just for having a different philosophy are expected and in line with the, hm, "typical" atheist experience when engaging with theists.

So, while I can certainly understand your viewpoint, I can't say that I really sympathize with it. I'll continue to condemn those who attack others for having a different belief, be it atheist or theist, but I hope you understand how difficult it is to muster sympathy for someone who attacks others for their different beliefs when they practice a religion that promotes love and acceptance.

I do apologize of this post is somewhat more hostile in tone. The intent of this thread is to clear the air and promote a mutual understanding, and sometimes to do that you have to be a bit blunt and speak plain. I do hope we can continue to exchange dialog with a higher level of composure and mutual respect after this.

JayTee said:
The same, I think, could be asked of Theists. Many religions espouse the principles of love, tolerance and forgiveness. Yet even in this very thread, which I made for the purpose of clearing the air and reaching a mutual understanding between theists and atheists, the first few posts I got were snarky and judgmental. Even when we got past that and started having a (somewhat shaky) Q and A, there were still theists that popped in solely to attack and harass people for their own viewpoints. When offered a chance to make amends and restore some goodwill, I was met with silence.

A likely story. Well when you start out a thread and I quote from your first sentence:

For a while now, I've noticed a rather startling uptick in anti-atheist sentiments, both from private figures and public officials.

So are we threatening you? Why is it so startling? So many people who aren't part of the "atheist religion" bothers you so much that you start a thread to steer us non-atheist heathens back into the light?

JayTee said:
I'm not judging anyone who did these things, despite my somewhat critical tone in the above paragraph. As an atheist, these attitudes are, well, to be blunt, expected. The personal attacks and harassment you get just for having a different philosophy are expected and in line with the, hm, "typical" atheist experience when engaging with theists.

Well if that's the case and if this was the expected response from an equally predicted experience just as you said then why are you getting bent out of shape for pointing out the obvious? You knew this would happen and yet you made this thread anyway with good intentions....and where have those intention got you thus far? And here we are...

I mean if I were to do the same when debating an equally divisive political issue I would be expecting it and not getting worked up on "waaah! hostility!" If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Overall this thread is just an invitation for disaster and a very subtle way of picking a fight with a veneer of "clearing the air" while the contrary is self-evident.

JayTee said:
So, while I can certainly understand your viewpoint, I can't say that I really sympathize with it. I'll continue to condemn those who attack others for having a different belief, be it atheist or theist, but I hope you understand how difficult it is to muster sympathy for someone who attacks others for their different beliefs when they practice a religion that promotes love and acceptance.

And this is entirely mutual although I'll be brutally honest that I can be one spiteful contrarian, but you all know this already.

JayTee said:
I do apologize of this post is somewhat more hostile in tone. The intent of this thread is to clear the air and promote a mutual understanding, and sometimes to do that you have to be a bit blunt and speak plain. I do hope we can continue to exchange dialog with a higher level of composure and mutual respect after this.

Hard to clear the air when the first sentence of the OP has a clear indication of rather dubious perniciousness trying to project civility but it's clearly reactionary.

I can keep this relatively civil. For now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back