Other Ask an Atheist

JayTee

Eight Thousand Club
For a while now, I've noticed a rather startling uptick in anti-atheist sentiments, both from private figures and public officials. Since, as an atheist, I feel that most fears are rooted in misunderstandings or potential ignorance of a subject, I thought I'd take a moment to answer questions about atheism to any who find the concept foreign or unnerving.

You are free to ask me any questions you might have, though I hope to make a few things clear before we begin:

First, this is about my own personal experiences with atheism. We are not a monolithic group any more than any other theological group. We all have our own experiences and opinions.

Second, I ask for a mutual withholding of judgement. I recognize that many people find the concept of anthems abhorrent, but the purpose of this thread is to clear the air and help reach a mutual understanding. It's very difficult to do that if people are throwing accusations around.

Third, I ask for a mutual withholding of philosophical promotions. I am not here to try and convert anyone to atheism. Far from it. I respect your right to your religion, and ask only that you respect my right to a lack of one. I will not try to convince you of the "rightness" of my philosophies, and I hope that you do the same for your philosophies.

Thank you for your consideration. With those three things in mind, feel free to Ask an Atheist!

Why do you feel a need to make a thread like this when I can't see any other people make similar threads about their religion

Also what kind of things should I ask you?

Own any fedoras?

How many sticks do you have up your ass?

You have any luck with women?
Not quite sure how this is relevant to the thread topic, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have about atheism, though.

Why do you feel a need to make a thread like this when I can't see any other people make similar threads about their religion

Also what kind of things should I ask you?
There are quite a few misconceptions around atheism, so I thought I'd see if people wanted to learn more about something that's not always fully understood.

There isn't any specific thing I want you to ask me, just whatever questions you might have about being an atheist, the atheist outlook or approaches to life.

Well, then, I do believe this is as good an opportunity as any to ask:

1. Do people "over on that side" really believe fundamentalists are in any way representative of even the average christian?

2. I think it would be a bit absurd to deny that in many forms of entertainment nowadays, from books to stand-up comedy, to anime, movies, etc... religious belief and specifically the church are things that tend to be portrayed as a litteral enemy of man, many times the church is either depicted as despicably corrupt, or as a giant conspiracy or they are just outright the villains or whatever is stalling everything. Believing in a greater force is always depicted as a sign of weakness. I find this to be a bit insulting due to how difamatory it is, a strawman that no ones bothers to aknowledges is one. ANd while anyone who gives two seconds of thought to it would be able to tell that is obviously not how the church or religious people really are, some will actually fall prey to this difamation.
So, as a person, is this not indicative of a culture that is actually positioning itself against religious beliefs, specifically Judaism, Christianity and Islam? Or at the very least are the types of media I described not attacking the dignity of faith in general?

I feel like you perhaps have not fully read my second request. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have about atheism, though.

I assure you I have. I'm just wondering if you're doing this with full awareness of the fact that many 'atheists' are just 'atheists' because it's 'kewl'. You are aware, right?

As that other guy said, I'm also still not sure why you even made this thread. You acknowledge that atheism isn't based off of a single entity like the Christian Papacy or anything, but you still feel like you have the authority to speak 'as an atheist' and not just your own 'brand' of atheism that other atheists may or may not agree with? Why is that?

Well, then, I do believe this is as good an opportunity as any to ask:

1. Do people "over on that side" really believe fundamentalists are in any way representative of even the average christian?
Difficult to say. There are undoubtedly some who do, and definitely some who don't. Personally I'm less inclined to judge a person for their brach of religion and more inclined to judge a person based on the choices they make.

(SNIP FOR SPACE)
So, as a person, is this not indicative of a culture that is actually positioning itself against religious beliefs, specifically Judaism, Christianity and Islam? Or at the very least are the types of media I described not attacking the dignity of faith in general?
I think there is a definitely trend towards secularism in the media. I admit that I don't personally think this is a bad thing, I can see how some people might be hurt by this. the interesting thing about depictions of religion in the media is that in order to promote it or abjure against it, it needs to be brought up. There are a lot of works in the media that don't directly involve religion, but invoke themes and principles that make up a lot of religious works. Hopefully this answer wasn't too vague and wishy-washy, but it's a big topic that I don't feel I have the ability to answer properly in what is supposed to be a quick QnA thread.

I assure you I have. I'm just wondering if you're doing this with full awareness of the fact that many 'atheists' are just 'atheists' because it's 'kewl'. You are aware, right?
I'm not so sure I agree. I don't presume to know what's trendy these days. Personally I'm an atheist simply because it's what makes the most sense to me.

As that other guy said, I'm also still not sure why you even made this thread. You acknowledge that atheism isn't based off of a single entity like the Christian Papacy or anything, but you still feel like you have the authority to speak 'as an atheist' and not just your own 'brand' of atheism that other atheists may or may not agree with? Why is that?
IF that's the impression I gave you, then there was a miscommunication somewhere. I don't presume to speak for all atheists, just myself. I'll try to be clearer in the future to avoid these misunderstandings.

Why do atheists always feel a need to come and try to argue with me that my beliefs are fake and I should feel stupid whenever I mention that I believe there's a god or a heaven after I die?

Why do atheists always feel a need to come and try to argue with me that my beliefs are fake and I should feel stupid whenever I mention that I believe there's a god or a heaven after I die?
This is one of those "I can't speak for all atheists" questions, but in the interest of answering the question:

The simple answer is that there are rude atheists and there are polite atheists, and bad luck meant that you met more of the former than the latter.

The more complex answer is that a lot of atheists feel continually harassed by many theists, being constantly told things like "you have no morals without god" or "you're going to hell when you die" or similar unkind things. Some handle that better than others, and some retaliate in kind.

I don't feel the need to impose my philosophies on others. When I find myself having someone else's philosophies imposed on me, I normally try to politely but firmly inform them that their efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Easy now, let's not get antagonistic. While I appreciate the sentiment, this thread is about clearing the air and achieving a better understanding, not showboating how cool our atheism is.

Would you mind if I asked why atheism makes the most sense to you?
Not at all!

To put it simply, it makes the most sense to me because it has the least inconsistencies. To use the classic example, the idea of an all powerful, all knowing all loving figure looking out for the world is certainly an appealing one, but it's difficult believe that and look at a lot of pointless suffering in the world at the same time.

The classic answer from a theist is generally "It's apart of god's plan and you just don't understand" (I'm paraphrasing, mind you), but to me that's not so much an answer as it is a non-answer that just dodges the question and abandons responsibility to some amorphous "plan."

Axel The Englishman Axel The Englishman

Well, my friend. I respect the sun in the same way that tree-huggers respect nature. I believe that it is a glorious heavenly body that deserves my adoration. But it is definitely not a conscious being.

Own any fedoras?

How many sticks do you have up your ass?

You have any luck with women?
I own one that goes with my suit

No sticks but i am homosexual :D

Well no. Refer to previous point.

Still though I loved this comment. You deserve a like.

Depends. Are you jamming it down people's necks. Or are you just sitting there peacefully until the terrible athiest screams at you about it.
Not to antagonize you though.
I really don't care what other people think. Because robots will take us all over and I'll be treating a sawed off like a edible in day now.

I think there is a definitely trend towards secularism in the media. I admit that I don't personally think this is a bad thing, I can see how some people might be hurt by this. the interesting thing about depictions of religion in the media is that in order to promote it or abjure against it, it needs to be brought up. There are a lot of works in the media that don't directly involve religion, but invoke themes and principles that make up a lot of religious works. Hopefully this answer wasn't too vague and wishy-washy, but it's a big topic that I don't feel I have the ability to answer properly in what is supposed to be a quick QnA thread.
Don´t worry, your position is made clear. Thanks for answering me with such civility :)

It's okay to be gay, but you actually own a fedora? Non-ironically?

Fuck, man.

How big of a stick can you fit up your ass?
Well I was raised in a traditional family. So I learned how to properly dress for any job. But yes.

Top kek

Around 10 in

JayTee JayTee

My questions...

What is the meaning of your life?

Don't you ever get afraid of the thought that maybe there is, indeed, a God, and that your atheism can send you to hell?

What made you become an atheist? I'm willing to hear the whole story.

JayTee JayTee

My questions...

What is the meaning of your life?

Don't you ever get afraid of the thought that maybe there is, indeed, a God, and that your atheism can send you to hell?

What made you become an atheist? I'm willing to hear the whole story.
Can I answer as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back