on keyboard and mouse.
As I am starting to move into larger works, I
am being provided the opportunity to invest in
a tablet. I've looked at them for a while, but I thought
I would reach out to those who would know them
best!
Which tablet do you use, and what do you love
about it? Which would you recommend, and
any you would tell me to stay away from?
<3

I'm not good enough to be called an artist, but I draw for fun and occasionally use tablet for work.

I've been using Wacom tablets since 2005 and only had to change them twice, mostly because they got so old that their drivers weren't supported anymore.
The most comfortable size that I found was A4. However if you plan to use it for large professional works maybe you might want to look into a bigger size.

Currently I'm using Wacom Cintiq 13HD. I got it two years ago so there might be newer models by now.
I LOVE IT. I've been using a normal tablet without a screen for all my life lol but once I switched to a screen-tablet I can't go back anymore. Technically, nothing changed - it's the same work area, same pressure sensitivity... but the feeling of actually seeing a line right under your pen nib is amazing. Not saying it's necessary, but it was definitely a quality of life upgrade for the better that was noticeable. I personally found it a lot more comfortable to draw with it.
The only thing I don't like about it is that it's rather heavy and the stand for it is quite flimsy compared to other models, but I didn't have much issues with it so far.

However, a friend of mine who got a more recent Cintiq model was not too happy with its qiality, it had a dead pixel right from the start and some issues with the drivers. She might just have been unlucky but there's that.

A few of my friends who also use sreen tablets are happy with Huion tablets. They cost less than Wacom so you can get a bigger size Huion for the price of smaller Wacom. I heard no complaints about those but have no personal experience with them either. And some of the artists I followed on deviantart said good things about Xp-pen tablets but I also had no experience with them so can't say much.

So, I work as a graphic designer at my
place of work, but I have always worked
on keyboard and mouse.
best!
<3
I can whole heartedly recommend Wacom Intuos! I use a medium. It’s easy to get used to, and you can set 4 hotkeys on the tablet itself (like undo, etc) and 2 on the pen. It comes with 3 spare nibs too.

I can show you my settings on it in PMs if you decide on this one.

I am personally saving up for one with a screen just because I don’t have a big screen at uni to use a normal one with. But otherwise, if you have a decent sized display, definitely check that one out.

I'm not good enough to be called an artist, but I draw for fun and occasionally use tablet for work.

I've been using Wacom tablets since 2005 and only had to change them twice, mostly because they got so old that their drivers weren't supported anymore.
The most comfortable size that I found was A4. However if you plan to use it for large professional works maybe you might want to look into a bigger size.

Currently I'm using Wacom Cintiq 13HD. I got it two years ago so there might be newer models by now.
I LOVE IT. I've been using a normal tablet without a screen for all my life lol but once I switched to a screen-tablet I can't go back anymore. Technically, nothing changed - it's the same work area, same pressure sensitivity... but the feeling of actually seeing a line right under your pen nib is amazing. Not saying it's necessary, but it was definitely a quality of life upgrade for the better that was noticeable. I personally found it a lot more comfortable to draw with it.
The only thing I don't like about it is that it's rather heavy and the stand for it is quite flimsy compared to other models, but I didn't have much issues with it so far.

However, a friend of mine who got a more recent Cintiq model was not too happy with its qiality, it had a dead pixel right from the start and some issues with the drivers. She might just have been unlucky but there's that.

A few of my friends who also use sreen tablets are happy with Huion tablets. They cost less than Wacom so you can get a bigger size Huion for the price of smaller Wacom. I heard no complaints about those but have no personal experience with them either. And some of the artists I followed on deviantart said good things about Xp-pen tablets but I also had no experience with them so can't say much.

Soooo good to know! I've been torn on
whether to invest in one with a screen or not.
Won't lie, the new iPad Pro looks heavily tempting
but I'm not sure work will let me spend that
kind of money 😅 So I'm likely to go for something
else.
I am doing a large PC upgrade in the next few months,
and now that I am working full-time from home I
imagine I will also up upgrading my monitors too.
So these are all great things to keep in mind! Thank you! <3

I can whole heartedly recommend Wacom Intuos! I use a medium. It’s easy to get used to, and you can set 4 hotkeys on the tablet itself (like undo, etc) and 2 on the pen. It comes with 3 spare nibs too.

I can show you my settings on it in PMs if you decide on this one.

I am personally saving up for one with a screen just because I don’t have a big screen at uni to use a normal one with. But otherwise, if you have a decent sized display, definitely check that one out.
Oh! I love HotKeys! If I get this one
I will definitely ask for your help with some setting
recommendations! <3

I think all of the bigger ones A4+ size have hotkeys and that's also very nice.

Also the pen doesn't need to be charged unlike IPad.

If you're not going to invest into a screen tablet then Wacom Intuos is a very good alternative.
It's what I've been using from 2005 lol older models obviously but only can say good things about them.

Wacoms are like the vampires of the tablet world. I had a Wacom intuos 3 for at least ten years and it's still going! I don't use it any more really as a client gave me an intuos pro large last year. I'd say something to bear in mind is that the larger the drawing surface the less arm/shoulder tension you build up. I noticed the difference straight away when I moved on to the bigger size.

I'm not especially keen on screen tablets for a similar reason - it's hard to find a position to work in where your body is comfortable. If you don't tilt your tablet enough you can get neck problems. You have to balance the needs of your eyes/neck and your arm/hand/shoulder and something has to give. Also they are expensive XD

I can second onmyoji in that a lot of people say huion is good, I know a lot of people who work on those.

I just bought a Huion, myself.

I got one of the standard (non-screen) tablets for under $100USD. I've had it for a little around a month, so not exactly long enough to get a good feel for it, but it hasn't spontaneously imploded into a black hole, yet.

My initial thoughts are: Very light (almost too light). The cord seems to be in a precarious position that might get accidentally bumped/broken off. Good pen sensitivity. Verygood pen feel, in the hand. Programming the buttons doesn't seem to work quite right. Compatible with my 20-year-old illustration program, which is A++.

So, welp, we'll see. v(._.)v

I personally wouldn't recommend an ipad like a lot of people do because you cant rest your hand on it while drawing. I have a Cintiq13 and love it but I've also heard they're overpriced an a few friends of mine have tablets they claim are just as good for about half the price. I agree that wacoms last forever though. My last one lasted me about 9 years until I just wanted to upgrade. Still works too!

So let's say that my boss is... um,
'ignorant', and doesn't understand why I need a
tablet to do graphic design vs. a Mouse & Keyboard.
How would you visually show the difference
in what can be done with a tablet vs. mouse?

I'd probably give him a big fat crayon (one without a point on it just to drive it home) and make him draw something using the huge blunt crayon held in his left hand. And then ask why he can't draw as well as he could with a nice sharp pencil in his right hand.

I'd probably give him a big fat crayon (one without a point on it just to drive it home) and make him draw something using the huge blunt crayon held in his left hand. And then ask why he can't draw as well as he could with a nice sharp pencil in his right hand.
😂 😂 😂 😂

Well, honestly, I think visually showing a difference isn't going to work.

Because, personally, I draw just as well with a mouse as a I do with a tablet. (Heck, even though I've just bought a tablet, I'm still inking with my mouse, because I like it better.)

But! Tablets will save you tons and tons of time over working with a mouse. That's the angle you'd play up. A tablet, once you're comfortable with it, can increase productivity by so many. :V

Tell him to draw a circle on a piece of paper. Tell him to do it as quickly and perfectly as he can.

Then tell him to draw a circle with a mouse in MS paint, and match the speed and quality he did on the paper.

Results speak for themselves.

Tell him to draw a circle on a piece of paper. Tell him to do it as quickly and perfectly as he can.

Then tell him to draw a circle with a mouse in MS paint, and match the speed and quality he did on the paper.

Results speak for themselves.

Basically just give him a series of drawing challenges until he gets so fed up with you making him draw things that he gives in and buys you a tablet.

(Heck, even though I've just bought a tablet, I'm still inking with my mouse, because I like it better.)

I'm always shocked and impressed when people can draw well with a mouse!

@All:
Thank you so much for these wonderful suggestions!
We have agreed that he is ignorant but hopeful,
so this girl is getting a tablet!
🥰 🥰
In short order I will be the mother of an
Intuos Pro <3

@All:
Thank you so much for these wonderful suggestions!
We have agreed that he is ignorant but hopeful,
so this girl is getting a tablet!
🥰 🥰
In short order I will be the mother of an
Intuos Pro <3

Congrats!

How many drawing challenges did you need to get him to complete? XD

Congrats!

How many drawing challenges did you need to get him to complete? XD
Congrats!
Thank you, thank you!
Luckily, none! I had him do his own research
on the products, and then watch a youtube video
on why designing with a tablet is easier and more
cost-effective than a mouse 😂
He compromised with me on the size and cost.
I think I would prefer to have a Cintaq in the end,
but for the cost and usability at the moment we
are going to agree to start with the Intuos and
upgrade me in a couple years.

Intuos Pro is still a very good choice ^^
And once you get used to it you'll see whether you need to upgrade or it's enough to what you want to do.

Intuos pro is a great tablet! I'm really happy with mine. (The best part is having about 15 extra pen nibs hidden in the pen stand...and the scroll wheel)

So, I work as a graphic designer at my
place of work, but I have always worked
on keyboard and mouse.
best!
<3

If your work is paying for it. Get a Cintiq and call it a day. Flex on the rest of us lowly plebs. Otherwise yeah the lower end Wacom Tablets, Huion, and XP Pen are all solid choices.

Edit: Kind of posted this without reading the rest of the thread. Nice though. Hopefully everything goes well and you get that upgrade lmao.

Great question, luxy!

Currently I am ordering a small huion h610 v2 pro, I haven't tried it yet, but ill let you know on updates.

To be fair, kindle tablets are best and cheap as a mobile perspective. While sometimes the fire os is buggy at times, if you figure out to de bug it, it's worth it. Bonus, if you break the tablet, you can trade it back to Amazon and get another for 50% off.
One downside is as I mentioned before, the os is buggy at times (only on old models).
Overall, if I would put Amazon kindle and iPad pro in a fight, the pro would win in performance, but the kindle would win in price.

For a computer perspective, it really depends on what features, you want and don't need, and obviously the price. The price varies from used, cheap ones, to new pricy ones, to the cintique pro and mobile studio pro, topping at the most expensive. The go to tablet is a Bluetooth wacom intuos if you have a laptop or even a server model.

My conclusion is it all depends on what you need, the price, and whether mobile or not.
Hope this was a helpful answer to this thread

If you need a relatively cheap pen tablet to try out, I suggest the turcom brand. About 80$ max and so if it shits the bed not too much lost whereas none of my friends have had good Wacom experiences (and I enjoyed a huion display now, so I don’t have any comment on that)
Edit: realized they already made up their mind, but still suggest this for the future if anyone else is looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back