• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Request Artist Alliance? Here on RPN!

AliceNWeb

Creative Endeavoring
Hello! I'd like to preface this by saying that I am in no way an expert but let's move on - I have noticed there are a lot of artists here on RPN both established and novice... I was wondering if any of you had any desire to build an art community here on RPN? I think it would be cool to house it under one thread with important links, questions, feedback, etc. Being hosted there. Like the roleplay threads but for art. I know this is ambitious but the reason I made this thread in the first place is to meet the artists of RPN - learn about your experiences, how you came to be, get tips and critique.

I'd love to hear from all of you fellow artists... show me the work you are proudest of and I guess let me ask questions? If this turns into a larger thread then we could perhaps offer something to the community on a larger more organized scale. Is anyone interested in an artist alliance? I figure it would be good momentum to keep each other going with questions, motivation, inspiration, etc. :)

Hi, I figured I'd start by posting this. I used to draw alot as a kid and then stopped. Years later I became interested in drawing again and started practicing daily. I made a breakthrough in my quality and created the drawing below, it took a really long time just to get to that point. I wanted bad to make another breakthrough but I got scared knowing the sheer amount of work involved and promptly quit drawing again. I still sketch a tiny bit from time to time but no longer put in the hard work required to "get gud". Thanks for looking.
elfy_stare_smiley_face_by_simonhawk454-daysj1v.jpg

Hi, I figured I'd start by posting this. I used to draw alot as a kid and then stopped. Years later I became interested in drawing again and started practicing daily. I made a breakthrough in my quality and created the drawing below, it took a really long time just to get to that point. I wanted bad to make another breakthrough but I got scared knowing the sheer amount of work involved and promptly quit drawing again. I still sketch a tiny bit from time to time but no longer put in the hard work required to "get gud". Thanks for looking.
View attachment 520682
Wow I apologize for the late response for some reason I wasn't notified. I like your drawing the proportions are correct and the hair isn't over-thought. It's alright to feel overwhelmed with all of the work required. But I find it easier to take things one step at a time, instead of focusing on the whole process all at once or everything you don't know... just focus on one thing, practice it until you're comfortable and move on to the next thing you want to improve.

No one is expecting you to be Picasso, don't be so rough on yourself :) Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk

Wow I apologize for the late response for some reason I wasn't notified. I like your drawing the proportions are correct and the hair isn't over-thought. It's alright to feel overwhelmed with all of the work required. But I find it easier to take things one step at a time, instead of focusing on the whole process all at once or everything you don't know... just focus on one thing, practice it until you're comfortable and move on to the next thing you want to improve.

No one is expecting you to be Picasso, don't be so rough on yourself :) Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk
Thanks! You are nice.

Just wanted to give this a little bump, if any of you have cool tips or common practices you use for figure drawing or anything else I would greatly appreciate your input here, as I'm sure others would as well!

I always found it was easier to draw people with a series of circles and lines, as for hands, you want a square like shape with an arch as well as another one on top of it, for example1547648331044.png

Here is an awesome channel to watch.
Proko
If you REALLY want to "dew teh arts" then you go here. Period.
Watts Atelier

I do enjoy Proko. I actually found Jim Lee and Kim Jun Gi through Proko and have been using a lot of their methods.

I was more referring to personal tips and tricks to make drawing easier - like there's this one of an artist draw the abs as a really weird cat face and now whenever I think about drawing a torso I think of that drawing.

I always found it was easier to draw people with a series of circles and lines, as for hands, you want a square like shape with an arch as well as another one on top of it, for exampleView attachment 527415
Ah you're using skeleton guide lines (lines of action). They're helpful if you're having problems with a pose or perspective.

-----------------

Don't throw video links at the question, let's get creative! Tell me about YOUR drawing tricks :)

Here's a drawing tip I've recently learned; if you're doing cartoony illustrations and want to give it a "softer" look, or maybe give it a more "mainstream anime" appearance, try to duplicate your finished work, put the copy on the top of your layers, use gaussian blur on it and then lower the opacity until you've reached the desired effect. It's a little subtle but it is easier on the eyes for most people.

Last edited:
I do enjoy Proko. I actually found Jim Lee and Kim Jun Gi through Proko and have been using a lot of their methods.

I was more referring to personal tips and tricks to make drawing easier - like there's this one of an artist draw the abs as a really weird cat face and now whenever I think about drawing a torso I think of that drawing.

Ah you're using skeleton guide lines (lines of action). They're helpful if you're having problems with a pose or perspective.

-----------------

Don't throw video links at the question, let's get creative! Tell me about YOUR drawing tricks :)

I'm not creative OR a good artist, that is why I posted links, they are my tricks for those of us like me, lololol ^_^^_^

What I always like to do to get original ideas going is watch some tv and such and snag a few things here and there then jumble it up into a story, then make the characters and such, that’s how I was able to create most of the things on my art dump

Feeling a bit down today - would appreciate anyone that can help me out. I just need inspiration so... drop your favorite artist's Arstation and I'll check them out :)

I enjoy an artist by the username "Artgerm" you probably already know of him, if not he is so great! I love his copic marker drawings. I hope you feel better soon.

I enjoy an artist by the username "Artgerm" you probably already know of him, if not he is so great! I love his copic marker drawings. I hope you feel better soon.
Ah yeah I've seen a lot of their work I think I've mistaken them for Sakimi though their art styles are very similar

Oh, I do love Artgerm!!

A couple of artists I admire and give me some juice when I'm low are, Zeenchin and Cushart, just to name two, hope you feel better!

There are two artists that I absolutely adore and get some inspiration from
1. Michelle Czajkowski
2. Deep Sea Prisoner (sensitive content on this one so discretion is advised)
Also, hope you feel better

Hellooo, I'm a trash doodler who's not yet comfortable posting her own art

Actually here goes nothing.

Here's something I ended up drawing earlier. Probably needs to be fixed a lot, but I ended up learning about using 3D volumes right after drawing these. Oh also they're like incomplete-ish and very simple so yeah. I'm still learning, got into art because I wanted to draw my own characters in the stuff I write.

OH YEAH EDIT: Watch all of Proko's stuff. Like, just all of it.

EDIT 2: Drawabox | A free, exercise based approach to learning the fundamentals of drawing THIS RESOURCE IS GREAT. I don't mean to throw links at you, but I've recently picked up drawing solid things (like buildings and what not), and it's certainly helped with figuring out the human body as well.

SmartSelectImage_2018-12-27-16-49-24.pnggurl no

SmartSelectImage_2018-12-27-16-27-43.pngew haha

Fuckme.png ignore the gross arm, shit looks like paper and i lost motivation before i could fix the actual muscles

EDIT #5: I'm currently coming up with dumb tips but one of them is contrast apparently. I recently learned the difference between black and white (shocker!?) and am currently trying to figure out how to make things glow and stand out.

Last edited:

Here's something I ended up drawing earlier. Probably needs to be fixed a lot, but I ended up learning about using 3D volumes right after drawing these. Oh also they're like incomplete-ish and very simple so yeah.

EDIT 2: Drawabox | A free, exercise based approach to learning the fundamentals of drawing

THIS RESOURCE IS GREAT.

View attachment 528379 ignore the gross arm, shit looks like paper and i lost motivation before i could fix the actual muscles
I think these are great starts! I know I wasn't nearly as detailed at first, keep doing good!

Here's something I ended up drawing earlier. Probably needs to be fixed a lot, but I ended up learning about using 3D volumes right after drawing these. Oh also they're like incomplete-ish and very simple so yeah. I'm still learning, got into art because I wanted to draw my own characters in the stuff I write.

EDIT 2: Drawabox | A free, exercise based approach to learning the fundamentals of drawing THIS RESOURCE IS GREAT. I don't mean to throw links at you, but I've recently picked up drawing solid things (like buildings and what not), and it's certainly helped with figuring out the human body as well.

View attachment 528379 ignore the gross arm, shit looks like paper and i lost motivation before i could fix the actual muscles

EDIT #5: I'm currently coming up with dumb tips but one of them is contrast apparently. I recently learned the difference between black and white (shocker!?) and am currently trying to figure out how to make things glow and stand out.
Yeah I agree these are a good start.

Two tips: If you can draw it traditionally this will challenge you because you don't have instant correction tools at your disposal and will actually make you improve faster.

Also don't get stuck just drawing busts try and practice the full form there's nothing wrong with focusing on certain parts though, just make sure to add some variety into your arsenal. :)

You can use the saturation method D duegxybus choose a color pallet then desaturate that color pallete for the background and paint your subject with more saturated (vibrant) colors. Subtilty is a blending friend as well.

Yeah I agree these are a good start.

Two tips: If you can draw it traditionally this will challenge you because you don't have instant correction tools at your disposal and will actually make you improve faster.

Also don't get stuck just drawing busts try and practice the full form there's nothing wrong with focusing on certain parts though, just make sure to add some variety into your arsenal. :)

I wish I knew how to use the correction tools at all T.T I just use the soft eraser for the pencil. But thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

As far as the full form goes, well, I do draw the whole body every weekend. I just posted the busts because those were the only things I was okay with, lol ^^

I've been trying to contain the body inside a box for perspective, but of course that usually falls flat. So instead it's just been drawing shitty mannequins and trying to figure out how to get muscles down quickly.

EDIT: Line of Action THIS. For "gesture" drawing. I've been using the drawabox method (it seems to be gone now?), but it's basically drawing with intent rather than "feeling out" the figure. It's easier for me ^^

You can use the saturation method D duegxybus choose a color pallet then desaturate that color pallete for the background and paint your subject with more saturated (vibrant) colors. Subtilty is a blending friend as well.

Oh, jeez, I didn't know this was a thing. Unfortunately I haven't looked much into color theory aside from a few YouTube videos, so I don't really know how to pick colors other than "Hey, I like this!" and "Hey, this looks like alien vomit!" I'll definitely start incorporating color and posting (not just drawing) full body stuff soon.

Thank you SO MUCH for the feedback though!! I really appreciate it! Glad I found this thread too! 💖💖

I wish I knew how to use the correction tools at all T.T I just use the soft eraser for the pencil. But thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

As far as the full form goes, well, I do draw the whole body every weekend. I just posted the busts because those were the only things I was okay with, lol ^^

I've been trying to contain the body inside a box for perspective, but of course that usually falls flat. So instead it's just been drawing shitty mannequins and the like.

Oh, jeez, I didn't know this was a thing. Unfortunately I haven't looked much into color theory aside from a few YouTube videos, so I don't really know how to pick colors other than "Hey, I like this!" and "Hey, this looks like alien vomit!" I'll definitely start incorporating color and posting (not just drawing) full body stuff soon.

Thank you SO MUCH for the feedback though!! I really appreciate it! Glad I found this thread too! 💖💖
Of course! Again - I'm not expert either but I tend to retain a lot of the knowledge my favorite artists talk about frequently and try to pass that on to others. Someone who talks for ages about color and lighting principles (but is really good) is Borodante:

He's Ukraine so his accent is a bit thick with some words but I like him a lot.

Edit: Don't be so hard on yourself! You'll get there with dedication and practice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back